The Trent situation was not handled well

jahnyc

I understand that TE was benched for this play, but cutting him in this manner will have ramifications. The way this was handled reflects poorly on the front office, and these type of things do impact the perceptions that players have of a team (in this case the Bills). Yes, the media and the experts are already negative about the Bills, including our front office, but there are many reasons that college players and free agents will not be attracted to the Bills, and creating new reasons is not helpful. Overall, the impression is that this team and organization are a mess. Maybe cutting TE was the right move, but it sure makes the team look bad on a number of levels and feeds the impression that our front office and coaching staff are clueless.

I have no problems disagreeing with the so called experts, but they seem to be right about the Bills a lot lately. After 10 years of futility, it is becoming increasingly difficult to disagree with the negative perceptions of this team and I am becoming concerned with the ability of the current front office to make good decisions and build a winning team.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that TE was benched for this play, but cutting him in this manner will have ramifications. The way this was handled reflects poorly on the front office, and these type of things do impact the perceptions that players have of a team (in this case the Bills). Yes, the media and the experts are already negative about the Bills, including our front office, but there are many reasons that college players and free agents will not be attracted to the Bills, and creating new reasons is not helpful. Overall, the impression is that this team and organization are a mess. Maybe cutting TE was the right move, but it sure makes the team look bad on a number of levels and feeds the impression that our front office and coaching staff are clueless.

I have no problems disagreeing with the so called experts, but they seem to be right about the Bills a lot lately. After 10 years of futility, it is becoming increasingly difficult to disagree with the negative perceptions of this team and I am becoming concerned with the ability of the current front office to make good decisions and build a winning team.

Players get cut in the NFL all the time. The new Bills regime gave him a shot, it was clear as day TE wasnt going to produce and he was not part of their future, and the organization quickly cut bait with him. No muss, no screwing around. He had no future in Buffalo....so he was quickly cut, as is the team's right.

Im not sure what your beef is. if anything, IMO it shows decisiveness and quick moving on the part of the front office.

Edited by RkFast

I don't buy it. The Cardinals released Leinhart, the Pats cut Milloy a few days before the season started, players get cut for money or because of injury, it's a crazy cut throat league.

Edited by todzilla

Players get cut in the NFL all the time. The new Bills regime gave him a shot, it was clear as day TE wasnt going to produce and he was not part of their future, and the organization quickly cut bait with him. No muss, no screwing around. He had no future in Buffalo....so he was quickly cut, as is the team's right.

Im not sure what your beef is. if anything, IMO it shows decisiveness and quick moving on the part of the front office.

Cutting TE was the right thing to do. He was useless and was occupying a roster spot. This shows the team and the rest of the league that we mean business and the DJ days of wasting time are over. Great move!

I don't buy it. The Cardinals released Leinhart, the Pats cut Milloy a few days before the season started, players get cut for money or because of injury, it's a crazy cut throat league.

Of course. Except when the Bills do it. Then it is a lack of class.

What a crock. This is a totally BS argument.

How is this decisive or quick moving? After last season, I never thought that the Bills would go into this season with Trent as the starter. I was shocked that the Bills did not bring in a QB for more competition, either with a high round pick or a veteran free agent pick up.

Moving quickly and decisively would have been realizing after last season that TE was not the answer and moving on at that time. Instead, TE gets most of the first team reps in the offseason and the preseason and starts the first two games. How does this make any sense?

How is this decisive or quick moving? After last season, I never thought that the Bills would go into this season with Trent as the starter. I was shocked that the Bills did not bring in a QB for more competition, either with a high round pick or a veteran free agent pick up.

Moving quickly and decisively would have been realizing after last season that TE was not the answer and moving on at that time. Instead, TE gets most of the first team reps in the offseason and the preseason and starts the first two games. How does this make any sense?

I assume you saw the same pre-season games we all did. Trent looked pretty decent. Should we have cut Trent then because we knew he would suck once the season began?

PTR

Whether you think Trent Edwards was a good QB with potential or you think that he was horrible, the whole affair makes the Bills look like jokers.

It is going to be interesting to find out what the back story is. I have a feeling I know what it is, but let's wait to find out what comes out of OBD in the coming weeks.

The sober reality is that we are definitely in search (yet again) of the QB of the future. It is a shame the Bills traded to get JP when Rodgers would have dropped into our laps the next year. The only problem is that I am sure we would have destroyed him just as we have done with with pretty much every other QB . . . .

The danger with drafting a QB high in the first round (as we are now likely to do) is that there is absolutely no room for error. If we swing and miss, it could hurt the franchise even more. I really hope that whatever we do, we put together an NFL caliber offensive line. We are not doing anyone any favors with the group that we have now. It will be especially important with any young QB that the Bills bring in.

Just my two cents.

For what it is worth, my insider tells me there are some very angry Bills players today... Trent was well liked, and respected by many of his teammates... Gailey might be losing some of these guys... I suspect there are going to be many, many changes... that might be a good thing.

the guy was never going to play a down for Buffalo again....they obviously called every single team in the NFL in search of a trade partner and received ZERO interest....why have a guy take a spot on the roster that is/was DONE in Buffalo?

Good Move and 1 less distraction over time....

For what it is worth, my insider tells me there are some very angry Bills players today... Trent was well liked, and respected by many of his teammates... Gailey might be losing some of these guys... I suspect there are going to be many, many changes... that might be a good thing.

The Patriots players were mad about Lawyer Milloy's release too.

Of course. Except when the Bills do it. Then it is a lack of class.

What a crock. This is a totally BS argument.

When you have no credibility, yes, you will be questioned when you've cut your starting QB as of 8 days ago. Yes that's extremely strange, especially when your backup QB has 1 NFL start and there's no other QB on the roster or PS. Yes, you'll be spoken poorly with the track record they have. With this sort of logic, Cornell Green should have been sent packing after Week 1.

Yes, when the Bills do things like this they'll be questioned. You tend to get that when it's been forever since their last playoff appearance and the the owner has made decisions about starters before. That always works.

Bills players angry? Really? They get angry? That would be a first.

You mean like Lee Evans? I bet he helped Trent empty his locker and called him a cab. :lol:

PTR

Horrors! Gailey might be losing some of the guys who have contributed to ten years of no playoffs! What will we do?

That is the sense that I have. There is only one guy who I know of who tried to undermine him (other than TO last year). I have a feeling that the things that Fred Jackson, CJ (and even Thurman) are saying are representative of most of the team.

In any event, it is what it is. Let's hope we can move forward and somehow return to the glory years -- which are now a very distant memory.