kyle calloway

They are replaying last years meeting between Iowa and PSU on the Big Ten Channel right now, so i thought id check out a Kyle Calloway random performance and give yall a report on it.

I gotta tell you, i couldnt have been much more impressed. So far i havent seen him get beat. Always in position, athletic, more than powerful enough, stays balanced. The guy really looks like a thoroughbred out there. He was playing at a level above anybody i saw them try to match up against him.

Im aware that its just one random sampling of a performance, and im not saying he should start, (although im sure he'll get some reps). But i can see him being the type of quality guy that could be our long term answer at right tackle when the time is right.

This has been Marsy reporting,

good night and good luck

They are replaying last years meeting between Iowa and PSU on the Big Ten Channel right now, so i thought id check out a Kyle Calloway random performance and give yall a report on it.

I gotta tell you, i couldnt have been much more impressed. So far i havent seen him get beat. Always in position, athletic, more than powerful enough, stays balanced. The guy really looks like a thoroughbred out there. He was playing at a level above anybody i saw them try to match up against him.

Im aware that its just one random sampling of a performance, and im not saying he should start, (although im sure he'll get some reps). But i can see him being the type of quality guy that could be our long term answer at right tackle when the time is right.

good night and good luck

Awesome, thanks for letting us know what you saw of Calloway. I'm surprised he slid as far as he did in the draft. I think he's a good addition to our team.

Thanks for the insight Edward R. Murrow :)

good night and good luck

Question is did you watch the film and break it down from an unbiased viewpoint?

Hard to be unbiased when he is on our team and we want him to be successful.

I hope he was the "steal of the draft."

Thanks for the info.

Everything pre-draft had him listed as a 3rd-4th round prospect, has there been any word as to why he fell to the 7th? Scooter DUI?

He probably was a legitmate 3rd or 4th round graded prospect. Because of the impending re-opening of the CBA there was a large infusion of underclassmen who were worried that the contract parameters for the next rookie class would be much more restrictive. Thus there was a very large pool of players in this year's draft.

The LT for Texas, Utilowski (sic), who was similarly rated to Calloway was not even drafted. I believe he was signed by Houston as a free agent draftee.

Thanks for the info. I started watching the game after your post. I was very impressed. He is one big, strong dude. I like the way he kept going and plowed players out of the way on the late rushing TD (apparently the 1st rushing TD allowed by Penn State in 4 games) because after his initial block he kept going and the runner came back his way again and he just steamrolled another player.

Like I said he is really big and does a good job sealing the inside, and look forward to Spiller running behind this guy. Can't really expect a lot from a first year O lineman, but maybe this guy was a steal? We can hope. :)

There is a reason Bulaga went in the 1st and Calloway in the 7th. Just to let you know, it was not the DUI. Bulaga is the better OT prospect. Does that mean that Bulaga will be the better NFL player? No, but I'm sure every NFL scout would tell you the same thing about the reasons they went where they did in the draft.

He probably was a legitmate 3rd or 4th round graded prospect. Because of the impending re-opening of the CBA there was a large infusion of underclassmen who were worried that the contract parameters for the next rookie class would be much more restrictive. Thus there was a very large pool of players in this year's draft.

The LT for Texas, Utilowski (sic), who was similarly rated to Calloway was not even drafted. I believe he was signed by Houston as a free agent draftee.

right tackles are a lower priority on draft day, many teams move a lt prospect to rt.

Calloway looks like he was drafted right around where he should have been.

Ultimately, what's really the difference between a tackle taken in the 4th and one taken in the 7th?

The draft is a crapshoot in the higher rounds. By the middle and late rounds teams are simply making educated guesses.

You can see Calloway understands blocking schemes really well. All the allegations about Kirk Ferentz and his ability to turn out NFL linemen appear to be true. Calloway looks well-coached.

On the other hand you can clearly see (and it looks like Northwestern had lots of athletic D-linemen) that Calloway is just an average athlete with average feet. You can see where he gets bull rushed when he doesn't get his pad level down (the old bend at the knees and sink your hips thing). You can see where he has a hard time changing direction in space. He reaches and misses a lot. On the positive side, once he gets his hands on the defender, it's all over. And he plays to the whistle and has a mean streak.

There's actually tons of Calloway stuff on YouTube. In one, he plays right guard against Georgia Tech. I still think he projects to guard in the NFL.

Calloway looks like he was drafted right around where he should have been.

Ultimately, what's really the difference between a tackle taken in the 4th and one taken in the 7th?

The draft is a crapshoot in the higher rounds. By the middle and late rounds teams are simply making educated guesses.

You can see Calloway understands blocking schemes really well. All the allegations about Kirk Ferentz and his ability to turn out NFL linemen appear to be true. Calloway looks well-coached.

On the other hand you can clearly see (and it looks like Northwestern had lots of athletic D-linemen) that Calloway is just an average athlete with average feet. You can see where he gets bull rushed when he doesn't get his pad level down (the old bend at the knees and sink your hips thing). You can see where he has a hard time changing direction in space. He reaches and misses a lot. On the positive side, once he gets his hands on the defender, it's all over. And he plays to the whistle and has a mean streak.

There's actually tons of Calloway stuff on YouTube. In one, he plays right guard against Georgia Tech. I still think he projects to guard in the NFL.

Cue the "Woods is a bust" crowd in 3, 2, 1... :)

Cue the "Woods is a bust" crowd in 3, 2, 1... :)

More likely the "Woods should be moved to center" crowd. Then Calloway would be one of the candidates to move into his vacated right guard spot.

But anyways, early indications are that the Bills, while it was stated that they drafted Calloway to play guard…liked what they've seen from him so far and are still keeping him in play as a right tackle. It appears that they like him even better in person than they did on game tape

I am trying to imagine you breaking down this film and this is what I am picturing:

You sitting "indian style", buck naked, with a warm Genesee Cream Ale in one hand and BBQ pork rinds in the other.

Am I close?

There is no doubt he belongs at guard in the NFL (as of right now anyway). He looks a little sloppy playing in space or the edge. Beign Physical in the run game is without question his strong point. Now in videos I have seen some glimpses of wood playing center, (now this is pure specualtion) but if Callaway shows that he is an improvement over Hartgarner Im thinking Wood will slide to center (his college postion) and Callaway will come in at RG. Im thinking the kid needs alot of polish first though.

Calloway was ranked way, way higher than Wang, whom some have fallen in love with around here.

I'm not gonna argue with you.

For one thing, I'm not a scout or anything like that.

But I will say that Wang appears to have much better feet than Calloway and that's probably what scouts and personnel guys notice right off the bat.

Wang has a chance to be an average to good left tackle because he seems able to move well in space.

Calloway on the other hand, looks awkward and stiff in space.

And as far as rankings, there are lots of rankings, many are spawned by simply parroting other more authoritative rankings.

Then there's the fact that Calloway was drafted in the 7th round. That gives a good indication of how most NFL teams felt about him.

As for Wang, the question becomes, if the Bills hadn't drafted him, where would he have been selected?

More likely the "Woods should be moved to center" crowd. Then Calloway would be one of the candidates to move into his vacated right guard spot.

But anyways, early indications are that the Bills, while it was stated that they drafted Calloway to play guard…liked what they've seen from him so far and are still keeping him in play as a right tackle. It appears that they like him even better in person than they did on game tape

he did dominate at guard in the orange bowl, the other linemen were all a few yards off the line while he was consistantly standing up dt's at the line. encouraging that a man of his size and on field attitude can play at least three positions along the line, a young kirk chambers if nothing else.

he was a military kid who finally settled in arizona for the last high school seasons, likely dropping his recuriment from said school. the fact that he was moved from left tackle to right would normally be seen as a slap, however brian bulaga is really good and looks like a sure starter in the nfl, possible allpro.

i like the idea of wood sliding in next year, with calloway manning the inside and jamon meredith on the rt. if that line jelled, its young and solid as long as holdemetrius bell pans out.

Yeah a lot of guys slid in this years draft. It was a good year to have a full selection of picks guys like Calloway would have went in the 4-5th round and its not just guys the Bills picked up either a lot of other teams were able to get great value out of their 4-7th round picks that normally wouldn't have been there in years were underclassmen weren't rushing in to get in before a new CBA.

Everything pre-draft had him listed as a 3rd-4th round prospect, has there been any word as to why he fell to the 7th? Scooter DUI?

My guess is that his position/grade and DUI combined did it

he was touted as a RT only, so that drops him into the 3rd almost automatically, but he wasnt the top rated RT, more like 3-5th rated pure RT, so again that drops him to around the 5th, then comes the DUI, and my guess is that was the nail in the coffin that solidified him into a 7th rd pick.

The kid is talented thats for sure, hopefully he can contribute this yr, bif not I am confident he'll get in the lineup next yr, either way, He looks like a great late rd pick up for Us.

Yeah a lot of guys slid in this years draft. It was a good year to have a full selection of picks guys like Calloway would have went in the 4-5th round and its not just guys the Bills picked up either a lot of other teams were able to get great value out of their 4-7th round picks that normally wouldn't have been there in years were underclassmen weren't rushing in to get in before a new CBA.

People keep saying that we are not addressing our offensive line......

but that is not true.....we drafted a center (that we played at guard) and LG high.....and this year they got Calloway who I thought should have been much higher.....

What we really have in Bills camp is a plethora of guys that can play Guard, Center, and RT.......and a question mark at LT....but YOU CANT FIX EVERYTHING IN ONE DRAFT

Why isn't Woods at center?

good night and good luck

Sounds great. Thanks for the report.

That sounds like it might be right, but isn't actually true.

This year, in the 2010 draft, 53 guys declared.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1274359...-2010-nfl-draft

In 2009, there were 46

http://profootball.scout.com/2/829665.html

In 2008, 54

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/10563731

In 2007, 40 (see above)

In other words, this draft may have been slightly above average, but it certainly wasn't unusual, and kidding ourselves that the difference between the low in the last few years, 40, and last year's total, 53, allowed tons of unusually great picks in the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds, well, it's clearly just wrong.

As usual, the great majority of guys coming out based their decisions on their own situation and where they thought they would go and if they thought they were ready, same as every other year.

People keep saying that we are not addressing our offensive line......

but that is not true.....we drafted a center (that we played at guard) and LG high.....and this year they got Calloway who I thought should have been much higher.....

What we really have in Bills camp is a plethora of guys that can play Guard, Center, and RT.......and a question mark at LT....but YOU CANT FIX EVERYTHING IN ONE DRAFT

John, are you kidding? Nobody said we weren't addressing our OL in 2009, the year we used a first and a second on the o-line. Nobody. Now, did they say it this year? Yup, and they were right. Fifth and seventh rounders are virtually always project players, and that's what it looks like with Wang and Calloway.

You can't fix everything in one draft, granted, but if you have a huge, monstrous need (LT and QB), and you don't address it, you have to expect criticism and the criticism is warranted.

I believe Calloway ran a VERY slow 40 and that is why he slid. It is also probably the reason he projected to guard; scouts don't think he has the speed to play tackle. But if Green can't cut it, he may be the best option for us at right tackle. Hopefully he will be better than the 'other Kirk' Chambers.

I am trying to imagine you breaking down this film and this is what I am picturing:

You sitting "indian style", buck naked, with a warm Genesee Cream Ale in one hand and BBQ pork rinds in the other.

Am I close?

and yer naked mother on her way back from the fridge with another genessee

Thanks for the info. I started watching the game after your post. I was very impressed. He is one big, strong dude. I like the way he kept going and plowed players out of the way on the late rushing TD (apparently the 1st rushing TD allowed by Penn State in 4 games) because after his initial block he kept going and the runner came back his way again and he just steamrolled another player.

Like I said he is really big and does a good job sealing the inside, and look forward to Spiller running behind this guy. Can't really expect a lot from a first year O lineman, but maybe this guy was a steal? We can hope. :devil:

We need lots of those types in Buffalo. That should be our identity. If Spiller/Jackson/Lynch/our offense wants to have any success we need to improve upfront.

the Bills are notorious at getting more out of fifth and seventh rounders than they are at first and second rounders ( see kyle williams vs mccargo, brad butler vs mike wiliams)..even undrafted FAs tend to be better than our higher picks... ie big pat, george wilson, freddy, jason peepee, jim leonard

calloway is a project, however you cant teach 6'7, 325 and nasty. looked good at tackle but was almost dominant at guard in the orange bowl

John, are you kidding? Nobody said we weren't addressing our OL in 2009, the year we used a first and a second on the o-line. Nobody. Now, did they say it this year? Yup, and they were right. Fifth and seventh rounders are virtually always project players, and that's what it looks like with Wang and Calloway.

You can't fix everything in one draft, granted, but if you have a huge, monstrous need (LT and QB), and you don't address it, you have to expect criticism and the criticism is warranted.

Actually Thurmal people were saying it last year because of the whole Jason Peters thing.....a LOT of people were saying we didn't address O line enough.....

This year we used high picks to address DEFENSIVE line....which were every bit as big a need due to the 3 - 4 switch. We did not have the hogs to make that work so we took a true NT and a legit sized DE with high picks.....

I am not completely happy with what they have done as I think we should have brought in a free agent LT......but I cannot say they are not addressing the big men down front because they are.

In this draft, the Bills would have had a shot at the 3rd-best LT prospect. And rookie LT's coming in and dominating immediately are rare. Better to give Meredith a shot first.

In this draft, the Bills would have had a shot at the 3rd-best LT prospect. And rookie LT's coming in and dominating immediately are rare. Better to give Meredith a shot first.

Yeah I agree with that philosophy.....there was the LT out of USC but he is like a John Fina type player to me.....and if we take him then we dont get the NT we want......

Yeah I agree with that philosophy.....there was the LT out of USC but he is like a John Fina type player to me.....and if we take him then we dont get the NT we want......

He reminded me more of Andre Smith, the OT the Bengals took last year. I guess we'll see if the Bills made a mistake there or not.