Edwards Benched

5 Wide

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. What a mess. Bailed on Trent after two games. I'd say he is done in Buffalo. Makes you wonder why they did not draft a QB in the first few rounds, trade for one or sign one as a free agent. Now they panic after two weeks. Most inept BS organization ever. They continually make huge mistakes and when they finally realize it, it's way too late to do anything about it. Really, Fitzpatrick isn't much better and is not the answer. They are still a one or two win team at best.

They should go one step further and just cut Edwards. He is of no use to the team in any capacity that involves playing QB...wether it be 1st, 2nd or 3rd string.

I agree. Players don't play for the guy and there's no way he should ever see the field again. I'm not sure what it would do to the locker room, though I'd be surprised if it were a negative and that's truly the only reason to even think about keeping him around.

Wow. What a mess. Bailed on Trent after two games. I'd say he is done in Buffalo. Makes you wonder why they did not draft a QB in the first few rounds, trade for one or sign one as a free agent. Now they panic after two weeks. Most inept BS organization ever. They continually make huge mistakes and when they finally realize it, it's way too late to do anything about it. Really, Fitzpatrick isn't much better and is not the answer. They are still a one or two win team at best.

Yea, and wait till Fitz takes the field and says...

WTH is TO?

WTH is blocking at RT?

WTH am I doing out here?

Let Brohm play, at least finally find out if this guy has a chance to become an NFL QB...we will never know if he keeps riding the bench

Now they panic after two weeks.

I wouldn't call it panic - quite the opposite. Gailey is known as a guy who can coach up QBs. They decided to see if they could salvage Trent. By most accounts he looked at least decent in camp, so they went with the largest upside. He proved that he can't get it done on Sundays and they quickly cut their losses.

To be honest, I think this is too soon. I am not a Trent supporter, however I think that a lot of last week was more the OLine and WR than him. I don't think Trent is the answer, but I would have given him until week 4 and remove all doubt going forward.

Sorry, just one bad game, two games into the season under the new regime seems like a coach feeling pressure move.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I thought Edwards played well enough last game to not get benched at this point. Those two INTs were both on the WRs - I wonder if Steve Johnson is getting the start this week.

I had hoped to see more out of Edwards this year and after that first game I concluded that he just doesn't look like a top 15 QB in that he doesn't really add anything to the equation. He's good enough to get it done when he doesn't have to carry the team, but without a defense and a big stud WR/TE, he's never going to do anything spectacular.

I would've been OK with giving him until the bye to sort things out, but if he isn't the QB that they want to move forward with, I get dumping him this early and just trying to win games as opposed to trying to develop him or another QB. I'm starting to think they didn't want a QB this year because they wanted to sort out the other positions on the team and not have to worry about getting a top draft pick killed. I think this scenario is almost exactly what would have worked to Edwards advantage had he come into the league in that sort of situation, not that it makes a difference now.

By the way, is it just me or is Edwards starting to look like Losman out there? First the hair and the sideburns and then it seemed like whenever they showed his face in the first half he had that deer-in-the-headlights-JP Losman-look. I feel like we've watched two people (not just football players) be completely defeated - battered, bruised, and discouraged - over the course of 5 or so years to the point where they look like they don't even want to be football players so much anymore. Playing QB for the Bills this decade must be demoralizing.

Stupid move.

Not benching Edwards. Starting Fitz. I'm tellin' ya...Fred Jackson is our best option at QB. All Wildcat, All The Time. Except on third down and long, when you put in Moorman, just to make opponents wonder if maybe we've finally admitted we can't convert a long third and punt to save ourselves the embarrassment.

I wouldn't call it panic - quite the opposite. Gailey is known as a guy who can coach up QBs. They decided to see if they could salvage Trent. By most accounts he looked at least decent in camp, so they went with the largest upside. He proved that he can't get it done on Sundays and they quickly cut their losses.

Well said.

All part of the Bills master plan to sell tickets I tell you.

Only game sold out so far is Steelers. Put Fitz in now, generate interest and sell out the Jets game.

We lose the next 2 games, they announce Brohm is starting and sell out the Jags game.

We beat the jags (not impossible, they are one of the few beatable teams) and Brohm-mania sweeps WNY and they sell out the remaining games.

I know I know, way too early in the day to be drinking so heavily ;)

Fitz's skill set allows him to function a little better behind this weak line. We'll have a few more big plays but more WTFs too.

A lot more. The over & under for Brohm to start is the sixth game.

Face it folks the QB of the future is not on this roster. Wilson is probably having nightmares already about the 70-90 or more millions of dollars he will have to shell out for a QB with the first over all pick. His payback for being cheap at the GM position and not hiring more scouts. Bad draft picks year after year have put this team back where it was for two and half decades before Bill Polian was hired. Buddy Nix knows talent but it will take years to undo the damage that began after the late John Butler's last draft, then became worse under Tom Donahoe and then took a steep decline with the drafts called by Marv Levy, Russ Brandon, Dicky baby and Wilson. Pathetic just pathetic how Wilson and his cheapness have once again turned this team into the 1971 Bills.

WHAT we really should do is just bench all the starters, even the good ones for just one game. Have them sit on that bench and make them watch the worst 60 minutes of football they have ever seen, the way the fans see it. It doesn't matter if they watch the film to see how bad they are, they should watch the whole thing from the bench just to understand what the fans go through every week.

Not sure how this is something to be excited about. Not much upside with Fitz, though I suppose he has a better chance of getting the WRs involved.

Reasons why this happened (IMO):

-Fitz sees the field way better than Edwards. Fitz is Thigpen-esque and I think Gailey recognizes that.

-Fitz makes quicker reads

-Fitz takes shots down the field

-Fitz is way more mobile (in fact, I think this might have been the biggest reason he is getting the call)

If Gailey had 6 months to see all this, why did he still make Edwards the starter. It is very baffling and Gailey is losing his credibility in that locker room. If Gailey had actually put the stamp at the beginning of the season that he has two QBs to decide then it makes sense to make the switch. However, having come out of training camp and calling Edwards as the clear winner makes Gailey look like a fool.

I wish Gailey would have gone back to finding a way to get his Running game going.

Well hey. Good. But it might have been better to wait as late as possible to announce it. Patriots would have prepared for Trent. Maybe.

You're making a rather big assumption that's the Pats* are even preparing/game planning for the Bills offensive attack..

If Gailey had 6 months to see all this, why did he still make Edwards the starter. It is very baffling and Gailey is losing his credibility in that locker room. If Gailey had actually put the stamp at the beginning of the season that he has two QBs to decide then it makes sense to make the switch. However, having come out of training camp and calling Edwards as the clear winner makes Gailey look like a fool.

I wish Gailey would have gone back to finding a way to get his Running game going.

I agree with this. Edwards looks exactly the same as last year. Gailey gets paid a lot of money and is supposed to be an offensive guru, yet 90% of the Bills fanbase knew Edwards didn't have what it takes on Sundays. At least he admitted his mistake, but we basically wasted the whole off-season.

Edited by BuffaloRebound

Stupid move.

Not benching Edwards. Starting Fitz. I'm tellin' ya...Fred Jackson is our best option at QB. All Wildcat, All The Time. Except on third down and long, when you put in Moorman, just to make opponents wonder if maybe we've finally admitted we can't convert a long third and punt to save ourselves the embarrassment.

I agree with ya, put all 3 backs in all the time