George Wilson

Thoner7

...Was graded out as the 3rd best safety in the league by Pro Football Focus

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

Now I have no idea how they do their grading, but at least IMO George Wilson was our best player on the D last season second maybe K. Williams. I know most people see Byrds 9 plays that resulted in interceptions, but play for play G. Wilson was a total stud last season. I fully expect him to start this season - something other fans Im sure gawk at.

From reading these forums I dont think many other posters think as highly of GW as I do, so I just wanted to post that link.

PS I would LOVE to see our nickle package include Byrd/Wilson/Whitner again this year instead of a third CB - we used that a lot last year with the injuries but I think it worked very well.

It is the total coverage that makes those INT's. We are changing in 2010 but if we can still get Byrd to find those balls while having our DB's keep their coverage than we will continue to post a dominate backfield. George Wilson is key to our defensive pass protection and I cannot be more proud that we have the senator.

Now I have no idea how they do their grading, but at least IMO George Wilson was our best player on the D last season second maybe K. Williams. I know most people see Byrds 9 plays that resulted in interceptions, but play for play G. Wilson was a total stud last season. I fully expect him to start this season - something other fans Im sure gawk at.

From reading these forums I dont think many other posters think as highly of GW as I do, so I just wanted to post that link.

PS I would LOVE to see our nickle package include Byrd/Wilson/Whitner again this year instead of a third CB - we used that a lot last year with the injuries but I think it worked very well.

Could someone please tell us what Madden thinks of this? :rolleyes:

Exactly. And if he's doing anything else other than filling up water bottles on the sidelines this year, he'll still have that problem.

We need him to step up this year and hit like a sledgehammer on every play, when he gets his shots.

From ESPN.go, the Madden 11 overall ratings for our DBs

J. Byrd FS 87

McGee CB 83

Whitner SS 83

McKelvin CB 81

Scott SS 80

Wilson FS 72

Florence CB 68

Youboty CB 65

Corner CB 63

Lankster CB 61

It would be great if no one ever brought up "Madden" again with respect to the Bills, and the evaluation of their talent.

But then again, old timers could begin to bring up Strat-o-matic Football ratings (for those who might have played the game when they were young).

For crying out loud, they're games first and foremost!

I've seen a few write-ups that claim something similar to this. Don't get me wrong, I liek Wilson and thought he had a hell of a year last year, but I'd take either of Whitner or Scott on the field before Wilson unless you knew it was going to be a pass. Wilson is a fine player, but something tells me that if he started and the offense had some film on him, he wouldn't look as good as he did last year. Maybe I'm wrong...

I do agree that I'd love to see Byrd/Whitner/Wilson in the sub package, but for the most part I think the guys in our secondary are good to the point that it doesn't really matter which of the top 7 or 8 players go in the sub package.

To the idea of sub packages, I think to be effective this year on defense, they are going to have to put players in position to succeed based on what they do best situationally. By that I mean that if Wilson plays the pass really well, along with Byrd in centerfield, then he should play in obvious passing downs instead of whoever the "starter" is. This goes the same for all different situations and all the players.

Back to your point in the original post about who should start, I don't think it'll make any difference because they'll all play. I would love to see the defense be ballsy enough to change the lineup slightly from week to week depending on who we were playing and what their strengths are (i.e. outcoaching someone for a change).

Here's what, you know, actual scouts think of George Wilson:

2009 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 55 | Key

Comment: Wilson has provided valuable depth to the Bills' safety position. He has good size, strength and power, but is only an above-average athlete. He is a better run-defender than coverage player because he doesn't have great burst or lateral agility to play man coverage. However, he does have decent range out of centerfield in run support. Wilson leverages the ball well and is a solid wrap tackler with pop and power on contact. He is decent when blitzing, but may be best filling the alley or playing zone coverage in the deep half. Wilson is also a solid special teams contributor and doesn't appear to have enough tools to develop into a starter. His size, toughness and instincts make him valuable on the free-agent market, but only as a backup.

From ESPN.go, the Madden 11 overall ratings for our DBs

J. Byrd FS 87

McGee CB 83

Whitner SS 83

McKelvin CB 81

Scott SS 80

Wilson FS 72

Florence CB 68

Youboty CB 65

Corner CB 63

Lankster CB 61

Like-a-um, like-a-um, like-a-um, like-a-um, these rankings are horseshit.

I've seen a few write-ups that claim something similar to this. Don't get me wrong, I liek Wilson and thought he had a hell of a year last year, but I'd take either of Whitner or Scott on the field before Wilson unless you knew it was going to be a pass. Wilson is a fine player, but something tells me that if he started and the offense had some film on him, he wouldn't look as good as he did last year. Maybe I'm wrong...

You could very well be right but in my opinion Wilson looked better than Donte has ever looked, with far less playing time, and he deserves a right to challenge for the spot!