Locker room privacy ??

papazoid

an open locker room is how we are able to do our jobs and provide as much insight to the public as we possibly can. it's the given-and-take at a players' locker -- after practice or after a game -- where the best stuff is said, and the best observations made. this is also a place where reporters are allowed to interact with players, joke with them, chat them up about other topics, see if they're limping, angry, sad or happy. this is where a lot of the personal relationships are built.

i can see how some might think a separate media area will work. it won't.

players have numerous areas they can hang out in that are out of bounds to reporters. however, NFL players are required under league rules to make themselves accessible to the media on Wednesdays and after games. and that requirement on Wednesday is half-an-hour or so. that's where the separate media area doesn't work. a player is most comfortable at his locker. it would be inconvenient for them to have to hang around a separate room for that period of time.

my 2 cents.

jw

The best stuff? It's usually all standard cliches they give, win or lose. There's no need to have reporters there when players are changing.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best stuff? It's usually all standard cliches they give, win or lose. There's no need to have reporters there when players are changing.

Yeah really, thats a tired old chiche in and of itself that the best interviews happen at the locker. Maybe way back in the day of the 1950's Yankees or something, but seems to me the overwhelming majority of quotable stuff today comes from interviews at the podium, live TV or radio.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Oh, brother. I don't even need to answer that, but I'll just say that there is a huge difference, and I mean HUGE, between rape and some cat calls in a locker room (of which the reporter herself did not even hear).

I don't disagree with that. Okay, are you now saying verbal harassment is okay if the person is inappropriately dressed?

seems to me the overwhelming majority of quotable stuff today comes from interviews at the podium, live TV or radio.

I suspect what JW is talking about is the non-quotable stuff, the on-background stuff that helps the reporter place things in proper context. None of that stuff is available at the podium or on live TV/radio (unless you're talking to Clinton Portis, that is).

I suspect what JW is talking about is the non-quotable stuff, the on-background stuff that helps the reporter place things in proper context. None of that stuff is available at the podium or on live TV/radio (unless you're talking to Clinton Portis, that is).

I call BS on that too. In a crowded locker room with everyone there, players arent going to be calling people out.

Oh, brother. I don't even need to answer that, but I'll just say that there is a huge difference, and I mean HUGE, between rape and some cat calls in a locker room (of which the reporter herself did not even hear).

+1

And BRH, you're a fool for making the comparison.

And as far as the Clinton Portis bit. God forbid a man say that a woman surrounded by 53 naked athletes is likely to be attracted to at least one of them. Is speaking the undeniable God's honest truth really a scandal? They should have saved this one for a slow news weeek.

And as a man with a daughter, I think the femenized she-men that want to coddle and make excuses for the Andrea Kremers and ??? Sainzs of the world do women a grave injustice. If my daughter's chosen career puts her in a room of 53 naked athletes on a regular basis, I say she either needs to learn how to play the game, find a new career path or fight for a new forum for access. A lot of strong women (not the insecure pathetic women with a chip on their shoulder that have to inform everyone of what a "strong woman" they are) can handle a room of guys like that with no problem at all. That's part of the gig. If you're not quick witted and able to effectively work that kind of room, you don't belong in it.

The world doesn't stop and start at your convenience, even if you're a female sports reporter.

I don't disagree with that. Okay, are you now saying verbal harassment is okay if the person is inappropriately dressed?

It's never okay, but this mock indignation and shock about it is pathetic. That reporter puts her sexuality right out there for everyone to see, for the sole purpose of getting attention (if all she wanted was answers to questions about sports, then why not just wear a burka)? She then cannot get upset when she actually receives that attention (in a locker room of all places).

thanks once again Mr. Happy for having a true insight into how we, as reporters, do our jobs. the next time you have an issue in your line of profession, please feel free to contact me so that i can offer up my extensive knowledge on that front in a quid pro quo.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

Two days ago nobody knew the name Ines Sainz. This skank is getting exactly what she wanted. Good for her.

They were talking about this on TV this morning. The reporter herself did not raise this issue, has not, and will not file any charges. It was some association of women sports writers causing the stink. They had some uptight B word spokesperson for the organization mouthing off on that show.

As an athlete you are taught how to handle the situation in general and female reporters in particular once you reach the college level. But these guys are not that bright and are raised in this "locker room mentality" so this kind of behavior, although wrong, is bound to happen.

I do have to say though that I think reporters in the locker room are unnecessary. If a reporter absolutely needs a cliche sound-byte catch the player walking out to his/her car or wherever. I understand why it is allowed, it saves the reporter time not having to wait for the interview. And it saves the players the hassle of maybe having to hang out in a media room after a game (probably not a big deal for football for example with 1 game a week, but could be a big hassle for hockey players for example who are often catching a flight to another city immediately after a game).

Edited by CodeMonkey

I personally think its very weird that reporters are in there talking to guys with their penises literally hanging out. I suppose professional athletes are more or less required to display their genitals due to the nature of their jobs, but that doesn't make it any less strange to me.

It seems like there should be some way for reporters to get the access that they want, while the players don't need to parade around in front of dozens of people (women included) with their balls swinging around.

That's just me though. Can't say we should be surprised that there would be issues that arise out of this type of environment.

It's never okay, but this mock indignation and shock about it is pathetic. That reporter puts her sexuality right out there for everyone to see, for the sole purpose of getting attention (if all she wanted was answers to questions about sports, then why not just wear a burka)? She then cannot get upset when she actually receives that attention (in a locker room of all places).

in fear of libeling cavemen, i will not make any comparisons, though neanderthal does seem to come to mind. ... a burka. oh my god. so what you're suggesting is that good-looking reporters should disfigure themselves? ummm, but please, continue digging this deep hole of ignorance.

jw

I personally think its very weird that reporters are in there talking to guys with their penises literally hanging out. I suppose professional athletes are more or less required to display their genitals due to the nature of their jobs, but that doesn't make it any less strange to me.

The athletes are told beforehand when the reporters are coming in (at least that's how it was back in the day) and they are supposed to be "decent" when they come in. But some simply don't care and will walk back to their lockers sans towel if they feel like it.

having reporters, particularly female ones, in the locker room is very weird at first. But like anything else you get used to it.

Clinton Portis "she's gonna want somebody" :

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/09/clinton-portis-on-women-reporters-in-locker-room-shes-gonna-want-somebody/1

NFL Scolds Portis:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/09/nfl-clinton-portis-comments-about-women-reporters-were-inappropriate-and-offensive/1

i think the locker room should be CLOSED to ALL reporters...men and women.

there should be media access in a seperate area.

I have always thought something was wrong with women being allowed in a men's locker room while men are walking around naked, which in my opinion is taking "Women's Lib/Rights" too far. I am all for women being able to do just about anything that a man can do, if they can physically do it, it isn't right that the men have no privacy. I do not in anyway excuse what the Jets' players said or done and they are at fault as long as the female media member's are allowed in the locker room, but there are never any men in ladies locker rooms, especially when nudity is present-double standard? Now, I don't think men should be in ladies locker rooms, as I don't think women should be in men's locker rooms. There are plenty of opportunities for females to get interviews without talking to a guy with his junk hanging out. Like someone else said here, the majority of the female reporters are quite attractive, and this one in particular, is a model,and may I say is smoking hot, which only adds to the chances of something undesireable happening, after all these are human beings of the male species in the locker room. Picture yourself, about 22 years old, with a lady that looks like that, with a body like that, dressing like she does (she is a model and her main genre of reporting is not sports) and she looks down even by mistake and sees your manhood, the majority of young men are going to get a stiff proposition for her, if you know what I mean-now is that offending her? Just to put it out there, from what I have heard on the radio, this reporter isn't suing anyone, and she didn't even report it, she found out the next morning on TV about the whole incident. Just imagine if men reporters were allowed into the ladies lockerroom after say a WNBA or NCAA women's championship where there was nudity-every time the reporter glanced below the neckline a harassment charge would be brought against him.

Edited by billsfreak

here's an excerp:

Most reporters give athletes the common courtesy of at least getting boxers on before an interview, but not always.

During one preseason game in 2007, I watched six reporters (mostly female) rush Tony Romo before he had even begun toweling off. He made them (rightfully) wait until he had pants on.

What was the urgent topic every single one of those reporters wanted to ask about?

His relationship with Carrie Underwood of course!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/461069-ines-sainz-not-a-victim-but-new-york-jets-players-not-innocent-either

You knew I'd have something to say about this, right? But it might not be what you're expecting...

Obvious lack of professionalism on both sides here.

First, as JW notes: at certain times, NFL locker rooms are designated as open to the media. That's a league rule. So is their equal-access policy, established in the early 1980s -- in other words, well before the Lisa Olson incident which made me a Patriots-hater for life.

Next, for those of you asking about women's high-level sports, the answer is yes: the WNBA has the same rules as the NBA, and the women's basketball Final Four and World Cup soccer also have locker-room availability for both male and female reporters. Obviously, those standards change in most amateur sports. (Read: younger athletes.) Many colleges set up separate interview rooms -- believe that's what St. Bonaventure's basketball team does, though JW can correct me if I'm wrong -- and I think we all agree that NONE of us belong in any high school locker room.

I see the Killion column has already been linked. She makes some valid points, but don't be fooled into thinking Sainz has the unconditional support of female sportswriters everywhere. As a friend e-mailed me with some disdain, "Every time something like this happens to someone like her, it makes the job harder for the rest of us."

Here's an insightful take from Jemele Hill: The Jets, Ines Sainz and sharing blame

I agree with most of her conclusions. As I told her, my only quibble regarded her disappointment with the Association for Women in Sports Media. (Disclosure: I'm a member. Not sure if Jemele is -- don't see her name in my copy of the directory -- and I can pretty much guarantee that Sainz is not.) As much as I dislike Sainz's pose-and-flirt brand of "journalism," the fact remains that the Jets did give her a press pass -- "the most important thing she wore," tweeted ESPNNewYork's Jane McManus, who has covered the Jets for several years -- which more or less forced AWSM's hand. Much like the ACLU on free-speech issues, we can only defend it for all if "all" includes people whose speech makes us feel like punching them in the nose.

The official AWSM response by president Amy Moritz: Equal access supported by law

In light of the ongoing media coverage of the New York Jets’ alleged harassment of a female reporter in their locker room, the Association for Women in Sports Media would like to emphasize that equal access to the locker room is supported by law, and several court cases support this dating back to 1977.

Decades ago, professional sports leagues decided that the majority of media interviews, central to reporters’ jobs, were to be conducted in the locker room. These policies make the locker room a functioning workplace. Once a media member is credentialed by a sports organization, the organization is bound to give that reporter, regardless of gender, the same access to the locker room afforded to other media members.

Legal precedent was set at the 1977 World Series when then-Major League Baseball Commissioner Bowie Kuhn denied Sports Illustrated reporter Melissa Ludtke locker-room access. Her employer, Time Inc., filed a lawsuit and a U.S. federal judge ruled that male and female reporters should have equal access to the locker room.

As for the NFL specifically, in 1979 the Fort Myers-News Press threatened a lawsuit against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to gain locker-room access for Buccaneers beat writer Michele Himmelberg. The Buccaneers eventually opened the locker room to all media. Two years later, the Sacramento Bee prevailed in a lawsuit against the San Francisco 49ers, who then opened their locker room to Himmelberg and all female reporters. By 1985, the NFL and other professional sports leagues had established league-wide policies ensuring equal access for all reporters.

AWSM also would like to emphasize that equal access to the locker room for male reporters covering women’s teams is the norm. The WNBA, for instance, has an equal-access locker room policy as does the NCAA women’s basketball tournament.

AWSM continues to monitor issues regarding locker-room access and is committed to helping create and maintain a work environment that is free of harassment and hostility.

One more thought: Clinton Portis is an idiot. Would he also like to extend that "inspecting packages" theory to male reporters, and ask everyone who enters the locker room with a notepad/recorder whether they're straight or gay?

From Dan Wetzel, one of the best columnists going right now: Portis voices misguided ugliness in NFL culture

Portis has since issued a statement of apology, but the damage is done and the insight into his thinking is clear. It’s like any other public figure who unleashes a blatant stereotypical attack only to find remorse when the fallout hits.

Portis is a clown. This was ignorant. This was pathetic. This was insulting, both to the many professional women covering the league and Portis’ peers, most of who are far more enlightened and compassionate than him.

Those are the guys, the silent majority of the locker room, that need to stand up, say enough is enough and prove they can offer leadership on something more than third-and-one.

<snip>

It’s time the classier players and coaches of the league stop allowing themselves to be dragged into the mud by the morons.

Clinton Portis, too much a meathead to comprehend anything, thinks all those reporters just want to check out his package and then decide if he’s worth getting with.

He clearly knows nothing about women. Here’s hoping one of his teammates starts teaching him about how to be a man.

in fear of libeling cavemen, i will not make any comparisons, though neanderthal does seem to come to mind. ... a burka. oh my god. so what you're suggesting is that good-looking reporters should disfigure themselves? ummm, but please, continue digging this deep hole of ignorance.

jw

What a surprise. A reporter took one comment out of many and blew it out of proportion, and proving my point as well. I used the burka because it was the absolute other extreme. How reporters carry themselves does make a difference, and to think that she doesn't know that the way she carries herself will elicit these responses is a little naive.

The athletes are told beforehand when the reporters are coming in (at least that's how it was back in the day) and they are supposed to be "decent" when they come in. But some simply don't care and will walk back to their lockers sans towel if they feel like it.

And some will walk back to their lockers sans towel for other reasons. In fact, if you read "Bronx Zoo" or any of several other tell-all sports books from the '70s, Sparky Lyle and the others are pretty explicit in describing how some athletes deliberately harassed female reporters when locker rooms were first "opened" to reporters of both genders.

You should stop now. I'm not sure you could make yourself look any more ignorant but you should not take the chance.

I have always thought something was wrong with women being allowed in a men's locker room while men are walking around naked, which in my opinion is taking "Women's Lib/Rights" too far. I am all for women being able to do just about anything that a man can do, if they can physically do it, it isn't right that the men have no privacy. I do not in anyway excuse what the Jets' players said or done and they are at fault as long as the female media member's are allowed in the locker room, but there are never any men in ladies locker rooms, especially when nudity is present-double standard? Now, I don't think men should be in ladies locker rooms, as I don't think women should be in men's locker rooms. There are plenty of opportunities for females to get interviews without talking to a guy with his junk hanging out. Like someone else said here, the majority of the female reporters are quite attractive, and this one in particular, is a model,and may I say is smoking hot, which only adds to the chances of something undesireable happening, after all these are human beings of the male species in the locker room. Picture yourself, about 22 years old, with a lady that looks like that, with a body like that, dressing like she does (she is a model and her main genre of reporting is not sports) and she looks down even by mistake and sees your manhood, the majority of young men are going to get a stiff proposition for her, if you know what I mean-now is that offending her? Just to put it out there, from what I have heard on the radio, this reporter isn't suing anyone, and she didn't even report it, she found out the next morning on TV about the whole incident. Just imagine if men reporters were allowed into the ladies lockerroom after say a WNBA or NCAA women's championship where there was nudity-every time the reporter glanced below the neckline a harassment charge would be brought against him.

just to clarify....

Men are, indeed, allowed in women's locker rooms. Driving into work on Monday I heard a nationally syndicated radio commentator lamenting the fact that he couldn't go in women's locker rooms. Apparently he's never attempted to cover women's sports -- sadly, not too surprising. But as this particular radio talker works for a network that covers both the WNBA and the women's NCAA basketball tournament -- and also employs several high profile women sports reporters -- you'd think he might have checked his facts.

The WNBA -- the playoffs are going on right now -- has the same rules as the NBA. Open locker rooms at designated times. In the NCAA tournament, the same rules govern both men and women's locker rooms -- they're both open at specific times. During the regular season, NCAA institutions can make their own rules about locker room availability, but during the tournament the NCAA has a uniform policy. When Stanford played UConn in last April's championship, if you wanted to see how devastated Jayne Appel was after her terrible shooting night, you needed to be in the locker room. I was there. So were my male colleagues.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ann_killion/09/14/reporters/index.html#ixzz0zbtFssHK

This story is irking the **** out of me. This reporter dresses like shes going to a NYC nightclub and then has the audacity to get offended by the attention she gets from the players? No woman "deserves" to be sexually abused. I do not ever buy the "she had it coming" line of reasoning. But there IS something to be said about the way Ms. Sainz is doing her job and her level of professionalism.

WHOA WHOA WHOA buddy. She has been ON RECORD saying she was not offended, did not complain, and had no problem with either situation. it was the REST OF THE MEDIA that was around that is trying to make a story out of this. much like the quran burning BS story from last week.

don't pin this on her, she is great about it. watch the video.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5568266&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

again see my post above and both videos in my link (theyll play consecutively). she was NOT the one that started this. the rest of the media did.

just read the rest of your posts in this thread. congrats son, youre a douchebag.

Edited by DrDankenstein

What a surprise. A reporter took one comment out of many and blew it out of proportion, and proving my point as well. I used the burka because it was the absolute other extreme. How reporters carry themselves does make a difference, and to think that she doesn't know that the way she carries herself will elicit these responses is a little naive.

what a surprise. a poster attempts to flex his internet muscles by being as bigoted and ignorant as possible and when that poster gets called out on it, says he was somehow taken out of context. touche for proving many of my points.

jw

One more thought: Clinton Portis is an idiot. Would he also like to extend that "inspecting packages" theory to male reporters, and ask everyone who enters the locker room with a notepad/recorder whether they're straight or gay?

Clinton Portis is clearly an idiot, but in this situation (and perhaps I haven't heard the entire quote) what did he say that was so offensive?

Lori....do you think that men and women athletes should have a restricted area where they can get dressed PRIOR to the arrival of the media ?....or provide more time to allow them to get dressed before the media arrives?

You knew I'd have something to say about this, right? But it might not be what you're expecting...

Obvious lack of professionalism on both sides here.

First, as JW notes: at certain times, NFL locker rooms are designated as open to the media. That's a league rule. So is their equal-access policy, established in the early 1980s -- in other words, well before the Lisa Olson incident which made me a Patriots-hater for life.

Next, for those of you asking about women's high-level sports, the answer is yes: the WNBA has the same rules as the NBA, and the women's basketball Final Four and World Cup soccer also have locker-room availability for both male and female reporters. Obviously, those standards change in most amateur sports. (Read: younger athletes.) Many colleges set up separate interview rooms -- believe that's what St. Bonaventure's basketball team does, though JW can correct me if I'm wrong -- and I think we all agree that NONE of us belong in any high school locker room.

I see the Killion column has already been linked. She makes some valid points, but don't be fooled into thinking Sainz has the unconditional support of female sportswriters everywhere. As a friend e-mailed me with some disdain, "Every time something like this happens to someone like her, it makes the job harder for the rest of us."

Here's an insightful take from Jemele Hill: The Jets, Ines Sainz and sharing blame

I agree with most of her conclusions. As I told her, my only quibble regarded her disappointment with the Association for Women in Sports Media. (Disclosure: I'm a member. Not sure if Jemele is -- don't see her name in my copy of the directory -- and I can pretty much guarantee that Sainz is not.) As much as I dislike Sainz's pose-and-flirt brand of "journalism," the fact remains that the Jets did give her a press pass -- "the most important thing she wore," tweeted ESPNNewYork's Jane McManus, who has covered the Jets for several years -- which more or less forced AWSM's hand. Much like the ACLU on free-speech issues, we can only defend it for all if "all" includes people whose speech makes us feel like punching them in the nose.

The official AWSM response by president Amy Moritz: Equal access supported by law

From Dan Wetzel, one of the best columnists going right now: Portis voices misguided ugliness in NFL culture

Clinton Portis is clearly an idiot, but in this situation (and perhaps I haven't heard the entire quote) what did he say that was so offensive?

because he didnt put 100% of the responsibility on the men in the situation. according to the pundits, she could have walked in with only a g-string and pasties, and the jets were expected not to notice.

What he said implied that women could not be professional in the locker room. That's how I took it, at least. It wasn't directly offensive, but the undertone was fairly obvious, IMO.

So....was it because he said "packages"?.

It sounded to me like he basically said, their doing a job and can't act on it, but a straight woman in a room with 53 naked athletes is going to be attracted to at least one of them. I'm still trying to find the source of the outrage.

just to clarify....

Men are, indeed, allowed in women's locker rooms. Driving into work on Monday I heard a nationally syndicated radio commentator lamenting the fact that he couldn't go in women's locker rooms. Apparently he's never attempted to cover women's sports -- sadly, not too surprising. But as this particular radio talker works for a network that covers both the WNBA and the women's NCAA basketball tournament -- and also employs several high profile women sports reporters -- you'd think he might have checked his facts.

The WNBA -- the playoffs are going on right now -- has the same rules as the NBA. Open locker rooms at designated times. In the NCAA tournament, the same rules govern both men and women's locker rooms -- they're both open at specific times. During the regular season, NCAA institutions can make their own rules about locker room availability, but during the tournament the NCAA has a uniform policy. When Stanford played UConn in last April's championship, if you wanted to see how devastated Jayne Appel was after her terrible shooting night, you needed to be in the locker room. I was there. So were my male colleagues.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ann_killion/09/14/reporters/index.html#ixzz0zbtFssHK

Were you in there while the ladies were changing clothes?

So....was it because he said "packages"?.

It sounded to me like he basically said, their doing a job and can't act on it, but a straight woman in a room with 53 naked athletes is going to be attracted to at least one of them. I'm still trying to find the source of the outrage.

i dont think anyone is "outraged" as much as they are sick and tired of the typical pompous attitude of players. dude is basically saying that the athletes are sooo awesome that any female walking into the locker room will HAVE to be attracted to them. that the females just wont be able to help themselves and will HAVE to stare at them. get over yourself buddy.

Portis thinks he knows how other people (in this case female reporters) think and whats in their head, when really he has no idea what he is talking about, speaking for the way other people might secretly feel. he just sounds like a dipshit.

Do you realize how ignorant you sound? If you looked for any articles or facts on this whole issue, you would find out that she isn't the one who complained, yet she found out the following morning on TV that it was even an issue. She said she wasn't offended and isn't suing or filing any complaints against anyone, it was the media around her (mostly male) that had a real issue with what was happening. Get your facts right before you spout out.

You should stop now. I'm not sure you could make yourself look any more ignorant but you should not take the chance.

Too late.

again see my post above and both videos in my link (theyll play consecutively). she was NOT the one that started this. the rest of the media did.

just read the rest of your posts in this thread. congrats son, youre a douchebag.

what a surprise. a poster attempts to flex his internet muscles by being as bigoted and ignorant as possible and when that poster gets called out on it, says he was somehow taken out of context. touche for proving many of my points.

jw

Doesn't anyone else care that this is the same "network" that sent a reporter into the locker room in a wedding dress to propose to Tom Brady and then jump in his arms? This was a publicity stunt and yes, she asked for it because that is what her producers wanted. I work in TV so I know that this is exactly the kind of thing they were hoping would happen.

I'll leave the name calling alone because it doesn't add anything to the conversation that I thought we were having.

Clinton Portis "she's gonna want somebody" :

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/09/clinton-portis-on-women-reporters-in-locker-room-shes-gonna-want-somebody/1

NFL Scolds Portis:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/09/nfl-clinton-portis-comments-about-women-reporters-were-inappropriate-and-offensive/1

i think the locker room should be CLOSED to ALL reporters...men and women.

there should be media access in a seperate area.

The locker room really is no place for reporters, or outsiders in general. Best idea, IMO, is to make it restricted access.

If you let reporters in the locker room, it should be for a very short period of time, and the athletes (men and women) should be required to wear something to cover their private areas while reporters are in the room.

Obviously, if reporters are allowed there shouldn't be discrimination based on sex.

I'm guessing there is more access to men's locker rooms (and not women's) is because men's sports tend to be far more popular and access is "more important" from a media audience perspective.

Clinton Portis should be muzzled. Whenever this guy talks he says something to demonstrate how incredibly stupid he is.

If women are allowed in a men's locker room, or vice versa, there is still NO EXCUSE for sexual comment or innuendo from either the reporters of the athletes.