EVERYBODY CALM DOWN!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will panic if:

1. By the last preseason game, the defense still looks as slow. That means they are not reacting to the play but instead thinking about assignments, routes, etc. That was one of the bigger problems on Friday...the defense, especially the young guys like Moats, were thinking. That makes you very slow on the field.

2. If Edwards remains QB after a repeat performance of Friday night.

3. If Edwards remains QB despite Brohm or Brown obviously outperforming him.

4. Guys like Nelson and Bell get cut.

The Bills come out flat, get lambasted 42-17 in their first game and you're telling folks to calm down after an 11 season playoff drought?

Are you still alive Ralph?

I hate that we took an A** whoopin like that too , but listen to some of what was said and written on BB.com and BR.com

1) How many starters were out in the first quarter & how many more by the end of that quarter ?

2) IT'S THE FIRST PRESEASON GAME !! CHILL

3) I read that the defense was very basic , add to that the starters that were out on that side of the ball !!

4) the change of schemes both offense & defense .

5) rookies in play don't forget

6) IT'S THE FIRST PRESEASON GAME !!!! CHILL OUT --- DRINK TWELVE BEERS BEFORE THE NEXT GAME YOU'LL BE OUT BY THE 3RD PLAY & WE DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN TO YOU WINE !!!!!!

I hate that we took an A** whoopin like that too , but listen to some of what was said and written on BB.com and BR.com

1) How many starters were out in the first quarter & how many more by the end of that quarter ?

3) I read that the defense was very basic , add to that the starters that were out on that side of the ball !!

6) IT'S THE FIRST PRESEASON GAME !!!! CHILL OUT --- DRINK TWELVE BEERS BEFORE THE NEXT GAME YOU'LL BE OUT BY THE 3RD PLAY & WE DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN TO YOU WINE !!!!!!

The first team O was into the 2nd Q, wasn't it?

As for J Bell, how many RBs do people think we will keep on the roster?

With the exception of #1, the same things were true for the skins as well. And as to #1, that in itself is concerning, preseason or not. And as far as #5 goes, our starters played about a quarter longer than theirs did.

I understand where you are coming from and yes, it is only preseason. But to the people who think the Bills were going to have a big turnaround this season, that game was a punch in the gut (or a little further south).

Rationalizations always abound after the Bills play like that. Preseason or regular season. But if the roles were reversed and we put the ass whoopin on them, would you have been saying chill it is only preseason. Or "Chan just showed why he is a proven winner", or "the get tough attitude in camp is really paying off" ?

I've been reading through the threads lately and all i see is " oh the bills will suck" or " Trent sucks" or " There is no hope".

Guys. Relax. It's the first preseason game for crying out loud. There are still 3 more preseason games to go. I guarantee that if we light it up in Toronto against Indy, everyone will be talking about us going unbeaten.

Here is one reason why we should panic:

1. Both the Buffalo Bills and Washington Redskins knew they were playing the 1st pre-season game of the year, and clearly were treating it as nothing more than "practice". When a team gets blown off the field by another team under such circumstances, the only conclusion that can be drawn is that team doesn't even belong on the same field with the other. So, unless the Redskins are going 16-0 I would say there is serious cause for concern...

I've been reading through the threads lately and all i see is " oh the bills will suck" or " Trent sucks" or " There is no hope".

Guys. Relax. It's the first preseason game for crying out loud. There are still 3 more preseason games to go. I guarantee that if we light it up in Toronto against Indy, everyone will be talking about us going unbeaten.

After watching this, here are some reasons on why we shouldntt panic just yet:

1. Our backups on D wont all be on the field during the regular season like today. I hope.

2. 3 o-line starters not playing.

3. Lynch and Jackson only played like half of the first quarter.

4. Edwards has nowhere to go but up after his performance today.

5. Our new coach might actually fix some of our mistakes

6. Steve Johnson looked pretty good, and will be the 2nd receiver

7. Poz, our best linebacker, didnt play.

8. There are still 3 more preseason games left to play

9. As my saying goes, in order to succeed, you must fail.

10. If Edwards can improve, and i think he will, the whole team will improve

It was definitely the first preseason game, and hopefully the team only gets better from here.

By the end of the first quarter, I found myself saying 'God they're getting Trent killed already." I was watching Meredith at LT for most of the offensive possessions and he was getting beat consistently. Bell had better be a huge upgrade or else it will be a familiar theme through the season.

The QB play reaffirmed what I saw last year. With good blocking Trent is the more consistent QB. With poor blocking Fitzgerald has more of an ability to make something happen. I liked what I saw from the running game, so I really hope they stick with that more often than passing.

I liked what I saw from Steve Johnson, David Nelson, and Naaman Roosevelt. I was hoping to see Marcus Easley get some time. How come he wasn't suited up?

The defense started off strong, but were getting gassed pretty quick due to the offensive 3 and outs.

I'd like to see our big three stand up blockers a bit better. Saw lineman sliding off and getting to the second level fairly easily. Still didn't see much of a pass rush. Maybin still looks like a boy playing with men. The Skins QBs had plenty of time to wait for the open receiver.

I'd like to see how Arthur Moats does next game. He was a step behind on a bunch of plays, and I think once he reacts instead of thinking then reacting he'll be fine.

I liked Dontes big hit on Cooley, but was kind of disappointed by his cockiness afterwards. Not because it wasn't a good hit, but Cooley still caught the ball for a pretty decent gain... he didn't prevent the completion so why celebrate? Once Reggie Corner finds his rhythm he'll grab a few picks.

There were still many costly penalties on both sides of the ball. That needs to get cleaned up just like it did last year. Still have a ridiculous number of injuries and again had a bunch of guys go out during the game. Both the offense and defense were plain BAD on third down. The team won't go anywhere if it can't convert on third down and the defense on the field the whole game.

The problem is that Trent looked exactly as he has always looked. Makes a couple of ok throws, then checks down on 3rd and 13 with NO pressure on him and throws a 3 yard pass to Lynch who had no blockers...then he scrambles a few steps out of the pocket and throws a weak pass off his back foot to the sideline for an INT when he doesnt have the arm strength to make that already dangerous pass.

Seriously, how was Trent any different than before tonight to give anyone hope he will get better? He hasnt gotten better since he left High School...what difference will 3 more preseason games make? Honestly, I just want to know what to pin the hopes of his improvement on.

The only possible hope is that he played for an awful head coach, with a pretty bad offensive line for the last few years. And that maybe, Gailey is turning the ship around. That said, as much as I would like to see Trent be the guy, I've never witnessed any flashes of brilliance from him that would give me any hope for his individual talent level. So yes, it's probably time to cut bait. What's worriesome is if the coaches think Trent gives us the best chance, what does that say about the talent level of the other 3 qbs?

Some positives:

Gailey's play calling

Defense got beat, but it's the first year/game/live action in a 34. Kyle Williams looked great, and the NT is the keystone in a 34.

Fast Freddie, Marshawn, and CJ Spiller is a great trio in the NFL.

No doubt, this year will be a long haul. The season will be positive if Gailey can at least get the franchize going in the right direction.

To me it means: New owner, new business philosophy [see New York Yankees], new management team from top down, and maybe, just maybe, a new city.

Wow, if I read between the lines it sounds like your saying the Bills are never going to be any good. I am a pessimist but I do have hope for the future.

The first preseason isn't the tell all and end all either. However, I think the game was important to me for a few reasons. I wanted to see a new Bills regime with a new attitude and sense of toughness. A team that looked hungry and ready to learn and develop into a cohesive team. I wasn't fooling myself thinking they were going to look like a super bowl contender. As a fan, I wanted to see a team and coaching staff with a chip on their shoulders. A team ready to fight, scratch, and claw. Players diving, running, and hitting the opposition even if it was late. I wanted to see a team who gave me hope for the future. Many of us fans are scared by the lack of winning. As a fan, the team and coaches gave me anything but hope. I wonder how the players are feeling...For a young team, I think it is important to play well and build confidence. I don't see how this was accomplished in Washington. Granted it was the first preseason game but for the above stated reasons I think the game was important. It was by all accounts a total failure and lack of confidence booster for the fans and players. The good thing is Gailey and company have another shot at getting things rectified.

The first preseason isn't the tell all and end all either. However, I think the game was important to me for a few reasons. I wanted to see a new Bills regime with a new attitude and sense of toughness. A team that looked hungry and ready to learn and develop into a cohesive team. I wasn't fooling myself thinking they were going to look like a super bowl contender. As a fan, I wanted to see a team and coaching staff with a chip on their shoulders. A team ready to fight, scratch, and claw. Players diving, running, and hitting the opposition even if it was late. I wanted to see a team who gave me hope for the future. Many of us fans are scared by the lack of winning. As a fan, the team and coaches gave me anything but hope. I wonder how the players are feeling...For a young team, I think it is important to play well and build confidence. I don't see how this was accomplished in Washington. Granted it was the first preseason game but for the above stated reasons I think the game was important. It was by all accounts a total failure and lack of confidence booster for the fans and players. The good thing is Gailey and company have another shot at getting things rectified.

I'll wear the Leonard Maltin hat for a minute to say that your posts seem to be getting better. You're analyzing and commenting on the team and players and not so much on your opinion of other's posts. Makes for a much more interesting read.

I'll wear the Leonard Maltin hat for a minute to say that your posts seem to be getting better. You're analyzing and commenting on the team and players and not so much on your opinion of other's posts. Makes for a much more interesting read.

Thanks Rob no hard feelings here.

After watching this, here are some reasons on why we shouldntt panic just yet:

1. Our backups on D wont all be on the field during the regular season like today. I hope.

2. 3 o-line starters not playing.

3. Lynch and Jackson only played like half of the first quarter.

4. Edwards has nowhere to go but up after his performance today.

5. Our new coach might actually fix some of our mistakes

6. Steve Johnson looked pretty good, and will be the 2nd receiver

7. Poz, our best linebacker, didnt play.

8. There are still 3 more preseason games left to play

9. As my saying goes, in order to succeed, you must fail.

10. If Edwards can improve, and i think he will, the whole team will improve

That's right everyone. Calm down there are plenty of lifeboats, heck the band's still playing, and Captain Smith will get this ship righted in time to avoid disaster.

I'm not sure I've often seen in preseason the qualities you describe in a very young team like the Bills. On a young team where many jobs are open due to injury or lack of depth, I expect it will be a bunch of young guys running around somewhat overwhelmed and playing for themselves. There hasn't been much opportunity to develop a team attitude while guys are fighting for their own roster spots. And vets aren't going to overdo it because of the fear of injury - like we saw happen with Lynch and Jackson.

Now, if we don't see the things you describe by mid-season, then we have serious problems!

I will calm down when Trent Edwards is cut. I have never seen a QB stare down a receiver like he does. Absolutely no pocket presence, and no spark. The guy is no good, and my name is not even Darth.

OH, GIVE ME A FREAKIN' BREAK!!!

Never saw a QB stare down receivers like 'he' does?!!?!?!?!??!?

Really? REALLY??!?!?!?

Funny thing is, I can remember a QB named Drew Bledsoe that was soooooo bad at this. And the one that followed him, JP something or other, was the same thing.

Never saw a QB stare down a WR like that....

sheesh...roll the footage!

OH, GIVE ME A FREAKIN' BREAK!!!

Never saw a QB stare down receivers like 'he' does?!!?!?!?!??!?

Really? REALLY??!?!?!?

Funny thing is, I can remember a QB named Drew Bledsoe that was soooooo bad at this. And the one that followed him, JP something or other, was the same thing.

Never saw a QB stare down a WR like that....

sheesh...roll the footage!

And the one before Bledsoe...and the one before him...

I'm not sure I've often seen in preseason the qualities you describe in a very young team like the Bills. On a young team where many jobs are open due to injury or lack of depth, I expect it will be a bunch of young guys running around somewhat overwhelmed and playing for themselves. There hasn't been much opportunity to develop a team attitude while guys are fighting for their own roster spots. And vets aren't going to overdo it because of the fear of injury - like we saw happen with Lynch and Jackson.

Now, if we don't see the things you describe by mid-season, then we have serious problems!

You make a fair point. Perhaps, I over emphasized my point a bit. I would ask you to evaluate the Redskin's performance. Preseason or otherwise, I believe they achieved what I was looking for from the Bills.