While we were watching the game...I was busy getting

One of the cool things about moving my activities to Buffalo has been the regularity with which I randomly run into players, coaches, inside fans, etc. To be sure, this is not something I seek, it just happens. This is a departure from most of the cities I have lived in, and it really is an asset to Buffalo. Clients usually lose their schit when they realize they are suddenly sitting next to pro athlete/musician, and the scene is telling them, "yeah, so?". Everywhere else it's about some dopey "access" thing. Here, it's no big deal to just sit down with whoever and have a beer in your local bar. Everywhere else its jacked up personal seat licenses and $25 lobster bisque at the stadium, and then maybe, just maybe you get a chance to talk to a player for 5 minutes. :beer:

The reason for the intro is: we have been exposed to lots of "Ralph's Taurus spotted at airport" posts since I have been here. This is not one of them, and I can prove it. I will drop the info I have, and then add the bonafides after.

So, let's get to the point. I have it on excellent authority that as of last night the Bills will not be going anywhere. Yes, Jim Kelly is involved, but is more of a broker than a backer. In fact, over the course of 3 years, most recently in the last 6 months, Kelly has consistently said "Don't worry, the Bills aren't going anywhere, but that's all I can say." This only makes sense since, as a broker Kelly would almost certainly be under a non-disclosure agreement, and, why in the hell would Kelly's group want to be bidding against themselves by prematurely making their intentions, and price, public?

Bonafides and interesting tidbits:

1. The person that told me this has been what I will call the "car czar" to the Bills and Sabres over the course of the last 20 years. In fact, he told an interesting story about being originally stiffed by Kelly, at which point Andre Reed, who was also a customer, covered him, and said "hey, I don't like Kelly much, but he is going to put me into the hall". :P This was Reed's rookie year. Over time, the relationship obviously changed.

2. This guy went on to refuse to do business with Kelly for a number of years, until one day when his buddy told him "STFU, I am on Jim's car phone and we are pulling into the parking lot". Jim did the right thing, and they have been doing business ever since.

3. "Right thing", to the point that when my "source" got cancer, and had $50k in medical bills pile up, Jimbo stepped in and raised $36k in one day, confirmed by this guy's wife. (So yeah, there are waaaay to many details here for this to be BS).

4. I spent what I can only call quality time listening to stories about Razor, Barnaby, Peters and the list goes on. Basically, had I wanted to, I am sure I could have pressed and gotten a story about any player, but I focused on the new owners of the Bills thing.

5. Major TBD Myth Busting: Kent Hull freely admits that on multiple occasions, he had to literally fireman's carry Jimbo into the stadium on game day. However, Hull insists that they never lost a game when he had to do that. Instead, he says that those days produced some of Jim's best games. And for the doubters? These are fighting words for Hull, enjoy. Specifically, they did not follow their usual routines for any of the super bowls. If anything, we should have wished for more partying the night before, not less the week before.

Disclaimer:

I specifically asked if it was OK if I posted this info in detail. I did pay for this info and the price was one beer :P

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it would make more sense and allow for a graceful exit of Ralph. It would also prevent an apocalypse should something happen to Ralph while he still holds the keys to OBD.

And man, what could be more fresh and exciting for the future of the Bills than a Jim Kelly-led ownership group restoring the Bills to glory?

Bring it.

bump

Did a lot of you guys miss this or are people convinced OC is a fake?

I found this intriguing and it fits with the facts that we have heard (Jimbo says money is not the issue). 'd love to hear from people concerning what they think about this posting - if this is accurate it is really pretty encouraging news.

Does anyone know this poster? Sounds legit to me.

hope so. :thumbsup:

One of the cool things about moving my activities to Buffalo has been the regularity with which I randomly run into players, coaches, inside fans, etc. To be sure, this is not something I seek, it just happens. This is a departure from most of the cities I have lived in, and it really is an asset to Buffalo. Clients usually lose their schit when they realize they are suddenly sitting next to pro athlete/musician, and the scene is telling them, "yeah, so?". Everywhere else it's about some dopey "access" thing. Here, it's no big deal to just sit down with whoever and have a beer in your local bar. Everywhere else its jacked up personal seat licenses and $25 lobster bisque at the stadium, and then maybe, just maybe you get a chance to talk to a player for 5 minutes. :devil:

The reason for the intro is: we have been exposed to lots of "Ralph's Taurus spotted at airport" posts since I have been here. This is not one of them, and I can prove it. I will drop the info I have, and then add the bonafides after.

So, let's get to the point. I have it on excellent authority that as of last night the Bills will not be going anywhere. Yes, Jim Kelly is involved, but is more of a broker than a backer. In fact, over the course of 3 years, most recently in the last 6 months, Kelly has consistently said "Don't worry, the Bills aren't going anywhere, but that's all I can say." This only makes sense since, as a broker Kelly would almost certainly be under a non-disclosure agreement, and, why in the hell would Kelly's group want to be bidding against themselves by prematurely making their intentions, and price, public?

Bonafides and interesting tidbits:

1. The person that told me this has been what I will call the "car czar" to the Bills and Sabres over the course of the last 20 years. In fact, he told an interesting story about being originally stiffed by Kelly, at which point Andre Reed, who was also a customer, covered him, and said "hey, I don't like Kelly much, but he is going to put me into the hall". :D This was Reed's rookie year. Over time, the relationship obviously changed.

2. This guy went on to refuse to do business with Kelly for a number of years, until one day when his buddy told him "STFU, I am on Jim's car phone and we are pulling into the parking lot". Jim did the right thing, and they have been doing business ever since.

3. "Right thing", to the point that when my "source" got cancer, and had $50k in medical bills pile up, Jimbo stepped in and raised $36k in one day, confirmed by this guy's wife. (So yeah, there are waaaay to many details here for this to be BS).

4. I spent what I can only call quality time listening to stories about Razor, Barnaby, Peters and the list goes on. Basically, had I wanted to, I am sure I could have pressed and gotten a story about any player, but I focused on the new owners of the Bills thing.

5. Major TBD Myth Busting: Kent Hull freely admits that on multiple occasions, he had to literally fireman's carry Jimbo into the stadium on game day. However, Hull insists that they never lost a game when he had to do that. Instead, he says that those days produced some of Jim's best games. And for the doubters? These are fighting words for Hull, enjoy. Specifically, they did not follow their usual routines for any of the super bowls. If anything, we should have wished for more partying the night before, not less the week before.

Disclaimer:

I specifically asked if it was OK if I posted this info in detail. I did pay for this info and the price was one beer :D

bump

Did a lot of you guys miss this or are people convinced OC is a fake?

I found this intriguing and it fits with the facts that we have heard (Jimbo says money is not the issue). 'd love to hear from people concerning what they think about this posting - if this is accurate it is really pretty encouraging news.

Does anyone know this poster? Sounds legit to me.

hope so. :devil:

OC seems like a decent guy, but I take any kind of third-person stories with a grain of salt.

If there is an auction, which Ralph has stated, anybody can bid. If a group bid a fortune, they would need a sweetheart deal from another city to recoup their money.

The only way to guarantee the Bills in Buff. is transfer ownership before Ralph croaks.

If there is an auction, which Ralph has stated, anybody can bid. If a group bid a fortune, they would need a sweetheart deal from another city to recoup their money.

The only way to guarantee the Bills in Buff. is transfer ownership before Ralph croaks.

what are you saying exactly? OC's post strongly suggests that discussions are taking place NOW...right? Ralph is still alive, isn't he?

And does OC's post mean the entire team has to be sold or could the discussion be part ownership leaving Ralph in charge while he is still alive?

As to a city sweetheart deal - given the economy isn't such a deal highly unlikely - at least for the foreseeable future?

what are you saying exactly? OC's post strongly suggests that discussions are taking place NOW...right? Ralph is still alive, isn't he?

And does OC's post mean the entire team has to be sold or could the discussion be part ownership leaving Ralph in charge while he is still alive?

As to a city sweetheart deal - given the economy isn't such a deal highly unlikely - at least for the foreseeable future?

A sweetheart deal is not unlikely. Those morons were going to give Bass Pro something like $60m to open a store (which would also have been fully paid for by public money) on the waterfront.

The City, County and State will bend over backwards to get a long term agreement to keep the Bills in WNY.

The "auction" stuff was pure fantasy. You don't "auction" off NFL teams. :devil:

Anyone see this on PFT? Could it be related the Bills?

30 percent of an NFL team will be for sale in September

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ember/#comments

Possibly, but doubtful. If OC is correct, Kelly is the broker, not the person mentioned in that link.

why would two (or more) wildly successful businessmen need Jim Kelly to broker the deal? Unless they needed to know how to run the hurry up offense or shotgun a beer?

Half kidding. I really like Jimbo, and I am holding out hope he is going to bring balance to the force

The "auction" stuff was pure fantasy. You don't "auction" off NFL teams. :flirt:

Possibly, but doubtful. If OC is correct, Kelly is the broker, not the person mentioned in that link.

Not saying the 30% sale is the Bills, but Kelly can be the broker (more likely a go-between who has access to Ralph and convinced him to do this) and an advisor would still be hired to structure the sale properly for all those involved. If someone is selling 30% and doesn't know who the buyers are, I'd think it would be for sale right now.

OC seems like a decent guy, but I take any kind of third-person stories with a grain of salt.

Thanks. I have no reason to lie. It's not like I am trying to impress anybody. I couldn't care less what people think of me here, on PPP, or anywhere else. I ran into this guy in a bar, and this was early that night.

and this is a 4th/5th person story

Not really. This guy is fairly well entrenched in a 20 year relationship with players on both the Sabres and Bills. He basically quoted these things directly to me, and I posted them word for word.

Not saying the 30% sale is the Bills, but Kelly can be the broker (more likely a go-between who has access to Ralph and convinced him to do this) and an advisor would still be hired to structure the sale properly for all those involved. If someone is selling 30% and doesn't know who the buyers are, I'd think it would be for sale right now.

To clarify, I used the word "broker" as a quick way to explain a concept in an already "verbose" post :D:

If this is anything like a typical VC/private placement deal, then Kelly is the guy bringing the parties together, and may or not be receiving any $ for his involvement. I am certain he is not structuring it. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if he is largely lending his name/credibility to the buy side, so that sell side, Ralph, will be more willing to do the deal. As far as the actual structure of the deal itself, there are a lot of ways it could get done. In all cases, it's a virtual certainty that some investment banker will be engaged to work out the details and handle the structure.