DiCesare column: Schobel wanted his schedule

Why does he deserve to play for a contender? He should not have signed that huge extension before the 2007 season if he wanted to play for a contender so badly. Why are so many of you so sympathetic to Schobel? Sure he was a good player..But absolutely NEVER a leader on the team. And he certainly did not make everyone around him better. We have won absolutely nothing with him on our team. Maybe if he was more of a leader, this team would have been in much better shape. I think what most of you do not realize is that a team needs its best players to be vocal leaders. He has never been that. He does his job, but never took it upon himself to be even the slightest spokesperson for the team. He played in a vacuum like most of the guys on this team have done. Not the kind of guy who inspires those around him to play better.

While his play should have shown his teammates something over the years, he didn't seem to earn the leadership role on defense that one might say he should have. As it's been said before, he gleefully signed that 50 + Million contract a few years ago so it's hard, really hard for me to have any sympathy for Aaron. He plays here, or he doesn't play at all.

He wanted to fly in and play, then fly out again. I dont think he expected his terms to be taken seriously. I think he wanted to be traded. I heard from a reliable source he wanted the Bills to fly him in for practices and games, obviously not going to happen.

No he didn't.

He wanted a chance to skip most of training camp.

He has also been quoted in the past few days as thanking the Bills for making the decision. The Bills considered it, and decided not to do it, and Schobel thanked them and said the understood, and that the Bills stance made his decision easier.

This isn't some rebellion or something. The Bills have been pleading with him to come back, and he's not feeling it. Finally, he gave some conditions, the Bills considered it but refused, and it made Schobel's situation clearer.

Here's the source:

"At one point, the Bills considered letting Schobel pull a Brett Favre and show up shortly before the start of the regular season. But the team decided that wasn't what it wanted to do.

"Schobel said he was relieved they came to that conclusion. Even if the Bills changed their mind about letting him show up late, he sounded like a man who is prepared to move on. He said the Bills should do the same.

"'I think I'm just going to stay home,' said Schobel, who was facing a move to outside linebacker in the Bills' new 3-4 defense. 'If they have to say, "We have to release you," I'd say, "I understand. I'm fine with that.' "

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/06/10/1078...with-bills.html

This isn't a case of a prima donna demanding concessions. It's a case of a good guy who basically wants to quit trying to convince himself there might be a situation where he could happily do another year.

I am predicting Schobel will have a change of heart either just before or during training camp....no way he walks away from another 6 mil

For you and me, $6 mill is huge. For a guy with $30 or $40 mill in the bank who lives on $200 or $300 K a year, it just doesn't matter.

Whatever he decides is OK with me. I'm assuming he retires. Good luck, Aaron.

Except the games are played on Sunday. Who the hell cares where he wants to be on Monday and Tuesday after games. I wouldn't want to be in Buffalo on a Monday after another Bills loss either...

Buffalo is getting younger all over the roster. The coaching staff is talking about "teaching" and practicing hard, so having a guy who gets multiple days off each week doesn't exactly fit. Most of us know that the guy has earned his reputation, but young players might not see it that way. The fewer exceptions a team makes for it's players, the better.

schobel deserves to play with a contender. he wants to be traded to a contender but doesn't want to say the Buffalo won't contend.

He has been on record stating that he does not want to be traded, as he wants to retire as a BILL, and that if he were to be traded, the Texans would be his only destination because of it's proximity to his home. I seriously believe it is all about his family, and not football. He may show up come seasons start, and be allowed to jet home on Monday, but with a major position change happening for him how effective would he be??? I say make a statement and step away if that's what you want. Either way good luck to him.

Buffalo is getting younger all over the roster. The coaching staff is talking about "teaching" and practicing hard, so having a guy who gets multiple days off each week doesn't exactly fit. Most of us know that the guy has earned his reputation, but young players might not see it that way. The fewer exceptions a team makes for it's players, the better.

If you are going to rebuild it is better to do it sooner rather than later. If Schobel decided to stay this year it is more than probable that he would have retired the next year. For the Bills the best thing they can do is accelerate the rebuilding process and get the younger players on the field.

Undoubtedly, the defense is better with him than without him. But at this stage of his career and where the Bills are now his departure will make little difference. Schobel is a good guy who was somewhat quirky and irascible. He was a private homebody who had little desire to become a football celebrity. He was a productive player who had the misfortune to pay with a dysfunctional organization, resulting in no career playoff appearances.

If the Bills could have arranged a deal for him with Houston I would have been for it. I wish him the best.

FWIW, the Bills, like most teams in the NFL, watch film and have a walk through on Mondays after regular season Sunday games. Then they have Tuesdays completely off, and start to game plan for the upcoming game on Wednesday.*

Later in the season, when the bumps and bruises accumulate, they have what are called "Victory Mondays", meaning they get Mondays off, too, if they win. Many Bills have never actually experienced this but they know it exists.

Schobel was very likely (ok, inarguably) asking the team for Mondays off, so he could leave for Texas after the game, and return for work by Wednesday morning, thereby missing the film session and walk through only, no real practice time, and no time at all after victories.

Players also often take game film home with them to watch, so he could watch all the film he wanted to in texas if it were overnighted to him -- he would just miss the coaches' meetings with the players going over film (granted, a valuable and important experience, although not so much to a strickly pass rushing nine year vet).

*Obviously this varies with Thursday games and MNF games.

The way i hear it he walked around the locker room all year talking about retireing. Saying he wanted to go and be on his ranch. That is all he deserves to me. You deserve in this life what you earn. he has earned a lot of money and therefore the right to retire. How many of you would like to retire in your early 30's? I mean come on. He is a decent player, but that is not the talk or actions of a leader. Get to work or stay home. But i am 100% behind the Bills. Oh and they own him, so you tell him show up and play or sit home. I would not trade him either.

Why does he deserve to play for a contender? He should not have signed that huge extension before the 2007 season if he wanted to play for a contender so badly. Why are so many of you so sympathetic to Schobel? Sure he was a good player..But absolutely NEVER a leader on the team. And he certainly did not make everyone around him better. We have won absolutely nothing with him on our team. Maybe if he was more of a leader, this team would have been in much better shape. I think what most of you do not realize is that a team needs its best players to be vocal leaders. He has never been that. He does his job, but never took it upon himself to be even the slightest spokesperson for the team. He played in a vacuum like most of the guys on this team have done. Not the kind of guy who inspires those around him to play better.

If he was a leader, he'd be here and this post never happened...

GO BILLS!

If he were at the same position as he's always played, I'd be fine. Playing olb he has soooo much to learn, most struggle with full participation. Down the line maybe, but first year in a new position, you've got to be there....

Will the Texans give up a 4th rounder?

They kind of have us over a barrel in negotiations.

There should be no negotiations. He either shows up and honors his contract, or he does not. If not, let him sit out until well freezes over. That should give pause to all the others thinking of pulling a Peters like act. Same with Marshawn.....if he doesn't attend mandatories...25K per day...and NO, NEVER a trade.. Honor your contracts, or go penniless. Any trade of these two would be "penny wise and Pound foolish, as they say. Time for the front office to establish their turf, finally.

good the guy is a lazy ass who came to play when it was easy or meaningless

And there you have the most ignorant comment of the thread. Congratulations!

If true, I have to agree with the Bills stance.

<_<

The fact that Schobel said that "it's in the Bills' hands" is quite telling.

:devil: Yep, I get what that means now.

He has been on record stating that he does not want to be traded, as he wants to retire as a BILL, and that if he were to be traded, the Texans would be his only destination because of it's proximity to his home. I seriously believe it is all about his family, and not football. He may show up come seasons start, and be allowed to jet home on Monday, but with a major position change happening for him how effective would he be??? I say make a statement and step away if that's what you want. Either way good luck to him.

Thanks for saving me the typing.

Will the Texans give up a 4th rounder?

They kind of have us over a barrel in negotiations.

conditional pick is my guess. bills have nothing to lose. he's not coming back and they should use that slot to develop a future lineman.

not sure schobel is a good 3-4 guy anyway.

And there you have the most ignorant comment of the thread. Congratulations!

Agreed, but a few others have really made a run at the title.

I like the goofs who keep ripping into Schobel's leadership qualities. As if anyone on this message board has freaking clue what kind of leader he is. Then again most of the asswipes around here think being a good leader is mostly about screaming and throwing tantrums on the sidelines.

The qualities of great leadership are foreign in society for the most part.

Agreed, but a few others have really made a run at the title.

I like the goofs who keep ripping into Schobel's leadership qualities. As if anyone on this message board has freaking clue what kind of leader he is. Then again most of the asswipes around here think being a good leader is mostly about screaming and throwing tantrums on the sidelines.

The qualities of great leadership are foreign in society for the most part.

Thank you. Someone else who actually understands what leadership is and isn't.

The best players on a team aren't leaders, and conversely, the leaders on a team aren't always the best players.