NFL draws line on Pinto Ken's bowling ball shots

Meathead

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP)—No longer feeling welcome in the Buffalo Bills’ main parking lot, a tailgating institution is on the move as the NFL draws a line between what’s considered family friendly and R-rated entertainment.

After 21 years of tailgating in the same lot outside Ralph Wilson Stadium, Ken Johnson plans to take his party across the street starting with the next home game in two weeks.

And with him, Johnson’s bringing along his wildly colorful and popular traditions: from the red 1980 Pinto on which he grills meat on the hood to the pizza oven made out of a filing cabinet to a chicken wing-cooking mailbox and, yes, even the long-established ceremony of drinking shots of Polish cherry liqueur out of the thumbhole of a bowling ball.

“It disappoints me that I have to move away from a lot where I’ve been for about 20 years, but I saw it coming a long time ago,” said Johnson, who’s tailgate has attracted international recognition as he’s been featured in newspapers, on The Food Network and even profiled in a German magazine. “I have known for a long time that they want to sanitize Lot 1 and turn it into a family lot.”

“In my case, I do push the limits, so I can’t scream too loudly,” Johnson said. “But you wonder how many people go to games because of characters like me. I think I add to the experience.”

If that experience includes bowling ball shots, then Johnson’s not welcome. When it comes to protecting its fan base in a tough economy, the NFL is taking a hard line on what it considers unacceptable behavior, said Jeffrey Miller, NFL director of strategic security programs.

“Irregardless of the fact that he may have been doing this over the course of a number of years, it doesn’t make it right,” Miller said. “People taking shots out of a bowling ball actually has the effect of repelling families.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-tailgatingconcerns

irregardless of the fact that irregardless is not a word, my mom and dad did bowling ball shots together with me. just because we are all drunks doesnt mean we are any less of a family

So the NFLs plan is to bannish the best fans who dont miss games.....

I know. That kills me. When I was in high school and went to the games at Rich Stadium in the late 70s, there was more craziness and drunkeness then there is now. Underneath the scoreboard at halftime there were huge clouds of pot smoke everywhere. There were brawls in the stands everywhere. It seems to me the games are much more tame now than even 20-30 years ago.

yea, cavemen used to club each other over the head too...but this could be the first step in limiting alcohol in Orchard Park.

It could get worse (tailgating isn't even allowed in Toronto).

irregardless of the fact that irregardless is not a word, my mom and dad did bowling ball shots together with me. just because we are all drunks doesnt mean we are any less of a family

The NFL should employ people who aren't so stupid. "Irregardless" :wallbash:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Irregardless of the fact that irregardless has been a word since the 1920's...People should be careful of who they call "stupid!"

:oops::wallbash::oops:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Irregardless of the fact that irregardless has been a word since the 1920's...People should be careful of who they call "stupid!"

:oops::wallbash::oops:

Perhaps you miss the extended conversation on this topic earlier in the thread.

Even though "irregardless" may be listed as a word in some dictionaries, those very entries make it clear it is a word that should be avoided. This is from the link you provided:

Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

And this dictionary is being kind. An NFL spokesperson should know better than to use a word that makes one seem stupid.

"Where's Kenny?"

"Who?"

repeat 100 times

I hope they have a lot of ketchup

And don't mind people putting food on the hood of their car.

could you just imagine the look on some guy's face as you dumped mashed potatoes and all the other stuff from Thanksgiving on the hood of his brand new BMW? :lol:

:w00t:

How sad that the league chose Ken as the example to single out. They just don't get it.

Ken, keep doing what you do. You are a big part of the game day experience for a lot of people.

:w00t:

How sad that the league chose Ken as the example to single out. They just don't get it.

Ken, keep doing what you do. You are a big part of the game day experience for a lot of people.

Per Friday's 3-6pm wgr show. A caller said that the Bills Army was turned away from Lot 5 last Sunday. Anyone park in lot 5?

And don't mind people putting food on the hood of their car.

So from a earlier post it was mention that you are moving the TBD party form Lot 1. So where is the new location?

So from a earlier post it was mention that you are moving the TBD party form Lot 1. So where is the new location?

It's not really "my" tailgate, more Badol and Lori, so I'm waiting for info from them if they will move, and if they do, where.

Just got off the phone with him....no slotting expected this season and he and his crew are staying in Lot 1

Just curious why this is so important that it couldn't be put in the thread that was already dedicated to this topic?

Not only was this on the same front page as yours...it was only 9 threads down the page! :wallbash:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/119547-nfl-draws-line-on-pinto-kens-bowling-ball-shots/

just spoke with Ken and filed a piece. change of heart came after Bills official contacted him on Friday. more to come once i get writing more. jw http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/39246316/ns/sports-nfl/
So he caved into their pressure on the shots? What did they offer him in return? Free tickets? Free aprking. Bad decision IMO. Bending over and taking it from the NFL and the Bills wasn't the answer. Edited by Joe In Macungie

Just curious why this is so important that it couldn't be put in the thread that was already dedicated to this topic?

Not only was this on the same front page as yours...it was only 9 threads down the page! :wallbash:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/119547-nfl-draws-line-on-pinto-kens-bowling-ball-shots/

Just curious as to why you feel the need to police peoples message board activities...frucking message board police...jeeeeez!

So he caved into their pressure on the shots? What did they offer him in return? Free tickets? Free aprking. Bad decision IMO. Bending over and taking it from the NFL and the Bills wasn't the answer.

I'm sure the main reason was because Kenny didn't want to leave. He enjoyed lot 1 and the pinto can continue on without the bowling ball shot. Plus they told him that they would not be doing the slotting parking yet. That will most likely wait til next year.

And the Bills have always taken care of Kenny on roadtrips. I'm sure they will toss him a bone somehow.

Edited by Mike32282

pardon the ignorance but what exactly is meant by the slotting parking?

Everyone is directed to a parking spot when entering the lot, rather than being able to park where you want to. As mentioned in another thread, this screws up Tailgates, when you're looking for your usual group knowing they are always at a certain spot.

So he caved into their pressure on the shots? What did they offer him in return? Free tickets? Free aprking. Bad decision IMO. Bending over and taking it from the NFL and the Bills wasn't the answer.

Perhaps they caved after getting so many complaints. I sent the Bills and the NFL a scathing email for bullying their best fans.