The QB competition is irrelevant

Simon

I was thinking the same thing as the Bills lost both Jackson and Lynch to injuries, and when they went down it screwed the running game and protections.

But then again isn't that what an offensive minded HC was supposed to do, make the offensive passing game better so they can convert those 3rd downs?

While missing 3 starters on the O-line?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
The Bills already had a decent running game under Jauron as several posters here have pointed to me the last 6 mo, while proclaiming all the team needed was a QB change.

The Bills were 16th overall in rushing last season and 30th in passing offense, and 27th in scoring.

The Colts were the worst team in the NFL last season in rushing offense at 32, next was San Diego at 31, The Colts went 14-2 and the Chargers went 13-3...The NFL is now a passing league as the Colts were #2 in passing and the Chargers #5 in passing offense.

While I'm all for a dominate running attack like the Ravens and Jets had last year, the team won't win unless they can convert 3rd and long.

Yes, but with the our "3 headed beast" rushing attack the Bills could eventually have one of the best running games in the league.

Actually control the clock/time of possession in a game (rest the defense) and set up the pass with our explosive run game. If you run the ball well chances are you won't be seeing 3rd and long,

Everyone thinks TE/Captain Checkdown is an average QB at best (or brohm) so it makes perfect sense establishing a run first type offense, especially considering the harsh weather condition the bills could be playing in late in the season.

Yes, but with the our "3 headed beast" rushing attack the Bills could eventually have one of the best running games in the league.

Actually control the clock/time of possession in a game (rest the defense) and set up the pass with our explosive run game. If you run the ball well chances are you won't be seeing 3rd and long,

Everyone thinks TE/Captain Checkdown is an average QB at best (or brohm) so it makes perfect sense establishing a run first type offense, especially considering the harsh weather condition the bills could be playing in late in the season.

I hear ya dog, while I would love to see the Buffalo Bills build a dominate rushing attack like the Jets, Titans and Ravens have, they will still need a really good O line to do that...like the Titans, Ravens and Jets have.

Even with a great O line and power running game a team will still need an offense that can convert a 3rd down passing when needed, if they don't have tackles that will allow them to convert the 3rd and longs... they simply won't win. Opposing teams will simply stack the box and crowd the line to stop the run and force the team to throw.

While one preseason loss doesn't prove anything, I was expecting more from Gaily in the passing offense.

Guest dog14787
I hear ya dog, while I would love to see the Buffalo Bills build a dominate rushing attack like the Jets, Titans and Ravens have, they will still need a really good O line to do that...like the Titans, Ravens and Jets have.

Even with a great O line and power running game a team will still need an offense that can convert a 3rd down passing when needed, if they don't have tackles that will allow them to convert the 3rd and longs... they simply won't win. Opposing teams will simply stack the box and crowd the line to stop the run and force the team to throw.

While one preseason loss doesn't prove anything, I was expecting more from Gaily in the passing offense.

I hear where your coming from to rabbit,

Just discussing this in the O-line thread, but do you realize even by removing the two longest runs of 24 and 43 yards the Bills still averaged almost 5 yards a carry. (4.9)

If the Bills can get the passing attack clicking at all , even If its a majority of check downs, we can sustain drives. (without penalties)

I'll be willing to bet Gailey has a good plan on how to get the ball in Evans hands (our best play maker) come regular season and we have already seen hints of how he plans on doing it.

a world of difference between them and the players who took the field... :devil:

True. Cordaro Howard is virtually as good as Eric Wood while Kirk Chambers is virtually as good as Green.

Meredith and Bell I might give you, although Bell needs to show something.

All 3 "starters" could play against Indy Thursday night, lets see what changes

Fine. Let's see. Although as I said earlier, there can only be so much improvement from the O-line, and the rest needs to come from the QB position.

I hear where your coming from to rabbit,

Just discussing this in the O-line thread, but do you realize even by removing the two longest runs of 24 and 43 yards the Bills still averaged almost 5 yards a carry. (4.9)

If the Bills can get the passing attack clicking at all , even If its a majority of check downs, we can sustain drives. (without penalties)

I'll be willing to bet Gailey has a good plan on how to get the ball in Evans hands (our best play maker) come regular season and we have already seen hints of how he plans on doing it.

I wouldn't put to much into preseason stats, especially when the Bills were down by so many points and the opposing team expecting them to pass to try and catch up, then considering the Redskins were also implementing a new 3-4 defensive scheme...

After Lynch and Jackson went out, aside from Spiller will any of those players who made the rushing yards against the Redskins even make the team?

On another note looking at both teams and their respective players I would have thought that the Bills secondary would have played better then they did

Anyway, I just can't share your optimism about Gailey and his offensive scheme as I haven't seen anything yet to make me think this years offense will be any better then last years.

Lastly, go back and look at what success Gailey had at Kansas City running that offense...then you will know what to expect this year from the Bills.

Lots of folks have said this, but there's no particular reason to think so. Gailey has run very different systems wherever he's been. What he does here depends on what he thinks will best fit the personnel here. For all we know, he's going to use Spiller as a Slash-type.

No reason to think the KC template will be the one over the Dallas template, the Pittsburgh template, the Birmingham Fire template or the Dolphins template or something entirely different.

True. Cordaro Howard is virtually as good as Eric Wood while Kirk Chambers is virtually as good as Green.

Meredith and Bell I might give you, although Bell needs to show something.

Fine. Let's see. Although as I said earlier, there can only be so much improvement from the O-line, and the rest needs to come from the QB position.

Actually, yeah, Chambers is indeed pretty close to Green. Green has more experience, but they're not all that different. Certainly Wood will be a big difference, but a difference at RG isn't going to turn things around.

Guest dog14787
I wouldn't put to much into preseason stats, especially when the Bills were down by so many points and the opposing team expecting them to pass to try and catch up, then considering the Redskins were also implementing a new 3-4 defensive scheme...

After Lynch and Jackson went out, aside from Spiller will any of those players who made the rushing yards against the Redskins even make the team?

On another note looking at both teams and their respective players I would have thought that the Bills secondary would have played better then they did

Anyway, I just can't share your optimism about Gailey and his offensive scheme as I haven't seen anything yet to make me think this years offense will be any better then last years.

I understand,

and you know me, always searching for the silver lining...

Actually, yeah, Chambers is indeed pretty close to Green. Green has more experience, but they're not all that different. Certainly Wood will be a big difference, but a difference at RG isn't going to turn things around.

Green at RT is a much better player than Chambers, who's best position is backup backup OG. He'd be even better if he learns to cut down on the penalties.

He screwed up the team for this year. And that's not a bad thing in the long run.

Get used to this strategy, they've said again and again that they're going to build through the draft and fill in with a few FAs, but not guys at the end of their contracts, and not expensive guys. If you don't like that strategy, by all means dodge off the boards, and preferably turn off your TV on Sundays for the next three years or so, because that's the way it's going to be. We'd rather not hear you moan for three years about something everybody knows will happen.

And it's the same strategy that has worked for the most successful teams in football, over and over, so it's not a bad thing. In the long run. In the short run, not so good, but that will make our draft spot better next year.

As a fan, I can say I want to be competitive and win as soon as possible. I fully understand a key component to building a successful franchise is through the draft. I believe any reasonable fan would agree with that. However, that is not to neglect the importance of picking up a few experienced and talented free agents that solidify your team. I am not OK with as you put it "he screwed up the team for this year." I agree with that statement (many here will not) but I don't agree with the strategy. This organization has failed miserable with the lack of quality free agent acquisitions and via the draft. You talk about a three year plan. Where did the 3 "year plan" come from? Who "coined" the phrase? I never could understand this notion? I think it must have been used by coaches so they could extend their contracts. IMHO, no such plan exist. Nothing prohibits a team from turning it around quicker. (ie) the Miami Dolphins. Vice versa too. The Bills seem to fit the latter. Some teams may need longer than three years. I just don't like the usage. Why not 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 years... Three years from now, I wonder what we all will be saying? Some of us have been saying this for 10 plus years. Myself included. I cannot accept the notion that losing football games will ultimately make us a more successful franchise...This kind of strategy hasn't worked too well for the Lions, Tampa Bay, KC, Rams, Raiders, Browns, and least but not least the BILLS. To suggest we as fans sit on our hands for the next three years and have a wait and see attitude is beyond me. As a fan, I have every right to piss and moan about my team especially when they have made so many blunders. Our voices should be heard if not by OBD at least by fellow fans. I hear you BillsVA...

As a fan, I can say I want to be competitive and win as soon as possible. I fully understand a key component to building a successful franchise is through the draft. I believe any reasonable fan would agree with that. However, that is not to neglect the importance of picking up a few experienced and talented free agents that solidify your team. I am not OK with as you put it "he screwed up the team for this year." I agree with that statement (many here will not) but I don't agree with the strategy. This organization has failed miserable with the lack of quality free agent acquisitions and via the draft. You talk about a three year plan. Where did the 3 "year plan" come from? Who "coined" the phrase? I never could understand this notion? I think it must have been used by coaches so they could extend their contracts. IMHO, no such plan exist. Nothing prohibits a team from turning it around quicker. (ie) the Miami Dolphins. Vice versa too. The Bills seem to fit the latter. Some teams may need longer than three years. I just don't like the usage. Why not 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 years... Three years from now, I wonder what we all will be saying? Some of us have been saying this for 10 plus years. Myself included. I cannot accept the notion that losing football games will ultimately make us a more successful franchise...This kind of strategy hasn't worked too well for the Lions, Tampa Bay, KC, Rams, Raiders, Browns, and least but not least the BILLS. To suggest we as fans sit on our hands for the next three years and have a wait and see attitude is beyond me. As a fan, I have every right to piss and moan about my team especially when they have made so many blunders. Our voices should be heard if not by OBD at least by fellow fans. I hear you BillsVA...

I'm not ok with it either... considering it takes 2-3 years for an O linemen to develop as well as the QB. I'd prefer to establish a decent O line and ground game before drafting the franchise QB to keep him protected while he learns and develops some confidence instead of letting him get beaten up every play.

This is a win now league, the Bills defense was way better talent wise last season then the offense, and could have waited another year for a NT and LB.