Rotoworld feels we made a terrible choice in passing on Clausen twice

I think you prove how opinions die hard. You convince yourself that Clausen was so good, and when reality shows he's not even going to make an NFL roster you still cling to the ideas that he's something special. What is the difference between you and the people making draft decisions for the Bills pre-Nix?

PTR

It was a sarcastic response but I guess you didn't get it. That's why I followed by saying he was a steal at pick 41.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Clausen was that good, there wouldn't be so much disparity in opinion about him. I don't understand how fans don't see that. There were enough red flags about the kid that taking him would have been a huge risk at #9.

But why not take him at #41, people ask, well I bet Nix and Gailey didn't like him more 2 hours later and felt that Troup was the better player.

Judging Clausen as a prospect in his junior year was not an easy task. He was playing on an injured foot which didn't heal until long after the season. Not taking the risk at the nine spot made a lot of sense. Did it make sense to take him at #41? The Bills staff didn't believe so. Nix and Gailey both made the comments that they felt that the qbs currently on the roster were as good if not better than Clausen. The bottom line is that it might take a few years to definitively come up with a fair assessment on our front office's decision on Clausen and our current qbs.

Judging Clausen as a prospect in his junior year was not an easy task. He was playing on an injured foot which didn't heal until long after the season. Not taking the risk at the nine spot made a lot of sense. Did it make sense to take him at #41? The Bills staff didn't believe so. Nix and Gailey both made the comments that they felt that the qbs currently on the roster were as good if not better than Clausen. The bottom line is that it might take a few years to definitively come up with a fair assessment on our front office's decision on Clausen and our current qbs.

That is correct, time will tell. Personally I watched a couple of games and he looked robotic, a very well trained athlete but one that would have a hard time improvising when the initial script of plays don't work.

Of course I could be dead wrong.

Jimmy is now like 3rd in line now yet he was a shame for the Bills to pass on twice?? Hmmm....

What? A rookie is only 3rd in line before training camp has started? They should cut him.

Let's revisit this issue in about five years. If Clausen is leading his team to the playoffs and the Bills are still foundering without a good QB than yes, it will have been a major mistake.

Let's revisit this issue in about five years. If Clausen is leading his team to the playoffs and the Bills are still foundering without good QB than yes, it will have been a major mistake.

I will guarantee that, from the perspective of five years from now, the Bills made at least one "major mistake" in the 2010 draft. Some player they drafted will be out of football while a different player that was on the board when the Bills drafted that useless player will have turned into a star pro bowler.

That is why discussions like this, though at times entertaining, are fundamentally idiotic. EVERY team's draft can be replayed, in retrospect, to show the team made a huge blunder in drafting X when Y was available.

Hindsight is always 20-20.

Brady Quinn was considered a better prospect. Just sayin'.

In fact, I remember the draft commentators criticizing the Bills heavily at the time for not drafting Quinn when they could have had this "future franchise QB."

Jimmy is now like 3rd in line now yet he was a shame for the Bills to pass on twice?? Hmmm....

3. Bills pass on Jimmy Clausen, twice 

Entering April's draft with the league's worst quarterback situation, the Bills had two chances to select pro-ready Jimmy Clausen. They passed both times, opting instead to bolster an already strong tailback corps with C.J. Spiller at No. 9, and taking raw nose tackle Torrell Troup 41st.

New coach Chan Gailey plans to hold a three-way QB competition in camp consisting of injury-prone Trent Edwards, draft bust Brian Brohm, and noodle-armed journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick.

http://m.nbcsports.com/s/showPage.do?siteI...icleId=38349607

IMO passing on Clausen was a good move. Since 2000 by my count there were 37 quaterbacks elected to the pro bowl. I couldn't find one that had a losing record in college. JC's record was 15-19.

What? A rookie is only 3rd in line before training camp has started? They should cut him.

Let's revisit this issue in about five years. If Clausen is leading his team to the playoffs and the Bills are still foundering without a good QB than yes, it will have been a major mistake.

But Clausen isn't just a rookie. He's a "franchise QB!!!" And KD, he's not losing to some veteran. He's losing out to two other rookies including one who was UDFA! Clausen is getting beat by a rookie UDFA and you still think we missed out on him???

PTR

In fact, I remember the draft commentators criticizing the Bills heavily at the time for not drafting Quinn when they could have had this "future franchise QB."

You could fill a bus with all the so-called franchise QB's the Bills didn't draft. Cutler, Quinn, Leinert, Clausen.....

PTR

Jim Kelly had the same issue.

The only differences being that Kelly had another league to turn to, and even more important, the Bills had a FO with testicles and took him anyway, knowing they would hold all the chips if he ever wanted to play in the NFL, at least for 4 years.

I will guarantee that, from the perspective of five years from now, the Bills made at least one "major mistake" in the 2010 draft. Some player they drafted will be out of football while a different player that was on the board when the Bills drafted that useless player will have turned into a star pro bowler.

I agree it's silly to play 'what if' with every draft pick, but they are in need of a QB so this decision is certainly worth looking back on. Especially since only a year ago they completely screwed up their first pick by passing on a great player at the position of biggest need.

But Clausen isn't just a rookie. He's a "franchise QB!!!" And KD, he's not losing to some veteran. He's losing out to two other rookies including one who was UDFA! Clausen is getting beat by a rookie UDFA and you still think we missed out on him???

Like I said, ask me in five years, not before the guy's first training camp! And for the record, I never advocated drafting him.

You could fill a bus with all the so-called franchise QB's the Bills didn't draft. Cutler, Quinn, Leinert, Clausen.....

PTR

That will always be a two sided argument that could go on forever, since they passed on Drew Brees, Joe Flacco, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers just to name a few. But so did other teams, that argument can go either way for probably any team in the NFL. Brady wasn't thought of as a franchse QB going into the draft but the other 3 were without a doubt.

No, what I'm saying is that finding a better NT than a "great one" is a lot more difficult than finding a better QB than "an above average one." Although it depends on who (playing now) you would consider "above average." Although whether Clausen is even an average, much less above average, QB remains to be seen.

I'll take "above average QBs" Flacco, Ryan, McNabb, Palmer...

You can have the "greatest NT" in the league--whoever you feel that is (how can you tell?). Y

I think you prove how opinions die hard. You convince yourself that Clausen was so good, and when reality shows he's not even going to make an NFL roster you still cling to the ideas that he's something special. What is the difference between you and the people making draft decisions for the Bills pre-Nix?

PTR

Wow, Clausen's not even going to make a roster? Is that not your "diehard opinion"? When did "reality show" he's not going to make a roster?

I'll take "above average QBs" Flacco, Ryan, McNabb, Palmer...

You can have the "greatest NT" in the league--whoever you feel that is (how can you tell?). Y

Wow, Clausen's not even going to make a roster? Is that not your "diehard opinion"? When did "reality show" he's not going to make a roster?

Has there ever been a QB taken in the first couple rounds ever that didn't make an NFL roster? That would be like a team admitting there mistake before they have a chance to see if it was a mistake. Never gonna happen, in fact Clausen will be starting before the year is over in Carolina, if not sooner than later.

I saw the story. I am so desperate for a legitimate QB that maybe it has clouded my judgement. Nevertheless, I still think he was a steal at pick 41.

Side note: Funny how some are so ready eager to write off Clausen but yet the very same people are on the Brian Brohm bandwagon....(promo I am not saying your on the BB bandwagon)

well, whats wrong with that? I am a Brohm supporter and he could very well turn out to be great. And he didn't cost us a high draft pic. clausen may or may not turn out to be good. If your judgement is clouded and you're so desperate for a legitimate qb, why not jump on the BB bandwagon as it's better for the team if he works out?

With all this Clausen loving/bashing it feels like spring again!

So damn true. And it sucks. Can't wait for someone to take the bull by the horns and run with it.(Brohm is my choice for all of those who may have missed that)

I think the main thing is in the whole 9 vs 41 vs not at all debate -- as a coach and gm, any qb taken in the first two rounds you sink or swim with. If you believe in a qb, you take him at 9 even if hes rated lower, if you dont believe hes your franchise, you dont take him at 41 either, even if its value.

A guy like Troupe wont be your own career on the line, a guy like claussen is.... so if you dont want to hitch your wagon to him, you just have to stay away unless he somehow falls to 3 or later (see edwards here, or mccoy in cleveland) and suddenly its not a make or break pick.