Boardwalk Empire...the next Sopranos

Beerball

Oh and i cant not think that Steve Buscemi & Don Knotts were separated at birth. And when they revealed that 'Nookie' was Sheriff, I couldnt help but think of Barney Fife....too many external distractions are keeoing me frim loving this thus far...

Oh well...I guess everything can't be for everyone...for me, it is one of the 4 best shows on tv right now... "Breaking Bad", "Treme" and "Mad Men" (not in that order) being the others.

... and the spats. Spats says it all for me.

What on earth are you talking about?

Edited by Buftex

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh well...I guess everything can't be for everyone...for me, it is one of the 4 best shows on tv right now... "Breaking Bad", "Treme" and "Mad Men" (not in that order) being the others.

What on earth are you talking about?

It's a period piece, and I'm having trouble with Steve Bucemi as the main heavy. Although a superb character actor, he lacks gravitas to play the pivotal role in an epic. IMHO.

Please spare me from the commercials of him walking in the water, looking sternly out to sea and huffing it back to the boardwalk after getting his spats wet.

It's a period piece, and I'm having trouble with Steve Bucemi as the main heavy. Although a superb character actor, he lacks gravitas to play the pivotal role in an epic. IMHO.

Please spare me from the commercials of him walking in the water, looking sternly out to sea and huffing it back to the boardwalk after getting his spats wet.

Nucky Thompson is based on a real life historical figure, Enoch Johnson. He was known for presenting himself as a gentlemen, a constant joke teller, a little flamboyent, but loved by the people he was "elected" to serve... he had a darker person than most of his constituents realized.

Edited by Buftex

• 8 months later...

Gyp is an excellent "bad guy"/ mobster. The new season is pretty good, for the posters that don't get Buschemi as Nucky i disagree vehemently.

It amazes me how a schmucky guy like Buschemi can be so "calm and cool" as the main charecter. FWIW I think he kills it as Nucky.

Eli the brother is also a great actor. Good show altogether.

Im sorry, I cant get into anything where Steve Buscemi has a line of poontang following him.

I can suspend disbelief for a lot of ****, but even I have my limits.

$$$$ talks bull **** walks, or in this case $$$$ !@#$s, bull **** marries some fat Irish broad. I can suspend disbelief as back then $$$$ spoke a lot louder than it does today as women didn't have the economic choices they do now.

Last couple of episodes have been great

My boss loves the show and we spent like an hour at work trying to figure out what happens next

Sepculation: Jillian gets in bed with Gyp (figuratively and probably literally). Some stuff goes down at the Artemis Club and little Tommy gets hurt. Richard has had enough, he loves that kid like his own son so he takes him and his new girl away, Then he comes back and goes Rambo WWI style

Sepculation: Nucky figures out what's been going on between Owen and Margaret but doesn't doesn't voice his suspicions. Margaret cozies up with Nucky for awhile then takes some of that bad milk so Nucky won't suspect the baby belongs to Owen

Sepculation: Chalky is the one who saves the day. Nucky rewards him with that night club with the "Chandleobras"

Sepculation: Nucky won't forgive Rothstein for turning his back so he will turn to Luciano and Lanskey, who he sees as Rothsteins lackeys. But he will never suspect that it was they who gave up Owen

Sepculation: Torio will want nothing to do with Nucky but Capone will recognize with Remus arrested and Nucky's new Pennsylvania operation, to work something out with Eli

Just a few guesses, probably going to be all wrong

Gyp has been a great addition to the show. Made me forget about James Darmody.

Quite a character but nobody chewed scenery like Michael Pitt. The dude could be in silhouette and still emote a few pages. Seeing Bobby Cannavale in this role is really weird. He's been a road comic for years and folks love him. He's shown up in a few things over the years (Google Louis CK & him for a great NSFW bit about re-starting CK's career; he was also funny in "Win Win" in a few scenes with Paul Giamatti).

I really like this show. Seeing Owen & the other guy show up at the spa, you just knew it was going to turn out bad just because we know who really killed Joe "The Boss" Masseria. I guess I feel bad for Katie.

Yeah, I think this season has been pretty great. Even love the less dramatic moment....the Easter dinner episode (one of those classic Soprano style "nothing happened" episodes) was excellent. I do think Gyp was added to give the show a little more of an emotional resonance..he is an obvious villan...the other guys, at times, you can't tell who is the "good guy" and who is the "bad guy".

I love Buscemi, but, early on, I wasn't buying him completely, as Nucky. But the role is his now. It works for me.

As someone said earlier in this thread, I think Buscemi nails it as Nucky.

I was hoping to see more Omar, er, Chalky, in this season. Judging by the previews for this weekend's episode, it looks like Chalky is going to play a big part in this season's last 2 episodes.

As someone said earlier in this thread, I think Buscemi nails it as Nucky.

I was hoping to see more Omar, er, Chalky, in this season. Judging by the previews for this weekend's episode, it looks like Chalky is going to play a big part in this season's last 2 episodes.

Looks to be the case..another great episode last night. Even got a Buffalo reference in the show, though Maggadino ruled from the Falls.

Also, Buffal came up in a scene in Treme..

Last couple of episodes have been great

My boss loves the show and we spent like an hour at work trying to figure out what happens next

Sepculation: Jillian gets in bed with Gyp (figuratively and probably literally). Some stuff goes down at the Artemis Club and little Tommy gets hurt. Richard has had enough, he loves that kid like his own son so he takes him and his new girl away, Then he comes back and goes Rambo WWI style

Sepculation: Chalky is the one who saves the day. Nucky rewards him with that night club with the "Chandleobras"

Sepculation: Torio will want nothing to do with Nucky but Capone will recognize with Remus arrested and Nucky's new Pennsylvania operation, to work something out with Eli

Just a few guesses, probably going to be all wrong

You nailed these I think. Impressive, most impressive!!!