Mort Chat

Coach Tuesday

I'm in the very small minority that actually thinks we might have been better off with Donahoe than without him. I know this sounds crazy, but he is the last executive to field a winning team. Hell, even a .500 team.

I think there's a chance we could be better with Donahoe than where we've been lately without him. But he did a lot of very bad things too. In Ralph's eyes and mine as well, the good that he was bringing did not outweigh the bad that he was conjuring up. It'll be interesting years from now to compare him with what we now have in Nix/Whaley.

As many have pointed out, he did such a bad job here that he's not gotten a new job anywhere else. He did have a pretty good reputation, but it's definitely taken more than one hit by his reign of terror here. IMO he's not the only one at fault. There was definitely a style clash between him and Ralph, and he did a pretty amazing job of antagonizing fans from the GMs chair. This is pretty hard to do.

Yes he had a season with a winning record, but just barely at 9-7 which can be accidental as much as anything. Remember that season we ended by getting creamed by Pittsburg's 2nd and 3rd stringers to prevent us from being a playoff team, which we CLEARLY did not deserve.

I do think that he as a GM was slightly better than what's happened since. But I think that's more damning with faint praise. Marv was a great coach and a good motivator, but he's not a good front office guy. He's got good company as many, many good coaches haven't done well as a front office guy.

We have no hind-sight for the Nix/Whaley (& Chan) era, but I like a lot of what I see so far. Football people are again in charge and hopefully they can work well with the owner and other management folks. Everyone in the boat has to row the same direction if we're to get anywhere.

Edited by Mark Long Beach

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/34627/nfl-with-chris-mortensen

Jeff (Atlanta, GA)

Long suffering Buffalo Bills fan. Any light at the end of the tunnel Chris? We might be the...GASP...worst team in the NFL right now...even worse than the Raiders. What do they need to address?

Chris Mortensen (12:07 PM)

The owner and the people who whisper in his ear need to just back off and let his football people do their job. Ralph Wilson Jr is in the Hall of fame because of what he did in the 60s and I do believe his loyalty to Buffalo is admirable. But he fired Bill Polian and John Butler couldn't wait to get out of there. And there were a lot of good things Tom Donahoe was doing, and could have continued doing, if he had been left alone. I know those aren't popular words but the best hope now is give GM Buddy Nix and HC Chan Gailey the resources and leave them alone!

Gee, wonder who he's referring to there? More evidence that Overdorf and Littman are continuing to run this team into the ground. Everyone out there knows it except for a small band of misguided faithful here at TBD...

Tom who?

As many have pointed out, he did such a bad job here that he's not gotten a new job anywhere else.

He hasn't gotten any GM offers but wasn't he working as a front office consultant in Atlanta? Possibly still?