Okay, let me have it.

It was odd watching the game yesterday. When I usually watch the Bills (even preseason games) I am into the game - I pace, yell at the TV and typically make my family cringe. But last night I watched calmly because of two things. The first is they played how I expected them to play because of the various reasons mentioned in this topic (injuries, new schemes, talent deficiencies, playing tired, etc.). The second is that I have come to like and trust in what Chan and Buddy are doing. They are the right guys for the Bills and while we may not see the fruits of their work this year, we will over time. Watching the Bills and calmness are not words I usually associate with myself but this year it is my new goal.

Go Bills!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put me down also as being over-optimistic going into this game. It was tough to watch after the first series, and even on that series it ended with a classic Bills moment--Lynch's run to the two yard line called back on a hold. Too many miastakes, the secondary gets torched again and again, the offense looks useless. And even the special teams sucked (though there was a clear block in the back on Washington's PR TD.

But there's not denying the Bills looked totally overmatched against a team that won four games last season.

I still hope they improve, but they've got a long way to go.

first off, even though i keep it as positive as possible as a fan, i've never been expecting anything better than 5-11 this year. and i can be fine with that if i see some other types of changes from the team. mostly with the coaching, play-calling, and game planning, and also with a culture change. do our guys play tough football? after that, im not expecting much until we add some more talent to this team in the key positions we're missing right now (QB, Oline, WR).

that being said, it was the first preseason game. no big deal. both teams looked horrible at different times. no reason to feel bad yet. "yet" being the key word there.

but i hope everyone realizes that you CAN still be a positive fan even though you dont expect much from the team. it will only help you get through this season.

i'm right with ya, doc

i am as optimistic as anyone when it comes to the bills, however my main beef with what i saw last night is that there weren't any instances one can hang their hat on when saying, "NOW we're a different team...NOW we're heading in the right direction."

i've been a fan of how gailey and nix have ran the show thusfar, with the exception of the gameday results.

to gailey's credit, the offensive playcalling seemed improved (which isn't saying much), but the execution lacked sorely.

what was absolutely baffling to me is that (and i know many will question my intelligence on this, but...) trent sucked as bad as ever. my unconditional hope and optimism obviously clouded my judgment, but i was under the impression that this would be trent's year. oops. no evidence of that.

so, yeah, i'm angry, disappointed, confused, and a little sleepy. the only truly "optimistic" thing i can say is that it's only the first preseason game of a new regime. and by the time i give up on the bills this year, i can at least get excited about stud qb we'll be drafting in the first round. :beer:

I know I was leading the TBD optimist's club lately. Everyone is invited to say "I told you so." Not throwing in the towel and we still have time to right things, but that was not the performance I was expecting to see, outside of the first offensive and defensive series. I'm as disappointed as anyone.

FYI I was at a show so I could only see a little TV from afar with no sound. So I have not seen the game in detail yet. I know the results though.

PTR

what were you thinking? not to worry, i am sure your judgment is perfectly sane and normal when you're not on this site.

There were plenty of mistakes, but we got shafted in Washington's PR for the TD. Our gunner had him dead to rights and was clearly hit from behind, above the waist.

yeah i was stunned that wasn't called back...can't believe theisman didn't pick it up!...hahaha...

it was an outrageous no-call. i wish gailey would have gone castroneves on the nearest zebra. maybe that would wake up these losers masquerading as NFL players.

I know I was leading the TBD optimist's club lately. Everyone is invited to say "I told you so." Not throwing in the towel and we still have time to right things, but that was not the performance I was expecting to see, outside of the first offensive and defensive series. I'm as disappointed as anyone.

FYI I was at a show so I could only see a little TV from afar with no sound. So I have not seen the game in detail yet. I know the results though.

PTR

LOL. I'm proud of you Prome. It doesn't mean you don't like the Bills, but maybe you'll see them in more balanced light now?!?!?

What's really laughable is that people are actually trying to justify that maybe the Redskins got lucky and some of their TD's shouldn't count, etc. LMAO. That was a good ole ass kickin on all three sides of the ball. The Bills were pathetic. Period. I can't stand people that blame the refs in games where a team got blown out. Makes you sound stupid. The Bills were crushed.

On a positive note, there's no way the Bills are as bad as they played last night. They did have people missing, although, with this team, does that really matter? There are no stars on this team anyway. But still, the Bills can't be as bad as they played last night. Gailey's play calling did look decent on the first drive. But for the first time ever, I think I agreed with Joe Theisman. The Bills looked slow and without legs. Translation, the Bills have a huge talent void, and it showed.

I think it will be fun to watch how Gailey reacts to this loss. It seems that Mike Shannahan runs at least as tough a training camp as Chan does, if not even tougher, based on how the Redskins were able to push the Bills around last night. It should be a good eye opener for Chan - and I'm looking forward to seeing how his young Bills respond against a much better football team in Toronto next week against Indy.

either Kenny Alberts or Joe Theisman said last night that most of Shanahan's practices consisted of a 2.5-3 hr morning practice and an afternoon walkthrough, and no 2-a-days (with pads and hitting). Of course they're biased as hell, but there were numerous on-air references to how fresh the Skins looked and how beat and tired the Bills appeared. Anyone watching the game would probably say the same thing.

I'm not saying Chan is too tough, but it sure looked to me like the Skins were in better physical shape.

And (so far) no injuries to their starters through OTAs, mini-camps and TC.

Not sure what this means, but doesn't look so good for CG's this is a tough game for tough people approach.

PTR

Ok. You haven't a clue about Bills football. Completely unobjective and with a very limited understanding about the game you are watching. Yet you feel qualified enough to insist that you are right. You are also a bi-polar mess when it comes to the Bills, intermittently mixing blind optimism with blind pessimism(like this thread about a game you didn't even really see). To top it off, you are a dick to anyone who questions an organization that is clearly one of the bottom 5 in the league over the past decade. I guess you just like being an idiot here. It's your thing. Carry on.

Ok. You haven't a clue about Bills football. Completely unobjective and with a very limited understanding about the game you are watching. Yet you feel qualified enough to insist that you are right. You are also a bi-polar mess when it comes to the Bills, intermittently mixing blind optimism with blind pessimism(like this thread about a game you didn't even really see). To top it off, you are a dick to anyone who questions an organization that is clearly one of the bottom 5 in the league over the past decade. I guess you just like being an idiot here. It's your thing. Carry on.

LOL. Wow, at least I tried to say this in a nice way!

:beer:

I, too, have been a bit overly optimistic, it appears. I'm not about to write off the season over one pre-season game, but it sure was a disappointing performance. I expected a lot more from the passing game. I didn't expect to see our secondary ripped. I didn't think the team would/could have such a pitiful special teams showing. Yes, new coaches, new system, youth movement, etc., etc., but the excuses are getting tiring. I'm so tired of TE's BS about watching the tape and fixing problems. I'm not giving up, but my expectations for this season got a major reality check last night.

LOL. I'm proud of you Prome. It doesn't mean you don't like the Bills, but maybe you'll see them in more balanced light now?!?!?

What's really laughable is that people are actually trying to justify that maybe the Redskins got lucky and some of their TD's shouldn't count, etc. LMAO. That was a good ole ass kickin on all three sides of the ball. The Bills were pathetic. Period. I can't stand people that blame the refs in games where a team got blown out. Makes you sound stupid. The Bills were crushed.

On a positive note, there's no way the Bills are as bad as they played last night. They did have people missing, although, with this team, does that really matter? There are no stars on this team anyway. But still, the Bills can't be as bad as they played last night. Gailey's play calling did look decent on the first drive. But for the first time ever, I think I agreed with Joe Theisman. The Bills looked slow and without legs. Translation, the Bills have a huge talent void, and it showed.

I have to agree with you. The same old BS about "a play here or a play there and it's a different ball game" just doesn't play any longer. Then MAKE those plays, dammit. The Redskins outplayed Buffalo, period.

I was not and still am not overly optimisitic about the season. But, wow. They looked worse than I could have imagined. Call it tired, call it injuries, call it what you want, but they didn't even look adequate.

Can we please bench Trent. Please. I honestly can't imagine what the coaching staff sees in him. Is it me or does he just look completely disinterested out there?

either Kenny Alberts or Joe Theisman said last night that most of Shanahan's practices consisted of a 2.5-3 hr morning practice and an afternoon walkthrough, and no 2-a-days (with pads and hitting). Of course they're biased as hell, but there were numerous on-air references to how fresh the Skins looked and how beat and tired the Bills appeared. Anyone watching the game would probably say the same thing.

I'm not saying Chan is too tough, but it sure looked to me like the Skins were in better physical shape.

And (so far) no injuries to their starters through OTAs, mini-camps and TC.

Not sure what this means, but doesn't look so good for CG's this is a tough game for tough people approach.

I heard that and they kept driving it home. I think they were making a point because the news on Camp Chan is out.

With injuries you cannot ever claim to know the answer. Camp Jauron was soft and we still had lots of injuries. Gailey's are tough and the injuries are piling up already. We have changed Strength and Conditioning coaches numerous times in the last 10 years.

Seems like luck has something to do with it.

PTR

we were outplayed.

You know though PTR, it was one of them games had a couple of plays went just a little differently, take a penalty or two away, I don't know, maybe things could have went differently,

Myself personally, I'm still optimistic and think 9-7 or better is still going to happen,

This is a wake up call and we still have a long way to go, but better now then in the Miami game,

we were outplayed big time. so what? maybe we lose 35-17 or 28-17. either way we got smacked!!!

not optimistic if we run with trent (strong dislike towards t.e.)

have some faith with fitz (and i dont even really like fitz that much

I am not going to say all that but I can say he has been mean to me when I said something negative.