Shawn Nelson Suspension

bills in va

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the none of your business stuff but cmon. We heard all about the Williams' case of starcaps, Cushing for roids, Lynch for being a thug. I've liked Shawn Nelson as a player and was hoping for a big year. If he got popped for roids and has to get off the crap he may never be any good. If he accidently inhaled second hand smoke because he got too close to Marshwans car I get it. It would just be nice to know what kind of person is on our team. Is he a good guy who likes his weed, a roider, a crack head, or just a guy trying to get an edge by taking everything off the GNC shelf? In the end I hope he gets back and is productive this year. Like to see him fly down the seam and score the winning TD against the Pats.

I didn't know if you had any more info on what it was exactly, but it DOES matter to me at least.

Most likely for the same reason no other NFL team (or any employer, for that matter) does...health care privacy laws.

And the fact it's none of our damn business...

:thumbsup:

If it wasn't for illegal substances and Nelson stated that right away then it's time for us to move on.

When the suspension is over he will have the opportunity to prove himself or he will be sitting back watching Stupar help this exciting offense move the ball downfield while kicking himself for ever going to his local GNC store.

It does make you wonder what GNC is peddling as healthy.

He said at the time that he wasn't suspended for anything illegal. And since he's not allowed to practice with the team during his suspension, it means he took a performance-enhancer. For violations of illegal drugs and the PCP, a player can practice with the team during his suspension. And a first offense will get you automatic get a 4-game suspension; i.e. there is no "warning" for a first offense and a suspension comes with a 2nd offense.

As for the validity of GNC supplements being the culprit, they have to be. Otherwise GNC would sue for defamation. Which begs the question "why do athletes keep going there?"

I asked Chris Brown of Inside the Bills about Shawn Nelsons suspension. He told me it was most likely due to a GNC supplement that had a banned substance. He said alot of rookies make similar mistakes, no big deal. I had to disagree with him and said that if it were that simple, why not say so instead of leaving the fans to wonder if he's a drug addict or just stupid for not reading labels. If alot of rookies make those mistakes then why not more suspensions? He then chastized me and said I shouldn't "throw stones" because I don't know all the facts. Well then why doesn't OBD provide some answers?

So my questions to you guys are:

What was the substance Shawn Nelson was suspended for?

If it was so innocent why the information blackout and secrecy?

Is Chris Brown just a master propoganda puppet for the Bills?

It is my understanding that you don't get suspended with your first transgression. You are put on a list and are subjected to a suspension the next time you are caught. If that is the case then Nelson was being careless with the products he was taking.

I would appreciate it if someone will clarify whether it takes more than one banned drug transgression before enduring a suspension?

It is my understanding that you don't get suspended with your first transgression. You are put on a list and are subjected to a suspension the next time you are caught.

And a first offense will get you automatic get a 4-game suspension; i.e. there is no "warning" for a first offense and a suspension comes with a 2nd offense.

I get the none of your business stuff but cmon. We heard all about the Williams' case of starcaps, Cushing for roids, Lynch for being a thug. I've liked Shawn Nelson as a player and was hoping for a big year. If he got popped for roids and has to get off the crap he may never be any good. If he accidently inhaled second hand smoke because he got too close to Marshwans car I get it. It would just be nice to know what kind of person is on our team. Is he a good guy who likes his weed, a roider, a crack head, or just a guy trying to get an edge by taking everything off the GNC shelf? In the end I hope he gets back and is productive this year. Like to see him fly down the seam and score the winning TD against the Pats.

I didn't know if you had any more info on what it was exactly, but it DOES matter to me at least.

I don't think Cushing was ever found "guilty" of taking steroids - just testing positive for an agent that supposedly masks 'roids.

And that's the reason that teams don't typically release information on suspensions, 1. it gives the NFL's legal arm more on the record evidence, 2. fans will spin it into (potentially) something that it's not.

He took something wrong, he's out for 4 games, end of story.

first, as he was suspended, it is not his first offense so giving him "he's just a stupid young player" doesn't fly.

second, he is a professional and should know the rules. Ignorance is no defense.

next, he should have the cahones to tell people why he was suspended so we can judge if he is just stupid or just a cheat.

first, as he was suspended, it is not his first offense so giving him "he's just a stupid young player" doesn't fly.

second, he is a professional and should know the rules. Ignorance is no defense.

next, he should have the cahones to tell people why he was suspended so we can judge if he is just stupid or just a cheat.

lastly, lol at you for thinking you are someone who "deserves" to judge him.

Agreed. I think it might be nice to give an update to dispel drug rumors. But there are reasons teams don't want to release any info. Once you make this comment (to help out Nelson) then you are expected to comment in every case, or you are damning by silence. The team's position (and most teams' position) is to stay silent on the infraction.

Dead on ... teams can't really get into the business of electing if they should comment on one player then not another. The only practical position for them to take is not to comment at all. Not to mention this is a league issue and policy.

It's NOT his first offense? Really??? I'm unaware of any violations or incidents with Shawn Nelson last season (his rookie year). Can you enlighten me?

And, BTW, here is the NFL policy on banned substances:

Banned substances policy

The NFL banned substances policy has been acclaimed by some and criticized by others, but the policy is the longest running in American professional sports, beginning in 1987. The current policy of the NFL suspends players without pay who test positive for banned substances as it has since 1989: four games for the first offense (a quarter of the regular season), eight games for a second offense (half of the regular season), and 12 months for a third offense. The suspended games may be either regular season games or playoff games.

Best be careful when throwing out words like "ignorance" and "stupid". <_<

It's NOT his first offense? Really??? I'm unaware of any violations or incidents with Shawn Nelson last season (his rookie year). Can you enlighten me?

And, BTW, here is the NFL policy on banned substances:

Banned substances policy

The NFL banned substances policy has been acclaimed by some and criticized by others, but the policy is the longest running in American professional sports, beginning in 1987. The current policy of the NFL suspends players without pay who test positive for banned substances as it has since 1989: four games for the first offense (a quarter of the regular season), eight games for a second offense (half of the regular season), and 12 months for a third offense. The suspended games may be either regular season games or playoff games.

Best be careful when throwing out words like "ignorance" and "stupid". <_<

THANK YOU!!!!

So much misinformation and name calling on this board ... no one is saying he was smart to go shopping at the mall for supplements but it is clear that this is the first offense.