Gailey already blaming O-Line

I was just waiting for this excuse. I knew it was coming and now that he said it confirms my belief that Nix seriously screwed up this offseason by not addressing the O-Line. Gailey says in an article from Chris Brown yesterday that: a QB can't throw downfield while he's scrambling for his life or lying on his back, we got to protect better (paraphrasing).

They are already using the poor oline as an excuse for Trent's failure to throw past 4 yards. I know we played w/o some starters on the oline Friday night but doubt Cornhole Green would do much better. The fact that Nix did nothing to shore up our oline this past offseason will kill this team, something I've been saying since the draft ended . The Bills have alot of money to spend, no cap, no Schobel, small payroll; would it kill them to bring in a Flozell-Jamal Brown-Marcus Mcneil etc.

Damit Ralph spend some money and get us some NFL tackles! Nix get out of bed before noon, put down the Metamucil, pick up the rotary dial phone and do something-Oh Yeah it's too late for this year so go back to bed.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just waiting for this excuse. I knew it was coming and now that he said it confirms my belief that Nix seriously screwed up this offseason by not addressing the O-Line. Gailey says in an article from Chris Brown yesterday that: a QB can't throw downfield while he's scrambling for his life or lying on his back, we got to protect better (paraphrasing).

They are already using the poor oline as an excuse for Trent's failure to throw past 4 yards. I know we played w/o some starters on the oline Friday night but doubt Cornhole Green would do much better. The fact that Nix did nothing to shore up our oline this past offseason will kill this team, something I've been saying since the draft ended . The Bills have alot of money to spend, no cap, no Schobel, small payroll; would it kill them to bring in a Flozell-Jamal Brown-Marcus Mcneil etc.

Damit Ralph spend some money and get us some NFL tackles! Nix get out of bed before noon, put down the Metamucil, pick up the rotary dial phone and do something-Oh Yeah it's too late for this year so go back to bed.

That quotation was taken from shortly after Gailey was hired.

Gailey/Nix have no one to blame but themselves. Even if that quote is from months ago, they knew full well we needed OL and QB help above all else. They neglected both and took a huge gamble on the luxury pick Spiller above a potential franchise Qb and/or building the OL. They passed on Clausen and more quality OL prospects in round 2 also (at least Troup was a need fill). To argue that there "was no value at OL/QB" at our picks of 9 and 42 is assinine.

Now their beds are made and they will have to sleep in them.

Ugh, This team has become such a joke. It's utterly ridiculous to root for this team, when they hire 70 year old GMs and retreads as a HC no one wants. This is gonna be an ugly season. They got no OL or QB. 0-16 might very well happen.

Ugh is right! i see Peyton Manning rushing his throws and he still manages to complete them while taking a hit. Let's scrutinize Aaron Rodgers, Roethlisberger, RIvers, Eli, etc... These guys are scrambling for their lives and still make plays! NO TEAM has a flawless O-line. QB's still have to make plays. I'm not saying the O-line doesn't need to get better but the QB's here give them no help whatsoever.

Not too late to get some help !!! Make some trade.Have a log jam in Defensive Backs!!! Trade Lynch.... Spend some dam money!!!! I agee Do something !!!!

So your saying this quotation from this article was taken months ago, because If so, there's no indication what so ever of that being the case in the article.( which is a bit misleading )

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/sports/3406941/story.html

I agree it's unclear. He said it when he was hired, it's possible he repeated it again recently.

Ugh, This team has become such a joke. It's utterly ridiculous to root for this team, when they hire 70 year old GMs and retreads as a HC no one wants. This is gonna be an ugly season. They got no OL or QB. 0-16 might very well happen.

Whoa Sally, are you ovulating? Have some ginsing tea, a good cry and things will get better.

that came from a great thread...I deemed it more than worthy of acknowledgment...I busted a gut over that one.

You must, absolutely must get your hands on The Oxford Book of Humorous Prose - a Conducted Tour by Frank Muir, Oxford University Press, 1990, ISBN 0-19-214106-6.

I steal material from it on a regular basis.

Guest dog14787
I agree it's unclear. He said it when he was hired, it's possible he repeated it again recently.

I know, I just tried to locate the original quote to see If their identical, I remember him saying something along the same lines not to long after he was brought in.

Lori would have had this question answered before we even asked it

bingo.

Have you been folowing Flozell in Pitt? He came into camp late as he was a late sign and then missed some practice with a minor injury. He played a few series in preseason and didn't look great, but as good as any Bill so far either. I bet you that once the regular season starts he will be at least average which is more than anything we can hope for with our worthless bunch of tackles. He could have started at right tackle or been quality depth at either position. I guess you'd rather see Kirk Chamber instead of Flozell Adams!

Who is getting abused in Pittsburgh.

I'd like to see exactly what this opinion is based upon. I'll say it again: Kirk Chambers or Flozell Adams?

Since out tackles are injury prone and stink once in the game, Kirk ends up with tons of PT. We could still go after Marcus Mcneil a probowl LT, didn't go after Jamal Brown who looked pretty good Friday. My point is we did NOTHING except get Cornholed.

I'd like to see exactly what this opinion is based upon. I'll say it again: Kirk Chambers or Flozell Adams?

Since out tackles are injury prone and stink once in the game, Kirk ends up with tons of PT. We could still go after Marcus Mcneil a probowl LT, didn't go after Jamal Brown who looked pretty good Friday. My point is we did NOTHING except get Cornholed.

I watched Flozell the other day when Pittsburgh played against the Lion he didn't look to bad at all. His man wasn't getting by him. He maintained a good stance. He will do well once he gets into better shape. The Bills didn't do themselves any favors by not adding a player of his ilk.

Oh, stop complaining. According to half the readers and posters here, we have a great owner who has nothing but the best interests of the Buffalo fans at heart. After all, they say, he hasn't left Buffalo for greener pastures. Therefore, he is the best thing since "sliced white bread". Look at all those awful owners who move franchises, they say. You know those like Al Davis, and Art Modell, both Super Bowl winners.

I'm afraid the level of intellectual capacity of most Buffalo fans, at least those who post on this board, is limited to "well, we have a team here, it sucks, but who cares since we have a team, and Mr. Wilson must be a great owner since he hasn't left Buffalo.

Hey geniuses, did it ever occur to you that Mr. Wilson makes millions keeping the team here? Are there better or more loyal fans, than Bills fans (perhaps Chicago Cubs fans)? Where else would he find 70,000 per game to support the junk he puts on the field? Take a long look at Jacksonville. What are their attendance figures like? Furthermore, every competent coach, GM, personnel guy, or scout with ability has left this team, most likely due to money or owner interference.

Good luck dreaming about bringing in competent veteran, OL players.

I was initially very annoyed by the comments from Gailey yesterday in response to the questions of Trent checking down all the time because I viewed them as Chan making excuses for Captain Checkdown. But after thinking about it, seems to be looking at it the right way.

He said that he wants Trent to make the right reads every time.

If Trent checks down because there are no open receiver downfield, it is the right call.

If Trent checks down even with open receivers downfield, it is the wrong call.

If I am taking Chan at his word, I am assuming that Trent is being chastised and corrected for making the wrong reads when he checks down at the wrong time. If he does not get better at making the right read, I am assuming he will lose the #1 job.

I was initially very annoyed by the comments from Gailey yesterday in response to the questions of Trent checking down all the time because I viewed them as Chan making excuses for Captain Checkdown. But after thinking about it, seems to be looking at it the right way.

He said that he wants Trent to make the right reads every time.

If Trent checks down because there are no open receiver downfield, it is the right call.

If Trent checks down even with open receivers downfield, it is the wrong call.

If I am taking Chan at his word, I am assuming that Trent is being chastised and corrected for making the wrong reads when he checks down at the wrong time. If he does not get better at making the right read, I am assuming he will lose the #1 job.

I'm glad Chan is seeing the same things that we criticize the team for. Admission of where the problems lie is the first step to getting them addressed.

I suspect that we are teetering on the edge of the abyss.

With the breakdown of the medieval system, the gods of chaos, lunacy, and bad taste gained ascendancy.

Oh, stop complaining. According to half the readers and posters here, we have a great owner who has nothing but the best interests of the Buffalo fans at heart. After all, they say, he hasn't left Buffalo for greener pastures. Therefore, he is the best thing since "sliced white bread". Look at all those awful owners who move franchises, they say. You know those like Al Davis, and Art Modell, both Super Bowl winners.

I'm afraid the level of intellectual capacity of most Buffalo fans, at least those who post on this board, is limited to "well, we have a team here, it sucks, but who cares since we have a team, and Mr. Wilson must be a great owner since he hasn't left Buffalo.

Hey geniuses, did it ever occur to you that Mr. Wilson makes millions keeping the team here? Are there better or more loyal fans, than Bills fans (perhaps Chicago Cubs fans)? Where else would he find 70,000 per game to support the junk he puts on the field? Take a long look at Jacksonville. What are their attendance figures like? Furthermore, every competent coach, GM, personnel guy, or scout with ability has left this team, most likely due to money or owner interference.

Good luck dreaming about bringing in competent veteran, OL players.

The quote was from yesterday in response to a question as to why Trent didn't throw downfield Friday night against the Skins.

it IS a re-statement of what was said shortly after coach gailey was hired - try to keep up - there is nothing new here - noone is being thrown under the bus/being blamed for anything - don't try and make up stuff that is clearly not there - geez kids these days

I'm glad Chan is seeing the same things that we criticize the team for. Admission of where the problems lie is the first step to getting them addressed.

I agree with your last sentence, but not your first. Here's the quote from Gailey (via Chris Brown):

“No, I’d rather [Trent] make the right read. And I have to give him enough opportunities. If he checks it down, it’s not him, it’s me. If he throws it under four yards every time, we’re not doing the right things to get people open down the field,” said Gailey. ”So I want him to make the right reads and go to the right place. And if we’re not getting people open, then we either have to get different people or we have to create better schemes to get those guys open.”

“Nobody can throw it laying on their back or running around for their life back there. So our protection has to get better.”

Gailey goes out of his way to deflect all blame away from Trent. I understand that he wants to give Trent every opportunity to succeed, and that means propping up his confidence, etc. I get that. But by refusing to acknowledge the very real problems with Trent's game, Gailey just keeps reinforcing them. Implying that Trent has consistently been making the right reads is just nonsense, and I hope Gailey knows it. You can't tell me that a checkdown on 3rd and 13 with no pass rush is the right read.

I think Gailey's attempt to protect Trent by putting the blame on himself (and the O-line) is only going to hurt Trent even more in the long run.

Ugh is right! i see Peyton Manning rushing his throws and he still manages to complete them while taking a hit. Let's scrutinize Aaron Rodgers, Roethlisberger, RIvers, Eli, etc... These guys are scrambling for their lives and still make plays! NO TEAM has a flawless O-line. QB's still have to make plays. I'm not saying the O-line doesn't need to get better but the QB's here give them no help whatsoever.

Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes (past), Vincent Jackson, Antonio Gates, LT (past).

You wanna go a step further and talk about who the Bills have had at WR?

It's blatantly obvious you don't pick a RB when you already have two good one's and you need major OL and WR help. Ask the Dolphins and Jets how to hide bad QB'ing. And let me give you a hint, they didn't address that with RB's.

You would think by this time, maybe we would go and get someone via free agency or the draft, but we have not gone out and have gotten a reliable offensive lineman. Ed Wang in the 5th round I am sure made many happy, but it will take awhile to find out if he is a capable starting tackle in the NFL.

Jammal Brown's hip had him out of the lineup as of a week ago. Adams is not doing all that well in Pittsburgh. McNeil is not available, at least not yet. Gaither is out injured too. Bulaga is in Green Bay playing GUARD. Anthony Davis had serious work ethic issues. So who did you want them to get again? No line is going to be perfect. The QB has to get the ball out and make a play.