Schefter Tweet- Bills moving forward w/o Schobel

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From BB.com: "Bills GM Buddy Nix made it clear regarding Aaron Schobel’s career with the Bills. It’s over. “He will remain on our Reserve/Did Not Report list until he makes a decision about what he wants to do, whether it’s retire or if he might want to play somewhere else,” said Nix. If Schobel does want to play elsewhere, the Bills will then begin to explore trade options. It’s clear the Bills will not outright release him."

Glad to see the Bills just not cut him loose and give him a free pass to go where ever he wants to go.

Good to see Nix take this approach. Schobel's career with the Bills has been good and if he had decided that he would play one last season and then retire, then it would have been nice to have him. However, his indecision and resulting lack of commitment to the team must have forced Nix's hand. I am sure Nix wanted to end the uncertainty and move on.

Good for Nix and Co. to make a stand here, but the prospects of seeing Torbor, Maybin and Kelsay on the edge probably isn't causing any of the AFC East QBs to lose any sleep.

I want to believe this team can scrap its way to close to .500 but there's a real chance they're going to suck like the first Gregg year.

Our LBs aren't great but I don't see how Schobel would make them any better.

But they ALREADY ANNOUNCED THAT THEY WOULD?

All teams have to do is wait him out. The Bills will NOT pay him his $8 million. Only way to avoid that is trade or cut.

If he decides to not retire, then there will be multiple teams going after him. It would be smarter for most of those teams to just trade for him instead of losing a bidding war with him. So I doubt they will "wait him out."

But I am thinking he is just going to retire and stay retired.

Our LBs aren't great but I don't see how Schobel would make them any better.

You're saying a guy with 78 career sacks wouldn't help the current corps? It may not be a huge difference but it would be a difference for the better...

"Schobel said he is not planning to retire, but will take two weeks before making a decision. He did say if he does play, this would be his last NFL season."

I don't suppose there are many teams that want to pay 8mil for one season, especially since he hasn't been in camp and there is no indication how good of shape he's in. I wouldn't expect much in return. But, I'm probably wrong...

I don't suppose there are many teams that want to pay 8mil for one season, especially since he hasn't been in camp and there is no indication how good of shape he's in. I wouldn't expect much in return. But, I'm probably wrong...

Even a late round pick would be better than nothing.

You're saying a guy with 78 career sacks wouldn't help the current corps? It may not be a huge difference but it would be a difference for the better...

Depends how many sacks he has left, especially when he sits out camp and tried to rejoin a team with a completely new defense.

I also think it sends a message to the players in camp that the team now expects everyone to make a full commitment to winning. Before Dick Jauron would let anything go. Now Chan Gailey is saying winning takes hard work. If you won't work, you aren't committed to winning. To let Schobel skate by would negate everything Gailey has been teaching since OTAs started.

PTR

WTF?

One the one hand I see why, he needs to be in Camp if he wants to be on this team. But on the other, he's a proven player who is one of the few people we have who actually get to the QB. Check that, he's the only one who can!

It is what it is.

You mean Torbor and Maybin's combined career sack total of 6.5 isn't giving you the warm and fuzzies?

You don't think he could have rushed from the outside ala Bryce Paup?

Possibly, but there's more than just rushing the QB. I don't think his coverage skills would be that good. That's also why I don't like Kelsay starting at LB.

He got those as a lineman. Doesn't necessarily make him a good pass rushing LB.

Possibly, but there's more than just rushing the QB. I don't think his coverage skills would be that good. That's also why I don't like Kelsay starting at LB.

Bingo. I don't doubt his ability to rush the passer, but opposing offenses would probably have a field day designing ways to isolate him in coverage and expose that weakness.

He got those as a lineman. Doesn't necessarily make him a good pass rushing LB.

I guess I'm just taking the approach that he's probably the only proven commodity the Bills had at getting to the QB. Do I think he could play the 3-4? Yes. His bread and butter was speed to the outside which I think works and he's athletic enough to do the other things needed in underneath coverage.

Aside from Brian Moorman he's been the only other guy to be consistently near Pro Bowl level. You will not be able to convince me that this team is no worse off without him.

Schobel's approach is suspicious. So, he is definitely playing this year, but if his choice was between the Bills and retirement, he would have retired? Why didn't he just demand a trade?

Like every other prima donna (Peters, et al)? Not his style, IMO.

Schobel made it very clear this offseason in his choice of words and deeds that he didn't what to play his final year for yet another new coach/new system on a team that will be lucky to be 8-8. I'm not sure why today's announcement is any surprise at all.

Here is PFT's take on the matter:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...-aaron-schobel/

For those too lazy to click, they actually agree with the decision and give Nix some props for ending the drama.

I agree with this 100 percent.

Thumbs up to Buddy, I think we got a real GM now...for once.

I think if he would have come back he has way to much catching up to do and would slow the team down on D a bit.

Aaron should have showed up for the OTA's if he was really serious about learning a new position.

This also says alot about Ellis and the other LB's on the team right now. They think they can hold the fort down if one of the starters get hurt. We shall see.

I'm anticipating the Bills to save much more than that by the start of the regular season. I'm willing to bet that Kelsay, Mitchell, Schobel, McCargo and possibly Whitner will all be released.
Agreed as usual, bharami, but I think Lil Donte and Schobel would be traded to another team before they are released.