Cornell Green is awful!!!!!!!

After watching the first three preseason games, I have been consistently disgusted with the play of Cornell Green at RT. The guy is possibly the worst run blocker I have ever seen, and he isn't much better at pass blocking. He gets pushed around like a little B word, and pass rushers run past him like he is standing still. He looks like a fool out there. Is this guy really going to be our starting RT come week one? I have a hard time believing that Chan really thinks that this is the best we can do at this position. I would rather see Meredith, or dare I say it, Chambers starting in his place. Something has to be done about this. SERENITY NOW!!!

I've only watched in the second game where he looked ho-hum below average- but I know Raider Fans thought that Walker was a much better OT than Green so I've never expected Green to be anything other than a journeyman OT. If he truly stinks I'm guessing Calloway and Merdith will get a shot.

After watching the first three preseason games, I have been consistently disgusted with the play of Cornell Green at RT. The guy is possibly the worst run blocker I have ever seen, and he isn't much better at pass blocking. He gets pushed around like a little B word, and pass rushers run past him like he is standing still. He looks like a fool out there. Is this guy really going to be our starting RT come week one? I have a hard time believing that Chan really thinks that this is the best we can do at this position. I would rather see Meredith, or dare I say it, Chambers starting in his place. Something has to be done about this. SERENITY NOW!!!

It's funny at the time of the signing there were those who actually praised the acquisition.

I've only watched in the second game where he looked ho-hum below average- but I know Raider Fans thought that Walker was a much better OT than Green so I've never expected Green to be anything other than a journeyman OT. If he truly stinks I'm guessing Calloway and Merdith will get a shot.

Too bad they stink too.

I don't think Green even played in the first game. He played only a limited amount in the second.

He played yesterday and after a bad start he held up ok. Number 68 on Cinci was schooling him for awhile.

Our tackles are below par and the offensive play calling is going to have to compensate for that. Sad thing is Green is still way better than Chambers. Meredith has not challenged Green for the job as of yet.

It is what it is unfortunately.

you saw Green play in the first game? That is quite a trick.

It's funny at the time of the signing there were those who actually praised the acquisition.

I think most people praised it as a depth move. Either way, this team needed tackles.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

I think most people praised it as a depth move. Either way, this team needed tackles.

Most people knew at the salary he was given he was signed as the starter, which was bad news given the reviews coming out of Oakland. Of course, the standby excuse for those who loved this move was that Oakland sucks. Somehow I think they'll wind up with a better record than us this year though. Now that we've seen Green in action right here in Buffalo I think those that bemoaned this move have been vindicated.

Edited by HurlyBurly51

This is exactly the type of signing I'm talking about when I dog the Bills.

Bennie Andersen, Tutan Reyes, Melvin Fowler, and now this clown.

EVERY time I read we sign one of these guys, I go to check out news and commentary from the newspapers/Board of the team they just left.

In EVERY case the word is that the guy absolutely sucks and they're scratching their head as to how he signed with another NFL team.

I'm just sick and tired of this nonsense. What about Jamaal Brown? He's 4 years younger than Cornell. Why couldn't we get a competent, NFL-caliber player JUST ONCE.

EVERY time I read we sign one of these guys, I go to check out news and commentary from the newspapers/Board of the team they just left.

In EVERY case the word is that the guy absolutely sucks and they're scratching their head as to how he signed with another NFL team.

I'm just sick and tired of this nonsense. What about Jamaal Brown? He's 4 years younger than Cornell. Why couldn't we get a competent, NFL-caliber player JUST ONCE.

I agree. Last offseasn the FOs top target on the FA market was Hangartner. He only went on to be the worst starting C in the league. When your TOP FA TARGET is the WORST AT HIS POSITION IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE, you are severely lacking....

Another mind boggler was signing dockery to a 7 yr 49 million dollar contract with 18 guarenteed, when the consensous top FA guard that season was Eric Stienbach, who recieved a 7 yr, 49.5 million dollar contract with onyl 17 guarenteed. WhWhat were they thinking? We all know Dockery sucked and was cut, and Stienbach is still a quality player on the Browns. WTF?

Edited by Thoner7

Everyone said the Bills were nuts for signing him when they did!!

I agree. Last offseasn the FOs top target on the FA market was Hangartner. He only went on to be the worst starting C in the league. When your TOP FA TARGET is the WORST AT HIS POSITION IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE, you are severely lacking....

Another mind boggler was signing dockery to a 7 yr 49 million dollar contract with 18 guarenteed, when the consensous top FA guard that season was Eric Stienbach, who recieved a 7 yr, 49.5 million dollar contract with onyl 17 guarenteed. WhWhat were they thinking? We all know Dockery sucked and was cut, and Stienbach is still a quality player on the Browns. WTF?

However he was still better than Fowler and Preston. So what does that say?

However he was still better than Fowler and Preston. So what does that say?

Even having gotten rid of John Guy, the Bills F.O. still has not clue about picking

Pro Personnel?

Guy was the college scout, who's the pro scout?

Where did you get this information on Hangartner?

Even having gotten rid of John Guy, the Bills F.O. still has not clue about picking

Pro Personnel?

Whaley, the young guy from Pittsburgh is covering that role and also Assistant GM.

Pro Personnel?

Guy was the pro guy. Modrak was the college guy. Now I believe Whaley from Pittsburgh is the pro guy. I would imagine it was Nix who made the Green call though.

Pro Personnel?

I'm not disagreeing with you per se. I'm just saying that even a bad Hang is better than what we had before. And didn't Hang play with a bad back for a lot of last season? At the very least, I guess I don't have a problem with giving Hang one more season.

you saw Green play in the first game? That is quite a trick.

Read my post carefully. I didn't saw that I saw him play in the first game...simply summarizing my perception of his performance throughout the pre-season. Wisea#@. I don't think anyone can argue, based on his Green's horrid play, that Gailey needs to be looking at other options right now (i.e., Meredith, Callaway, anyone with a heartbeat). He sucked in Oakland and now he sucks in buffalo...surprise!!

Serenity now, insanity later. Personally I plan on losing my mind after the talentless Mr green blows a block that winds up getting Edwards or Spiller injured.

EVERY team picks up guys the fans don't like. Not just the Bills. Guys are usually cut for a reason, but teams still need depth. Jammal Brown is just now coming back from that injured hip he had. Who knows how he will respond over a 16 game season. And if the Bills paid him a lot of money and he got hurt you would be on here whining about how they could sign a guy who was injured all last year and pay him all that money. Just let the season play out before you go off the deep end.

Edited by purple haze

Praised? That's a bit much. Some "accepted" the acquisition as a stop gap move, but "praised"? I don't recall that.

They did in Butler but he decided to retire.

Ok well maybe they should "convince" him to change his mind. I was content (for lack of a better term) w/ the O-line last night. To be honest...........its more than we have seen in years so I guess we can only get better. Just my two cents the day after..........it is buffalo so I am sure something will happen to make us look foolish again.

Wow what a lynch mob.

You guys would have someone dead and buried before new evidence proved the accused was innocent. What a ridiculous rush to judgement.

Nix was in San Diego for almost a decade. Green was on the Raiders for three years. The Chargers play the Raiders twice a year. Besides his familiarity from being in the same division, Nix watched hundreds if not thousands of plays from Green's career before signing him. Think about that for awhile before you consider your "scouting report" more accurate than Buddy's.

And of course the vulture posters are all over this, taking the word of other posters who aren't even qualified to judge line play.

The subject of this thread is legit, but the majority of these posts are a joke. Y'all look damn silly.

Where did you get this information on Hangartner?

Whaley, the young guy from Pittsburgh is covering that role and also Assistant GM.

Because Hangartner was the only player the Bills went out and signed in the begining of FA, and he played terrible last season. At the end of the year, Pro Football Focus ranked all the centers in some kind of rankings and he was 32 of 32. Its been linked a number of times.

This was pre-Whaley

Wow what a lynch mob.

You guys would have someone dead and buried before new evidence proved the accused was innocent. What a ridiculous rush to judgement.

Nix was in San Diego for almost a decade. Green was on the Raiders for three years. The Chargers play the Raiders twice a year. Besides his familiarity from being in the same division, Nix watched hundreds if not thousands of plays from Green's career before signing him. Think about that for awhile before you consider your "scouting report" more accurate than Buddy's.

And of course the vulture posters are all over this, taking the word of other posters who aren't even qualified to judge line play.

The subject of this thread is legit, but the majority of these posts are a joke. Y'all look damn silly.

Dude, Nix was a college scout, not a coach or pro personell guy. I bet Nix barely watched much of Green in years past. Im sure he did his homework this year, but its not like Nix watched every game in Greens Raiders career...

Green is on his 6th team (counting Tampa twice bc of two seperate stints) since 2000. I assume there is a reason that 5 other teams deemed him not worth keeping.

PS I wish we still had ole Langston

Edited by Thoner7

Because Hangartner was the only player the Bills went out and signed in the begining of FA, and he played terrible last season. At the end of the year, Pro Football Focus ranked all the centers in some kind of rankings and he was 32 of 32. Its been linked a number of times.

This was pre-Whaley

Dude, Nix was a college scout, not a coach or pro personell guy. I bet Nix barely watched much of Green in years past. Im sure he did his homework this year, but its not like Nix watched every game in Greens Raiders career...

Green is on his 6th team (counting Tampa twice bc of two seperate stints) since 2000. I assume there is a reason that 5 other teams deemed him not worth keeping.

Every single FA O-lineman these guys bring in is bad. How can a group of professionals be so

wrong and over pay so often?

Well, I agree with you that Langston was a solid right tackle. He didn't do any one thing real well but he was pretty dependable for a guy lacking in mobility.

As for Cornell Green, yeah he's played for a bunch of teams. He's also entering his 11th season as an NFL offensive tackle.

So put that together with any faith you might have in the Bills new braintrust and you can probably figure out just how good or bad Green really is.

Oh. Another statistical attempt to TRY to rate offensine lineman. I wonder how they know who screwed up when a play breaks down? Yes, sometimes it is obvious but do the makers of these stats know the playbooks and the audibles for all 32 teams?

Bob-in-STL-Football-Focus saw all the games and Hangartner looked ok. He played with a rookie on his left and with a revolving door of guards on his right. He is not a star, he is average. He held up ok and for once the AFC East nose tackles did not destroy us like they had in previous years. We were 2-4 against our division last year (should have been 3-3); the year prior we were 0-6 and could not compete at all against a 3-4.

I just have a hard time ranking him dead last in the league.

Guy was the pro guy. Modrak was the college guy. Now I believe Whaley from Pittsburgh is the pro guy. I would imagine it was Nix who made the Green call though.

My understanding is that it was Nix who was instrumental in the Green pickup. When he was with the Chargers he got more opportunities to scout AFC West teams. I don't know what he saw in CG. Over the past decade or so the Bills have been atrocious in plucking offenisve linemen off of the free agency market. This foolishness has got to stop. It is sabotaging the offense. When Chambers is better than one of your starters on the line then you know you got problems.

Tell us something new. I doubt he will be the starting RT by the end of the season.

I'm not sure a guy who has been around as long as Green was being "schooled". Schooled is for a rookie or first time starter. I think the term for someone like him is bytchslapped. I couldn't believe how everyone was excited about acquiring him when the Raiders (THE RAIDERS!!) were so happy to let him go.