Ralph Wilson Is A Genius

Yes it did. Spiller broke one for an extremely exciting TD. My money says he will do it again before the season starts, and ticket sales will increase. There is much good in this. I want the Bills to stay in WNY, and they will not if there is no profit in doing so.

That said, they still need a LT, RT, QB, and DEs that can rush the passer before they can win enough games to make the playoffs. Still, Mr. Wilson told the truth. He talked about making the team "exciting" around draft time and did just that. And, it will translate itself into bigger profits.

This post is NOT meant to be sarcastic. I admire Mr. Wilson. He is to be admired for being a financial success, and I respect the fact that he defended our great country. The man kept the only NFL Team I care about in WNY and I am truly grateful for this. And, I am happier to have Spiller than another dumbass pick ala Whitner or McKelvin.

Here's to the hope that next year, the Bills will select players who can enhance the abilities of Spiller and make the Bills a viable, strong contending NFL team! :thumbsup:

Meanwhile, congrats Mr. Wilson on selecting a very talented player. And congrats to us loyal fans who got a rare and well deserved victory last night.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it did. Spiller broke one for an extremely exciting TD. My money says he will do it again before the season starts, and ticket sales will increase. There is much good in this. I want the Bills to stay in WNY, and they will not if there is no profit in doing so.

That said, they still need a LT, RT, QB, and DEs that can rush the passer before they can win enough games to make the playoffs. Still, Mr. Wilson told the truth. He talked about making the team "exciting" around draft time and did just that. And, it will translate itself into bigger profits.

This post is NOT meant to be sarcastic. I admire Mr. Wilson. He is to be admired for being a financial success, and I respect the fact that he defended our great country. The man kept the only NFL Team I care about in WNY and I am truly grateful for this. And, I am happier to have Spiller than another dumbass pick ala Whitner or McKelvin.

Here's to the hope that next year, the Bills will select players who can enhance the abilities of Spiller and make the Bills a viable, strong contending NFL team! :thumbsup:

Meanwhile, congrats Mr. Wilson on selecting a very talented player. And congrats to us loyal fans who got a rare and well deserved victory last night.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quote]

Someone is pumped up! I like the Spiller pick also. He has a high potential of becoming a perennial pro-bowl RB. You can't pass that up in the draft, a RB like him is not around every year. Now, the Bills need to build a line for him to run behind, and find a QB, etc.[/

This post is NOT meant to be sarcastic. I admire Mr. Wilson. He is to be admired for being a financial success, and I respect the fact that he defended our great country. The man kept the only NFL Team I care about in WNY and I am truly grateful for this. And, I am happier to have Spiller than another dumbass pick a la Whitner. or McKelvin.

Fixed.

Rome wasn't rebuilt in a day. I think when you have the ninth pick in the draft you pick the best player available instead of reaching for a need (Whitner) and for the first time in awhile, that's what the BILLS did.

I can't think of a single true 34 DE not named Bruce Smith who was an outstanding pass rusher. Maybe Leonard Marshall? That's really not the role. The pass rush comes more from the scheme than anything. It would be nice if Batten or Moats develops into that tweener rusher who can bring pressure from any angle in obvious passing situations but they're certainly not ready at this time.

I haven't gotten a chance to watch this game (outside of highlights) but I've been heartened by what I've seen from the sidelines, which was truly the team's biggest weakness the last few seasons.

Bill, you know I respect your opinion, and I am delighted to see you feeling so positive, but I think you should re-think the original assumption that there is a zero-sum relation between excitement as something purely financial and superficial on the one side and real improvement as a team on the other. The Bills still have all those needs you mention, but exciting playmakers on offense was a need as well. Excitement does not only sell tickets, but improves team morale (both long term and within a game), and also has the potential to make the Bills a more attractive team to future draft picks and free agents. I will not get too giddy about a preseason game, but I sure do feel a lot better today than I did after the 'Skins game, as you do.

Onward and upward!

Sometimes an action can be over analyzed when the analysis can be very brief. Spiller was simply the best player on the board, and he filled one of our many critical needs (playmaker). There is no need to rack one's brain for a deeper meaning when the meaning is right there in front staring one in the face.

Is it possible that the very aged owner commented to his new regime ths team is very boring and lacks playmakers? It is probably so. The owner's sensation is the same sensation of all the fans who attend the games and watch the games. The team is very boring and the product needs to be spiced up.

You give the owner credit for selecting Spiller. The owner didn't. The owner selected Nix who then selected Spiller, the player on his board with the highest ranking. What Nix is attempting to do (at least I believe so) is to not make expedient short term decisions with a patch work mentality. Nix/Whaley are trying to run a professional operation by consistently making sound football decisions. In the long run doing the right thing on a daily basis will work out the best. One step forward and another step back approach is not going to cut it any longer. Nix worked with Polian and he worked with Butler/A.J. Smith. There is nothing genius about their philosophy and approach. Build the roster primarily through the draft and don't reach out of need.

As you smartly noted it is going to take time. This is a multiple year process. When Nix took over one of his first comments was that to have success in the league you have to acquire talent and then keep that talent. How many quality players have the Bills let go in their second contracts? There is nothing innovative about his remarks on keeping your own players on the roster instead of pursuing player's from other teams. He was stating a concept which most successful teams follow.

In my view steadily moving forward is better than constantly moving in a herky jerk direction. If that is what the Bills organization is doing I will be more than satisfied. The shame of the team's plight is that the Levy/Brandon stint wasted valuable time. That era is done. Now is the time to look ahead and not back.

Admittedly I was sleepy when the game started...didn't even make it to the half :worthy: but on the pass plays it looked to me like Bell did OK against Freeney. Anyone else think the same?

The major issue I have with the original post is, Ralph Wilson didn't pick Spiller. He signed off on the pick, I'm sure. But the idea that Ralph was responsible for the choice is folly beyond belief.

I can't believe you don't realize this yet, but maybe you can't see it: You are so amazingly tiresome with your one-note whining and crackpot theories on why Spiller was drafted. Anyone reading one of your posts can know exactly what it will say before reading it.

Should have drafted an OT.

Ralph made them draft Spiller to sell tickets.

Defensive backs should never be drafted high.

and then you try to compensate for your incessant kvetching at the end with your "GO BILLS!"

...Sorry to go off on you, but it really gets on my nerves after a while.

I can't believe you don't realize this yet, but maybe you can't see it: You are so amazingly tiresome with your one-note whining and crackpot theories on why Spiller was drafted. Anyone reading one of your posts can know exactly what it will say before reading it.

and then you try to compensate for your incessant kvetching at the end with your "GO BILLS!"

Come on now! Nothing wrong with being excited about last nights performance! Spiller looked great, in fact he reminds me of a young LaDanian Tomlinson. The Chargers succesful run in the 2000's started when they drafted LT. He was the first important piece they aquired when building a winner. The rest of the puzzle came together afterwards with some smart drafting an dlucky breaks. Nix was involved in that building process. Perhaps they are replicating that blueprint in WNY. Not a bad blueprint.....SD has been solid 9 straight years and counting. GO BILLS!!!!

Come on now! Nothing wrong with being excited about last nights performance! Spiller looked great, in fact he reminds me of a young LaDanian Tomlinson. The Chargers succesful run in the 2000's started when they drafted LT. He was the first important piece they aquired when building a winner. The rest of the puzzle came together afterwards with some smart drafting an dlucky breaks. Nix was involved in that building process. Perhaps they are replicating that blueprint in WNY. Not a bad blueprint.....SD has been solid 9 straight years and counting. GO BILLS!!!!

After 2 games Spiller, who admittedly was exciting, reminds you of Tomlinson? Bit early for that isn't it?

Besides, it wasn't until 2004 when the Chargers became a playoff team. Their rebuild comprised 3 seasons and 4 off-seasons.

SD went 5-11 in 2001, 8-8 in 2002, and 4-12 in 2003 before going 12-4 in 2004. Rebuilds take time, even when taking HOF RB's with their first pick.

Besides, it wasn't until 2004 when the Chargers became a playoff team. Their rebuild comprised 3 seasons and 4 off-seasons.

SD went 5-11 in 2001, 8-8 in 2002, and 4-12 in 2003 before going 12-4 in 2004. Rebuilds take time, even when taking HOF RB's with their first pick.

You are absolutely right. Re-building does takes time. Un-doing the damage done by the previous regimes adds even more time to the process. Trying to short-circuit the process with expedient moves is in the long run counter productive. If the Bills can replicate the time frame that the Chargers had I would be okay with that. As I stated before the owner wasted three years with the Levy/Brandon era. If the owner would have made a reasonable hire after the Donahoe fiasco the Bills would presently be a more developed team.

After 2 games Spiller, who admittedly was exciting, reminds you of Tomlinson? Bit early for that isn't it?

To be "reminded" of someone? No. Not at all. Someone can remind you of anything in a split second.

Just what gets on your nerves Doc? A Bills fan who enjoyed what he saw last night. One that is positive and realizes that the draft is over. FOR ALL THOSE OUT THERE STILL WISHING AND BITHCHING THERE WILL BE NO FIRST ROUND OFFENSIVE TACKLE THIS YEAR. Please get over this fact. The draft is over................... So be a fan. Have fun with the Bills this year. Or not the choice is yours. Just stop trying to drag those of us down that actually enjoy the Bills. For this is truly getting on my nerves.

Just what gets on your nerves Doc? A Bills fan who enjoyed what he saw last night. One that is positive and realizes that the draft is over. FOR ALL THOSE OUT THERE STILL WISHING AND BITHCHING THERE WILL BE NO FIRST ROUND OFFENSIVE TACKLE THIS YEAR. Please get over this fact. The draft is over................... So be a fan. Have fun with the Bills this year. Or not the choice is yours. Just stop trying to drag those of us down that actually enjoy the Bills. For this is truly getting on my nerves.

Relax cowboy. The original poster was handing out backhanded praise - which is easily seen by those who know his posting history. It was equivalent to telling an arsonist how much you admire their fire-starting capabilities.

What are you talking about? I was very happy the Bills drafted Spiller. Bill in NYC the one who complained it was a lousy choice, that Ralph Wilson made Nix draft Spiller solely in order to sell tickets even though we needed to draft an OT. Bill's repeated harping on this wacky theory (as if no sane GM would draft Spiller in the Bills' situation) is what I was complaining about, not the drafting of Spiller. You should be making this comment to Bill, not me.

I think you have to add WR to the essentials needed by this team in order to be competitive. I was pleased as all get out to see Evans catch a long bomb yesterday, but actually given that he was so wide open and it being the first pre-season game it yelled out to me blown coverage from the opponent not game-planning and practicing as a normal opponent would do for the Bills.

The lack of a credible #2 WR who does not at least attract some attention away from Evans means to me in the regular season he is gonna gets dt'ed with impunity and the short coverage guy will be in his face and the deep guy will be backing him up so plays like this one will be few and far between.

The thing which bummed me out most about the Jackson/Lynch injuries was that I had hoped that the Bills envisioned Spiller as getting ample use as a wideout as I think he clearly has great speed and freakish moves (as seen yesterday) that simply would force an opposing DC to double him if he lined up wide.

If this happened, the opposing DC would actually simply be forced into playing a zone and Lynch/Jackson would get this to run against rather than 7-8 players in the box formation they will have to run through this season unless we have a #2 WR that demands some attention. In fact, if the Bills ran a 3 WR set with Roscoe. Spiller, and Evans I think the opposing DC has got to go with his dime coverage as he seeks to allocate his DBs in a manner where all three Bills WRs credibly could demand to have the fastest CB the opponents have covering them.

As it stands right now, with Easley likely gone for the season, Hardy hobbling (again), Parrish playing much better so far but in the long run he is the slot guy at best, and Jackson impressive on paper but like it or not he regressed in terms of catches, and yardage last year (simply not the result very good receivers produce), I think we have a pretty substantial need at #2 WR. Particularly with our troubled OL and QB situation this WR gap strikes me as huge.