Kelsay Deserves the Extension

NaPolian8693

Chris Kelsay is well deserving of a big contract extension.

He is obviously well respected among players and coaches, as he is a multiple time team captain selection.

He has never been an off the field issue, he doesn't complain, and provides solid veteran leadership.

Even if you don't think he is an elite player, the fact is the Bills have to play someone at outside linebacker. Look at the other outside linebackers on the team - Ellis, Torbor, and Maybin? It's not realistic to cut the entire group in one offseason.

You have to pay somebody to pay outside linebacker for the Buffalo Bills, so it might as well be a good, hard working guy like Chris Kelsay.

He has never been an off the field issue,

The only "off the field" issue he has is that he needs to be "off the field", indefinitely.

Even if you don't think he is an elite player, the fact is the Bills have to play someone at outside linebacker. Look at the other outside linebackers on the team - Ellis, Torbor, and Maybin? It's not realistic to cut the entire group in one offseason.

You have to pay somebody to pay outside linebacker for the Buffalo Bills, so it might as well be a good, hard working guy like Chris Kelsay.

Then how about the janitor at the Ralph? He'll come cheaper and at least he has the speed to chase down a "sweep".

Edited by Punch

He is obviously well respected among players and coaches, as he is a multiple time team captain selection.

He has never been an off the field issue, he doesn't complain, and provides solid veteran leadership.

sure keep him on the team but big extension?..... are we watching the same guy? he gets burned on almost everything his way,always out of position and cant tackle anything lately

Edited by JPCinSYR..NY

It's funny, because I am a big believer in character.

It's the reason why I think Michael Vick is an idiot, as are Tank, "Pac Man", etc.

But the last time I checked, a player gets a contract for his production on the field as an actual football player.

Sure, staying out of the news and being a good team guy are important roles; but I noticed how none of your points covered his lack of mobility in coverage, his stiff hips, his lack of a pass rush or ability to get to the passer, his poor tackling.

While I agree that staying out of trouble and being a stand-up guy are important, they sadly are not the reason why a player should get a contract extension. On field performance is.

Dude Kelsay was a below average 4-3 defensive end, and has thus far proven to be horrible at 3-4 OLB. He is HORRIBLE in pass coverage, and can't shed blockers to play the run. If he gets a lucrative contract extension...it will be a travesty. Yes....we have to play someone at outside backer....and that person may be Kelsay for this season. I would be bitterly disapointed, however, to see him on this team come next season. Garbage.

Sure. Let's start paying guys $24 million for being good guys. You don't give a below average player that's on the downslope of his career a pay raise and extension just because you're too incompetent to draft anyone decent enough to replace the player. That's compounding the problem.

Dude Kelsay was a below average 4-3 defensive end, and has thus far proven to be horrible at 3-4 OLB. He is HORRIBLE in pass coverage, and can't shed blockers to play the run. If he gets a lucrative contract extension...it will be a travesty. Yes....we have to play someone at outside backer....and that person may be Kelsay for this season. I would be bitterly disapointed, however, to see him on this team come next season. Garbage.

If not for the memorable pick 6 against Romo on Monday Night in 2007 I am at a total loss to recall a single positive play attributable to Kelsay. That's not to say he hasn't done "the little things" well over the years, but he's certainly never been a difference maker. And I don't think he's done the little things well, either, for the record.

Is there a "puke" emoticon here?

EDIT - Like a big chunk puke kind.

Edited by thebug

Kelsay is a below average player in the defensive scheme Chan Gailey is implementing now and for the future. Giving him a contract extension would be counter-productive. As to the logic that someone has to play linebacker in the coming years, how about draft that position and have that person start or pick someone up in free agency that is better and more expensive or better and at a lower cost. It wouldn't be that difficult to replace him in either situation. There is no rush or need to extend Kelsay.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

That is such a loser mentality.

Keep him as a back-up for $2 million per year? Yeah, okay, I could see it.

A $24 million extension to play a position he obvious cannot play? RIDICULOUS

Bull crap! The guy sucks, you don't play below average to average players 24 million over the next few years. another stupid assed move by an inept front office to keep us floundering.

Wow, not one person on this board will support this guy?

There are a lot of places on this team that need help before you need to start worrying about Chris Kelsay.

If they would get someone better linebackers to play alongside him, it would allow him to fully realize his potential on the field.

There are a lot of places on this team that need help before you need to start worrying about Chris Kelsay.

If they would get someone better linebackers to play alongside him, it would allow him to fully realize his potential on the field.

i dunno but if you watched the Bills this season its pretty apparent the LBs need to be overhauled. They are awful in coverage.

Uh....yeah......I do think they should cut ALL OF THEM.

Did you watch the game? The Pats had 200+ rushing, mostly to Kelsay's side. He's brutal. Kelsay, Maybin, Whitner, Stroud, and Ellison need to be off this team next year, and that's for starters.

Uh....yeah......I do think they should cut ALL OF THEM.

Keeping 1 or 2 of either Torbor, Ayodele, Mitchell or Andra Davis would be okay so long as they are backups. Posluzsny is the only true starter but he has more than a few deficiencies, namely pass coverage and staying healthy. The rest of the group* can join John DiGiorgio, Brandon Spoon, and "Old" Eddie Robinson on the Island of Mediocre Misfit Linebackers.

*Arthur Moats has talent but he has no idea how to tackle in the open field or cover.

Maybe instead of keeping good character guys like Kelsay we should extend jokers like Marshawn Lynch, and then just go ahead and bring in Mike Vick.

None of what you suggest has any bearing on whether or not Kelsay is a good linebacker. He has character and plays hard, but we need a few less "Rudys" on this team and a few more capable football players. They don't need to be criminals to be better than Kelsay.

Maybe instead of keeping good character guys like Kelsay we should extend jokers like Marshawn Lynch, and then just go ahead and bring in Mike Vick.

Yeah I like the idea of keeping players who can make plays as opposed to paying people who can't.

Kelsay also volunteers at my kid's school - you'd think people would want that more than someone who crushes dog skulls.

Mostly I just want to win football games. NFL players aren't my friends. I'm not inviting them over to dinner, or exchanging christmas cards. Nor are they coming on vacations with me and my family. So I'd rather just see the best 53 Football players on the field. It's great that Kelsay is a humanitarian. He's not a good football player.

Kelsay also volunteers at my kid's school - you'd think people would want that more than someone who crushes dog skulls.

we're putting together a football team, nto a church choir...

Most of these guys ain't saints. Vick's human garbage, but its a false dichotomy to say that our choices are an overpaid, ineffective DE or Satan himself

This has been a paid political announcement by The Comittee to Re-elect Chris Kelsay.

So if the Bills cut all of their outside linebackers, who are the five or so free agents that you propose bringing in to replace them?

It's impossible to turn over an entire roster in one season, you just simply have to keep some bodies around.

Would you rather see them extend Maybin?

:blink: No effing way does he deserve an extension. Not unless he takes a third of the pay he's getting now. Wait, no. A fourth the pay.

So if the Bills cut all of their outside linebackers, who are the five or so free agents that you propose bringing in to replace them?

It's impossible to turn over an entire roster in one season, you just simply have to keep some bodies around.

Would you rather see them extend Maybin?

I don't think anyone is realistically advocating they cut ties with the entire linebacking corps; but the issue at hand is giving Kelsay--- an average at best DE who does not really seem to fit as a 3-4 OLB--- a $24 million extension after getting paid $6 million/year for being... average. The guy has made a lot of money over the past 8 years for being average, and the timing of this extension is a little curious seeing that fans are not really stoked about the LBs and less than disinterested in retaining Chris Kelsay.

You are clueless... it is your thinking that has gotten the Bills into their current mess... it is one thing to sign a guy to contract who turns out to be below par at pretty much every facet of his game, but it is another to willingly extend his contract, and overpay for lack of talent and production. You say, "somebody has to play linebacker", and I agree. But, if it doesn't matter if they suck or not (according to you) why not pay someone a lot less money, to suck? Given the way the penny pinching ways of this franchise, they really need to think twice about the way they spend their money. Giving Kelsay more money is an absolutely awful way to spend money...I would think you were joking, but, maybe not? Do you think the Bills should pay Trent Edwards more money to stay around for another three or four years? I mean, they have to have someone to play third string QB, right?