Sully is at it again but I find it hard to argue this time.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions as to who they like to consume or not. However, Sully without regard to whether you like the phrases he uses is pretty much a waste of time as someone who is fortunate to be paid to watch and comment on sports.

From my standpoint as someone who can choose to spend my dollar on a newspaper, one thing I am looking for is the learned opinion of someone who is paid to be a student of the game. I will pay to read a writer who watches a bunch of pre-season games that are not really all that entertaining to me to get their analysis of the rest of the league because even though I am a Bills addict you would have to pay me to watch the rest of the league's pre-season games.

Sully strikes me as a waste of the fact the Buff Snooze pays him to if he wants be an actual student of the game. Instead he offers up the same virtually fact-free opinions based on his review of team stats (and likely a cursory review by him given the obvious "I am better than others who watch pre-season" views he expresses.

Its amazing to me that he flat outs admits he does not watch the other teams and then throws out his virtually fact free opinion that the Bills have the weakest LB crew in football. I can get the same level of research free opinion at the local bar and its even free to get it.

He really is a waste of a paycheck since I really wish the news paid someone who actually spent some time studying and learning about the rest of the league before he offers a broadbrush opinion.

Sully is a waste of a paycheck and is one of the reasons why I cancelled my subscription to the Buffalo News. He is paid to cover the most important sports franchise in Buffalo and simply flat out refuses to add value beyond what I can get for free from my neighbors.

Agree Sully is a huge D-bag! Can't stand the guy.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read another article about LB's in our division and rate ours the worst in the East. I look at the Pats with Mayo and now Spikes. We are woefully outmatched at LB. But there's a slight chance this crew of out of position, learning on the fly misfits may gel and have a better season than expected. Hey if your expected to suck but play ok then you're ahead right? Injury is the key. If they can stay healthy we have a chance to not suck. I think Poz, Veek, AD, CK, and Torbor/Maybe could at least not hurt us too bad if healthy. Always a chance they prove people wrong and become a force. But Sully and the rest of them are right to be so down on the crew given all the factors on the team and compared to the rest of the league.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions as to who they like to consume or not. However, Sully without regard to whether you like the phrases he uses is pretty much a waste of time as someone who is fortunate to be paid to watch and comment on sports.

From my standpoint as someone who can choose to spend my dollar on a newspaper, one thing I am looking for is the learned opinion of someone who is paid to be a student of the game. I will pay to read a writer who watches a bunch of pre-season games that are not really all that entertaining to me to get their analysis of the rest of the league because even though I am a Bills addict you would have to pay me to watch the rest of the league's pre-season games.

Sully strikes me as a waste of the fact the Buff Snooze pays him to if he wants be an actual student of the game. Instead he offers up the same virtually fact-free opinions based on his review of team stats (and likely a cursory review by him given the obvious "I am better than others who watch pre-season" views he expresses.

Its amazing to me that he flat outs admits he does not watch the other teams and then throws out his virtually fact free opinion that the Bills have the weakest LB crew in football. I can get the same level of research free opinion at the local bar and its even free to get it.

He really is a waste of a paycheck since I really wish the news paid someone who actually spent some time studying and learning about the rest of the league before he offers a broadbrush opinion.

Sully is a waste of a paycheck and is one of the reasons why I cancelled my subscription to the Buffalo News. He is paid to cover the most important sports franchise in Buffalo and simply flat out refuses to add value beyond what I can get for free from my neighbors.

Yeah, so tell us all the things he's been wrong about with regard to the last 10 years of this franchise.

He's like a Journalist Troll. He says stuff that will get people riled up, talking and most importantly to him ... reading. Disregard.

Exactly.

Jerry Sullivan is a hack writer who likes to yell 'fire' in a crowded movie theatre and then stands to wait to see the commotion that he caused.

He writes negative spin in a 1 newspaper town. He's the clown. The 'outcast'. The 'critic'.

Has anyone seen a consecutive string of Sullivan articles or comments about either the Bills or Sabres that has been positive?

And not that he should be writing about all sunshine and butterflies, either....but constantly begrudging teams while offering little in way of anything positive is just as bad.

Edited by Red

Exactly.

Jerry Sullivan is a hack writer who likes to yell 'fire' in a crowded movie theatre and then stands to wait to see the commotion that he caused.

He writes negative spin in a 1 newspaper town. He's the clown. The 'outcast'. The 'critic'.

Has anyone seen a consecutive string of Sullivan articles or comments about either the Bills or Sabres that has been positive?

And not that he should be writing about all sunshine and butterflies, either....but constantly begrudging teams while offering little in way of anything positive is just as bad.

I can't believe I'm about to do this ...

But ... has Sullivan been wrong in anything he's reporting on the Bills? This team has been below average for over a DECADE. A DECADE. We're fans, we don't know any better than to keep rooting for our team. Even when they're awful, which has been the case for the past decade.

Want to know why people get upset at Sully? Because his articles hit close to home. The truth always hurts, especially when people don't want to admit that it IS the truth.

This team has one of, if not the worst LB corps in the league. That's a fact. This team also has the league's worst WR corps (at the very least, the least experienced WR corps). We're also lacking any semblance of talent at OT, DE and QB. We also have a suspect GM, a meddling owner, and a recycled coach.

So you can say that he's just saying things to be controversial or to be a hater. But that's just not true. If he was reporting that this team is on it's way up, THAT would be a lie. This team is rebuilding (for the 3rd time in 10 years) and has a long ways to go before they are a relevant NFL franchise again.

Doesn't mean we as fans can't be optimistic, but to get upset at a journalist for reporting the current state of the franchise is just crazy.

Just read another article about LB's in our division and rate ours the worst in the East. I look at the Pats with Mayo and now Spikes. We are woefully outmatched at LB. But there's a slight chance this crew of out of position, learning on the fly misfits may gel and have a better season than expected. Hey if your expected to suck but play ok then you're ahead right? Injury is the key. If they can stay healthy we have a chance to not suck. I think Poz, Veek, AD, CK, and Torbor/Maybe could at least not hurt us too bad if healthy. Always a chance they prove people wrong and become a force. But Sully and the rest of them are right to be so down on the crew given all the factors on the team and compared to the rest of the league.

What has Spikes ever proven at the NFL level?

I wonder what our team would look like if Sullivan was GM...

Oh wait - that's why he's a journalist for the Buffalo Bills :wallbash:

He's a journalist for the Buffalo Bills? :blink:

If anything, most of the time he's a journalist against the Bills.

But ... has Sullivan been wrong in anything he's reporting on the Bills? This team has been below average for over a DECADE. A DECADE. We're fans, we don't know any better than to keep rooting for our team. Even when they're awful, which has been the case for the past decade.

Want to know why people get upset at Sully? Because his articles hit close to home. The truth always hurts, especially when people don't want to admit that it IS the truth.

This team has one of, if not the worst LB corps in the league. That's a fact. This team also has the league's worst WR corps (at the very least, the least experienced WR corps). We're also lacking any semblance of talent at OT, DE and QB. We also have a suspect GM, a meddling owner, and a recycled coach.

So you can say that he's just saying things to be controversial or to be a hater. But that's just not true. If he was reporting that this team is on it's way up, THAT would be a lie. This team is rebuilding (for the 3rd time in 10 years) and has a long ways to go before they are a relevant NFL franchise again.

Doesn't mean we as fans can't be optimistic, but to get upset at a journalist for reporting the current state of the franchise is just crazy.

Whether Sullivan is right or wrong is immaterial. IMO, he selects things that are obviously a problem and then he injects his own special brand of feces to the subject. His pieces are indigestion inducing purely from the amount of venom that they are laden with. I don't know about anyone else, but I can name no other columnist whose work can put me in a bad mood purely from the tone it's written in, regardless of the point it's making. When I interact with someone who is overly negative or spiteful for no reason I can leave the interaction feeling, for lack of a better word, pissy, and his writing does that to me... usually within the first three sentences.

I lost whatever shred of respect i had left for Jerry Sullivan when all he cared about at the Gailey press conference hiring was trying to insinuate that nobody else in the country wanted the job. That was more important to him than any philosophy questions or assistant coach hiring questions or normal things a decent reporter would have prepared for a new GM/ head coach hiring presser.

He's a joke. Warren Buffett, whose firm owns the Buffalo News said the paper should be shut down and the only reason he is keeping it alive (it makes no financial sense) is that he feels it's an important part of the community. With guys like Sully on the payroll droning on and on about doom and gloom everyday he's shooting his own paper in the foot.

When Buffett croaks and they close the News I'd love to see where Sully is gonna get his next paycheck. "Uh would you like fries with that?"

If I'm not mistaken, QB, OT, and DE are the three most important positions on a football team. I think they are the three highest paid (although CBs may sneak in there somewhere for some unknown reason) so others think they are the most important. LBs are also pretty important. If we have no talent at the top three most important positions, plus LB and WR are perhaps the worst, it's almost impossible to argue that we are not the worst team in the league. How is it possible we are not, under those circumstances, especially with a recycled coach?

Wanna bet we don't finish with one of the three worst records in the league, even in one of its toughest divisions with surely one of its hardest schedules?

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

If I'm not mistaken, QB, OT, and DE are the three most important positions on a football team. I think they are the three highest paid (although CBs may sneak in there somewhere for some unknown reason) so others think they are the most important. LBs are also pretty important. If we have no talent at the top three most important positions, plus LB and WR are perhaps the worst, it's almost impossible to argue that we are not the worst team in the league. How is it possible we are not, under those circumstances, especially with a recycled coach?

Wanna bet we don't finish with one of the three worst records in the league, even in one of its toughest divisions with surely one of its hardest schedules?

Well I don't want to BET on the Bills to lose ... I don't want to bet on them to win much this year either.

I don't think they'll finish last in the league. I do think they'll finish right in the middle bottom. Not low enough to get the franchise QB they desperately need but not high enough to be considered a serious wild card contender.

And to me, that kind of repeated finish (which is what it has been for a decade) is far worse than finishing 1-15. We're not even good enough at being bad to be relevant. :devil:

Well I don't want to BET on the Bills to lose ... I don't want to bet on them to win much this year either.

I don't think they'll finish last in the league. I do think they'll finish right in the middle bottom. Not low enough to get the franchise QB they desperately need but not high enough to be considered a serious wild card contender.

And to me, that kind of repeated finish (which is what it has been for a decade) is far worse than finishing 1-15. We're not even good enough at being bad to be relevant. :devil:

Baby. :nana:

This will be a tough year, no doubt. I'm not sure the win-loss record will tell us a whole lot about how good the team may be next year in v.2 of the Nix/Gailey/Whaley regime. We could be an entirely crappy 5-11 team going nowhere and we could be a pretty damn decent 5-11 team with a great chance of making the playoffs in 2011. I agree the repeated kind of finish blows to no end. But I think there is some good stuff to this team that I didn't see at all at the end of last year.

And, of course, you're gonna eating your words about four games into the season about how bad the Spiller pick was. ;)

But ... has Sullivan been wrong in anything he's reporting on the Bills?

Well I recall he was frothing over Tom Donahoe and the Mike Williams pick in 2004. Then about 2 years later he hammered TD for making the worst pick ever. Weathervanes also tell you which way the wind is blowing at that moment.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

And, of course, you're gonna eating your words about four games into the season about how bad the Spiller pick was. ;)

Okay, in the spirit of fair play (not Johnny), tell you what. A shot of Crown for every half the Bills are either up or down. You take the up I'll take the down.

How's that?

And as for Spiller, I already am. :bag:

Okay, in the spirit of fair play (not Johnny), tell you what. A shot of Crown for every half the Bills are either up or down. You take the up I'll take the down.

How's that?

And as for Spiller, I already am. :bag:

I do that anyway. Jill and I do shots of crown every TD the Bills score. And when they don't score for awhile, we say stuff like, "Remember that TD Roland Hooks scored against the Patriots in '79, we never drank to that one!" and then do one.

But you're on.

I always read his articles... But It seems as of late he gets his cheerios pissed in and can not seem to say anything positive about the Bills. He may not be drinking the coolaid but he does not even sip it... I still read his troll paper...

I was wondering when someone was going to comment on our LB's. During the Colt game I noticed on the first series how everyone went right at Poz. Manning to Addai in which Poz was beaten badly. Manning to his TE in which Poz laid a hit on him only to have the TE run through him and the Addai TD run in which he broke an attempted leg tackle from Poz. Mitchell replaced Poz soon after. Other teams know where our real weaknesses are and they go right after it. The 3-4 exposes weak LB's.

Lets not fool ourselves as much as Sullivan may get on your nerves he called this one dead on. I think Mitchell is solid but not spectacular but he certainly does not deserve to ride the bench behind Poz.

Davis seem to be a solid hitter so far and understands the system. Maybin isn't ready but he does have some potential in a Penn St type of way. Give him another year he is a project certainly not a first rounder but thats what we are stuck with. Torbor and Davis will be the LB's that deliver for us this year.

Scary.

I love Biscuit but he is close to the same player without Bruce? D line, especially in a 3-4, do the dirty work while lbs get the glory.

Conversely, he was part of the reason why they couldn't put more blockers on Bruce. You know that Wright, Lodish, Hansen, and Seals were not really dangerous pass rushers, which left it on Bruce and Biscuit for the most part. Not to mention that both Bennett and Bruce were more than capable against the run which force most runs to the inside.

I do that anyway. Jill and I do shots of crown every TD the Bills score. And when they don't score for awhile, we say stuff like, "Remember that TD Roland Hooks scored against the Patriots in '79, we never drank to that one!" and then do one.

I was there. (Hic) :beer: Sat at the opposite endzone because it was in the sun, warmer. #25 won that game for us.

(Edit to add) Fergy helped a bit, too.

Edited by ConradDobler