Boardwalk Empire...the next Sopranos

Beerball

She did tell "little Jimmy's" wife that she used to "kiss his tinker" when she changed his dipers as a lad... love Gretchen Mol,but I gotta say, I hate her character...like you are supposed to!

Now we know it was more than kissing his tinker as a boy eh?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...wow...wow...this series just made a seismic shift the last two episodes...gotta say, I didn't see the events of last nights' finale coming...not sure how I feel about it...I thought, if anyone, Eli was going to get it...

Completely agree with you. That was a shocker. :death:

Wow...wow...wow...this series just made a seismic shift the last two episodes...gotta say, I didn't see the events of last nights' finale coming...not sure how I feel about it...I thought, if anyone, Eli was going to get it...

I completely agree.....can't believe what happened. What was most shocking to me, perhaps, was that Enoch did the "dirty work." Amazing.....can't wait until next season.

Aww snap! :o

In the pivotal scene, what I thought would happen (but didn't)

I thought Nucky would aim for Jimmy, but move the gun over and pop Eli. Then Jimmy would finish Manny.

Going to have to remember to cancel HBO now and pick it back up for next season

Aww snap! :o

In the pivotal scene, what I thought would happen (but didn't)

I thought Nucky would aim for Jimmy, but move the gun over and pop Eli. Then Jimmy would finish Manny.

Going to have to remember to cancel HBO now and pick it back up for next season

I understand, on shows like this, you can never be too surprised when something like this happens...

I guess the only thing that bothers me, just a little, we spent the better part of the last 4 episodes delving into Jimmy. His wife's death was pretty shocking, his descent into heroin, flashbacks to his younger days at Princeton, realizing that he is better "muscle" than brain, the (not so shocking) reveal about his relationship with his mother...and then, boom, he is gone...I love the show, don't get me wrong, but it seems like they had to do more to engage on his character, so his death would have more impact. A minor quibble I suppose.

What I did like about his death scene, unknown to me as I was watching, they were sort of telegraphing it as the finale went along...Jimmy pretty much attempts to make peace with everyone, except his mother, before he dies. And, he knows, when he gets that phone call in the dark rainy night, he is going to his death. He goes unarmed...like he said (and they showed) he "died in the trenches", and ever since, he has just been trying to figure out where he fits in the world. Either way, I suppose the biggest impact of the scene was the fact that Nucky killed Jimmy, when he didn't have to...Nucky is becoming a real gangster, rather than a just a shyster...

I got a sort of unrelated question, for those who saw the second to last episode: Richard (the masked man) goes into the room where Angela and her lover were shot, there is blood on the ground. He bends down and puts his hands in the blood. Did he pick something up (jewelry, a bullet shell?) or did he just dip his hands in the blood? I couldn't figure it out.

So, does Jimmy's death mean the end of the Richard character?

Also, what of Van Alden? Richard and Van Alden are two of my favorite characters on the show...

Edited by Buftex

I understand, on shows like this, you can never be too surprised when something like this happens...

I guess the only thing that bothers me, just a little, we spent the better part of the last 4 episodes delving into Jimmy. His wife's death was pretty shocking, his descent into heroin, flashbacks to his younger days at Princeton, realizing that he is better "muscle" than brain, the (not so shocking) reveal about his relationship with his mother...and then, boom, he is gone...I love the show, don't get me wrong, but it seems like they had to do more to engage on his character, so his death would have more impact. A minor quibble I suppose.

What I did like about his death scene, unknown to me as I was watching, they were sort of telegraphing it as the finale went along...Jimmy pretty much attempts to make peace with everyone, except his mother, before he dies. And, he knows, when he gets that phone call in the dark rainy night, he is going to his death. He goes unarmed...like he said (and they showed) he "died in the trenches", and ever since, he has just been trying to figure out where he fits in the world. Either way, I suppose the biggest impact of the scene was the fact that Nucky killed Jimmy, when he didn't have to...Nucky is becoming a real gangster, rather than a just a shyster...

I got a sort of unrelated question, for those who saw the second to last episode: Richard (the masked man) goes into the room where Angela and her lover were shot, there is blood on the ground. He bends down and puts his hands in the blood. Did he pick something up (jewelry, a bullet shell?) or did he just dip his hands in the blood? I couldn't figure it out.

So, does Jimmy's death mean the end of the Richard character?

Also, what of Van Alden? Richard and Van Alden are two of my favorite characters on the show...

To answer your question, I believe he just put his hand in the blood. I didn't notice him picking anything up off the ground. Remember, earlier in the season it was intimated that Richard was "taking a liking" to Jimmy's wife. He was mourning her loss IMO.

And don't forget what Mrs. Thompson did. When it's all said and done she may very well end up hanging out with her late husband.

yeah thats going to be very interesting....

re: james---hard to understand that one boychic.he was the #2 person on the show after nucky.

soory guys on the ipad and tech idiot, so have no idea how to show a link. That being said, EW has a great interview with Terrance Winter..Van Alden being in Cicero is not by chance..remember that is where Capone ran his operation out of..I have to admit, i did not see the whole scene unfolding the way it did..i am such a dolt wahn it comes to these things. When Jimmy showed without the gun,i understood..not a minute before.

Also, Nucky going hrad core gangster was a surprise ito me..ole Margaret not gunna be nice to him next year

soory guys on the ipad and tech idiot, so have no idea how to show a link. That being said, EW has a great interview with Terrance Winter..Van Alden being in Cicero is not by chance..remember that is where Capone ran his operation out of..I have to admit, i did not see the whole scene unfolding the way it did..i am such a dolt wahn it comes to these things. When Jimmy showed without the gun,i understood..not a minute before.

Also, Nucky going hrad core gangster was a surprise ito me..ole Margaret not gunna be nice to him next year

As most of you know, I think, Terrance Winter was the #2a guy behind the scenes on "The Sopranos". First was, of course, David Chase, and then Terrence Winter, and Matthew Weiner ("Mad Men")...both "Mad Men" and "Boardwalk Empire" revisit a lot of the same themes as "The Sopranos". Margaret and her conflicted feelings for Nucky and the way he provides for her and her kids, is a pure re-telling of the saga of Tony & Carmella Soprano. It always seems, on all these "dark shows" many viewers end up hating the female characters...if you recall, Tony never "whacked" Carmella, and Nucky will never do the same to Margaret...besides, she is a babe!

As most of you know, I think, Terrance Winter was the #2a guy behind the scenes on "The Sopranos". First was, of course, David Chase, and then Terrence Winter, and Matthew Weiner ("Mad Men")...both "Mad Men" and "Boardwalk Empire" revisit a lot of the same themes as "The Sopranos". Margaret and her conflicted feelings for Nucky and the way he provides for her and her kids, is a pure re-telling of the saga of Tony & Carmella Soprano. It always seems, on all these "dark shows" many viewers end up hating the female characters...if you recall, Tony never "whacked" Carmella, and Nucky will never do the same to Margaret...besides, she is a babe!

of course he will never wack margaret..but...well something interesting will happen

• 2 months later...

OK I just got through season 1. I am trying to love this show, but it just seems so damned contrived(i know...oxymoron). it's good, but i cannot help but think this is a mash-up between the sopranos and hello dolly. I am hoping the over the top feeling i get was all about character and back story development and that season 2 gets 'meatier'. I'm not gonna give up on it, but I am having trouble 'loving' this series so far.

OK I just got through season 1. I am trying to love this show, but it just seems so damned contrived(i know...oxymoron). it's good, but i cannot help but think this is a mash-up between the sopranos and hello dolly. I am hoping the over the top feeling i get was all about character and back story development and that season 2 gets 'meatier'. I'm not gonna give up on it, but I am having trouble 'loving' this series so far.

:thumbsup: that was the stopper for me too.

I think you will like the 2nd season a lot more. I liked the first season, but, I agree, it took a lot of time to build up to a point where, for me, it went from "good, but not great"....second season reaches that level. It definitely owes to the "Sopranos"...not quite sure about "Hello Dolly".

Oh and i cant not think that Steve Buscemi & Don Knotts were separated at birth. And when they revealed that 'Nookie' was Sheriff, I couldnt help but think of Barney Fife....too many external distractions are keeoing me frim loving this thus far...

... and the spats. Spats says it all for me.