Rotoworld feels we made a terrible choice in passing on Clausen twice

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes free speech, as does religious freedom, goes too far. Do want a terrorist haven mosque built across the street from your home? Get yourself involved in America folks. ... or there will be no more opportunities for amateur whack jobs to write articles such as Roto Rootor World to beg for replies of mastery (such as this). No, you'll smell like rancid sheep meat and have a pubic beard and dress in a sheet... and treat your woman worse than you already do. Then you'll take one for the team.

This is just plain butt-stupid bigotry. Ugly, small-minded, and ignorant.

That pretty much sums it up. But I think he already has copped to that.

I kinda got hold of some bad acid and didn't come down for 2 weeks, the beard / sheets part had to come up from what I remember. There was this "I am Jesus" part & the garage roof mixed in, so I can midly relate to this guy.

I kinda got hold of some bad acid and didn't come down for 2 weeks, the beard / sheets part had to come up from what I remember. There was this "I am Jesus" part & the garage roof mixed in, so I can midly relate to this guy.

What a bummer.

"Draftniks" are painfully short sighted, and cannot/will not take the long term plan of a franchise into consideration. Even if our stable of QBs fail and Clausen succeeds, in the long term all will be well if Troup and Spiller pan out, and we select a QB early next year with more potential than Clausen. If the FO didn't like him they had their reasons, and it would have been a mistake to take him to appease the masses.

What draftniks are unable to do is admit reality. When the people they blow smoke about get ignored by the real NFL guys, they act like the teams 'effed up, not them.

PTR

"Draftniks" are painfully short sighted, and cannot/will not take the long term plan of a franchise into consideration. Even if our stable of QBs fail and Clausen succeeds, in the long term all will be well if Troup and Spiller pan out, and we select a QB early next year with more potential than Clausen. If the FO didn't like him they had their reasons, and it would have been a mistake to take him to appease the masses.

Good point but the problem I have is who knows if that QB will be avaiable next year, who knows if the Bills will select a QB, and who knows if they will select the correct QB? Lots of questions and nothing is for sure. IMO, the wait til next year QB statement is flawed.

I totally supported the Bills when they didn't select Clausen with the 9th pick overall pick. But, with the 41st pick Clausen was a no brainer and the Bills blew it. They still could have drafted their N/T is the latter rounds. Personally, I would love to have seen Clausen start for us this season than any of the bums we have now.

I totally supported the Bills when they didn't select Clausen with the 9th pick overall pick. But, with the 41st pick Clausen was a no brainer and the Bills blew it. They still could have drafted their N/T is the latter rounds. Personally, I would love to have seen Clausen start for us this season than any of the bums we have now.

I guess you missed all the news stories how Jimmy-boy will be lucky to be the #3 QB on a team with even less QB talent than the Bills. He's behind a UDFA for the backup QB slot! Tell us again how we blew it. :rolleyes: What we missed was the chance to have another draft bust.

PTR

I guess you missed all the news stories how Jimmy-boy will be lucky to be the #3 QB on a team with even less QB talent than the Bills. He's behind a UDFA for the backup QB slot! Tell us again how we blew it. :rolleyes:What we missed was the chance to have another draft bust.

PTR

I saw the story. I am so desperate for a legitimate QB that maybe it has clouded my judgement. Nevertheless, I still think he was a steal at pick 41.

Side note: Funny how some are so ready eager to write off Clausen but yet the very same people are on the Brian Brohm bandwagon....(promo I am not saying your on the BB bandwagon)

I liked Clausen a lot I really did and I think its a greater then 50% chance he will be a above average NFL QB. But I really liked the Troup and think he will be a very good NT for us in the future. All in all I wish we traded down (If there was a trade down available) to get an extra second round pick and still be in the early 20's pick wise and take Bulaga (Try him at LT then if he is just a RT it was still a good spot to take a RT) and use the extra pick on Clausen.

But I guess that's all after the fact mumbo jumbo.

It's a need for the Bills so they made a mistake passing on a guy I liked. :rolleyes: We'll see how Clausen works out.

We'll see how Spiller and Troupe work out too.

One thing's for sure, they don't play QB.

I think it was stupid and irresponsible to pass on Claussen too, especially in round 2.

I guess you missed all the news stories how Jimmy-boy will be lucky to be the #3 QB on a team with even less QB talent than the Bills. He's behind a UDFA for the backup QB slot! Tell us again how we blew it. :rolleyes: What we missed was the chance to have another draft bust.

PTR

Actually, we once again have a decent chance to have another draft bust. So far all that Spiller has proven is that he can return kicks and catch balls. It's not as if he's some sort of prolific rusher. But we don't have a QB to get him the ball well and we have kick returners coming out of our ears.

Jimmy is now like 3rd in line now yet he was a shame for the Bills to pass on twice?? Hmmm....

3. Bills pass on Jimmy Clausen, twice 

Entering April's draft with the league's worst quarterback situation, the Bills had two chances to select pro-ready Jimmy Clausen. They passed both times, opting instead to bolster an already strong tailback corps with C.J. Spiller at No. 9, and taking raw nose tackle Torrell Troup 41st.

New coach Chan Gailey plans to hold a three-way QB competition in camp consisting of injury-prone Trent Edwards, draft bust Brian Brohm, and noodle-armed journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick.

http://m.nbcsports.com/s/showPage.do?siteI...icleId=38349607

He's the only rookie on the team. You would absolutely expect him to start the season as the third-stringer, not the second. If he's still third-string next year, it will mean something. Not this year. That team has a chance to be decent, or at least they think so, so they're going to look at the QBs not in terms of who do we want to develop for the future but in terms of who has the best chance to win us games this year. And a guy with a year of experience in the system ABSOLUTELY has the better chance this year to win games.

I agree that we made a terrible choice passing on Clausen, particularly in the second.

We'll see, but if in three years, Trent, Fitz and Brohm are out of the league or backups somewhere and Clausen is becoming a franchise QB then we absolutely will have made a big ole mistake, no question about it. Personally, that's the way I think it's going to turn out.

The whole league passed on him, some a few times so some word was out that there was a hangup with him of some kind. I guess all the teams are crazy.

That argument is massively simplistic, so much so as to be ridiculous.

We passed on Bulaga, Brandon Graham and Dez Bryant. Did that mean we heard there was a hangup? Or did it must mean that we liked Spiller better? We passed on Mike Iupati. Think we did that because we figured he's going to suck? Or could it be that we have a first and a second rounder at guard and don't need another, and that we figured that in our situation, we could do something that might be better for a team with our roster and needs?

You know who we passed on in the first? Torell Troup. Did we do that because we thought he would suck? You know who we passed on twice? Alex Carrington. Did we pass on him twice because we heard there was a hangup?

We passed twice on Rob Gronkowski. Couldn't be because we didn't have a screaming need at TE compared to our need at NT, could it? We passed twice on Kindle. That means we think he'll suck?

Sorry, this argument simply makes no sense whatsoever. Teams pass on or pick guys for a whole spectrum of reasons including their needs, the system they use and how well players will fit into it, how soon they need to win, who is already on their team, personality and how well guys will fit into the organism that is their team, team priorities ... not to mention irrational prejudices and, simply, horrendous mistakes. It goes on and on.

We passed on Freeney a few years ago. How horrible did he turn out to be? We snapped up Mike Williams instead.

And if we pick a QB next year who doesn't pan out while Clausen does? Or if we pick a QB next year who is still struggling in his third year and we don't know if he'll ever be a franchise guy while in Clausen's fourth year, the light goes on? And the rest of our roster is playoff-ready, but our still-cooking young guy doesn't let us get into the playoffs?

Yet again, there's NO EVIDENCE whatsoever that the FO didn't like Clausen.

They said over and over they thought that our three guys had no chance last year under the circumstances and deserved a shot. And if Clausen turns out and so do Troup and Spiller, but Trent, Fitz and Brohm don't, passing on Clausen in the second and having to use the next year's first will have been a mistake.

If they didn't like any of the remaining QB's, they didn't like them. If they decided next year's QB crop is much better than what was there this year, that is their choice.

I am sure rotoworld thought Indy made a terrible choice passing on Ryan Leaf too...

They haven't spent the resources on studying next year's QBs that they did with guys who were coming out. Having done so would have been criminally stupid. You don't evaluate a guy without looking at how he does in his last season. That would be moronic.

There's no way to know what will happen to these guys in their last seasons. They could get much better or much worse. They could be thrown in jail for murder. Who knows. But you can bet that the FO wasn't doing any more than cursory or casual work on guys who weren't coming out.

You folks are assuming stuff about the FO's thought processes that either don't make sense or have no supporing evidence to suggest they're true.

The knock on him was that he was an awesomely arrogant prick. Imagine DC Tom as your quarterback.

Clausen showed up to one game in a limo, apart from the team, without telling them, if i remember correctly. His teammates didnt like him. A major concern was his ability to get along with his teammates.

1) You don't remember correctly. Look it up.

2) There's no evidence whatsoever his teammates didn't like him and tons of evidence to suggest that they did. Yet people who hate Clausen have assumed over and over that his teammates hate him. Directly against the evidence.

Find a link to one Notre Dame player saying he didn't like Clausen, not speculation, but one player saying it. That would definitely prove the point.