Say what you want about this new leadership

Unless you're trapped by a boulder at the bottom of a canyon with no other way of getting out or receiving help. Then it's a great idea to avoid dying.

Exactly Trent Edwards was done so no need to keep him around. If anything his play regressed I applaud nix and galley for moving on. If nothing else it leaves a door open for Brohm.

Unless you're trapped by a boulder at the bottom of a canyon with no other way of getting out or receiving help. Then it's a great idea to avoid dying.

Exactly Trent Edwards was done so no need to keep him around. If anything his play regressed I applaud nix and galley for moving on. If nothing else it leaves a door open for Brohm.

What I respect is winning football games. Show me you know how to actually do that Buddy and Chan and I'll have some respect for you. Right now I'm seeing two guys who took a mediocre football team and made it into the worst team in football.

I agree. Buddy Nix has been a complete joke so far. We are not better at any position on this team since he took over. And our defense is downright putrid right now.

I think that part of releasing Trent now was to send a clear message to the rest of the team to perform or your out. I would think twice about putting in a mediocre performance after this happened.

gotta like that statement

screw up enough and we will pay you to sit at home away from the embarrasment of this inept organization

if you do have any talent, you can get picked up and paid by another (a real)  NFL team

What a horrible article by Tim G. I don't always agree with him, but he is usually fair. Not this time.

For a guy who's close to things at OBD, Tim probably has a good reason to write in this way. I don't understand what's unfair about his criticism here. The Bills had a hard time attracting or even interviewing candidates for their open GM and HC jobs this past off-season. Nix' and Gailey's predecessors weren't in demand and just maybe there's a reason.

I think people know what's happening at OBD and aren't talking, particularly those executives around the NFL. The Bills simply do things that 30 other teams (not including Oakland) do not do.

What I respect is winning football games. Show me you know how to actually do that Buddy and Chan and I'll have some respect for you. Right now I'm seeing two guys who took a mediocre football team and made it into the worst team in football.

Because we let Richie Incardona walk away, right?

LOL! Idiot! :wallbash:

Guest dog14787

What a horrible article by Tim G. I don't always agree with him, but he is usually fair. Not this time.

Why, for reporting the obvious

Edited by dog14787

The Bills had a hard time attracting or even interviewing candidates for their open GM and HC jobs this past off-season. Nix' and Gailey's predecessors weren't in demand and just maybe there's a reason.

This is only relevant if you assume their decisions MUST be bad if they made them. He provides no intelligent reason for why the Bills should have kept Edwards on the team.

The Bills simply do things that 30 other teams (not including Oakland) do not do.

Well, the Bills didn't take Edwards with the #1 overall pick. So they aren't that stupid. Oakland should have let Russel go way before they did. They were STUPID for keeping him until the offseason, IMO.

This is only relevant if you assume their decisions MUST be bad if they made them. He provides no intelligent reason for why the Bills should have kept Edwards on the team.

Well, the Bills didn't take Edwards with the #1 overall pick. So they aren't that stupid. Oakland should have let Russel go way before they did. They were STUPID for keeping him until the offseason, IMO.

I made this point in another thread: how did Gailey get so easily fooled by Trent's success when the practices/games didn't matter? For being a veteran offensive coach, I expect him to know talent and not get sucked in.

Few people give the Bills the benefit of the doubt anymore. They've run the table on being mediocre, do not attract talented people for HC and GM no matter what anyone says, and now they're bottoming out.

But the rationale that because Edwards wasn't a #1 overall doesn't remove the fact that they misfired on picking the best QB on the roster to start. They've changed their starting RB, adjusted the WR depth chart, and are 0-3. Who's making decisions on this team?

What a horrible article by Tim G.  I don't always agree with him, but he is usually fair.  Not this time.

ah- the blind homer speaks

not well - but whatever

probably should be reprimanded for doubting the capabilities of TG

You say Tim's article was terrible, yet your statement makes it clear that you somehow missed his point. Completely.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I made this point in another thread: how did Gailey get so easily fooled by Trent's success when the practices/games didn't matter? For being a veteran offensive coach, I expect him to know talent and not get sucked in.

Few people give the Bills the benefit of the doubt anymore. They've run the table on being mediocre, do not attract talented people for HC and GM no matter what anyone says, and now they're bottoming out.

But the rationale that because Edwards wasn't a #1 overall doesn't remove the fact that they misfired on picking the best QB on the roster to start. They've changed their starting RB, adjusted the WR depth chart, and are 0-3. Who's making decisions on this team?

Trent has fooled more than on HC, let's keep that in mind. But I think Chan actually did a fairly responsible job of evaluating the QBs this offseason, even though I wasn't thrilled with his choice of starter. It was clear the offense has been a clusterf#%k for a few years now. Had he only used the past performances to make his evaluation, he'd have done the team a great disservice. In addition, he'd have scrap most of the offensive players as almost nobody looked good in the mess that had been run under Jauron.

I think many observers feel Trent hasn't been able to show his talent in Buffalo, due to a very poor offensive line, terrible offensive scheme and really offensive play calling. (See what I did there?) So he gave him the opportunity to show otherwise in camp and the preseason. You know what? Trent looked pretty fair, didn't he? Yes, it was preseason but he looked more polished and experienced than the other two QB candidates. I guarantee you, had Chan let Trent go before the start of the season, many of the same people criticizing him now would have been trashing him then.

So Chan let Trent have his chance to shine. Clearly he didn't. He SUCKED as bad as a Bills QB has sucked in quite a long time. He was a pitiful disgrace to the uniform. Rumor has it, the players went to the coach and asked for him to be removed as starter. I notice Tim didn't bother to discuss that aspect of the move. Anyway, despite making him the starter, Chan had the balls to sit him and start Fitz instead. There were some who criticized him for not continuing to start Trent. Do you understand how freaking stupid that is?

So, with Trent hiding on the sidelines, Fitz stepped in and performed fairly well. What happened to the impossibly bad offensive line? Clearly the problem wasn't simply the line. TRENT added to the problem of the poor line by looking like a deer in the headlights. Once the game was over, and it was clear Trent was the biggest issue here, why would you want to continue to keep him on the roster? He's toast in Buffalo. The players don't seem to trust him, so why have him around? Chan is here to turn things around. This is how you do it!

Now, I understand why someone would question why Chan couldn't make this decision before the season. Ideally he would have. But the insinuation that, after failing to make the ideal decision, it is somehow bad or wrong to correct that decision ASAP is preposterous. And with just a tad of thought and just a moment of giving someone the benefit of the doubt, one might have figured out that Chan gave Trent this last shot as a way to do the right thing by him. Then Trent betrayed the team by playing scared. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

The Bills cut both Dockery and Walker last year to save money. They've cut other players before that. Cutting players to save salary isn't a new thing.

As far as TG not providing an argument for keeping Edwards. You must be joking. That's what saying Edwards was a class act and a professional through and through was all about. The guy was a team captain and the starting QB just 7 days ago. He has experience. What if Fitzpatrick gets hurt? Frankly, he's a better option than Brohm, I suspect, if there is an injury. Mike McCarthy, who is one of the best QB evaluators in the game, decided Brohm wasn't worth a roster spot on his team last year.

It's not like the Bills are going to go to the Super Bowl with this move. This isn't a move to make the team demonstrably better. This reeks of a bush league move by the guys that watch the Bills cash flow like hawks. Teams don't build their rosters in late September. You dance with who brought you. Starting Fitzpatrick led to just another loss this week. This doesn't build any confidence in the guys running the team -- it strongly undermines it. Do they have any idea what they are doing? Not to mention that this team already has real problems in attracting 1st class help on any level of the organization. Why would anyone want to play for a team run like this?

Maybe it's time to pull the homer head out.

Edited by Kultarr

The Bills cut both Dockery and Walker last year to save money. They've cut other players before that. Cutting players to save salary isn't a new thing.

As far as TG not providing an argument for keeping Edwards. You must be joking. That's what saying Edwards was a class act and a professional through and through was all about. The guy was a team captain and the starting QB just 7 days ago. He has experience. What if Fitzpatrick gets hurt? Frankly, he's a better option than Brohm, I suspect, if there is an injury. Mike McCarthy, who is one of the best QB evaluators in the game, decided Brohm wasn't worth a roster spot on his team last year.

It's not like the Bills are going to go to the Super Bowl with this move. This isn't a move to make the team demonstrably better. This reeks of a bush league move by the guys that watch the Bills cash flow like hawks. Teams don't build their rosters in late September. You dance with who brought you. Starting Fitzpatrick led to just another loss this week. This doesn't build any confidence in the guys running the team -- it strongly undermines it. Do they have any idea what they are doing? Not to mention that this team already has real problems in attracting 1st class help on any level of the organization. Why would anyone want to play for a team run like this?

BS. Trent is DONE as a Bill. They could continue to pay him, but he was done taking snaps at QB. Better than Brohm? This year Trent wasn't better than any QB. He quit on the team and the team knew it. I think Chan let him stay for a week to see if the line and team really were the issue. Guess what? It was Trent.

Why keep a guy you will NEVER use. I think they'd be better off bringing in Levi Brown if they needed a QB in an emergency. He might not do any better than Trent, but at least he would show some effort...something Trent refused to do.

Yes, spending the entire offseason evaluating QB talent and then just arriving at the obvious conclusion that Trent is no good after two weeks and cutting him from the team is a hallmark of a good front office.

At last, something I agree with you on... :thumbsup:

Excellent post.

How about this, very straightforward, take:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article202680.ece

Excepts:

It was an endorsement of Ryan Fitzpatrick, coming one day after his encouraging 38-30 performance in the loss at New England.

It was an indictment of Edwards, who saw his once-promising NFL career go on life support.

It was a boost for Brian Brohm, who moves up from No. 3 to No. 2 quarterback for the first time in his three-year NFL career.

It showed that Bills General Manager Buddy Nix and coach Chan Gailey are not ones to dither over personnel decisions. When they decide, they act.

"In my experience of being around that, it's never easy for a guy to be in and out, in and out, in and out," Gailey said. "That's never been an easy situation. So I'm probably answering your question in that yes, it could have happened [that Edwards' leadership had been undercut]. Whether it did or not I don't know.

"We just felt like instead of relegating him to scout-team quarterback and third team -- because we want to work with Brian Brohm -- it was smarter to let him move on and try to get another job."

Why did Gailey choose Edwards entering training camp? There's no doubt the Bills thought there was more upside to Edwards, given the promising start to his Buffalo career and his physical tools.

Strip away all the BS and this is the simple, straightforward explanation. Not really that difficult to comprehend, if you have any intention of trying.

How about this, very straightforward, take:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article202680.ece

Excepts:

Strip away all the BS and this is the simple, straightforward explanation. Not really that difficult to comprehend, if you have any intention of trying.

Well, you got your work cut out for you again in defending the Bills front office, Brian.

The Bills are just ahead of the curve on this one. I'm sure all teams will start cutting players outright in mid-season when they lose their starting jobs. Since talent is so easy to come by and development of cohesive teams is effortless, it only makes perfect sense.

Can I cite Jerry Sullivan's most recent column to support my argument then? It's pretty straightforward and to the point as well from an award winning journalist.

Can I cite Jerry Sullivan's most recent column to support my argument then? It's pretty straightforward and to the point as well from an award winning journalist no athletic talent having, guy who used to get beat up every day in high-school by the football team, cynical jackass.

There that's better...

Can I cite Jerry Sullivan's most recent column to support my argument then? It's pretty straightforward and to the point as well from an award winning journalist.

My point is we have only been talking about Sullivan and TG's takes. That there must be something wrong here. Well, something other than Trent stunk so they canned his ass.

As for Sully, he is a notorious hater who doesn't understand football, he means nothing.

I think the article I posted lays out the reasons and the situations without all the drama. This just may be exactly what it is. A misjudgment on Trent and a quick correction. Why would you keep your bitter deposed starter as your 3rd string QB? Makes no sense to me. It just complicates the make over.

Its bush league to cut a player who likely can't even play in the UFL right now? Whatever Graham...dude was horrible, what is the point for holding onto a player that you never want to see in an NFL game again? I would rather see Levi Brown in there taking his lumps, at least he isn't a B word...Edwards was a B word, plain and simple...no guts, no balls, no need to ever see the field again...

Decisive? More like clueless. Edwards won the starting job in camp, started two games, got benched and then cut. That's ridiculous. A total joke. They didn't see how awful he was in the regular season last year? They tape over games over something? Just another waste of time. They could have released him after last season and drafted a QB higher than the 7th round. So, when Fitzpatrick gets hurt, we are down to Brohm and TBA. Nice.

Gialey likely thought since he made Fiedler and Stewart into good QBs(Stewart into a pro-bowler), he could likely do the same with Edwards, and probably thought he had the physical skills those players didn't, so that if he was able to do it, he could have a really good QB.

It took all of two games to realize he had a B word as his QB...a player with no guts, no balls, and no football intellect. A player that runs out of bounds on 4th and 11 after gaining 2 yards so he doesn't "risk" an interception. A player who gets the ball back with 29 seconds left in the 4th Quarter needing a TD at his own 20 yard line and proceeds to throw 2 yard dump passes and then on 4th and 18 or whatever it was, throws an 8 yard pass to a WR running a button hook standing still. NFL QBs just don't play like that. They just don't. Show me another QB who has played like that in the last 10 years. At least Losman threw the ball downfield. It would be like a dog catcher afraid to catch a dog.

WHO WERE THEY GOING TO DRAFT? Clausen? Yeah, he looked really good last week. McCoy?? Dude almost got cut by Cleveland coming out of training camp. There was no other QB in this years draft other than Bradford who went #1 overall. This years QB crop is much, much stronger than last years. They should have a good shot at one of them...

Please stop making things up, and acting like any of the QBs other than Bradford was worth anything.

That's where your logic is off. Mediocre might as well be worst. Either way a team isn't winning enough. Sometimes you have to weed out the junk and you take a step back to begin moving

forward. The new regime is doing okay for now. Won't happen overnight so save yourself the angst.

In business a key concept is to make sure you have the right people on the bus and the wrong people off the bus before you start trying to move forward. Edwards definitely needed to be off the bus.

Only problem with this is the move probably came from the top (RW) in my opinion.

My take dog is.... that now they realize that fitz is always gonna be fitz and throw as many stupid INT's asTD's The team is preparing to give Brohm an honest shot at QB before to long to see if they need to draft the franchise QB next year

Gailey or grampy Ralph could have called this shot as it would be kind stupid to keep Edwards at 3rd string and pay him 1.6 mil..

I can't hardly wait for the Jets game, then the Ravens and Steelers to see how that O line protects Fitz or Brohm...

Trent had two games....stuck up the joint....they benched him

We all know what we have in Fitz.....he comes out throws for 250 yards with the same group....we make a game of it against the pats....they cut Trent

This new leadership does not care about opinions or what people think....they dont do things based on perceptions outside of the organization. They know Trent is not the guy...they made a move cuz there was not reason to even keep him.....and nobody was going to take him off our hands and give us anything.....

Now we have an open roster spot...I wonder what they will do?

I agree John.

I don't like that they did not figure it out early on, but my guess is that Trent is just one of those guys who looks really good in practice, scrimmage, and preseason, but folds like a lawn chair when the games are for real. His indecision and fear of putting the ball up even when there was only enough time for one more passing play just boggled the mind.

For the longest time this team seemed to be ok with players that don't perform. There are too many guys on this squad just cashing checks. Perhaps this sends a message that they need to start earning their pay or get cut. There is enough dead wood on this team, and there was no use in keeping/using a roster spot on a guy who clearly has lost it as a QB for this team. Move on, free up a spot, and bring up someone else who has not had the chances Trent has had.

You idiot he is a veteran who's salary was guaranteed for the whole season after the first game. How stupid can you actually be.

No, kids. Anyone who reads PFT regularly (not "skims" but "reads") can tell you its like this:

A vested veteran (i dont know if trent is one) who is on the active roster for the first game, has an option, ONE TIME IN HIS CAREER, to take the balance of that year's salary as termination pay if he is cut. This is even if he signs with another team that year.

So it is not "guaranteed" in the traditional sense.

This move has Ralph's name written all over it. He definitely didn't want to pay Trent for the remainder of the season.

Garbage! He was worthless to the team while sitting on a bench for 'another' year.

I'm sick of all the 'Ralph is cheap' comments anytime 'anything' happens with the team.

Edited by BillsFanInLV