Incompetence! ...oh, NEVERMIND.

(copied from Buffalo Rumblings)

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle is reporting that former Buffalo Bills defensive end Aaron Schobel has decided to retire.

Twitter link:

http://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/21327695498

But, But we should have TRADED him! Nevermind that he has a huge contract and stated many times that he would play for the Bills or retire. No GM (not even Matt Millen) would have traded for someone who was that likely to retire.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle is reporting that former Buffalo Bills defensive end Aaron Schobel has decided to retire.

Twitter link:

But, But we should have TRADED him! Nevermind that he has a huge contract and stated many times that he would play for the Bills or retire. No GM (not even Matt Millen) would have traded for someone who was that likely to retire.

I'm interested in the details of it. I am curious if he tried to hammer out a deal with Houston (or Dallas) and simply couldn't based on any number of factors....(didn't want to play for significantly less money? Wasn't satisfied with his time to get back into the swing of things/learn a new system? Maybe he was honest and didn't want to look bad..)

Or maybe it could be none of the above and he just decided to retire. Either way, good for him and the Bills.

Twitter link:

PFT article specifically calls out a desire to stop dieting to play at 240, and just eat normal at 270

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...retiring-again/

I'm interested in the details of it. I am curious if he tried to hammer out a deal with Houston (or Dallas) and simply couldn't based on any number of factors....(didn't want to play for significantly less money? Wasn't satisfied with his time to get back into the swing of things/learn a new system? Maybe he was honest and didn't want to look bad..)

Or maybe it could be none of the above and he just decided to retire. Either way, good for him and the Bills.

I think his heart just hasn't been in it. Pro football is brutal on the body. He wanted to play for at most one more year, but he's demonstrated that he hasn't really wanted to play this year. It clearly hasn't been about the money since he could have collected a crapload for taking a physical back in March(?) and a lot more if he just mailed in this season.

It's tough to retire from something you're good at and have devoted your life to. I think that if Houston has a rash of injuries at DE in the season he could be coaxed back to play for a few games... But that's just a total guess.

I think his heart just hasn't been in it. Pro football is brutal on the body. He wanted to play for at most one more year, but he's demonstrated that he hasn't really wanted to play this year. It clearly hasn't been about the money since he could have collected a crapload for taking a physical back in March(?) and a lot more if he just mailed in this season.

It's tough to retire from something you're good at and have devoted your life to. I think that if Houston has a rash of injuries at DE in the season he could be coaxed back to play for a few games... But that's just a total guess.

Famous QUote from Marv Levy : "If you think you are going to retire, then you have already retired"......

Caught double-posting in the excitement of trying to be first...only to find that you were 3rd (and 4th). :wallbash:

Double-posting? Didn't notice. I'll check. I checked, though ... when I started writing, nobody else had written anything.

Anyway, all the folks who thought that they screwed up by not being able to trade him are proven wrong. You can't trade a guy who generally wants to retire, or is even genuinely considering it.

Twitter link:

In fairness, he never stated that. He never said he would play for the Bills or retire. He left the door a bit open.

But I never thought Schobel was lying or manipulating us. He's always been a good guy, his own guy, not a leader or much of a talker, but a good guy, and one of the two or so best Bills for years.

In fairness, he never stated that. He never said he would play for the Bills or retire. He left the door a bit open.

Yes, he did. many times. He just changed his tune when the bills said that they were moving on without him. So when the bills weren't an option, he said he would lke to play for another team or retire. But with him keep bringing up retirement, it seemed obvious that he was going to retire.