How can Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey fix the mess?

I am asking you? How do you fix this mess? I am not talking about a series of responses that recommend major trades.

The Bills need to weed out the non performers and set a reasonable goal for the season.

I waive a few players that gave up on Sunday and move practice players up to the 53 man roster,if they quit I waive them too!

I audition new players every week at nearly every position.

This sends the right message to the players and fans. This is from the book of Bill Parcells. " If you quit, I will find somebody that won't"

I attempt to trade Aaron Maybin today, if there are no takers, I waive him, See Ya! He is not getting any better and he is not even on the field anymore. I am all for patience but at some point you need to dump these guys. Maybin makes big money and he is basically worthless. A VERY BAD SITUATION FOR ANY TEAM.

The Bills have got to make changes now before the fans completly abandon the team.

Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey have got to do something and I assume they will!

Edited by Another Point of View

I am asking you? How do you fix this mess? I am not talking about a series of responses that recommend major trades.

The Bills need to weed out the non performers and set a reasonable goal for the season.

I waive a few players that gave up on Sunday and move practice players up to the 53 man roster,if they quit I waive them too!

This sends the right message to the players and fans. This is from the book of Bill Parcells.

I attempt to trade Aaron Maybin today, if there are no takers, I waive him, See Ya!

The Bills have got to make changes now before the fans completly abandon the team.

What does trading Maybin do? Yes, he sucks horribly but will that make Nix draft better? Will it make Ralphy open up his pocket book? Will it make top free agents want to come to Buffalo? Will it make the O line better?

They gave their answer last week when they resigned Kelsay...same ol same ol from this POS orgization.

:sick::bag:

What does trading Maybin do? Yes, he sucks horribly but will that make Nix draft better? Will it make Ralphy open up his pocket book? Will it make top free agents want to come to Buffalo? Will it make the O line better?

They gave their answer last week when they resigned Kelsay...same ol same ol from this POS orgization.

Nobody will trade for Maybin. I'd cut him today because it sends a message that if you're not good enough, you're not going to be around, no matter what round & how recently you were drafted. We have to get the loser mentality out of the locker room. I'd cut McCargo today too. What good is a guy who is 0 for 4 in activations on this team unless he's a developmental rookie?

When we get a QB and some players other players want to play with, free agents will come here. Just look at the 1990s when top free agents wanted to play with Kelly, Thomas, Reed & Smith.

How to fix this? Look at the Dolphins... Saban out, whoop, whoop here comes Cameron to safe the day, some changes in front office and here we go fans... Errr oops 1-15. Following year they turn it around by getting a solid coach and a real complete revamp of their FO, major shake out with the so-so talent and suddenly they have a competitive team.

From reports I got at the Stadium, Wood and Maybin were benched.

Maybin has got to show reasonable improvement or he is wasting a roster spot!

This sends the right message to the players and fans. This is from the book of Bill Parcells. " If you quit, I will find somebody that won't"

I attempt to trade Aaron Maybin today, if there are no takers, I waive him, See Ya! He is not getting any better and he is not even on the field anymore. I am all for patience but at some point you need to dump these guys. Maybin makes big money and he is basically worthless. A VERY BAD SITUATION FOR ANY TEAM.

For one, if the fans have't abandoned this team yet, they never will, and you know what, Ralph knows that, which is why he doesn't give a crap about winning. Gailey and Nix won't fix this team, these clowns are cheap hires by Ralph, and it shows on sundays. This team is worse than any team that Jauron put on the field, and seems more clueless each week. As bad as this team is, and as bad as Maybin has been, he was a first round pick just a year ago, so it is probably too early to give up on him, since he really isn't much worse than the rest of the team. I would like to see him in tackling drills, maybe using Nix and Gailey as a tackling dummys, so we can get their useless asses out of town.

I want our offensive minded coach to put Jackson at running back, he won the job last year and is much better than Lynch. Put Spiller in the slot and use him like Welker. Design some new routes for Evans to get the ball in his hands on a regular basis whether it be screens, short slants or quick passes at the snap. Move him around the field to different spots. Ensure he gets the ball regularly, period. Thats a start.

Defense needs to go back to 4-3 and send blitzers and put some pressure on the QB. If we get burned, so be it, we need to be competitive. This defense is way too passive...

I have news from a ex beat reporter that says Maybin was yanked again and Woods was not happy on the sidelines.

I think Woods in playing at around 80%

When is Woods gonna earn all that money he's getting? He must have felt real stooopid sitting next to Maybin on the seat warmer.

What's most discouraging to me is Nix has had one off-season to improve the team and he has failed miserably. He is an alleged draft expert but his first draft looks really bad. I don't think he was able to get even one quality everydown player. Didn't address LT and QB which were the biggest needs. The Bills organization is a dysfunctional inept disgraceful mess.

three things will fix this team:

1. a draft

2. another draft

3. picking up good middle tier free agents

oh and maybe another draft

And you have the confidence this can be done?

From reports I got at the Stadium, Wood and Maybin were benched.

Maybin has got to show reasonable improvement or he is wasting a roster spot!

Let's get this straight, Maybin is horrible. I do not need stats to know this, just watch the guy. He has ZERO instincts for the game. That being said, a young LT is not out there.

This team doesn't need a message, they need a mission statement! :bag:

1. a draft

2. another draft

I agree. However let's just hope they get those drafts right and pick the right players....

I want our offensive minded coach to put Jackson at running back, he won the job last year and is much better than Lynch. Put Spiller in the slot and use him like Welker. Design some new routes for Evans to get the ball in his hands on a regular basis whether it be screens, short slants or quick passes at the snap. Move him around the field to different spots. Ensure he gets the ball regularly, period. Thats a start.

Defense needs to go back to 4-3 and send blitzers and put some pressure on the QB. If we get burned, so be it, we need to be competitive. This defense is way too passive...

He would need to start calling running plays more often to begin with, then he has to call running plays that will actually work for a 3-4 yard gain. But before he does that... he will need to coach the O linemen to actually block their opponents and not just whiff over and over.

When is Woods gonna earn all that money he's getting? He must have felt real stooopid sitting next to Maybin on the seat warmer.

It appears he is still injured, but you make a great point.

For one, if the fans have't abandoned this team yet, they never will, and you know what, Ralph knows that, which is why he doesn't give a crap about winning. Gailey and Nix won't fix this team, these clowns are cheap hires by Ralph, and it shows on sundays. This team is worse than any team that Jauron put on the field, and seems more clueless each week. As bad as this team is, and as bad as Maybin has been, he was a first round pick just a year ago, so it is probably too early to give up on him, since he really isn't much worse than the rest of the team. I would like to see him in tackling drills, maybe using Nix and Gailey as a tackling dummys, so we can get their useless asses out of town.

My experince with Ralph is he is always one step ahead of disaster, however,he is slow to react.

It appears he is still injured, but you make a great point.

My experince with Ralph is he is always one step ahead of disaster, however,he is slow to react.

I think the offense is progressing. The Jets were a game away from the superbowl last year. They are good. We scored a few points against them. If the defense could have made a stop or two the game would have been closer. The defense was just the way the coaches drew it up. You block this guy and he blocks that guy and we run through the hole, oh wait, that is the jets talking. Our defense played just the way the jets coaches drew up the plays. Even better than tackling dummies. Good job Chan and Edwards. Where is Fewell when we need him.

Some think a few drafts will fix this team? Yeah, we need more witners, Mccargo's, and Maybins. A new scouting dept would help too.

The thing that bothers me most (by a mile) is the signing of Kelsay. This just goes to show they STILL have no idea what is going on and are clueless when it comes to talent evaluation. If this order came from Ralph, then I think you know the answer as to when things will change.....

Not that I advocate some of Tom Donahoe's less desirable excesses, but if he were GM this upcoming offseason I would be reasonably confident the Bills would attempt to sign ILB David Harris of the Jets and OLB Lamarr Woodley from the Steelers. They're both being asked to wait until the offseason to get extended and are more or less disgruntled as they watch teammates get paid while they sit on rookie contracts. They're also two of the best young 3-4 'backers in the NFL. In the case of Woodley, I read an article from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that gave credit to Doug Whaley for scouting and recommending him to the Steelers' brass. Those 2 guys alone would change the defense immeasurably.

Not that I think this will ever happen in a billion years.

I'd also pray to Semos that Andrew Luck declared, the Bills pick him and then trade their 2012 1st and whatever else to get back into the high 1st in 2011 and take Gabe Carimi. Also not likely to happen (also, not that the Bills trading back into the 1st round this past decade has spelled anything but imminent doom).

The Bills have got to make changes now before the fans complety abandon the team.

So you are suggesting very strongly that the Bills start flailing and thrashing around, waive the players that thought were best during OTAs and preseason willy nilly, play practice squad players and anyone else they can find to sign, just to stop the fans from "abandoning the team"? And this is going to make them play better and/or help the (alleged) rebuilding that is going on?

Dude, take a deep breath, back away from the keyboard and get laid or something. You are losing it :)

Tom Donahoe was the last Bills GM to actually take steps to make the team better. They often failed but they were specific actions with a clear vision of what the team was going to look like. It just didn't work, because he didn't have the eye for talent to pull it off.

1. a draft

2. another draft

Unfortunately, I think you are right. We have a lot of good drafting to do, to not only fix the obvious holes at QB, O-Line, D-line, LB, but also to replace the failed 1st round picks we already have.

Whitner has desire, but is not a good safety. He's too small and not fast enough, and misses too many tackles.

McKelvin is a good athlete, but from what I've seen since he joined the Bills, he has absolutely no 'football sense'. He seems unable to read or anticipate plays, which has resulted not only in him NOT being a clearcut starter (which he should be by now), but also getting burned for scores on a regular basis.

Maybin was just a bad pick. The guy had 1 good season at Penn State, and I'm guessing Jauron and company must have been watching the same piece of film over and over again before deciding to pick him. He simply isn't physical enough and I think we may have the next Erik Flowers on our hands.

Same with McCargo. I'm not sure what motivated them to pick this guy, as he was undersized even as a 4-3 tackle. Apparently they thought that playing on the same D-line as Mario Williams would rub off.

Pozluzsny competes hard and makes a lot of tackles, but doesn't cover very well, and is a band-aid.

Remember everyone poking fun at Matt Millen and the Lions a couple of years ago because they had so many horrendous drafts? Welcome to the new Detroit.

Edited by pioniere

I'll take a stab at it!

1) Draft Ryan Mallet.

2) Keep Fitzy. He's a great backup and a smart guy to mentor him.

3) Offer RT Jeremy Trueblood a 6 year deal for 60 million dollars. Give him 20 million up front and guarantee another 10. Too much for a RT? Of course, but do it anyway.

4) Trade down (if you get a great offer) in round 2. Make sure the deal includes a #1 in 2012. You know, like the one we passed on to draft Byrd.

5) Dedicate the draft to OL and front 7. We might have a player in Nelson at WR, and later round picks can be used to fortify the receiving corps.

6) Give priority to players from Alabama. The entire team is great.

How about that? Can you see any of the above happening?

Unfortunately, I think you are right. We have a lot of good drafting to do, to not only fix the obvious holes at QB, O-Line, D-line, LB, but also to replace the failed 1st round picks we already have.

Whitner has desire, but is not a good safety. He's too small and not fast enough, and misses too many tackles.

McKelvin is a good athlete, but from what I've seen since he joined the Bills, he has absolutely no 'football sense'. He seems unable to read or anticipate plays, which has resulted in not only in him NOT being a clearcut starter (which he should be by now), but also getting burned for scores on a regular basis.

Maybin was just a bad pick. The guy had 1 good season at Penn State, and I'm guessing Jauron and company must have been watching the same piece of film over and over again before deciding to pick him. He simply isn't physical enough and I think we may have the next Erik Flowers on our hands.

Same with McCargo. I'm not sure what motivated them to pick this guy, as he was undersized even as a 4-3 tackle. Apparently they thought that playing on the same D-line as Mario Williams would rub off.

Pozluzsny competes hard and makes a lot of tackles, but doesn't cover very well, and is a band-aid.

Remember everyone poking fun at Matt Millen and the Lions a couple of years ago because they had so many horrendous drafts? Welcome to the new Detroit.

I believe in patience with Players but the entire lineup lacks physical players.

Maybin is a mistake, cut ties before money becomes a problem with the players

I am asking you? How do you fix this mess?

I'm going to assume the Bills will stick with Nix and Gailey...I just doubt Ralph will do much about that...I'd like to see Whaley get even more responsibility this Off Season...

Modrak has to go...Nix or Whaley need to get their own Guy in that Position...It's a must...It has to happen...The whole Scouting Dept has to be looked at...Pro Player Dept as well...Top to bottom...They need to re-double efforts in these areas...Triple efforts in these areas...The Bills have been WAY behind the rest of the NFL in these areas since JB and AJ Smith left town...The list is a mile long...McGahee, Kelsay, Losman, Tim Anderson, Parrish (Vincent Jackson went 6 picks later), Whitner, McCargo, Youboty, Edwards, McKelvin (ahead of Rodgers-Cromartie), Hardy, and Maybin...Those names are 1st-3rd Round Picks since 2003 that are either gone (5 including 2 QB's!!!), not Starters (4), or Starters performing WAY below the organizations expectations (Whitner and Kelsay)... That record is SO brutal it's almost impossible to imagine...They have to get back into the business of finding quality football players...Period...It's not a quick fix and it's not going to show up in wins and losses over night...But it can happen quickly...There are plenty of examples in recent NFL history (KC, Miami, New Orleans, etc)...

The Bills need to Trade Marshawn Lynch and get a Pick for him...

They need to get a Young QB and build around him...We'll see who that guy is going to be soon enough...But whoever it is, they need to get it right this time...

Build the O-Line and continue to build the Defensive Front seven. Get more physical, and for God's sake Draft some tough guys...

Build this Team around Buffalo NY!!! Run, stop the run, and beat the living crap out of opponents when the weather goes bad...Break the will of these teams...Stop trying to be cute and be a physical...Build a tough, hard nosed, blue-collar Football Team...

Don't suck... B-)

They can both turn in their resignations, It will help immensely :D

That coupled with a big ass "For Sale" sign in front of stadium would do wonders for this organization as a whole.

So you are suggesting very strongly that the Bills start flailing and thrashing around, waive the players that thought were best during OTAs and preseason willy nilly, play practice squad players and anyone else they can find to sign, just to stop the fans from "abandoning the team"? And this is going to make them play better and/or help the (alleged) rebuilding that is going on?

Dude, take a deep breath, back away from the keyboard and get laid or something. You are losing it :)

I am quite sure they are already doing the things in bold.

What's most discouraging to me is Nix has had one off-season to improve the team and he has failed miserably. He is an alleged draft expert but his first draft looks really bad. I don't think he was able to get even one quality everydown player. Didn't address LT and QB which were the biggest needs. The Bills organization is a dysfunctional inept disgraceful mess.

Agree that they didn't address the most important needs, but you fail him (miserably) after 4 frikkin' games?

Don't most drafts take 3 years to really show how well they worked out?

Not rocket science, except to the Buffalo Bills.

1. Draft Quarterback. Repeat until you have good quarterback.

2. Fire coach and hire real, respected football coach.

3. Enjoy being able to sign quality NFL-caliber free agents, now that you have 1. and 2.

To win in the NFL, you need a coach and a quarterback. With that, you can get the other pieces in place (i.e. fix the offensive line. No decent free agents will come to Buffalo to solidify the unit - the easiest unit to solidify via free agency - without a good coach and quarterback around to lend hope and credibility).

Or, you can go the Bills route. Keep drafting running backs and corners until the team folds.

Good to hear from a fellow realist...

I honestly don't get why so many posters here are in complete denial about the definite lack of progress in the Nix / Gailey first year. They already had a draft and failed to address the major areas of needs, they already went through one free agency and the best they could find was Cornell Green?

I don't need another 3-4 years of a loser drafts and free agency periods to see that these two suck, Nix / Gailey.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if someone in the FO like Jeff Littmann hires a staff of lackeys at Minimum wage to flood this board with moronic posts of how this is going to take time... meanwhile most of the fans buy into that BS and give the team another 3 years of "rebuilding" It will keep the fans coming to the games, buying merchandise, the stadium filled along with the owners pockets WTF not, it has been working well for 10 years :bag:

Nix could resign.

Gailey could try to do something with the talent he's got, which would mean som pretty exotic maneuvering to compensate for not offensive line (two tight ends, using a fullback to protect?) Emphasizing the running game (two backs.)

Aggressive special teams play (on-sides kicks, fake punts) Going for it on fourth downs more often.

Defense? Try to keep the defense off the field (go for it on fourth) go for a time killing run game on offense. Balls to the wall pass rush (as if we have people to actually do such a thing.)

I think the number one thing for turning the ship around is to dump nix and gailey at the end of the season.

Turn Maybin into a tight end. He has the speed and size. Anybody know if he can catch?