Jets may not have a happy camper in their midst, Revis

If I owned a team and some clown tried that **** with me, I just let him sit and fine his ass. Then I wait till he is a FA and tag his ass...hell maybe two years straight just because.

!@#$ these clowns. They are EMPLOYEES, Time for the owners to re establish that fact.

We've talked about this before Darth, but I've got to say it again. The only issue with taking on this type of stance, is that its not exactly the best way to resign your current players and attract free agents. The players and front offices play their little posturing games, but in the end they all have to play nice.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the billion owners who sit in a press box and gets paid off players who are risking permanent injury or shortly their lives. This same players also didn't get a cent while in college while they were making millions for their school.

Players deserve every cent they can get. Especially when a league is making as much money as the NFL is.

Those owners risked their nest egg to get that business rolling, didn't come for free.

Not saying I agree with Darth but c'mon...how much money is enough? Should we feel bad for Revis cause they're offering 60 million instead of 100? WTF screw that chump.

For you and me, those look like insanely high figures. Not so much for guys used to the salaries and the lifestyle that the highly paid pros are expected to maintain.

These guys earn it. They risk injuries, they have extremely short careers, their life-spans are shortened radically by their years in the NFL, and they often end up not walking right, not able to pick up their kids, suffering pain at every step, and all too often losing brain function early in their lives due to concussion-related problems. They trade their golden years as pros for misery in their middle and later years.

Did you see this story about Steve McNair? During his career, he earned $80 mill, and his estate is now estimated at $19 mill, including property. His last year was 2007, so two years after he has finished playing, he was worth less than 25% of what he earned. And McNair was always one of the bright ones, the guys who understood the fleeting nature of the business.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...niversary_N.htm

Think McNair didn't wish he had made an extra $10 mill or so along the way?

It tends to be human nature that we spend roughly what we make. A sad and pathetic part of human nature, yes. But it's written into us. Yeah, we can change, and many do. But I really don't understand the people who get angry at the guys who sacrifice their bodies, angry on behalf of the owners, billionaires who will end up with the money that doesn't go to the players.

Funny. Peters cost the Eagles some key games against the Cowboys. Go figure.

PTR

Good example. Peters was playing lights out, top two in the league according to profootballfocus.com, for the first 5 games or so till he got injured. That ankle problem stayed with him the rest of the year and he was never the same. It limited his movement. Yet he was in there playing even though his ankle and later head and neck injuries from week 14 were causing him pain and limiting him.

And yet he played fairly decently the first Dallas game. By the end of the year, though, he was running on fumes fighting those injuries.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_player.php?...p;playerid=2148

Excellent example.

If I owned a team and some clown tried that **** with me, I just let him sit and fine his ass. Then I wait till he is a FA and tag his ass...hell maybe two years straight just because.

!@#$ these clowns. They are EMPLOYEES, Time for the owners to re establish that fact.

One of the stupidest things I have read on this site. Every year players get cut with 3 or 4 years and millions of dollars left on there contracts. Teams do not honor contracts so why should players. If D. Revis was your son you would tell him to do the same thing. Do not put your health and career on the line while getting paid way under scale. This is where teams screw up all the time. Trying to make there star players on team friendly contracts play on the cheap. I do not blame him for sitting out. So once again Darth you have written an uninspireing shallow post. At least you are consistent.

For you and me, those look like insanely high figures. Not so much for guys used to the salaries and the lifestyle that the highly paid pros are expected to maintain.

These guys earn it. They risk injuries, they have extremely short careers, their life-spans are shortened radically by their years in the NFL, and they often end up not walking right, not able to pick up their kids, suffering pain at every step, and all too often losing brain function early in their lives due to concussion-related problems. They trade their golden years as pros for misery in their middle and later years.

Did you see this story about Steve McNair? During his career, he earned $80 mill, and his estate is now estimated at $19 mill, including property. His last year was 2007, so two years after he has finished playing, he was worth less than 25% of what he earned. And McNair was always one of the bright ones, the guys who understood the fleeting nature of the business.

It tends to be human nature that we spend roughly what we make. A sad and pathetic part of human nature, yes. But it's written into us. Yeah, we can change, and many do. But I really don't understand the people who get angry at the guys who sacrifice their bodies, angry on behalf of the owners, billionaires who will end up with the money that doesn't go to the players.

Who is "expecting" them to maintain a certain lifestyle? What a strange comment. And Steve McNair, who is dead, by the way, is only worth 19 mil? Gee that's a shame--even a dead baller is expected to maintain a certain lifestyle, I guess. And who doesn't wish they "had made an extra $10 mill or so along the way"? Really, tell us how smart McNair was that he was able to lose $60 million somewhere. Maybe it's under the cushion of the couch they found him on...

I would venture the vast majority of them are not ravaged in the ways you claim, nor are they dying off at "radical" rates. Truth is no one really cares about their sacrifices because they are paid so out of proportion to what they actually do for a living (play a game/entertain us).

Save your tears for people who actually risk their lives and health and youth and who are paid, compared to pampered pro athletes, essentially nothing. I'm sure you can think of a few examples....

So you'd cut off your nose to spite your face? That's the way to run a business!

Who is "expecting" them to maintain a certain lifestyle? What a strange comment. And Steve McNair, who is dead, by the way, is only worth 19 mil? Gee that's a shame--even a dead baller is expected to maintain a certain lifestyle, I guess. And who doesn't wish they "had made an extra $10 mill or so along the way"? Really, tell us how smart McNair was that he was able to lose $60 million somewhere. Maybe it's under the cushion of the couch they found him on...

I would venture the vast majority of them are not ravaged in the ways you claim, nor are they dying off at "radical" rates. Truth is no one really cares about their sacrifices because they are paid so out of proportion to what they actually do for a living (play a game/entertain us).

Save your tears for people who actually risk their lives and health and youth and who are paid, compared to pampered pro athletes, essentially nothing. I'm sure you can think of a few examples....

Good point, there are plenty of other careers out there where people actually risk there lives working the full year, and not just a few Sundays out of the year playing a game, and they make a small fraction of what a rookie who has done nothing in the league yet makes a year.

As for the owners, they have to put up ALOT of their own money to get to where they are, they deserve to get a nice return on their investment too.

how is it anyone elses fault that McNair had only a 1/4 of his earning from his career a few years after retiring. He still had more money then most here will see in their lifetimes, and if he wasn't out sleeping around, he might still be around to make more of it working for a team or a network.

If you don't want to risk your health or getting hurt, go get a job in the career you went to school and got your degree for.......... Have you seen the health and the shape some normal people are in after spending a lifetime doing some other careers that they are paid less then a fraction of an NFL player?

I'm all for Revis getting his money, can't wait to see what shape the Jets will be in when the NFL gets a cap again (I hope)

I'll take his 19 million and trade my lifetime salary. Players are well aware of the risk and decide to do so because of the paycheck. That does not entitle them to invalidate their contracts.

No one told them to buy things they can not actually afford. So if it's human nature to spend what you make (not true at all by the way) then we can solve that problem for them very easily. They can play for about 25% of what they make now.

Good example. Peters was playing lights out, top two in the league according to profootballfocus.com, for the first 5 games or so till he got injured. That ankle problem stayed with him the rest of the year and he was never the same. It limited his movement. Yet he was in there playing even though his ankle and later head and neck injuries from week 14 were causing him pain and limiting him.

And yet he played fairly decently the first Dallas game. By the end of the year, though, he was running on fumes fighting those injuries.

Excellent example.

My hero. I had no idea. What an inspiration. :devil:

PTR

He probably deserves it but jesus christ do it for a second strait season and then proceed with the quest to be the highest paid at your position

There's no guarantee he can be the best CB in the league for a second straight season. So, he's got to get all his money now. That way if he has a down year or 2, he's still getting his money. Careers are over rated, it's better to play for that one great season - then cash out at the expense of your team.

Excellent example.

Peters gets hurt every year because he is a fat slob.

But who cares about the playoffs when your LT is good for the first 5 games. :devil: Keep the excuses coming for a $10 million LT.

I'll take his 19 million and trade my lifetime salary. Players are well aware of the risk and decide to do so because of the paycheck. That does not entitle them to invalidate their contracts.

No one told them to buy things they can not actually afford. So if it's human nature to spend what you make (not true at all by the way) then we can solve that problem for them very easily. They can play for about 25% of what they make now.

What does what they could play for have anything to do with it? He is regarded as teh best cornerback in the league and has outplayed his contract. The market dictates what he should he paid. He is going to get mega money because someone is going to pay him mega money. You have to stop comparing your career to a NFL star's career. No offense and I'm sure you are good at what you can do, but you are replaceable for least money. The Jets could say Revis is replaceable but they know he's not. He is going to get pay one way or another.

And I hope Revis doesn't settle for anything less than getting top dollar and the holdout goes all season.

What does what they could play for have anything to do with it? He is regarded as teh best cornerback in the league and has outplayed his contract. The market dictates what he should he paid. He is going to get mega money because someone is going to pay him mega money. You have to stop comparing your career to a NFL star's career. No offense and I'm sure you are good at what you can do, but you are replaceable for least money. The Jets could say Revis is replaceable but they know he's not. He is going to get pay one way or another.

And I hope Revis doesn't settle for anything less than getting top dollar and the holdout goes all season.

I'm sorry, but do you understand contracts at all? It is impossible to 'outplay' your contract unless it is stipulated in the contract that you can do so. In some cases, teams see value in rewarding a player who has performed well. Sometimes they absolve the contract and replace it with a new one which generally would keep the player on the team beyond their current contract.

If the Jets give him a significant raise then the organization really is a one year wonder that hit at the right time and had some luck. He still has three years on his contract. I seriously doubt he will still be the best corner in three years. He had *one* good year and he deserves to be paid for five good years?

Why don't we switch NFL players salaries with that of Soldiers...or is Revis irreplaceable compared to a soldier's life too?

Just to put this in perspective, Revis is due to earn $20 million in GUARANTEED money in 2011 and 2012. All he has to do is not hold out, and he gets that money.

If he blows out his knee, and can never play again... he gets:

1. more than $20 million from the Jets

2. A pension from the NFLPA, and more money because his career ended because of an injury.

3. His career is almost certainly insured, and he will receive a lump sum if he can no longer play.

Shut up and play, Mr. Revis.

I think the Jets are going to implode. They are going about winning the wrong way. They have a 1-2 year window to win the big one or they are going to have issues. They have guys like Harris and Revis to ante up big contracts for and the money just isn't going to be there, with the Ferguson contract, and all the free agent contracts they've taken on.

And here's another thing:

Notice teams like Pittsburgh, Indy, and New England don't usually sign big ticket free agents and don't often give out big contracts to their players that come up for free agency. For me there's two ways to look at this. The first being that they are well run organizations that have the new found Bills philosophy of stacking players on top of players, so these players are replaced from within. The second is as long as you have your franchise QB, most of the other positions are more interchangeable because you have that constant.

The Jets don't have either. I'm telling you if Sanchez doesn't pan out, this team is going to be in turmoil with a high payroll with little flexibility, and they'll be stuck with too many high priced players to maneuver.

Their run offense cannot be better than ours based on talent.