Ralph Wilson Is A Genius

What are you talking about? I was very happy the Bills drafted Spiller. Bill in NYC the one who complained it was a lousy choice, that Ralph Wilson made Nix draft Spiller solely in order to sell tickets even though we needed to draft an OT. Bill's repeated harping on this wacky theory (as if no sane GM would draft Spiller in the Bills' situation) is what I was complaining about, not the drafting of Spiller. You should be making this comment to Bill, not me.

You should learn to write better. :thumbsup::w00t:

After 2 games Spiller, who admittedly was exciting, reminds you of Tomlinson? Bit early for that isn't it?

Besides, it wasn't until 2004 when the Chargers became a playoff team. Their rebuild comprised 3 seasons and 4 off-seasons.

SD went 5-11 in 2001, 8-8 in 2002, and 4-12 in 2003 before going 12-4 in 2004. Rebuilds take time, even when taking HOF RB's with their first pick.

We have more talent than those early San Diego teams.

Yes it did. Spiller broke one for an extremely exciting TD. My money says he will do it again before the season starts, and ticket sales will increase. There is much good in this. I want the Bills to stay in WNY, and they will not if there is no profit in doing so.

That said, they still need a LT, RT, QB, and DEs that can rush the passer before they can win enough games to make the playoffs. Still, Mr. Wilson told the truth. He talked about making the team "exciting" around draft time and did just that. And, it will translate itself into bigger profits.

This post is NOT meant to be sarcastic. I admire Mr. Wilson. He is to be admired for being a financial success, and I respect the fact that he defended our great country. The man kept the only NFL Team I care about in WNY and I am truly grateful for this. And, I am happier to have Spiller than another dumbass pick ala Whitner or McKelvin.

Here's to the hope that next year, the Bills will select players who can enhance the abilities of Spiller and make the Bills a viable, strong contending NFL team! :thumbsup:

Meanwhile, congrats Mr. Wilson on selecting a very talented player. And congrats to us loyal fans who got a rare and well deserved victory last night.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should really thank Jeff Littmann. He's one of the premier up-and-coming financial minds in the country right now - and it goe sbeyond what he has done with the Bills.

I can't believe you don't realize this yet, but maybe you can't see it: You are so amazingly tiresome with your one-note whining and crackpot theories on why Spiller was drafted. Anyone reading one of your posts can know exactly what it will say before reading it.

Should have drafted an OT.

Ralph made them draft Spiller to sell tickets.

Defensive backs should never be drafted high.

and then you try to compensate for your incessant kvetching at the end with your "GO BILLS!"

...Sorry to go off on you, but it really gets on my nerves after a while.

In fairness to Bill, the offensive line has been neglected ever since Bill Polian was fired (back in the early '90s). Under John Butler, the Bills used just one first round pick on the OL (Ruben Brown), and no second round picks. Same thing under TD--and it didn't help that TD's first round OL pick was Mike Williams. Levy didn't use any first or second round picks on offensive linemen at all.

At some point, a guy like Bill gets tired of watching his team's quarterbacks get concussions, chipped teeth, and other injuries. It's also easy to get tired of seeing the offense relegated to dump-off passes due to the lack of time to go deep.

What Bill and many other fans need to see is that the current front office will place a high priority on the OL during the draft. (And I'm not talking about using some fifth round pick for Wang, either.) If we add good, solid talent at the tackle positions, move Wood to center, and add a good OG, I think that would do a ton to reassure guys like Bill that the front office gets it. Bill isn't the only guy who needs to be reassured: I think that a good OL would be strongly appreciated by Edwards, or whoever the Bills' starting QB turns out to be.

This is not to suggest that I agree with Bill about the Spiller pick. At first I hated the thought of another running back. But if Spiller had a significantly higher grade than the other players available when they picked--as I believe he did--it's hard to pass him up. Especially when this team desperately needs guys in the "game changer" category, regardless of position.

Offensive line is and remains one of this team's very top needs. With a good offensive line, the quarterback could have time to throw, which would open up Evans for more deep passing plays. The running game would be improved both because of the better run-blocking, and because opponents would be forced to show more respect for the Bills' passing game. Quarterbacks would have more confidence and fewer concussions. There could be more receiving threats, instead of keeping guys in to block. We would no longer be helpless against 3-4 defenses, because the center would be able to hold his own against their nose tackle. It is no exaggeration to say that improvement at just three OL positions--LT, RT, and C--would transform the entire offense. That is why I want to see the Bills' front office address the OL with early draft picks, beginning with the 2011 draft.

At the same time, I don't want to see the Bills reach for need--either at OL or at any other position. Reaching for need is what got us Donte Whitner and John McCargo. (Not that Whitner is a bad player; but he's never going to come close to justifying that 8th overall pick.)

In fairness to Bill, the offensive line has been neglected ever since Bill Polian was fired (back in the early '90s). Under John Butler, the Bills used just one first round pick on the OL (Ruben Brown), and no second round picks. Same thing under TD--and it didn't help that TD's first round OL pick was Mike Williams. Levy didn't use any first or second round picks on offensive linemen at all.

At some point, a guy like Bill gets tired of watching his team's quarterbacks get concussions, chipped teeth, and other injuries. It's also easy to get tired of seeing the offense relegated to dump-off passes due to the lack of time to go deep.

What Bill and many other fans need to see is that the current front office will place a high priority on the OL during the draft. (And I'm not talking about using some fifth round pick for Wang, either.) If we add good, solid talent at the tackle positions, move Wood to center, and add a good OG, I think that would do a ton to reassure guys like Bill that the front office gets it. Bill isn't the only guy who needs to be reassured: I think that a good OL would be strongly appreciated by Edwards, or whoever the Bills' starting QB turns out to be.

This is not to suggest that I agree with Bill about the Spiller pick. At first I hated the thought of another running back. But if Spiller had a significantly higher grade than the other players available when they picked--as I believe he did--it's hard to pass him up. Especially when this team desperately needs guys in the "game changer" category, regardless of position.

Offensive line is and remains one of this team's very top needs. With a good offensive line, the quarterback could have time to throw, which would open up Evans for more deep passing plays. The running game would be improved both because of the better run-blocking, and because opponents would be forced to show more respect for the Bills' passing game. Quarterbacks would have more confidence and fewer concussions. There could be more receiving threats, instead of keeping guys in to block. We would no longer be helpless against 3-4 defenses, because the center would be able to hold his own against their nose tackle. It is no exaggeration to say that improvement at just three OL positions--LT, RT, and C--would transform the entire offense. That is why I want to see the Bills' front office address the OL with early draft picks, beginning with the 2011 draft.

At the same time, I don't want to see the Bills reach for need--either at OL or at any other position. Reaching for need is what got us Donte Whitner and John McCargo. (Not that Whitner is a bad player; but he's never going to come close to justifying that 8th overall pick.)

Well said, and I take your point. But anybody who's been paying attention knows this. And Bill never stops harping on it. Even in this OP, where he seems to be praising Spiller, he's still complaining. It is the definition of tiresome.

ROFLMAO. And right on cue with what Bill is saying, despite already having season tickets, I get an email from Ole Russie Boy, asking me if I Billieve, and rides Spiller's coattails from last night. States the email:

"CJ Spiller always believed he'd make it to the NFL. Just like Bills fans believe in the exciting potential of a new season (I don't). So make sure you are there to see it."

With Spillers picture draped across the email from last nights game with the Colts.

LOL. Good call NYC, you seemed to make your point right on time.

ROFLMAO. And right on cue with what Bill is saying, despite already having season tickets, I get an email from Ole Russie Boy, asking me if I Billieve, and rides Spiller's coattails from last night. States the email:

"CJ Spiller always believed he'd make it to the NFL. Just like Bills fans believe in the exciting potential of a new season (I don't). So make sure you are there to see it."

With Spillers picture draped across the email from last nights game with the Colts.

LOL. Good call NYC, you seemed to make your point right on time.

Boy oh boy. ST sales must be low if they're moving this quickly to hype their new RB's on-field accomplishments. It smacks of desperation from a franchise that's been low on good moves these past 5 offseasons.

Yes it did. Spiller broke one for an extremely exciting TD. My money says he will do it again before the season starts, and ticket sales will increase. There is much good in this. I want the Bills to stay in WNY, and they will not if there is no profit in doing so.

That said, they still need a LT, RT, QB, and DEs that can rush the passer before they can win enough games to make the playoffs. Still, Mr. Wilson told the truth. He talked about making the team "exciting" around draft time and did just that. And, it will translate itself into bigger profits.

This post is NOT meant to be sarcastic. I admire Mr. Wilson. He is to be admired for being a financial success, and I respect the fact that he defended our great country. The man kept the only NFL Team I care about in WNY and I am truly grateful for this. And, I am happier to have Spiller than another dumbass pick ala Whitner or McKelvin.

Here's to the hope that next year, the Bills will select players who can enhance the abilities of Spiller and make the Bills a viable, strong contending NFL team! :thumbsup:

Meanwhile, congrats Mr. Wilson on selecting a very talented player. And congrats to us loyal fans who got a rare and well deserved victory last night.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose if you're drafting at 9, and the running back sitting there looks like a once-in-a-generation talent, you take him. But I have a hard time believing that will be the case. As always, I hope I am wrong about this clusterfugg of an NFL team, but how many years in a row do we have suck before a 40-year fan is not completely justified in expecting the worst? I thinki am more than justified to call this a STUPID pick until proven otherwise. Because those of us who know our front office is a joke and our owner is beyond inept keeping being proved right.

You're right Bill, Ralph is a genius. He's wheels out his industrial strength 55-gallon drum of turd polish every year and like magic the stadium fills up (of course I say this after having ponied up for Sunday Ticket for the first time ever- so I guess I am part of the problem).

I mean, I know it is one hell of a party out there in Orchard Park 7 times a year (and before I forget, F.U. Ralph for selling off a home game to a bunch of people who couldn't care less about the Bills...more than anything else, I'll never forgive you for that), but is it really worth being bent over again and again by this miserly old coot? Cause you know where this season is going, whether Spiller is a star or not.

Lightning struck this franchise once when Ralph accidentally hired a few guys who knew what they were doing about 25 years ago. Should we really expect anything better than a handful of wins from this bunch? I am still expecting one win. If we can go a few weeks at the start of the season without too many injuries, we might win three. Come back and give me hell, Promo Style, if I am wrong.

Well said, and I take your point. But anybody who's been paying attention knows this. And Bill never stops harping on it. Even in this OP, where he seems to be praising Spiller, he's still complaining. It is the definition of tiresome.

I agree he can be . . . a bit focused on his main themes.

But he's still a keen observer of football, and I enjoy reading what he has to write.

As for his original post in this thread--I think he made a valid point. I'm not saying I agree with the premise that Spiller was selected just to sell tickets. But I think a strong argument could be made that ticket sales were a key factor in the TO signing. Which means that the possibility should also be considered for the drafting of Spiller.

I personally think that selling tickets was a lot lower of a factor in drafting Spiller than the front office's desire for the best player available, as well as Gailey's desire for a "waterbug" back to fit his offense. Maybe someone thought that the extra ticket sales would be nice too. But if so, I think that factor was a distant third in their list of reasons why Spiller was chosen.

But that's just my opinion, and I don't claim to be infallible here. Nor do I have any special insight into what the front office is thinking. In the absence of additional information, I'm not going to simply dismiss Bill's opinion out of hand. Especially not when just a year ago, the Bills signed T.O. with the seeming intention of increasing ticket sales.

I can't believe you don't realize this yet, but maybe you can't see it: You are so amazingly tiresome with your one-note whining and crackpot theories on why Spiller was drafted. Anyone reading one of your posts can know exactly what it will say before reading it.

Should have drafted an OT.

Ralph made them draft Spiller to sell tickets.

Defensive backs should never be drafted high.

and then you try to compensate for your incessant kvetching at the end with your "GO BILLS!"

...Sorry to go off on you, but it really gets on my nerves after a while.

+1

Great post!

Sorry to cause you so much nervous frustration. Hope ya feel better soon. :thumbsup:

There are police stores in NYC that sell flack jackets. Get the highest rated one! Once you get labeled as a "troll" you are in serious jeopardy. LOL :w00t:

There are police stores in NYC that sell flack jackets. Get the highest rated one! Once you get labeled as a "troll" you are in serious jeopardy. LOL :devil:

Bill will never be labeled a "troll" here. At least not if I have anything to say about it. (Come to think of it, I don't.) Bill has been here too long, has bled too much blue Bills' blood rooting for this team for too many years. But we all are occasionally guilty of seeing/interpreting events in a way that supports our preconceived notions. (Well at least most of us are guilty.)

But I have to say this latest issue is fairly incomprehensible to me. Now Ralph is the guy who makes the 1st round draft picks, and does so solely with the idea of selling tickets? (If so, does that let Levy off your hook, Bill?) Ralph picked Donte Whitner to sell tickets? Ralph picked a relatively unknown WR out of Wisconsin to sell tickets? Ralph picked Maybin to sell tickets? WTF? Ralph must be the stupidest mofo around. There are plenty of players available who would be bigger box office draws than any of these guys.

Even Spiller would be an unlikely pick if your intention was to stir up fan interest and sell tickets. As was mentioned Tebow would have been a far better PR pick. Even Clausen would have drawn more interest from Buffalo area fans, IMO.

I think it's borderline insanity to think that A. Ralph makes the draft picks (with the exception for the very occasional mid-to-late round guy who he has taken a shine to). and B. That he picked Spiller to sell tickets.

Bill will never be labeled a "troll" here. At least not if I have anything to say about it. (Come to think of it, I don't.) Bill has been here too long, has bled too much blue Bills' blood rooting for this team for too many years. But we all are occasionally guilty of seeing/interpreting events in a way that supports our preconceived notions. (Well at least most of us are guilty.)

But I have to say this latest issue is fairly incomprehensible to me. Now Ralph is the guy who makes the 1st round draft picks, and does so solely with the idea of selling tickets? (If so, does that let Levy off your hook, Bill?) Ralph picked Donte Whitner to sell tickets? Ralph picked a relatively unknown WR out of Wisconsin to sell tickets? Ralph picked Maybin to sell tickets? WTF? Ralph must be the stupidest mofo around. There are plenty of players available who would be bigger box office draws than any of these guys.

Even Spiller would be an unlikely pick if your intention was to stir up fan interest and sell tickets. As was mentioned Tebow would have been a far better PR pick. Even Clausen would have drawn more interest from Buffalo area fans, IMO.

I think it's borderline insanity to think that A. Ralph makes the draft picks (with the exception for the very occasional mid-to-late round guy who he has taken a shine to). and B. That he picked Spiller to sell tickets.

Thanks Brian and your points about Whitner, McCargo, etc. are well taken.

Imo Mr. Wilson placed a great deal of trust in Marv, and pretty much left him to his own devices. Then, after 4 years of Levy Jauron, he looked down from the owners box and saw a small, weak, boring team. The Levy/Jauron philosophy DID produce a boring team. This imo is almost beyond dispute.

As for picking Tebow over Spiller to generate excitement, maybe, maybe not imo. OJ, a running back, was probably the most exciting Bill ever, no? This is what Ralph has seen and knows.

Most importantly, this is all pure speculation on my part. And, the team certainly does need some "excitement." :( I will be up at RWS in October, and I sure hope that Spiller breaks a couple of long ones. :devil:

Imo Mr. Wilson placed a great deal of trust in Marv, and pretty much left him to his own devices. Then, after 4 years of Levy Jauron, he looked down from the owners box and saw a small, weak, boring team. The Levy/Jauron philosophy DID produce a boring team. This imo is almost beyond dispute.

The Bills have been under the ownership of Ralph Wilson for half a century. With the exception of the Polian era and a short stint under the Saban era the Bills were a boring and losing team. There is nothing unique about the tarnished Levy/Jauron legacy. It was mostly a continuation of the same low standard. What's new?

The Bills have been under the ownership of Ralph Wilson for half a century. With the exception of the Polian era and a short stint under the Saban era the Bills were a boring and losing team. There is nothing unique about the tarnished Levy/Jauron legacy. It was mostly a continuation of the same low standard. What's new?

IMO, the only two years the Bills were the best team in the entire NFL were the first Super Bowl year, and 1980 under Chuck Knox. They had a couple excellent teams under Knox.