What position would you draft...

I just read a really interesting interview on the Buffalo Rumblings blog with one of SB Nation's draftniks, Dan Kadar. Like many other people who scout college players, he admits to having rated Locker WAY too high. In fact he claims that the only blue-chip QB prospect out there is Andrew Luck.

My question is, if Luck isn't available, in which direction do the Bills go with their 1st round pick? What's really interesting is that, so far, there are no demonstrably elite offensive tackles this year; in many of the mocks I've seen, there's not an OT taken until late in the first round.

If the Bills are in a high enough position, I would love to see this team take DE/OLB Robert Quinn out of North Carolina. The guy's a pass rushing monster, which is obviously an area of huge need. I wouldn't mind Georgia WR AJ Green either to give some kind of spark to our offense.

Any thoughts? Here's the link to the Rumblings article, by the way:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/10/2/1724169/rumblings-draft-scouting-kadar-interview-week-5-preview#storyjump

Edited by FightinIrishBills

If QB were not available, or if the guy we want is not available when we pick, then I would say pass-rush DE who can play 4 whole downs of football would be priority. My list would be as follows:

1.) QB

2.) DE who can get to the QB

and

3.) a franchise LT.

In terms of importance, I would say that sums it up.

I'd love to see a solid TE, #2 WR, and a really good LB in the mix, but we could fill that out with some shrewd drafting (might be difficult if Modrak is still in charge of scouting) in the 2-7th rounds.

BTW- how would 'circling the wagons' and dreams of a Super Bowl for Buffalo fare with a QB named Luck?

Edited by Red

I just read a really interesting interview on the Buffalo Rumblings blog with one of SB Nation's draftniks, Dan Kadar. Like many other people who scout college players, he admits to having rated Locker WAY too high. In fact he claims that the only blue-chip QB prospect out there is Andrew Luck.

My question is, if Luck isn't available, in which direction do the Bills go with their 1st round pick? What's really interesting is that, so far, there are no demonstrably elite offensive tackles this year; in many of the mocks I've seen, there's not an OT taken until late in the first round.

If the Bills are in a high enough position, I would love to see this team take DE/OLB Robert Quinn out of North Carolina. The guy's a pass rushing monster, which is obviously an area of huge need. I wouldn't mind Georgia WR AJ Green either to give some kind of spark to our offense.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/10/2/1724169/rumblings-draft-scouting-kadar-interview-week-5-preview#storyjump

Mallet has first round talent.

An impact player at LT or DE/ LB.

Really depends on who is else is there but if Bell looks good for the remainder of the season I would look for a player that could help our front 7.

OL

QB

OL

OL

OL

LB

OL

(Do you see the theme here? keep drafting offensive linemen until we get some that can play)

im with you but........

OL

QB

OL

QB

OL

(haven't had much luck with qbs either)

Fixed. Shouldn't be too hard given the current needs list. But please God, not another running back.

Lets just draft defensive front seven so we can finally stop the run. Our defense can be top ten next year if we find a player like Ray Lewis in the draft.

Well QB is the way to go in the 1st, but if the QB the Bills want is not available then OLT would be 2nd on my list. After that we need a WR, but drafting a WR early in the 1st round probably would be a bad spot to select one. We need a ORT somewhere in the first 4 rounds I would say...and yes we always need more LB's especially in the 3-4 defense. We probably have other priority needs as well, but QB, OLT, WR, de/OLB, probably are our most desperate needs.

I would draft the best OT available, and I wouldn't care if I was "reaching" over 20 picks according to the draft "experts and gurus". Take a look at every franchise LT and/or good starting RT on the best OL's in the NFL today. Find out where they were drafted. Without researching, I would be willing to guess that the majority of them were drafted below the top 5 picks of their respective drafts. OK, so Donahoe missed with big Mike Williams in Hall of Shame fashion back in 2002. Perhaps the biggest bust in Bills history of the draft. But for every one Mike Williams, there are 3 Mike Ohers' proving NFL GM's correct, when it comes to first round OL's. They don't bust like first round QB's, that's for sure!!

So if Nix doesn't think one of the QB's is his man, fine. It's time he comitted to a first round OL for this franchise, once and for all!!