The QB competition is irrelevant

Simon

All these QB threads we're seeing are pointless, imo.

The Bills were completely incapable of protecting the QB off the edges last year and with no significant upgrades will once again be completely incapable of protecting the QB off the edges this year. There's not a single QB on this planet who can be successful operating behind this Offensive Line and our crop of BList signal callers is no exception. I don't care who is anointed the starter because no matter which guy it is, he is going to struggle moving the offense until he is inevitably hurt and then replaced by the next guy who will be dealing with the same set of insurmountable circumstances.

The front office doesn't see any of these guys as a long term solution to the position, which is part of the reason they chose to primarily address the defense this offseason. Addressing the OT and TE positions will come in the next step of the rebuild when they will be looking for a QB that they can hang their hats on.

So we can go round and round arguing about who's the better QB, but the fact is that it doesn't matter one lick who the Bills starting QB is this year. Whoever it is will only be the #1 for a relatively short time, serving as no more than an interchangeable part until the Bills bring in the guy they plan to go forward with.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills were completely incapable of protecting the QB off the edges last year and with no significant upgrades will once again be completely incapable of protecting the QB off the edges this year. There's not a single QB on this planet who can be successful operating behind this Offensive Line and our crop of BList signal callers is no exception. I don't care who is anointed the starter because no matter which guy it is, he is going to struggle moving the offense until he is inevitably hurt and then replaced by the next guy who will be dealing with the same set of insurmountable circumstances.

The front office doesn't see any of these guys as a long term solution to the position, which is part of the reason they chose to primarily address the defense this offseason. Addressing the OT and TE positions will come in the next step of the rebuild when they will be looking for a QB that they can hang their hats on.

So we can go round and round arguing about who's the better QB, but the fact is that it doesn't matter one lick who the Bills starting QB is this year. Whoever it is will only be the #1 for a relatively short time, serving as no more than an interchangeable part until the Bills bring in the guy they plan to go forward with.

But it's not the line's fault! A a good QB makes the line look better! [/hoi polloi]

Guest dog14787

Some folks seem to think we need a QB that can run well and I suppose they have a good point.

Fitz runs well, but his accuracy is horrible, Brohm and Edwards on the other hand are pocket QB's that need protection

Folks are anxious to see Brian Brohm in action , myself included, but why, so we can all watch Brohm get knocked around and made look bad playing behind an inexperienced O-line, possibly ruin the young fellas confidence, because that's probably whats going to happen,

I do believe however, Brohms touch on the Ball may come in real handy when in duress (something you can't teach), and is part of the reason why I really like Brian brohm, great touch on the ball.

Concur. It does not matter very much as our B-List QB's still are playing behind C-list OT's.

There is no "competition". Trent is the starter and that is that.

The line is not good, but don't kid yourself into thinking Peyton Manning wouldn't find a way to win. If the Bills swapped Manning for Edwards they would get at least 4 more wins just from that move alone.

Yeah but... you say none of these QBs can succeed behind this line, and you also say that the FO didn't address the line because none of these QBs are the answer. Seems a bit circular. How can the FO (or anyone else) even evaluate these QBs without having first put them in a position with at least a chance to be successful?

+1

All of this remains true and is a latent admission that 2010 will be a rebuilding season. OTOH, how does a team begin a rebuild without the QB, rookie or proven veteran acquired via trade or UFA? They've started on defense with guys like Troup and Carrington. But offensively, it's still a steep climb in that they need OT's and a QB.

No it doesn't matter who of either Edwards, Edward, or Brohm starts. They'll all see time this season anyway, unless one is cut for Brown.

Guest dog14787
Michael Vick wouldn't be a bad choice to run for his life behind this line. Philly won't be parting with him now though.

McNabb would have been a sweet pick up and someone who throws very well on the run, (still runs with the ball pretty well also)

I don't disagree with you. That said, how do we explain how Aaron Rogers managed to survive behind that disaster of a line in Green Bay last year -- a line with at least as many injuries as the Bills, and got Rogers sacked 50 times, most in the league -- yet he was still able to post amazing stats with a 103.2 passer rating?

And another thing - why does the FO get a free pass around here for "choosing to address the defense this offseason"? Since when did it become ok to focus on one side of the ball, and postpone actually winning games until some later season? Wtf? First, there was no salary cap (I know that all teams used an "internal" cap, but perhaps if your team has been losing for a decade it might be time to abandon the cheapsake approach and splurge in order to help fix things). Second, there were players available on the offense side of things if the Bills wanted to aggressively pursue them, both in free agency and in the draft. I just do not understand it. IMO there was no excuse to at least attempt to add depth to the worst o-line in football this offseason, yet mystifyingly, this team chose not to. As a consequence, we're going to struggle to even compete in games, and it will further muddy the QB problem because (as the OP correctly points out) it will make it very difficult to evaluate the QBs on the roster. Why is that excusable?

I don't disagree with you. That said, how do we explain how Aaron Rogers managed to survive behind that disaster of a line in Green Bay last year -- a line with at least as many injuries as the Bills, and got Rogers sacked 50 times, most in the league -- yet he was still able to post amazing stats with a 103.2 passer rating?

OR we could look at the Pats. With Bleedslow behind the line, they look like garbage. With Brady back there, the second coming of the Hogs.

Rapelisberger was sacked 50 times last year as well and he threw for 4300 yards and a 100.5 passer rating.

You guys really thought the line played poorly against Washington? I thought they did pretty well. They ran the ball well and pass protected Ok with 3 starters out of the lineup.

I wouldn't pass judgement on the line until Bell, Wood, and Green are starting then you guys can harp on it.

You guys really thought the line played poorly against Washington? I thought they did pretty well. They ran the ball well and pass protected Ok with 3 starters out of the lineup.

I wouldn't pass judgement on the line until Bell, Wood, and Green are starting then you guys can harp on it.

Really? That's the difference maker?

yeah, unfortunately you're right on the money

Fitz runs well, but his accuracy is horrible, Brohm and Edwards on the other hand are pocket QB's that need protection

That's a moot point if you're afraid of the pressure and totally wilt. The difference is that Fitz can slide around and avoid the pass rush.

There is no "competition". Trent is the starter and that is that.

Not so sure. If Chan is paying attention, he's starting to realize that before live bullets start flying, Trent was the man. Now that he can see Trent completely falls down under pressure, he may rethink who he wants under center. Or maybe he'll put him in a shotgun to give him another second or 2 to make a decision.