Why is Gailey so High on Bell

I still think this team is in big trouble because of the offensive line. How can Gailey think so highly of D. Bell if he hasn't been able to practice yet? Doesn't make any sense. This team has not upgraded its offensive line situation from last year. I don't see how they think this offensive line is going to improve the same hurt players they had last year outside of Green who is not really an upgrade.

All this optimism for a team that has not addressed its most glaring problem from last year. This offensive line will not suddenly become good just because we have a new coaching staff. This offensive line is still not talented enough to open holes and give the QB time to throw.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think this team is in big trouble because of the offensive line. How can Gailey think so highly of D. Bell if he hasn't been able to practice yet? Doesn't make any sense. This team has not upgraded its offensive line situation from last year. I don't see how they think this offensive line is going to improve the same hurt players they had last year outside of Green who is not really an upgrade.

All this optimism for a team that has not addressed its most glaring problem from last year. This offensive line will not suddenly become good just because we have a new coaching staff. This offensive line is still not talented enough to open holes and give the QB time to throw.

Watching tape

I can only surmise it's because he doesn't want Meredith to be complacent about being handed the LT job. I can't see any reason why Bell would be considered the "prospective starter at LT" given how he played last year, coupled with his ACL injury.

There's also this outlandish possibility that the Bills staff took a look at the film and thought that there was room for improvement from our young tackles. We are after all, talking about 1st and 2nd year players.

How can Gailey think so highly of D. Bell if he hasn't been able to practice yet?

cause it's all we got?

not trying to be facetious either. he cant come out and say in the media "I dont like any of our players at Tackle, theyre all bums, we're in trouble there". even if he does believe it. you cant throw guys under the bus.

also, as Doc mentioned, Chan has been keeping the competition open for every spot on the roster, and every starting spot. this keeps guys motivated.

Don't get me wrong. I think that Gailey can believe Bell still has potential. I just find the reports that he was the "prospective starter" to be silly. He was the most penalized lineman in the NFL before getting hurt, and the type of injury he suffered (ACL) takes at least a full year to recover from.

cause it's all we got?

not trying to be facetious either. he cant come out and say in the media "I dont like any of our players at Tackle, theyre all bums, we're in trouble there". even if he does believe it. you cant throw guys under the bus.

also, as Doc mentioned, Chan has been keeping the competition open for every spot on the roster, and every starting spot. this keeps guys motivated.

I really thought our O-line did a pretty good job the first couple of weeks last year when all were healthy and playing. Of course they were making some errors and some costly penalties also but all in all they were playing respectable. It takes time for an O-line to gel and work as one. It doesn't happen in preseason or just by hanging out it happens on the field in real time situations. Do you remember how pitiful the Colts line was when Manning started and they just started building there dynasty....they sucked. Just give them some time. All our guys are back from last years starting unit minus Butler so give them some time...

Timeline, competition, and reality.

My guess he and Ralph have a common understanding that he is on s timeline to compete immediately but they realistically do not expect the team to achieve credible results this year or likely not even next. Dumb luck and its the NFL does mean that there could conceivably be some actual achievement this year (an 8-8 record would be an achievement given the pathetic results last year) but they honestly understand they do not expect much this year in terms of results. In fact, even in the outside world of the media and fans if this team is generally perceived as trying hard and not being a doormat then the lack of real achievement might even be something they skate by this year with.

Competition is key though to both having dumb luck help the team achieve and also to generating the perception of tolerating losing. Setting an expectation of achievement beyond what a player can realistically be expected to achieve is key. There is certainly no reasonable way simply from film or even some of the coaches real eye view of Bell in practice or in brief game appearances that they can be counting on him to excel. The vagaries of injury recovery alone make this crazy. Yet, from what they see on film and measuring the athletic from the attitude he displays they can in fact present a reasomable expectation that he will compete without embarrassment.

Guest dog14787

Although In my opinion we had the worse offensive line in the NFL last season it was greatly to do with inexperience and bad Scheming/coaching/playcalling. Add injuries and a group of young, develpoing QB's and you have a recipe for disaster.

A good offensive philosophy and playcalling will help change the face of the Bills O-line.

I Billieve...

It is really simple. Even if Chan think he is a turd, he won't say so. His boss whomever that is, tells him Bell will be the LT. Chan probably wants job he could not have gotten anywhere else and shuts up. That simple.

During that the off season like every offseason, marketing is serving the fans lots of cool aid by telling us how great Bhrom looks in practice. But Edwards might still better. blah blah. And guess what it works. In January, everybody here was super negative. Now more than half are positive. And any somewhat negative comments gets a lot of hatred. The reality is that we have not filled or most glaring holes. I believe in Chan with all my heart until he proves otherwise. But let's be honest, who is out DC and where are the LT's we needed so desperately??

Maybe Chan knows more about evaluating football players than you do.

The old Falling back on the "they know more than you do" argument comes out. It must be that time of year when fans question the direction, only to be told they aren't in the NFL and know nothing.

Wonder if that sentiment will be echoed in November-December.

The old Falling back on the "they know more than you do" argument comes out.

The oldest and most tired line on the board.

Jauron and Levy knew more than us too and they destroyed the team the second they walked into town. This might also answer the original question. The last regime, football knowledge and all, was high on Langston Walker, at least for a while. Why not be high on Bell?

Another possible answer could be his salary.

i think fans are higher on bell than gailey is, Jamon Meredith is a stud, gailey knows it, Bell knows it. :beer:

why are they sooooo bad, because they opened up holes for a thousand yard rusher?

i would like you to tell eric w

ood and andy levitre that the line is not good enough to open holes, that would be a funny exchange

The old Falling back on the "they know more than you do" argument comes out. It must be that time of year when fans question the direction, only to be told they aren't in the NFL and know nothing.

Wonder if that sentiment will be echoed in November-December.

Do you remember when Marv Levy was hired to rescue the organization and the gullible chorus gleefully shouted: In Marv We Trust? This very congenial man set back the franchise for years. Nix is presently undoing the damage done by this very nice man who was clueless.

Most sane fans acknowledge that it is going to take years to get back on the competitive path. It shouldn't be expected that all the positions needing upgrading would be done so in one offseason. This new coaching staff is gambling that Bell and/or Meredith can sufficiently handle the LT position. In my view, they are taking a major risk I am not comfortable with. Last year, Bell was thoroughly overmatched. Why they expect such a giant leap of performance from a developing player coming off of a major knee injury has me very puzzled? Maybe Kirk Chambers is their fallback position?

Because of his potential? Raw talent? Who knows. Maybe he doesn't like him and pumps him to send Meredith the message to not rest on his laurels.

I for one won't apply the boar MO to bash Bell furiously because he was not Walter Jones last year when he was thrown to the field as green as he was. I still like his potential to help this team aided by coaching and scheming.

Please get a clue of what coachspeak is all about. What is he supposed to say???

What do you think he said about our group of quarterbacks??

If asked about the D-Line, what kind of answer do you think he would give??

What do you think Lindy Ruff says about his team going into a season???

um, a, all I can say is WAKE UP???

;)

Is this your first offseason in the league??