Farewell to all, you guys are great fans.... I mean that!

DIE HARD 1967

Paul Guidry?

Whether it's Guidry or Cunningham doesn't matter to me. I just think it's cool an old school Bill made his presence known on the board. He played during my favorite years of Bills football. I started following them in 1968 when I was 9. I have a scrapbook I made back then with newspaper clipping and program photos of the 1968 season. It's hilarious to look at now, only because of my incredibly poor "scrapbooking" skills! I loved those guys back then...they were "shot and a beer" kind of guys....I looked at them much like my Dad the DuPont factory worker - blue collar, hard working and dedicated to their jobs. And I had that childish awe and optimism about those teams...I wasn't old enough to be jaded or cynical. They weren't role models, but they were the focus of my attention, for sure...along with Bobo Brazil, Waldo Von Erich and The Sheik.

Thanks for letting yourself be known and if you want to make a grand exit, it's cool by me.

Edited by WotAGuy

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not a knock against the board, actually its the opposite.....wonderful place to hang out.

I am going to tell you a little secret but this will change your attitude about your threads and comments!

Are you ready?

I played for the Buffalo Bills 1967-1972. I read your comments and I now understand the fans better. Just a little warning here!

The players do frequent the message boards, and they do care what you write and yes I personally know 1 former player that posts here!!! Yep, it is true! If you investigate, you could easily figure it out! I did ! I PMed the guy and we now chat from time to time!

So why leave the board now? No player or former player is interested reading garbage about why a player should be waived or why he is overpaid.These are proud, proud former star college football players. The career is short, the physical burden is high and the players are just people. We all have emotions and nobody enjoys bashing! The Buffalo fans are the best but by far the most frustrated.

I will stop by from time to time and read some topics but my responding days are over.

Oh, and my prediction for 2010?

Some of you place to much importance in high skill players. The "team" will determine the final outcome.

Buffalo is better then most of you think and a playoff birth is not impossible!

I thought about placing my real name here, but most likely someone will say I sucked or I was just a good solid player.

Either way I will not be happy because football was my LIFE and still is!

So I ask the question and this is a good one.....

IF YOU WERE A FORMER PLAYER,WOULD YOU PLACE YOUR REAL NAME ON THIS BOARD? If you think about it very carefully, the answer is no way! Some will call this thread a hoax but that should be expected from fans in today's world! Everything is a hoax and everybody is a fraud, not always true guys! Some people are honest and until proven otherwise, learn to trust people!

Good luck on your threads, the season, and GO BILLS

-DIEHARD 1967

I hate to see you leave. I know the board gets to me sometimes but I still love hanging out from time to time. I hope you change you mind.

This is not a knock against the board, actually its the opposite.....wonderful place to hang out.

I am going to tell you a little secret but this will change your attitude about your threads and comments!

Are you ready?

I played for the Buffalo Bills 1967-1972. I read your comments and I now understand the fans better. Just a little warning here!

The players do frequent the message boards, and they do care what you write and yes I personally know 1 former player that posts here!!! Yep, it is true! If you investigate, you could easily figure it out! I did ! I PMed the guy and we now chat from time to time!

So why leave the board now? No player or former player is interested reading garbage about why a player should be waived or why he is overpaid.These are proud, proud former star college football players. The career is short, the physical burden is high and the players are just people. We all have emotions and nobody enjoys bashing! The Buffalo fans are the best but by far the most frustrated.

I will stop by from time to time and read some topics but my responding days are over.

Oh, and my prediction for 2010?

Some of you place to much importance in high skill players. The "team" will determine the final outcome.

Buffalo is better then most of you think and a playoff birth is not impossible!

I thought about placing my real name here, but most likely someone will say I sucked or I was just a good solid player.

Either way I will not be happy because football was my LIFE and still is!

So I ask the question and this is a good one.....

IF YOU WERE A FORMER PLAYER,WOULD YOU PLACE YOUR REAL NAME ON THIS BOARD? If you think about it very carefully, the answer is no way! Some will call this thread a hoax but that should be expected from fans in today's world! Everything is a hoax and everybody is a fraud, not always true guys! Some people are honest and until proven otherwise, learn to trust people!

Good luck on your threads, the season, and GO BILLS!!!

-DIEHARD 1967

Wish you'd reconsider. I probably wouldn't post my name because I have thin skin. A current or former player who reads the board subjects himself to criticism. But they also played the game at a level no fan can relate to. I doubt there's anything said to or about a player on this board that they haven't heard before. "You sucked" for example has probably been said by a former coach, who really cares?

Anyway I hope you decide to stick around. It would be really nice to get your expert opinion about things. I think you should stay, not give your real name, so we can learn from you. If you leave, thanks for being here amongst the best, most frustrated sports fans in the world.

pretty thin skinned there arent ya paul costa? dick cunninham? paul guidry? remi prudhomme (played both ol and dl!)?

i worked for twenty years in corporate america, the last handful as an executive. do i get offended or upset when people call those kinds of people generally soulless automatons so lost in their godlike worship of money and social status that they become empty shells of people devoid of sensitivity and compassion focused on only the most superficial elements of life as they claw and scratch their way to the front of the rat race even though when they get there they will find it completely lacking in the kind of internal satisfaction they were so desperately looking for leaving them gasping for any kind of semblance of meaning in their wretched lives?

heck no, cuz its usually me making those observations

being under the microscope and criticized unfairly is part of the life celebs choose. sure, it would be great if people werent like that, but they are. you either deal with it, do something about it, or choose other pastures to graze in. what does saying 'hey i used to be one and you guys suck' accomplish? its like the guys around here who announce they are finished with this team and are leaving - thats cool but just go. if youre not actually going to do something to try to make it better than i dont need to hear that youre leaving

people do generally suck, but celebs bring a ton of that upon themselves too. all the money (least nowadays) and attention is like a drug. and just like other addicts, celebs get fooled into thinking their status has something to do with how great they are, so usually they turn into self centered douchebags who cant relate to the average joe. same thing with corporate execs, actually. not always, of course, but enough that the people in those circle self-perpetuate the poisoning of their spiritual selves and cementing the douchebaggery among most of them

thats the reason i dont buy or wear current players jerseys, because i refuse to stoke the hero worshipping sickness that entraps a great many fans and players. celebs are just people, usually (not always) attention craving messed up people, but people nonetheless. im not going to feed their addiction, nor am i gonna feed mine. i will watch, i will root, and i will pay to attend games, but i wont put the humans involved on any kind of pedestal. they really become more like two dimensional cartoon characters, which is pretty much the same impact they have on my life. if they dont want to get to know me as a person and like me for it then why would i want to make them a hero in my life?

so go in peace. but next time dont announce when youre leaving. if youve really had your fill you dont need to tell everybody about it

Your posting name is most appropriate.

You sound broken down dude...good riddens, only true bills fans can handle this board.

Good riddens? Wow 26 posts, top notch in spelling and grammar.... how about you leave the board and DieHard comes back?

I feel the same.....i used to post here on a regular basis, but it was to the point where I was bashed on every thought I had on the bills. Die Hard you were by far my favorite poster on here....sad to see you go....but do what you gotta do. Good luck and god bless.....twobillsdrive lost a good dude today....thats a shame!

I’ve thought for a while about your farewell. It’s regrettable that you feel compelled to leave but people come and go from the board every day. What you get here is a slice of humanity that is simply tied together through their passion for a team. Some are eloquent, respectful, knowledgeable and agreeable; others are the opposite and most fall somewhere in-between.

Current or former players, like any of us, elect to be a part of this forum or not. I suspect many simply choose not to because of the noise and criticism that will inevitably come from fans. Anyone participating here has to have thick skin from time to time or to simply ignore comments that are made. I believe the moderators do a good job keeping things civil but the bottom line is that people are free to say pretty much what they want in response to anything that is posted.

Criticism of the team or players is inevitable and likely to be sharp at times. As long as the comments are directed towards the players efforts and results on the field in my opinion they are fair game. Sport is entertainment. People enjoy the process forming and expressing opinions along with connecting to the team of their choice. As a result they offer their dollars and attention creating the environment that funds the salaries of the players and drives revenue for the league.

I do believe there are boundaries between players and fans that should not be crossed. Players should be left alone in their “personal” lives unless the player opens the door for participation. To me this includes leaving their houses, families and personal activities alone. An example was that I was once on a flight with Darryl Talley and his family. He sat directly behind me. As Darryl assisted his wife and child I helped him put a bag in the overhead, did the same with mine and took my seat. I did not ask him for an autograph and other than the usual common courtesy of “hello and thank you” I had no conversation with him. I’ve had many ask me why not get an autograph or say something to him? For me it was simply a decision to respect the fact he was with family and really did not need to be bothered.

Take care and best of luck. I hope you will remain a part of the board but understand if you elect not to.

I am positive JP and Hamden were posting regularly! Thanks for blowing your cover, but hopefully you'll assume a new identity and begin posting again.

Some people are only energized by negativity and it result in lots of downer posts. I find reading and posting a nice hobby, with some interesting debate and a good way to bridge between seasons.

Hopefully you enjoyed your time with the Bills and were well supported by the fans.

A very long time ago Al Bemiller used to work at a Boys Club on the west side of Buffalo. One time when we were playing around he picked me up while I was in my gym clothes and carried me into the shower to cool me off.

that's a bit creepy.

was there a loofah involved?

Die Hard, I've always enjoyed your posts. They're well thought out and great reads. After reading most everyone's kind hearted and sincere responses, I hope you will reconsider and keep posting.

You don't have to give us your true identity, I don't think anyone here will give you a hard time if you keep it under wraps. It's great to know that at least one former Bills player has posted here. Hopefully there are more. It's an honor to have conversed with you.

Take some time and think about what your contributions have meant to this board. Obviously many here appreciate your posts and your dedication to the Bills, past and present.

Keep posting Die Hard :thumbsup:

Go Bills!!!

pretty thin skinned there arent ya paul costa? dick cunninham? paul guidry? remi prudhomme (played both ol and dl!)?

i worked for twenty years in corporate america, the last handful as an executive. do i get offended or upset when people call those kinds of people generally soulless automatons so lost in their godlike worship of money and social status that they become empty shells of people devoid of sensitivity and compassion focused on only the most superficial elements of life as they claw and scratch their way to the front of the rat race even though when they get there they will find it completely lacking in the kind of internal satisfaction they were so desperately looking for leaving them gasping for any kind of semblance of meaning in their wretched lives?

heck no, cuz its usually me making those observations

being under the microscope and criticized unfairly is part of the life celebs choose. sure, it would be great if people werent like that, but they are. you either deal with it, do something about it, or choose other pastures to graze in. what does saying 'hey i used to be one and you guys suck' accomplish? its like the guys around here who announce they are finished with this team and are leaving - thats cool but just go. if youre not actually going to do something to try to make it better than i dont need to hear that youre leaving

people do generally suck, but celebs bring a ton of that upon themselves too. all the money (least nowadays) and attention is like a drug. and just like other addicts, celebs get fooled into thinking their status has something to do with how great they are, so usually they turn into self centered douchebags who cant relate to the average joe. same thing with corporate execs, actually. not always, of course, but enough that the people in those circle self-perpetuate the poisoning of their spiritual selves and cementing the douchebaggery among most of them

thats the reason i dont buy or wear current players jerseys, because i refuse to stoke the hero worshipping sickness that entraps a great many fans and players. celebs are just people, usually (not always) attention craving messed up people, but people nonetheless. im not going to feed their addiction, nor am i gonna feed mine. i will watch, i will root, and i will pay to attend games, but i wont put the humans involved on any kind of pedestal. they really become more like two dimensional cartoon characters, which is pretty much the same impact they have on my life. if they dont want to get to know me as a person and like me for it then why would i want to make them a hero in my life?

so go in peace. but next time dont announce when youre leaving. if youve really had your fill you dont need to tell everybody about it

e. e. cummings?

1. I'm calling B.S. on this post. All of you who sympathetically grovelled in response to this post have been suckered.

2. I won't waste my time investigating, but the list of people that played consecutively and exclusively for the Bills from 67-72 must be a short one.

3. Next time you want to leave, listen to Nike and Just Do It! No need to start a "you guys are great fans, but you suck" thread, just piss off!

Really ... why not take what the man says at face value ... if he says he played for the Bills, that's fine with me. It's not worth the effort to try to research, it's not worth the time to even say BS ... he said he played for the Bills that's good enough for me. I'm sure he understands that being an ex-Bill doesn't give him special privledges on TBD, if he was looking for "special treatment" he would have declared himself a Bills player on his first post ... and IMHO ... we then should have afforded him some type of "professional curtesy" by being a little circumspect with our opinions tword him and his team mates.

This string has started me thinking ...

what if a few players and/or coaches signed in, identified themselves and said they we would like to participate in the boards discussions about football and the team but we had to understand they did not want to hear trash talking, and there were some questions that they wouldn't address such as injury status, future game plans, trade/draft plans etc.

Could we be adult enough to not spoil the relationship?

Really ... why not take what the man says at face value ... if he says he played for the Bills, that's fine with me. It's not worth the effort to try to research, it's not worth the time to even say BS ... he said he played for the Bills that's good enough for me. I'm sure he understands that being an ex-Bill doesn't give him special privledges on TBD, if he was looking for "special treatment" he would have declared himself a Bills player on his first post ... and IMHO ... we then should have afforded him some type of "professional curtesy" by being a little circumspect with our opinions tword him and his team mates.

This string has started me thinking ...

what if a few players and/or coaches signed in, identified themselves and said they we would like to participate in the boards discussions about football and the team but we had to understand they did not want to hear trash talking, and there were some questions that they wouldn't address such as injury status, future game plans, trade/draft plans etc.

Could we be adult enough to not spoil the relationship?

They don't have time for that, I mean, they may glance over once in a great while but as far as posting, they can't be discussing anything meaningful during the season.

and as for me, I don't want to know if any players are on this board because I don't care. It'll completely !@#$ up this board if we have to tip toe so as not to hurt someones feelings.

...and besides, you can twitter tweet them if you really need that interaction

...just saying

First off, I agree that any man who makes it to the NFL is a freak athlete. I played college baseball at a high level, went to low A rookie ball out of college, and discovered what real ball players were, even at that level. There is a distinct difference between being good at something and being a pro. With that being said, I don't apologize or feel bad for the criticism they endure. I don't condone personal attacks, but harsh criticism on their football ability is fine. Even a backup safety makes more than most CEO's so that alone should thicken ones skin. I believe its better to play for a passionate frustrated fan base than it is for an indifferent one. PS Go Bills

1. I'm calling B.S. on this post. All of you who sympathetically grovelled in response to this post have been suckered.

2. I won't waste my time investigating, but the list of people that played consecutively and exclusively for the Bills from 67-72 must be a short one.

3. Next time you want to leave, listen to Nike and Just Do It! No need to start a "you guys are great fans, but you suck" thread, just piss off!

I don't know either way, but I think he may be telling the truth. He was a very good poster, IMO and seemed reasonable and stable. Based on the posts of his I read, it seems a bit out of character for him to claim to be a former player. I suppose it is possible that he blew a gasket and decided to go out with some flash, but I wouldn't be all that sure about it. Also, he may have obscured his career a bit to remain a tad anonymous. (Maybe he was in the NFL those years and with the Bills for two or three of them. Or perhaps is was on the taxi squad one of those years, etc.)

Whether or not Die Hard actually played for the Bills is irrelevant to me. He was a valuable contributor. I'd trade a good number of posters here for one of him.

They don't have time for that, I mean, they may glance over once in a great while but as far as posting, they can't be discussing anything meaningful during the season.

and as for me, I don't want to know if any players are on this board because I don't care. It'll completely !@#$ up this board if we have to tip toe so as not to hurt someones feelings.

...and besides, you can twitter tweet them if you really need that interaction

...just saying

You shouldn't have to tip toe around because somebody might be here reading your post. But maybe posters shouldn't be as disparaging of players as they are because it is simply the wrong thing to do. The crap that gets posted is sometimes completely offensive, and I say that as a guy who has been known to trade in insults.

I guess what I'm saying is, while you shouldn't have to tip toe around, you don't always have to post like a total douchebag. I don't necessarily mean you specifically, I'm not all that familiar with your posts. But some don't think before they post and go out of their way to be insulting/accusatory/negative when referring to certain players (or it least it seems that way).

Yet another example of why manners are needed. Just because it's the internet, and it's a message board, doesn't mean the people posting and reading don't have a feelings... Please, everyone who posts here needs to read this thread and think twice before posting.

For the most part you guys are great here. It's awesome conversing with you and seeing different viewpoints. I would love to meet up with you guys and drink and celebrate Bills Victories.

But I have to admit with a small number of you, it would be a real challenge for me to lift my beer and toast with you. Good manners are sorely lacking with a minority here.

I'm not perfect, I've made a few harsh comments to a few people that the next day I've somewhat regretted.

One of the reasons I appreciate Die Hard's post is because he's made most of us think about the value of civility on this board.

For the most part you guys are great here. It's awesome conversing with you and seeing different viewpoints. I would love to meet up with you guys and drink and celebrate Bills Victories.

But I have to admit with a small number of you, it would be a real challenge for me to lift my beer and toast with you. Good manners are sorely lacking with a minority here.

I'm not perfect, I've made a few harsh comments to a few people that the next day I've somewhat regretted.

One of the reasons I appreciate Die Hard's post is because he's made most of us think about the value of civility on this board.

I have had drinks in person with a few dozen of the posters here over the years, and I will tell you that some of the very nastiest, impolite, malodorous, feral and abusive of the posters are the nicest guys and women you'll ever meet.