Chicago Tips Wanted

Lt. Dan's Revenge

Lt. Dan is headed to Chicago for the first time this weekend with some friends, and am looking for some last minute tips and information about where the best places to drink, eat, and have some fun are throughout the city. We are all in our low-20's if that helps. Will be there all weekend with only one Dave Matthews Band concert at Wrigley on the agenda, so we will have a lot of free time on our hands to explore the city (and it's women :flirt: ). Any help from people with some Windy City knowledge would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Lt. Dan's Revenge

Goose Island for an several IPA's

Lt. Dan is headed to Chicago for the first time this weekend with some friends, and am looking for some last minute tips and information about where the best places to drink, eat, and have some fun are throughout the city. We are all in our low-20's if that helps. Will be there all weekend with only one Dave Matthews Band concert at Wrigley on the agenda, so we will have a lot of free time on our hands to explore the city (and it's women :flirt: ). Any help from people with some Windy City knowledge would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

Edited by The Poojer

Living in Central Illinois I've only been to Chicago a handful of times. Pizza is one of the famous food offerings there so I'd suggest a couple of places that are top-notch: Giordano's or Gino's East. The Lakeview location is the closest Gino's East to Wrigley Field; 1040 W. Belmont is the nearest Giordano's. Give yourself some time if you decide to eat at one of these establishments, as it takes around an hour to bake the pizza.

I have no clue on nightlife except a few friends would always talk about going to the http://www.chicagotraveler.com/neighborhoods/gold-coast-directory.htm. Take it for what it's worth.

Hope you have fun and report back on where you went/what you did.

I got married and "lived" there for a month while we were wrapping up the details but it was a long time ago so I can't help you. But I have a nice story. My wife was back for her 30th reunion a few year ago. She was cruising around the city with an old boyfriend (I didn't go) and they drove by Wrigley Field and saw a bunch of sod and dirt piled around some dumpsters. They figured that they had just re-sodded the field and they scooped a bunch up and she brought it back to a friend who is a HUGE Cubs fans. It was the best thing she ever could have brought him. He cherishes that.

So I guess you could run out on to Wrigley field with a shovel and up part of center field. If that doesn't cross your minds at least once while you're there you're not drinking enough. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Wrigley Field

Kingston Mines

Chicago Style Dog

Rush Street for late night action

Any of Bayless' restaurants

Old Town

Halsted and Clark street for nightlife

Wrigley Field for Cubs

Wrigleyville for cocktails

Alinea's or Charlie Trotter's for fine dining

Museum of Science and Industry

Soldier Field

Museum Park

area around Depaul for nightlife

Wrigley Field

Kingston Mines

Chicago Style Dog

Rush Street for late night action

Any of Bayless' restaurants

Old Town

Halsted and Clark street for nightlife

Wrigley Field for Cubs

Wrigleyville for cocktails

Alinea's or Charlie Trotter's for fine dining

Museum of Science and Industry

Soldier Field

Museum Park

area around Depaul for nightlife

They're in their early 20's I don't think Charlie Trotters is on their radar.

Go here:

Delilah's

It is a punk bar in the Lincoln Park neighborhood and also a Bill's backer.

Is this age appropriate for somebody in their 20's?

;)

Also: Halsted and Adams is Greek Town... Good eats if you like Greek.

Take in Nuevo Maxwell Street on Sunday morning if you like authentic Mexican stuff (and other) and eats. It is in the South Loop on Roosevelt and Des Plaines.

Nuevo Maxwell Street

0700 to 1500 on Sunday. Admission is free, walk around and take in the vendors... Like a big flea market on the closed off streets.

Go here:

Delilah's

It is a punk bar in the Lincoln Park neighborhood and also a Bill's backer.

Is this age appropriate for somebody in their 20's?

Not sure. Isn't punk something that was cool for 10 minutes in the 80s?

Unfortunately this won't help you any. But if we were back in the 70's I'd tell you to go to the Gaslight Lounge (no longer on Huron St.) to see Joe Kelly. Joe was a great entertainer and had a smoking band. The Gaslight was known for a great time. Joe also played the trumpet at the post call at Arlington park, and then for 15 straight years at the Preakness.

Joe is now a drinking buddy of mine here in St. Augustine.