I hate to ruin your draft plans

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys have got to find these Quarterback threads funny. Buffalo fans are determined to find that franchise quarterback and any thoughts otherwise will draw a severe bashing.

This happens every year and last December it was Clausen. He will surely go #2 in the draft right behind Bradford.Yea right!

Bradford was the class of the Quarterback pool. There is nothing close this year. Sorry guys

I understand the fact that it's way to early to talk about who is going to be the top quarterback at the end of the year, but you're wrong to think that no one compares to Sam Bradford this year. From the way scouts are talking, Andrew Luck (if he comes out) projects to be an even better qb than Bradford. I know there is no way to predict how it will play out, but I can't see the Bills having a top five pick and not selecting a qb. We have a lot of needs, but quarterback should be number one on the list. I just cant see how the Bills can justify going another season with either Fitz or Brohm as the starting qb.

I understand that, Bill - in fact, where don't the Bills have issues? JMO, but I honestly believe the franchise if moving in the right direction and that it's also not outrageous to think we'll finish 8-8 either. Maybe better, now that we have a QB that will at least try to throw downfield if we're behind with a minute left.

He did that to a D that was torched by other QBs. Maybe the offense comes around, but I can't say the same about the D as the bodies keep falling. After watching the action around the league after 3 weeks, I'd be hard pressed to find 4 wins this season for the Bills.

This years crop of QB's does not rank a low #1-#3 selection in the draft.

There is no Peyton Manning, Sam Bradford, John Elway.

I hate to ruin your plans but the Bills don't need to lose to move up in the draft.

Truth is I would take Fitzpatrick or Brohm over any of these guys. :flirt:

Since you can't name any of this "years crop of QB's" you obviously haven't watched any games this year because Luck was better than our QBs last year and Mallet has more talent than all of ours combined.

Hey Dan, we agree!

I like some of these guys but SOME fans are talking about investing the #1 overall pick on an "Above average class of QB's. Now if a Manning was availble or a Bradford, then go for it!

Wasting a top #1 for these guys will solve nothing!

Do you realize how ignorant you sound saying Bradford = Manning right now? The kid has played in 3 games so far, I think it's a little quick to put him in the Hall of Fame, don't you?

Yes after the season Locker had last year, he was projected as a high first round pick, but if you have watched him this year you might have a different view. I understand if everyone is not sold on one of the qb's yet, but if at the end of the year Luck, Mallet or Locker are considered to be elite qb's and lock top ten picks I can't see the Bills passing on one of them. I understand the point of drafting the top offensive tackle, but until you get a quarterback nothing will change in terms of competing for a playoff spot. Look at Cleveland who has a franchise left tackle (Joe Thomas), but continues to be at the bottom of the league every year. You can win with an average offensive line (see the Colts), but you need a top qb. At the end of this year if none of the top qb's project high, than you take a position of need. Eventually the Bills need to stop signing back-up qb's and drafting projects, they need to get a franchise qb.

The thing I hate about these threads are idiot fans thinking players like Locker are first round locks when in reality they sucked all along and still continue to suck, yet they are still "first round locks"

- The NFL commitee of whatever that crap is called didnt even give locker a first round grade.... WHICH IS WHY HE DIDNT DECLARE.

I hate to ruin your plans but the Bills don't need to lose to move up in the draft.

Did you just buy a magazine?

You are crazy! Why would you want Fitzy or Brohm over one of the top qb's in this draft. And by the way if Jake Locker came out last year he would have probably been the first pick over Bradford. This is a quarterback driven league and if you can get a stud you will be set for years. You find your qb and build your team around him. You can use the Colts as an example, who have an average o-line, but have one of the best qb's in football. I just don't understand why you would want to stick with Fitzy or Brohm, who are average back-ups at best.

Peyton manning is possibly the best qb ever. Ur example is not even close to reasonable. Is this you russ brandon?

Personally, I'd rather see BPA in 1st and take a chance that one of the QBs in a deep class will be there in 2nd or 3rd if a QB isn't BPA, especially if one doesn't separate himself from the pack.

Regardless of Bama, those arguing for Mallet should take a look at the abysmal second half of the Georgia game minus the last drive. As for Bama, he gave them the points... those were some pretty ugly picks to throw when your team is up by 13. Unlike the broadcast team who thought he was trying to throw the ball out of bounds at the end, I think he was trying to hit his back. He's got the balls to throw and a good arm, but his accuracy needs work.

For those saying we can't go through another season with Fitz, unless Brohm steps up I think we do just that (unless whoever we draft progresses really quickly). No sense throwing a rookie to the wolves before he's ready when you have a QB with second string talent but a good (albeit, crazily huge) head for the game to set the perfect bar for when to put your "future" into the game. Let him learn how to "think" NFL football behind Fitz for a while, and put him at the point that he gives you a better chance to win.

Yes Jake Locker was being projected ahead of Bradford last year.

No, he wasn't.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/18/locker-didnt-get-a-first-round-grade-from-advisory-committee/

"As pointed out in the Associated Press article regarding Locker's decision not to forgo his final season of college eligibility, Locker had submitted his name for consideration to the NFL Collegiate Advisory Committee, which estimates where a player might be drafted.

Despite a proclamation by ESPN's Todd McShay that Locker would/should/could be the first overall pick, a league source tells us that Locker didn't receive a first-round grade from the Advisory Committee."

He did that to a D that was torched by other QBs. Maybe the offense comes around, but I can't say the same about the D as the bodies keep falling. After watching the action around the league after 3 weeks, I'd be hard pressed to find 4 wins this season for the Bills.

Well we all have our opinions. I guess my crystal ball isn't as clear as some others, what with 13 games to be played and the Bills tied with 4 teams, within 1 win of 9 others, w/in 2 wins of still 15 more, and only 3 games back of the league's last 3 undefeated teams.

Some people 'throw in the towel' a lot sooner than others, I guess.

That is both enlightening and simultaneously meaningless to me. Because if the Bills simply use the next draft to improve the pass rush DL, run stopping DL, and all the LB positions, I'd be more than happy to wait another year for the Superman QB.

Edited by TheChimp

Bradford was considered a worse prospect than 3 or 4 of this years QB coming out...

How is Mullett better then Brian Brohm?

Think Carefully before you comment :rolleyes:

Ryan Mallett, like it or not, is going to get serious consideration for the #1 overall Pick...He is almost assured to go in the Top 5...Keep in mind he's only a Jr. and he has definitely gotten better every year...Granted Brian Brohm was once considered a potential high 1st Round Pick...But he ended up being a 2nd Round Draft Pick that could not beat out a 7th Round Pick to be the back-up in GB...Now...Maybe Brohm will turn out to be a good NFL QB...It's still possible...But at this point, when you're talking about purely potential, there is no comparison between Mallett and Brohm...And until Mallett comes into the NFL and underachieves the way Brohm has (up to this point) that's going to stay the same...

Mallett clearly has the stronger arm and is a bigger dude...Both are being Coached in the same College system, the difference is Mallett is going up against superior competition...I don't think either one is a great scrambler, but I guess Brohm would get the edge there...It's still early, but Mallett is projected to throw 30 TD's and complete almost 69% of his passes...If that happens he ends up with a slightly better Season than Brohms Sr Year...But only slightly...

So I guess the answer to your question is that at this point there is really no telling if Mallett is better than Brohm or not...But if The Bills have a chance to draft Mallett they better be 150% sure Brohm is better should they decide to pass...Cause they simply can't afford to be wrong on this one... B-)

How about we let the kids finish their season before making a final decision?

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The OP "hates to ruin my draft plans" by giving his opinion. Yeah, cause his opinion is going to ruin my plans, particularly when it's way too early to evaluate these QBs.

Ryan Mallett, like it or not, is going to get serious consideration for the #1 overall Pick...He is almost assured to go in the Top 5...Keep in mind he's only a Jr. and he has definitely gotten better every year...Granted Brian Brohm was once considered a potential high 1st Round Pick...But he ended up being a 2nd Round Draft Pick that could not beat out a 7th Round Pick to be the back-up in GB...Now...Maybe Brohm will turn out to be a good NFL QB...It's still possible...But at this point, when you're talking about purely potential, there is no comparison between Mallett and Brohm...And until Mallett comes into the NFL and underachieves the way Brohm has (up to this point) that's going to stay the same...

Mallett clearly has the stronger arm and is a bigger dude...Both are being Coached in the same College system, the difference is Mallett is going up against superior competition...I don't think either one is a great scrambler, but I guess Brohm would get the edge there...It's still early, but Mallett is projected to throw 30 TD's and complete almost 69% of his passes...If that happens he ends up with a slightly better Season than Brohms Sr Year...But only slightly...

So I guess the answer to your question is that at this point there is really no telling if Mallett is better than Brohm or not...But if The Bills have a chance to draft Mallett they better be 150% sure Brohm is better should they decide to pass...Cause they simply can't afford to be wrong on this one... B-)

Even if Brohm is great, it's a tough call to pass on a 6'6" 240 lb.

'...gigantic, outsized savant-Sasquatch of a quarterback with an arm capable of passing exceeding the word passing. Ballistics might be a better term, particularly when he begins lobbing balls down the test range a piece.'

(link - THE PUNISHER STANDS ALONE)

And if the size of Mallett's contract gives Ralph angina, trading Mallett would probably get the Bills about a half-dozen future draft picks. (But if Buddy Nix says Mallett's the guy - the legitimate QB of the future, the 'Second Coming' of Jim Kelly - Ralph will open his checkbook.)

Before the season, the consensus on here was that there were five franchise guys this year. Myself (and several others) pointed out that it looks that way every year, and that you have to wait till the end of the year before you even try to evaluate these guys.

Now the consensus is closer to what you're saying here. But guess what. It's still too early to decide, and three or four weeks from now, you'll likely be looking as wrong as the guys who guessed too early did three weeks ago.

We'll at least have an idea about their body of work after the season. Till then, what you have there is called a guess.

Before the season, the consensus on here was that there were five franchise guys this year. Myself (and several others) pointed out that it looks that way every year, and that you have to wait till the end of the year before you even try to evaluate these guys.

Now the consensus is closer to what you're saying here. But guess what. It's still too early to decide, and three or four weeks from now, you'll likely be looking as wrong as the guys who guessed too early did three weeks ago.

We'll at least have an idea about their body of work after the season. Till then, what you have there is called a guess.

Myself thinks yourself is probably right. But myself is also curious whether yourself has any preference or inclination about this year's 'top dogs' thus far? B-)

Edited by The Senator

'...gigantic, outsized savant-Sasquatch of a quarterback with an arm capable of passing exceeding the word passing. Ballistics might be a better term, particularly when he begins lobbing balls down the test range a piece.'

And if the size of Mallett's contract gives Ralph angina, trading Mallett would probably get the Bills about a half-dozen future draft picks. (But if Buddy Nix says Mallett's the guy - the legitimate QB of the future, the 'Second Coming' of Jim Kelly - Ralph will open his checkbook.)

I think the possibility of a Trade is interesting already and we have no clue who is going to be there and where the Bills will Pick...And who knows? Maybe Mallett (or if it's Luck) decides he wants nothing to do with Buffalo (see Eli Manning and John Elway...This stuff does happen). Maybe a Trade is forced...No question a Franchise QB Prospect can bring a bounty in return...And the Bills need as many Picks as they can get...It's an intriguing thought already...

Still...Passing on a guy with an arm like Mallett has when you play in WNY is going to be awfully hard...And God forbid you pass on him and he becomes the next big thing while the Bills continue to Draft the way they have over the past few years...That's a recipe for another 10 years of losing Football right there... B-)

Actually with the crop of qb's we're looking at in the draft I suspect there will be 4 or 5 good quality qb candidates in the mix. I say wherever we end up let's go with the best one available unless a stud OT or linebacker is sitting there. I'm not a "best player available" guy but we have a number of critical positions of need. I'm still thinking qb as the most important right now, with OT and LB behind, but not too far behind. We'll certainly be in a position to really help ourselves.

You see, I should know better, but I am seduced by Mallett's arm. He could take a one trick pony like Evans and throw him 70 yard bombs at will. He could throw 25 yard checkdowns :o to Spiller, and fire fastballs to a tight end over the middle. He throws 50 yard post patterns flat footed with little air under them. This is all but impossible I remind you.

Your point about a trade down is well taken, but I just can't imagine not selecting this kid at this point. Maybe if there was another Orlando Pace out there, but there doesn't seem to be, ya know?

I dare say that nobody in the history of this board has advocated blocking more than I have, but I haven't seen college talent like this in decades.

* Note: My record is less than stellar wrt QBs.

Edited by Bill from NYC

You see, I should know better, but I am seduced by Mallett's arm. He could take a one trick pony like Evans and throw him 70 yard bombs at will. He could throw 25 yard checkdowns :o to Spiller, and fire fastballs to a tight end over the middle. He throws 50 yard post patterns flat footed with little air under them. This is all but impossible I remind you.

Your point about a trade down is well taken, but I just can't imagine not selecting this kid at this point. Maybe if there was another Orlando Pace out there, but there doesn't seem to be, ya know?

I dare say that nobody in the history of this board has advocated blocking more than I have, but I haven't seen college talent like this in decades.

* Note: My record is less than stellar wrt QBs.

Bill, I think Mallett could throw Evans 70 yards! B-)

Edited by The Senator

Peyton manning is possibly the best qb ever. Ur example is not even close to reasonable. Is this you russ brandon?

I think you're a bit confused on what point I was trying to make. I didn't say Manning wasn't an elite qb, I was arguing that he is elite and that in the NFL you can win with a great qb and a average o-line. With an average o-line the Colts continue to win 10+ games each year and it's because of Manning. Like I already said there are some intriguing qb prospects, so lets see how the year finishes out and go from there. If the Bills have a top pick and one of the top qb's is there they can't possibly pass on one. If not then they should take the best player at one of their many positions of need.

I still don't understand why everyone thinks Locker wouldn't have been a top ten pick last year? I followed the draft more closely last year than any year in the past and there were several of the "so called experts" predicting that Locker would go high. If he continues the way he's playing this year he could suffer a major slide in the draft. And for those that argue you shouldn't take a young qb and throw him to the wolves, look at how Matt Ryan played in his first year. The Falcons had a similar offense to us and they were able to significantly improve with him at qb (From 4-12 to 11-5 in his first year). And they got they got their future left tackle later in the first round (Sam Baker).

you are truly a lost id-ot and dont watch much collage football either. most NFL GM's have been waiting for this draft to get their QB.

if you dont think Luck or Mallett is a great future QB you clueless and thats not to mention Lockler who everyone in the world has going #1 but i personally like Luck and Mallet better,and dont think i dont know luck is a junior,but he will come out because he knows if he doesn't and with a rookie wage scale coming in the next CBA if he does not come out there goes his pay day.

mallet reminds me so much of kelly its not even funny,he already has over 41 passes of 40 yard or more in his career the kid is an absolute stud as is luck.

you truly have no idea what you are talking about,absolutly brain dead post.

Fitz, who we've seen, or Brohm, who we haven't, over Mallett, Luck or Locker? Based on what, exactly?

Edited by DrFishfinder

I get the distinct impression you haven't watched Mallet play too often.

he has not only not seen mallet but i guarantee he has not seen Luck either the guy is totally lost.

fitz or brohm are you freaking kidding me.

3 other teams cut fitz and wanted no part of him but they are all wrong and your right.

go hit the crack pipe again and fry some more brain cells so you can make more asinine comments like these.

Edited by oak tree 12

Wow Bill not advocating line first?? When the hell did hell freeze over?

LOL it's true! You seem to know that I am about blockers, and truthfully, if we took a future Orlando Pace I would not be unhappy.

Having said that, Mallett just has SO much talent, it is hard for me to imagine passing on him even if we pick first.

Bill, I think Mallett could throw Evans 70 yards! B-)

:D:lol::D:lol::D

Here is an interesting interview that relates to this conversation done by Brian Galliford and Mocking the Draft's Dan Kadar: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/10/2/1724169/rumblings-draft-scouting-kadar-interview-week-5-preview#storyjump

He talks about how Luck is the only blue-chip qb and there aren't any elite offensive tackles this year. He said there probably wont be an offensive tackle taken in the first 15 picks for the first time since 1982 (Unless someone emerges throughout the rest of the year).