Mort Chat

Coach Tuesday

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/34627/nfl-with-chris-mortensen

Jeff (Atlanta, GA)

Long suffering Buffalo Bills fan. Any light at the end of the tunnel Chris? We might be the...GASP...worst team in the NFL right now...even worse than the Raiders. What do they need to address?

Chris Mortensen (12:07 PM)

The owner and the people who whisper in his ear need to just back off and let his football people do their job. Ralph Wilson Jr is in the Hall of fame because of what he did in the 60s and I do believe his loyalty to Buffalo is admirable. But he fired Bill Polian and John Butler couldn't wait to get out of there. And there were a lot of good things Tom Donahoe was doing, and could have continued doing, if he had been left alone. I know those aren't popular words but the best hope now is give GM Buddy Nix and HC Chan Gailey the resources and leave them alone!

Gee, wonder who he's referring to there? More evidence that Overdorf and Littman are continuing to run this team into the ground. Everyone out there knows it except for a small band of misguided faithful here at TBD...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Mortensen (12:07 PM)

And there were a lot of good things Tom Donahoe was doing, and could have continued doing, if he had been left alone. I know those aren't popular words but the best hope now is give GM Buddy Nix and HC Chan Gailey the resources and leave them alone!

Gee, wonder who he's referring to there? More evidence that Overdorf and Littman are continuing to run this team into the ground. Everyone out there knows it except for a small band of misguided faithful here at TBD...

To me it just sounds like just another shot from afar by Mortensen, who never forgave Ralph from firing his buddy Donahoe.

Edited by Captain Caveman

To me it just sounds like just another shot from afar by Mortensen, who never forgave Ralph from firing his buddy Donahoe.

Yup, you're right, the Bills are a first-class organization that is not being run by a meddling owner and his accountants. It's all just part of the vast media conspiracy to make the Bills look bad so that they'll move to a better place to cover sports, like Los Angeles.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Yup, you're right, the Bills are a first-class organization that is not being run by a meddling owner and his accountants. It's all just part of the vast media conspiracy to make the Bills look bad so that they'll move to a better place to cover sports, like Los Angeles.

I think it's obvious.

Mort would sound more believable if he'd quit bringing up TD. TD started out ok, but then became paranoid, that began his downfall. Everyone keeps pointing the finger at Ralph for al lthe problems. Maybe it really isn't him making the bad decisions, but has been Littman and Overdolf. Granted RW has hired them, but would be interesting to know if that is where the problem really is.

Ralph just needed to give TD another 5 years. Darn those "Ralph Whisperers!" <_<

And why bring up Butler? The man died 2 years after leaving, put the Bills in cap hell, had a horrible last draft with the Bills, was the one who traded for RJ, and liked Leaf over Manning.

And there were a lot of good things Tom Donahoe was doing, and could have continued doing, if he had been left alone.

Yeah, right. Donahoe threw away draft picks to create the semblance of a paper contender, and although his tenure represents the best the Bills have been over the past 10 years, the franchise was far from heading in the right direction.

As painful as it makes me to say this, but the players drafted on Day 1 & FAs brought in during TD's regime have contributed much more to the team and are better players than after he had left.

His biggest mistakes were a wild chase after the franchise QB and the coaching misfires. But overall, yes Bills as a team were in better shape....

You're putting words in my mouth and I don't appreciate it. I am not a media basher. I don't have a problem with Tim Graham, or JW, or Peter King. Mort has raised the point several times of how the Bills would have been better off if they had left Donahoe in place. The man was a Fascist, and on top of that, did not put very good football teams on the field. It's time for Mort to let go of the fact that we fired his buddy TD. That's all.

Edited by Captain Caveman

Dysfunctional is dysfunctional folks. You can debate all day who's fault it was, but where does that get you? Until this organization has a good infrastructure and commits to win, it will be redundantly "Ground Hog Day".

Who knows what we have now.

Mort would sound more believable if he'd quit bringing up TD. TD started out ok, but then became paranoid, that began his downfall. Everyone keeps pointing the finger at Ralph for al lthe problems. Maybe it really isn't him making the bad decisions, but has been Littman and Overdolf. Granted RW has hired them, but would be interesting to know if that is where the problem really is.

Go look at the list of players that Donahoe let walk who are playing at a high level around the league.

Donahoe's biggest fault was that he always wanted to be the story and make a "splash".

Go look at the list of players that Donahoe let walk who are playing at a high level around the league.

Donahoe's biggest fault was that he always wanted to be the story and make a "splash".

It still pains me that Pat Williams (and not to mention Winfield) is still such an effective player in this league even though Donahoe felt so strongly that he was "on the wrong side of 30" and refused to sign him.

Yeah, that's exactly what he said. :thumbdown:

As painful as it makes me to say this, but the players drafted on Day 1 & FAs brought in during TD's regime have contributed much more to the team and are better players than after he had left.

His biggest mistakes were a wild chase after the franchise QB and the coaching misfires. But overall, yes Bills as a team were in better shape....

Fair enough...

I think the problem with Mort, and the reason he gets such major backlash here, has been his inability to admit TD's obvious mistakes...Mort comes off as an overprotective mother hen...Instead of saying that TD made some major mistakes, but at least he made some good decisions too...Mort seems to just get too worked up about the whole deal...It's quite obvious that TD has REALLY bad mouthed RW to Mort...I mean...It sounds to me like TD has presented RW as the devil incarnate to Mort...And who knows...Maybe Ralph is that bad...But overselling TD has not helped Mort's credibility whatsoever...He may very well be right about a lot of things concerning the Bills and RW...But he needs to put aside his friendship for TD and stop making excuses...TD was better than what came after him no question...But he was far from perfect either...FAR from perfect... B-)

Donahoe did a few good things:

2001 draft: Aaron Schobel, Nate Clements

2003 draft: Terrence McGee

2005 UDFA: Jason peters

And plenty of bad:

2002 draft: Mike Williams

2004 draft: Willis McGahee (big gamble)

2005 draft: JP Losman

Take a minute and look at the Bills drafts under Donahoe. They were abysmal. We complain about the lack of good draft picks? Well that started with Ol' Whitey. 80% of the players he picked were out of the league in 2 seasons. So Mort has some bizarre standards if he thinks his white-haired boyfriend was doing a good job.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot