Rotoworld feels we made a terrible choice in passing on Clausen twice

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on The Dean. You're better than that. Let's not split hairs here.

What? That's not splitting hairs at all, IMO.

An above average NFL starter is far different than an above average NFL player, especially at the QB position. I wasn't dissing anyone, or pulling a "gotcha", if that's what you thought. I was just trying to clarify what I was reading in various posts.

What? That's not splitting hairs at all, IMO.

An above average NFL starter is far different than an above average NFL player, especially at the QB position. I wasn't dissing anyone, or pulling a "gotcha", if that's what you thought. I was just trying to clarify what I was reading in various posts.

Fair enough, and I'll even agree with you. If we are counting all the second and third string QBs in the league I'll put Campbell in the top half. If we're just talking starters, not even close.

If Clausen is still the third stringer going into next season, it will be a major signal that he's not likely to make it. But even if I loved Clausen, if I were a coach, THIS YEAR I would be very likely to put him third if I had a decent second-year man. Rookie QBs make huge mistakes.

If I expected my team to suck, I'd give Clausen as much time as I could. But the Jags think they have a playoff shot this year. Third-stringer is where you would expect Clausen to be, even if you and the team loved him, particularly so early in the season.

This is a hilarious post. Because here you are talking about giving Clausen time to learn on the bench when we all know he'd be expected to start ASAP if the Bills drafted him. Then when he throws his first INT in an exhibition game we'd all be declaring him a bust and a wasted pick.

PTR

Maybin barely saw the field last year, yet he was somehow labeled some type of bust last after last season. Normally, first year folks on the line don't do too much, especially if they don't get played.

Clausen would not be given the time here to learn in Buffalo, not a chance.

Your arguments are usually sound but I'm afraid you're off on this one. Jason Campbell has an above average arm and above average stats, but is an average to below average player.

There's a reason the Redskins were quick to jettison a young QB with above average stats. They know it's a mirage. He can't handle pressure, and consistently folds in clutch situations.

I wonder if that statement can be applied to TE, Fitz, and BB.

I wonder if that statement can be applied to TE, Fitz, and BB.

What clutch situation could the 3 of them get us into?? Handing a ball off 69% of the time doesn't make them a determining factor. I would expect it to stay pretty close to that.

So you agree I'm right. Great. See you on the boards.

I don't agree with you that the Bills passing on Claussen was a mistake. I'm just pointing out that you are trying to gin up your difference of opinion into some revelation of Nix and Gailey's incompetence based on that you THINK will be true in five years.

The whole league passed on him, some a few times so some word was out that there was a hangup with him of some kind. I guess all the teams are crazy.

Yeah, he has the notoriety of being a bit abrasive at times and bossy. He was getting a little cocky when arrived during NFL mini-camp as well, and this was not well received by some of his teammates. Otherwise, he has most of the intangibles and physical abilities that you look for in a NFL QB..especially being groomed in a pro-style offense.

It seems to me that several years ago, there was an aggressive, cocky QB that arrived at the Buffalo Airport named Jim Kelly. He originally didn't want to play here and tried to avoid it, got into personal conflicts with some of the players who became known as the "Bickering Bills", and became the most legendary QB in Buffalo Bills history.

I think we made a "memorable", but terrible decison on passing on Jimmy Clausen in the draft. I think time will prove this to be the case as there was little risk considering we have practically nothing at the position, and we made a luxury pick at the RB position which was likely unneccesary. Could you imagine the Season's anticipation if we would have selected a Left tackle like Bryan Bulaga, or Anthony Davis in the 1st round, and Jimmy Claussen in the 2nd round, and then selected Troup in the 3rd who probably would have been there anyways. Also, we selected 2 DE's in the draft, Maybin DE last year, and Chris Ellis at DE they year before! Yet we passed on Brian Orakapo 2 yrs ago! I sure can see why we haven't improved any in the past 10 years!

If we had Orakapo, Claussen, and Bulaga or A. Davis instead of some of the players we selected I would feel like we are heading into the right direction. Also, why the heck is Tom Modrak here???? Does anyone know??? Isn't 10 yrs of dismal

drafting enough???

This draft may or may not end up great, I for one really liked it.

Yeah, he has the notoriety of being a bit abrasive at times and bossy. He was getting a little cocky when arrived during NFL mini-camp as well, and this was not well received by some of his teammates. Otherwise, he has most of the intangibles and physical abilities that you look for in a NFL QB..especially being groomed in a pro-style offense.

It seems to me that several years ago, there was an aggressive, cocky QB that arrived at the Buffalo Airport named Jim Kelly. He originally didn't want to play here and tried to avoid it, got into personal conflicts with some of the players who became known as the "Bickering Bills", and became the most legendary QB in Buffalo Bills history.

I think we made a "memorable", but terrible decison on passing on Jimmy Clausen in the draft. I think time will prove this to be the case as there was little risk considering we have practically nothing at the position, and we made a luxury pick at the RB position which was likely unneccesary. Could you imagine the Season's anticipation if we would have selected a Left tackle like Bryan Bulaga, or Anthony Davis in the 1st round, and Jimmy Claussen in the 2nd round, and then selected Troup in the 3rd who probably would have been there anyways. Also, we selected 2 DE's in the draft, Maybin DE last year, and Chris Ellis at DE they year before! Yet we passed on Brian Orakapo 2 yrs ago! I sure can see why we haven't improved any in the past 10 years!

If we had Orakapo, Claussen, and Bulaga or A. Davis instead of some of the players we selected I would feel like we are heading into the right direction. Also, why the heck is Tom Modrak here???? Does anyone know??? Isn't 10 yrs of dismal

drafting enough???

Here we go again. You are right that Clausen hasn't proven that he can or can't play in the league. There is a good reason for that. He hasn't played yet. The same logic applys to all rookies. :w00t:
News Flash! Nobody taken in the 2010 draft has proven they can play in the NFL yet.
Yyyyyyeah. So we shouldn't draft any QBs? No rookie in the history of the league that I know of - wait, wait, Jim Thorpe maybe, but he's the only one I can think of - has proven he can play in the NFL before the draft or before the first training camp or before the first game of his rookie season.

What I'm saying is that if there were a way to identify a good QB, I'd be all for taking him in the 1st or 2nd round. But we don't know if Clausen will be one, and 32 other teams passed on him at least once. Time will tell who was right.

:)

I don't agree with you that the Bills passing on Claussen was a mistake. I'm just pointing out that you are trying to gin up your difference of opinion into some revelation of Nix and Gailey's incompetence based on that you THINK will be true in five years.