Tony Washington

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!

Thanks for linking that story. It is really sad and just goes to show you that sometimes the system can really treat someone in ways they do not deserve. It's really a shame there was no one there to look out for him and his sister, before and after the incident occurred.

Great Read! Given our current OT situation, he'd definitely be worth a flier. Taking a chance on him could provide a crucial piece to put a team well on its way. You're getting legit early round OT talent essentially for free.

From ESPN Magazine. Very good, in depth article. Sad story. I would take a flyer on him, for sure. I suppose I understand why teams haven't so far, I just don't agree with it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5497517

Thanks Dog, best piece I've read on an athlete in quite a while. Good luck to him and here's hoping that he does get that one chance.

Edited by Beerball

I'd like to be the team to give him a chance. He made a huge mistake and seems to regret it. Everyone deserves another chance in life.

Good luck to him.

Pretty ironic that with all the absolute scumbags the NFL lets in and gives second chances to, a kid who screwed up (but didn't hurt anyone) at 16 is the one they blackball.

Hmmm.... I am surprised to know it is illegal. Either way plaenty of players have a rap sheet and criminal history that does not perclude them form the NFL, why would this guy be differnt ?

There aren't many of them left, but the taboos that still exist die pretty hard.

I would bring him in for an interview and the very first question I would ask him would be..............................

Well Tony, how was it? 0:)

It's actually a good thing that there is sudden death overtime in the NFL because we all know that ties are like kissing your sister.

Great Read! Given our current OT situation, he'd definitely be worth a flier. Taking a chance on him could provide a crucial piece to put a team well on its way. You're getting legit early round OT talent essentially for free.

I thought he should have been one of our UDFA pick ups. The dude has a lot of concerns which is why no team risked a draft pick for him. BUT if its just a free pick up why not take a chance the Bills need to play a little money ball here and value the undervalued. It would have been such a low risk high reward move I didn't really see why we didn't do it.

From ESPN Magazine. Very good, in depth article. Sad story. I would take a flyer on him, for sure. I suppose I understand why teams haven't so far, I just don't agree with it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5497517

I guess I don't understand why teams haven't so far.

You can get inducted into the basketball HOF after impregnating a 13 year old girl and ignoring the kid who results

You can come back into the NFL after torturing and killing dogs

The guy did a wrong thing at a young age, other than that he seems like a very responsible guy

Why not give him a chance?

Hmmm.... I am surprised to know it is illegal. Either way plaenty of players have a rap sheet and criminal history that does not perclude them form the NFL, why would this guy be differnt ?

Because teams are willing to publicly take a stand for any other type of offender that he has paid his debt to society and deserves a second chance. But I'm sure they want no part of having to deal with what would no doubt be a public relations nightmare because people would be all over the team notwithstanding that they have no knowledge of the back story. Unfortunately, he has been wrongly labeled a "sex offender" and for one who has been given that label, there is no second chance in the eyes of this society. For a true pedophile, there arguably shouldn't be a second chance, because their recidivism rate is so high.

But this is a perfect example of how the system, with its obvious flaws, when left to run rampant because the victim and the defendent were both poor, allows a 15 year old to be coerced into a story that was not accurate, and a 16 year old kid to be tried and convicted as an adult. Because they couldn't afford competent counsel, there was no one there to take the police to task for their methods and to cast doubt on the "facts" and/or to keep this kid from being labeled for the rest of his life as something he is not, for a mistake they both made as unsupervised children under horrible living conditions.

I'd be curious to learn more about the investigation. The only two sources we ever hear on this are Tony and his sister, sometimes an agent or coach, but always people invested in tony, and it's framed as a redemption story every time. I suspect that the officers were tough on them, I bet it wasn't an attack or anything but I also bet there's more to this story then we generally hear. I live in new Orleans, and I promise you as much as the article frames it as the fault of his surroundings, I promise you it's not a common occurrence! I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a chance to rebuild his life, but I do think he did something serious.

Also, how would everyone feel if on the offchance our LT couldn't play in Toronto if he were signed?