***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2010 THREAD***

ajzepp

:thumbsup:

I spoke too soon!

Great comeback, but this sport is more crooked than the NBA, which makes it kind hard to care about.

I don't think it's crooked. I mean it's Slovenia. Who gives a **** about Slovenia??? If FIFA really wanted to fix a game, they'd want USA to win. There's more money to be made with USA soccer than !@#$ing Slovenia.

Sometimes refs are really really bad. It happens. They are a part of the game.

I am pretty confident England will beat Algeria this afternoon.

That being said, the way to pass would be a win against Algeria and England beating Slovenia. If England ties Slovenia, it will go a 3 way tie breaker at 5 points.

Good luck.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's crooked. I mean it's Slovenia. Who gives a **** about Slovenia??? If FIFA really wanted to fix a game, they'd want USA to win. There's more money to be made with USA soccer than !@#$ing Slovenia.

That's a really good point.

Do you not get the level of USA-hate there is in the world? Soccer doesn't sell in the US. Even when we have advanced in the Cup, what has it done, really? Largely, we become disinterested again until the next WC starts.

Do you know how much money was made during the USA world cup in 94? From what I remember it was one of the most successful non-Euro WC's.

Don't mistake a bad call with a game being fixed.

Do you know how much money was made during the USA world cup in 94? From what I remember it was one of the most successful non-Euro WC's.

Maybe that ref hates the US and acted alone. Maybe he doesn't give a damn how much FIFA makes if the US wins, he just personally wants the US to lose. That call is almost on par with the "just give it to them" game

I see where you are coming from, but that was 15 years ago, and is a little outdated. I believe it was just a terrible, awful, horredous, insanely bad, terrificly stupid blown call.

... But will we ever know, probably not.

England Rolls Algeria and Slovenia...we beat Algeria....we advance...seems simple

agreed. I would like to see England win out this round and beat Slovenia by 2 goals. Then all we have to do is win. Or we can beat Algeria by 2 goals and most likely we are in

So help me out here. We're excited about a 2-2 tie, does that mean we advance? or do we still need help from other teams?

We're guaranteed to advance as long as we beat Algeria by at least 2 goals. Otherwise, we will need help from the England-Algeria and England-Slovenia games.

I'll spoil it for you now, 1-1 tie. Don't bother setting your DVR. Hoooray soccer!

O.K., so I was off on the score, but right on the result. So after all of this hype and two games played, we now know that we are equal to England and Slovenia? :thumbsup: I just don't get it.

O.K., so I was off on the score, but right on the result. So after all of this hype and two games played, we now know that we are equal to England and Slovenia? :thumbsup: I just don't get it.

That game was more exciting than any Bills game this past decade. That's for sure.

And for the record, the US did win this game 3-2 if not for an atrocious call.

According to ESPN, the official did not offer any reason during the game for the call against the US on what would have been the winning goal. They said he told players after the game that he called a foul on Edu who didn't even get touched or touch other player.

So instead of seeing three American players get tackled in plain site, he see a phantom call on Edu. No other reason than American hatred went into making that call.

Juts watched the replay. How in the world wasn't the first Slovenia goal not offsides?

Because it was a direct shot. If he had passed it or the player in an offside position had collected a rebound or something then it would have been offside. Otherwise he clearly was not. The rule was changed years ago to cut down on irrelevant offside calls.

Do you not get the level of USA-hate there is in the world? Soccer doesn't sell in the US. Even when we have advanced in the Cup, what has it done, really? Largely, we become disinterested again until the next WC starts.

Dude, you couldn't be more wrong. There is a viable, loyal, and consistently growing population of soccer fans in the US. The MLS is about to have it's 15th birthday. There are soccer-only stadiums being built for many of the MLS (and even the farm league) teams. International friendlies sell out some of the largest stadiums in the country. Friendlies against the top clubs in the world do the same. ESPN signed a huge soccer-related deal for a reason.

As many of said and agreed, soccer will never be like the NFL, MLB, or NBA....but it's clearly established in this country and the base is expanding, not eroding.

That's the issue. They're not any better. Every Cup, we're sold a bill of goods by soccer fans across the country, but we've come nowhere since 1990. We have 3 WC match wins since then. Thats it. 3. Good teams can win 3 matches every Cup. 2002 was our only decent year, and there's always a lower tier team that catches a break and advances farther than we should. It just happened to be us in '02.

No team that qualifies through Europe should ever be dismissed.

And that comeback was very important. If we lost, Slovenia would have advanced. Then all England would be facing is Algeria and then a disinterested/already-advancing Slovenia.

Maybe that ref hates the US and acted alone. Maybe he doesn't give a damn how much FIFA makes if the US wins, he just personally wants the US to lose. That call is almost on par with the "just give it to them" game

Balls. Bad calls are (sadly) part of sport. And every team has been on the wrong side of a call which has changed a game.

England Argentina 1986 - The 'Hand of God'

England Germany 1966 - The third England 'goal'

South Korea Italy 2002 - Just about every call in the game (in fact possibly the one international which there could be a real case of calling foul, IMO - it was Italy's 11 vs S Korea's 11 + 3).

Germany Serbia 2010 - How the hell were either of Klose's yellow cards warranted. Free kicks, sure, but that ref was a card happy jerk.

It is part of sport. Always has been. And the point about not having the best refs is a valid one, BTW, for decades there have been a succession of refs which have utterly failed to make the grade because of FIFAs every country must be represented rule. The best teams deserve the best refs. End of.

That game was more exciting than any Bills game this past decade. That's for sure.

And for the record, the US did win this game 3-2 if not for an atrocious call.

According to ESPN, the official did not offer any reason during the game for the call against the US on what would have been the winning goal. They said he told players after the game that he called a foul on Edu who didn't even get touched or touch other player.

So instead of seeing three American players get tackled in plain site, he see a phantom call on Edu. No other reason than American hatred went into making that call.

I thought the phantom call was on Bradley :thumbsup:

I see where you are coming from, but that was 15 years ago, and is a little outdated. I believe it was just a terrible, awful, horredous, insanely bad, terrificly stupid blown call.

... But will we ever know, probably not.

You want to see bad refereeing.

That, my friend is horrid officiating.