You're most depressing movie ever?

PeteBills4ever

They are two very different movies IMO , the one with Keitel is much darker style while the one with Cage that takes place in post-Katrina New-Orleans, while still twisted has a funny side to it with the play of Cage. Cage can be either really good or really bad sometimes, but he's really good in that movie, not a classic but worth seeing...

I see Herzog, not Ferrara. directed the remake.

You are right about Cage. He's been great in movies and he has really stunk a few up.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Affliction was a pretty dark film.

Yep....along with some of the best acting you'll ever see on film.

Maybe I haven't seen these "good" Cage movies...

It is a shame that Cage has made so many crappy movies since winning an Oscar. He really did great stuff early on. Check out "Leaving Las Vegas" and "Birdy"...two of my favorite films.

As for most depressing, I have to echo "Affliction"...and would add "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?"

Ellen Burstyn should have won the Oscar for Best Actress that year. Yet Hollywood, in it's infinite wisdom, chose to give it to Julia Roberts for Erin Brockovich. :devil:

I'm actually related to Ellen Burstyn in a distant cousin kind of way. Met her when I was a kid...before I had an understanding of who she was.

Requiem for a Dream

The last 5-10 minutes was one of the most f-ed up endings I've ever seen.

came in here only to post Requiem for a Dream.

there are a lot of other good, depressing movies mentioned in this thread, but Requiem is the movie that makes you feel like someone just kicked your soul in the crotch. I remember not even being able to get up from my chair when it was over. A really messed up, amazing movie.

I agree. I didn't enjoy that movie at all. I also agree on "The Road" being downbeat but I thought it was well done for what it was. I think Charlize Theron is one of the best actresses out there. Put aside that shes beautiful. To add to the most depressing movie list I think "AI" would be a good nomination. Again I thought it was well done but so sad.

Awakenings with Robert DeNiro and Robin Williams is probably the most depressing movie I've ever seen. True story, too.

Offers a really depressing question-if you were afflicted by that disease, and you had the chance to snap out of it only to know you would eventually revert back, would you want to be anyway? It's one thing to be shut out from the world, but to know that you were back and then slowly lose control again is brutal.

It is a shame that Cage has made so many crappy movies since winning an Oscar. He really did great stuff early on. Check out "Leaving Las Vegas" and "Birdy"...two of my favorite films.

As for most depressing, I have to echo "Affliction"...and would add "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?"

Have you seen Adaptation? Probably Cage's best work to date.