Boardwalk Empire...the next Sopranos

Beerball

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just started rewatching the show for the 2nd time from the beginning. It's way better then the first time. Miss just a sentence the first time and you never get who a character is. Now that I know who's who it's way easier to follow.

Glad to hear you are giving it a second chance...it is worth it. Not sure how you are watching it, but the blu-ray (probably the DVD too) have some amazing extras...on one of them, they kind of give you the "real" story of all these characters. Pretty much everyone is based on a real person, some more loosely than others...it is pretty cool. I am pretty good with the mafia stuff, but I was having a tough time keeping up with some of the characters early on....at the begining of the series it just seems like a lot of little side stories, but as it goes on, all the stuff starts to tie together....

Glad to hear you are giving it a second chance...it is worth it. Not sure how you are watching it, but the blu-ray (probably the DVD too) have some amazing extras...on one of them, they kind of give you the "real" story of all these characters. Pretty much everyone is based on a real person, some more loosely than others...it is pretty cool. I am pretty good with the mafia stuff, but I was having a tough time keeping up with some of the characters early on....at the begining of the series it just seems like a lot of little side stories, but as it goes on, all the stuff starts to tie together....

Yeah I am a bit of a 1920's-40's organized crime buff myself and it is cool to see the brutish Capone, cunning Rothstein, etc all portrayed just as I pictured them.

Yeah I am a bit of a 1920's-40's organized crime buff myself and it is cool to see the brutish Capone, cunning Rothstein, etc all portrayed just as I pictured them.

They are all great, but the guy who plays Rothstein is awesome! When you get to the third season, he takes on more prominence.

Not sure how to explain this, but there is a cool dynamic between the elder Rothstein and his proteges Meyer Lansky and Lucky Luciano. Rothstein always seems to have this sort of demonic look of glee on his face, even when he is !@#$ing people over. They never verbalize it, but it seems like the guy who plays Lansky kind of tries to imitate the demonic smile. Not sure what the real life dynamic was between the two, but I assume, both being Jewish, the younger Lansky kind of looked up to, or idolized Rothstein....

Great show...as much as I can't wait for new "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad", I am looking forward to season four of "Boadwalk Empire" every bit as much.

btw- didn't mean to slight Capone...he is great too...hard to believe he is a limey!

Edited by Buftex

They are all great, but the guy who plays Rothstein is awesome! When you get to the third season, he takes on more prominence.

Not sure how to explain this, but there is a cool dynamic between the elder Rothstein and his proteges Meyer Lansky and Lucky Luciano. Rothstein always seems to have this sort of demonic look of glee on his face, even when he is !@#$ing people over. They never verbalize it, but it seems like the guy who plays Lansky kind of tries to imitate the demonic smile. Not sure what the real life dynamic was between the two, but I assume, both being Jewish, the younger Lansky kind of looked up to, or idolized Rothstein....

Great show...as much as I can't wait for new "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad", I am looking forward to season four of "Boadwalk Empire" every bit as much.

btw- didn't mean to slight Capone...he is great too...hard to believe he is a limey!

Rothstein is a very cool character, the best on the show. Loved in one of the S1 episodes he makes a deal for booze with Thomson that has Thomson patting himself on the back for taking Rothstein for a chump.

That night Rothstein go's to Nucy's gambling hall and cleans them out for 2x what he was paying for the booze.Good stuff.

Capone a limey? I Guess you mean the actor, not the real one?

• 7 months later...

I'm watching and waiting to see how all the threads start tying together.

Really curious to see what the interest the FBI has in Eddie. Rothstein dropping $200,000 on a single hand to Nucy was awesome. Edit just rewatched. the last show. Just noticed Rothsteins right hand man [now Nucys partner] is Meyer Lansky. I love the historical characters in here.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Really curious to see what the interest the FBI has in Eddie. Rothstein dropping $200,000 on a single hand to Nucy was awesome. Edit just rewatched. the last show. Just noticed Rothsteins right hand man [now Nucys partner] is Meyer Lansky. I love the historical characters in here.

Lansky has been there since Season 1 and his buddy Charles Luciano, aka Lucky, is the original Godfather. He gets there in a few years (early 30s) after killing Big Joe

Rothstein, in an episode or two ago, mentioned to Nucky that he was calculating the odds of Nucky calling the meeting in order to kill him. Then he said something about going to play cards. Later in the 20s Rothstein is assassinated at a card game.

And then there's Al Capone and Dean Obannion. This season is set in 1924, that's all i'm gonna say ;)

The scene with Rothstein is to not only establish the rise of Lansky and Luciano, but the decline of Rothstein. Up to this point, Rothstein has been a steady, rational rock of organization and calculation. Now, both Lansky and Nucky both see he is losing his touch. I love the multiple meanings of "All In"! Michael Stuhlbarg is AMAZING as Rothstein... so cold, so Confucius-like, like Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday in Tombstone.

Dr. Narcisse is a fine addition to the show to provide another thinking man's gangster... after Rosetti, it is nice to see... him using the Garvey association as a cover is perfect.

I am getting SO tired of the Gillian storyline... she is annoying, boring, and a time waster.

On the other hand, I cannot get enough of van Alden/Mueller... he never ceases to amaze me the kinds of situations he gets into, and the men who he associates with. It is truly a hidden gem in a great show. Siding with Capone can only bring even better storylines!!!!

So, Eli's son is becoming quite the criminal... now this piques my interest!

Edited by BmoreBills

I am getting SO tired of the Gillian storyline... she is annoying, boring, and a time waster.

Me too. But I suspect her storyline may pick up and intertwine with the Heroin storyline. Hopefully culminating in her untimely demise

On the other hand, I cannot get enough of van Alden/Mueller... he never ceases to amaze me the kinds of situations he gets into, and the men who he associates with. It is truly a hidden gem in a great show. Siding with Capone can only bring even better storylines!!!!

One of my favorite characters since season 1

So, Eli's son is becoming quite the criminal... now this piques my interest!

I suspect he will become Nucky's new protege this season to replace Darmity and Slater, and also to cause some friction with Eli who wants his kids away from the family business

Anyone still watching? Last weekends episode was best I.ve seen in a while.

Glad you are still watching Jim. I think it has been great too...the whole Nucky/Rothstein card game was great..."you never know a man until you play cards with him" says AR...not realizing he is exposing his weaknesses to Nucky. It will be interesting to see how far into the Myer Lansky story they go....have to do some study on this... can't tell what is going to happen with Van Alden.

Lansky has been there since Season 1 and his buddy Charles Luciano, aka Lucky, is the original Godfather. He gets there in a few years (early 30s) after killing Big Joe

Rothstein, in an episode or two ago, mentioned to Nucky that he was calculating the odds of Nucky calling the meeting in order to kill him. Then he said something about going to play cards. Later in the 20s Rothstein is assassinated at a card game.

And then there's Al Capone and Dean Obannion. This season is set in 1924, that's all i'm gonna say ;)

Ah, you know your crime history...I used to, but have forgotten so much. On the DVD set for season two there is an excellent documentary about all the guy that these characters are based on...the Capone/O'Bannion rivalry was pretty bloody.

Do you know if Gyp Rosetti was based on a real person?

Edited by Buftex

Glad you are still watching Jim. I think it has been great too...the whole Nucky/Rothstein card game was great..."you never know a man until you play cards with him" says AR...not realizing he is exposing his weaknesses to Nucky. It will be interesting to see how far into the Myer Lansky story they go....have to do some study on this... can't tell what is going to happen with Van Alden.

Ah, you know your crime history...I used to, but have forgotten so much. On the DVD set for season two there is an excellent documentary about all the guy that these characters are based on...the Capone/O'Bannion rivalry was pretty bloody.

Do you know if Gyp Rosetti was based on a real person?

After taking Rothstein for 200 G;s [on a queen high flush!] Nucy mocks him and says "Do you know me now?" Then Lansky beats a man to death that mocked Rothstein at the table. I can't wait to see how Lansky goes. He put $500,000 on the table with Nucy on the Florida land deal but still seems to think he is aligned with Rothstein In a way. Very cool show why better than breaking because it really happened.

After taking Rothstein for 200 G;s [on a queen high flush!] Nucy mocks him and says "Do you know me now?" Then Lansky beats a man to death that mocked Rothstein at the table. I can't wait to see how Lansky goes. He put $500,000 on the table with Nucy on the Florida land deal but still seems to think he is aligned with Rothstein In a way. Very cool show why better than breaking because it really happened.

It is a bit unfair because you know who lives and who dies in Boardwalk Empire with respect to the historical characters and you don't know anyone in Breaking Bad, at least for me. Lansky still has allegiance to Rothstein presently as in the past, but he also knows Nucky is his future.

Character building episode tonite.

Nucky bonds with Willie. I suspect the Willie storyline will lead to him becoming Nucky's new protege causing a rift with Eli. Eli wants Willie nowhere near the family business and possibly result in Eli being stepped over by Nucky's new protege.

Al loses his brother and bonds with Van Alden/Mueller. Will Van Alden/Mueller develop a habit of the nose candy?

Is it wrong for me to keep hoping that junk whore Jillian dies of an overdose?