Chargers sign LT Tra Thomas

Will this move put hime on the trading block? If so what would it take? Certainly the front office has a plan to obtain a LT before preseason, I cannot believe there comfortable with Bell and Wang. Wang is a project and Bell is so injury and penalty prone certainly there is an average LT to be had for a reasonable price so we can atleast add a player to the mix..

I never heard of Marcus McNeil. Why should we trade for him? What makes him better than what we have, other than the belief that any player the Bills have must suck?

PTR

this honestly cant be a serious post

I never heard of Marcus McNeil. Why should we trade for him? What makes him better than what we have, other than the belief that any player the Bills have must suck?

PTR

2nd round draft pick out of Auburn in 2006, an alternate for the ProBowl in 2007, Phillip Rivers and LT seem to have had success behind him. He is not a superstar but a very solid tackle and an improvement over what we have.

No.

This move proves that other teams are proactive and understand that the LT spot is critical - so you need not only a starter, but a capable backup as well. The Bills continue to act like ostriches with their heads stuck in the ground (or elsewhere).

If he doesnt sign his tender or if SanDiego doest offer him a new contract then he will most likely hold out. If he holds out he is not a capable backup. Being a starting LT he most likely wants a huge contract, the Chargers have the same situation with Shawn Merriman and Vincent Jackson not signing there tenders, this is just speculation but signing Tra Thomas and having the same issue with other big name players tells me they are not going to give Mcneill a contract or prioritize it, this may allow him to shop his services.

A few more spitballs of information…

It almost goes without saying that Buddy Nix was instrumental in drafting McNeill.

Also McNeill has a congenital condition with his spine…which some teams view as a medical risk.

On the upside, he's only 26 years old.

And June 15th (next Tuesday) is the last day that he can sign his tender. The Chargers have threatened to reduce their offer to him if he's not signed by that date.

It almost goes without saying that Buddy Nix was instrumental in drafting McNeill.

Also McNeill has a congenital condition with his spine…which some teams view as a medical risk.

And June 15th (next Tuesday) is the last day that he can sign his tender. The Chargers have threatened to reduce their offer to him if he's not signed by that date.

doesn't the amount of the tender decrease if a player doesn't sign it before the June 15 deadline? I thought I read it somewhere that its something that automatically happens.

He is definitly an option if the Bills medical staff don't see the spine condition as a big issue affecting his play. I would rather see them make a move for him then Gaither cause he doesn't seem to have work ethic issues, and if anything, with Nix's ties to SD, it could very likely be the direction they go if they feel that they need a better option at LT.

I'm more shocked that posters here aren't screaming more over the fact that the Bills didn't run out and sign Thomas and let SD get him. I'VE HEARD OF HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

doesn't the amount of the tender decrease if a player doesn't sign it before the June 15 deadline? I thought I read it somewhere that its something that automatically happens.

Procedurally the amount goes down. But the thing is, some players sign their tenders in good faith and as a prelude to a longer term deal. So in some sense, it's at the clubs discretion as to how much they're going to pay someone.

The fact that AJ Smith has publicly "threatened" McNeill and Vincent Jackson about reducing the amount on the table is pretty amazing.

That guy is one hard-nosed prick. His Mom probably doesn't like him.

No.

This move proves that other teams are proactive and understand that the LT spot is critical - so you need not only a starter, but a capable backup as well. The Bills continue to act like ostriches with their heads stuck in the ground (or elsewhere).

what's the matter?

you don't think the 2 injured guys the Bills have are not better than Tra Thomas?

you need to get on board, since Chan Gailey is godlike and will coach Bell to the Hall of Fame this year.

what's the matter?

you don't think the 2 injured guys the Bills have are not better than Tra Thomas?

you need to get on board, since Chan Gailey is godlike and will coach Bell to the Hall of Fame this year.

Yes, Tra Thomas didn't sign with anyone previously because he was waiting for the Chargers to come knocking and be their starting LT while McNeill holds out. :worthy:

Procedurally the amount goes down. But the thing is, some players sign their tenders in good faith and as a prelude to a longer term deal. So in some sense, it's at the clubs discretion as to how much they're going to pay someone.

The fact that AJ Smith has publicly "threatened" McNeill and Vincent Jackson about reducing the amount on the table is pretty amazing.

That guy is one hard-nosed prick. His Mom probably doesn't like him.

I am here in San Diego and I concur AJ is no joke. All business....

what's the matter?

Spartacous, I do agree with your statement. Just be careful with the negativity or you will be called and labeled a TROLL. I think I have been labeled the #1 troll here. Doesn't bother me. Your statement is dead on. I am all for fans thinking positive but....lets be realistic too.

PTR

Really? He is a very capable LT. I don't think you will find much agruement that he is a better player at this point in his career than Bell/Meredith/Wang.

It almost goes without saying in what sense?

In the sense that we have no idea whether or not it was true, and therefore it should not be said? Because if that's what you meant, you're right on.

For all we know, Nix was frantically arguing against McNeill in the draft room.

Spartacous, I do agree with your statement. Just be careful with the negativity or you will be called and labeled a TROLL. I think I have been labeled the #1 troll here. Doesn't bother me. Your statement is dead on. I am all for fans thinking positive but....lets be realistic too.

Don't give yourself to much credit there are plenty better Trolls around here. <_<

Tra Thomas is a one-year band-aid. He's 35 years old and managed to start 3 games last year. He got a one-year contract.

Until they signed Tra Thomas, at LT the Chargers had McNeill and some scrubs. Now they have McNeill, a very old Tra Thomas who is anything but the future, and some scrubs.

The Chargers got Thomas as leverage against McNeill holding out this year. However, for the future, they have McNeill and nobody else at LT. They're not going to trade him. They're going to play hardball and deal with the consequences and force McNeill to deal with them too. He's going nowhere.

Whether or not you liked trading Jason Peters, it was unquestionably very stupid trading Peters WITHOUT A BACKUP PLAN! San Diego has no backup plan. McNeill is a pipe dream, and you folks calling for getting him need to deal with that.

Tra Thomas is a one-year band-aid. He's 35 years old and managed to start 3 games last year. He got a one-year contract.

Until they signed Tra Thomas, at LT the Chargers had McNeill and some scrubs. Now they have McNeill, a very old Tra Thomas who is anything but the future, and some scrubs.

The Chargers got Thomas as leverage against McNeill holding out this year. However, for the future, they have McNeill and nobody else at LT. They're not going to trade him. They're going to play hardball and deal with the consequences and force McNeill to deal with them too. He's going nowhere.

Whether or not you liked trading Jason Peters, it was unquestionably very stupid trading Peters WITHOUT A BACKUP PLAN! San Diego has no backup plan. McNeill is a pipe dream, and you folks calling for getting him need to deal with that.

Again, they had a backup plan: having Walker play LT. That plan changed however, when they unexpectedly cut him just days before the season started.

Again, they had a backup plan: having Walker play LT. That plan changed however, when they unexpectedly cut him just days before the season started.

Whether Walker got cut or not they had no credible backup plan because Walker was not and never was going to be an adequate LT. Even Walker would tell you that. Don't even bring up Demtrius Bell. He was so out of his depth and ill-prepared that he couldn't even get the snap count straight.

As it stands the Bills are still in a situation where the LT position is an impending disaster, again.

Whether Walker got cut or not they had no credible backup plan because Walker was not and never was going to be an adequate LT. Even Walker would tell you that. Don't even bring up Demtrius Bell. He was so out of his depth and ill-prepared that he couldn't even get the snap count straight.

Walker was the original back up plan John, and still would have been a far better solution than what they had. I don't know when the plan(s) changed because they made some dumb decisions after that, starting with implementing the no-huddle, and then firing Schonert and promoting AVP, and then cutting Walker and promoting Bell. Only to later scrap the no-huddle.

As it stands the Bills are still in a situation where the LT position is an impending disaster, again.

Perhaps. But signing Thomas wouldn't be a solution and would be worse than if the Bills had kept Walker at LT.

PTR

Ummm, really? I usually have your back but, wow......

I'd take McNeil over what we have now in a heartbeat. Thomas signing is just for depth. He's done and riding on his name. We need to address LT at some point.

You're not the number one troll here - don't flatter yourself.

I think if Walker had not been cut and we hadn't tried to run the no-huddle, he would have done better than bell did last year. He looked OK to get by on for a year in preseason, he just couldn't keep up with the pace.

Walker was the original back up plan John, and still would have been a far better solution than what they had. I don't know when the plan(s) changed because they made some dumb decisions after that, starting with implementing the no-huddle, and then firing Schonert and promoting AVP, and then cutting Walker and promoting Bell. Only to later scrap the no-huddle.

As told by a Buffalo News reporter on WGR radio last year it became apparent to the coaches that Walker wasn't suited for the LT position. In practice D. Bell was outperforming him and was getting more time with the first unit. When the line coach moved D. Bell ahead of the slow footed Walker it was inevitable that Walker was going to be cut. The same reporter covering the Bills predicted a week or two prior to the Bills cutting Walker that he was going to be cut if Bell was going to start. He made the point that the Bills have a general policy that they won't pay a backup starter money. In addition, Walker would have been due a roster bonus if he was with the team when the season started.

Whether Walker was going to start or not he still would have been a useful backup who could play guard and RT. After LW got cut Butler got hurt and Woods got hurt. The heart of the matter is the Langston Walker departure was a salary issue more so than a performance issue.

The trading of Peters was a disaster not because he was traded but because the backup plan for his departure lacked credibility. The outcome was very predictable.

As told by a Buffalo News reporter on WGR radio last year it became apparent to the coaches that Walker wasn't suited for the LT position. In practice D. Bell was outperforming him and was getting more time with the first unit. When the line coach moved D. Bell ahead of the slow footed Walker it was inevitable that Walker was going to be cut. The same reporter covering the Bills predicted a week or two prior to the Bills cutting Walker that he was going to be cut if Bell was going to start. He made the point that the Bills have a general policy that they won't pay a backup starter money. In addition, Walker would have been due a roster bonus if he was with the team when the season started.

Whether Walker was going to start or not he still would have been a useful backup who could play guard and RT. After LW got cut Butler got hurt and Woods got hurt. The heart of the matter is the Langston Walker departure was a salary issue more so than a performance issue.

The trading of Peters was a disaster not because he was traded but because the backup plan for his departure lacked credibility. The outcome was very predictable.

Bell was outperforming Walker? And moving ahead of him on the depth chart? And you believe that report?

Bell was never ahead of Walker on the depth chart, much less getting starting reps at any time in camp other than days Walker missed practiced or after being cut. He didn't make a start in any of the pre-season games and actually missed the last 2 pre-season games/2 weeks of practice. Yet after coming back, he was deemed better than Walker?

If anything, Bell MAY have been better suited for the no-huddle pace. But that's a stretch at best. And I mentioned trying to implement the no-huddle as being one of the many mistakes they made. Not that it matters, since those involved in those decisions are now, thankfully, gone.

The Chargers aren't trading McNiell. They will get a contract done eventually. Tra gives them a little bit of leverage for signing Marcus, but Tra is no replacement. Fans keep hoping other teams will make the same foolish mistakes our own front office have made in recent years.

Walker was an adequate Right tackle that had a ridiculous contract, when he was made to step up and play LT he pissed and moaned. The coaching was horrible the decisions where horrible and it bit them in the ass when the team was plaques by injuries. I understood the cut but never understood why the front office never swallowed there pride and called him back 2 weeks later when Butler was out for the season. Its all water under the bridge now as we still need a LT.

Bell was outperforming Walker? And moving ahead of him on the depth chart? And you believe that report?

Bell was never ahead of Walker on the depth chart, much less getting starting reps at any time in camp other than days Walker missed practiced or after being cut. He didn't make a start in any of the pre-season games and actually missed the last 2 pre-season games/2 weeks of practice. Yet after coming back, he was deemed better than Walker?

If anything, Bell MAY have been better suited for the no-huddle pace. But that's a stretch at best. And I mentioned trying to implement the no-huddle as being one of the many mistakes they made. Not that it matters, since those involved in those decisions are now, thankfully, gone.

Langston Walker was never suited for the LT position. Even he would admit that. He was reluctant right from the start to make the switch. Whether you want to acknowledge that Bell was moved ahead of Walker doesn't make it not so. But that point is not worth debating because neither player was capable of handling the challenging position. Walker because he was too slow for the position and Bell because he was to raw to assume the starting LT role.

As I stated in a prior posting Walker was cut as much for salary reasons as it was for performance reasons. That is how the Bills operate and that is why they are systemically bad. If you haven't figured it out yet, something so obvious, you never will.

Langston Walker was never suited for the LT position. Even he would admit that. He was reluctant right from the start to make the switch. Whether you want to acknowledge that Bell was moved ahead of Walker doesn't make it not so. But that point is not worth debating because neither player was capable of handling the challenging position. Walker because he was too slow for the position and Bell because he was to raw to assume the starting LT role.

As I stated in a prior posting Walker was cut as much for salary reasons as it was for performance reasons. That is how the Bills operate and that is why they are systemically bad. If you haven't figured it out yet, something so obvious, you never will.

The reason I heard he was cut was he had a horrible attitude in the locker room, a high salary, and was expected to be gassed in the no-huddle. I'm sure he wasn't thrilled with the no-huddle and the direction the offense was headed in general.

The reason I heard he was cut was he had a horrible attitude in the locker room, a high salary, and was expected to be gassed in the no-huddle. I'm sure he wasn't thrilled with the no-huddle and the direction the offense was headed in general.

It was the height of stupidity to envision that Langston Walker could hold up for full games over a full season playing LT against speed rushers. Any high school coach could have seen that and known that.

This stupidity was surpassed only by the insanity of thinking Langston Walker could do what he couldn't do straight, in a hurry up offense, where not only did he get no rest, but he had to run up to the LOS after successful plays downfield (the only real way the no huddle takes full advantage of the defense).

Let's be fair to Langston. What you are criticizing him for with the Bills is who he was with the Raiders. He never did have passion for the game. It was already known before we acquired him that he is a very cerebral individual who isn't very intense about the game. He had a high salary because our front office foolishly gave him a high salary. There weren't any other teams offering him such a high level of compensation. The Raiders weren't interested in keeping him because they were going to cut him. Yet we found him attractive. How can anyone be surprised that LW would be gassed in a no huddle type of office. He regularly got gassed when the offense was run with a huddle.

The decision to go to the no huddle was not only stupid, it was outright peculiar. The Bills didn't have the caliber of OL, nor the caliber of qb or receiver corps to play that hurry up offense. Not only did our offense fail miserably trying to play a system it was ill-equipped for but it placed an additional burden on an already below average defense. This was a Dick Jauron decision. The same lame HC who was given an extension by a very dysfunctional organization. There is no need to try to explain away the unexplainable. Just shrug your shoulders and shake your head and walk away being perplexed by such stupendous stupidity.

It almost goes without saying in what sense?

In the sense that we have no idea whether or not it was true, and therefore it should not be said? Because if that's what you meant, you're right on.

For all we know, Nix was frantically arguing against McNeill in the draft room.

Neither you know or I know how Nix felt about the Chargers drafting McNeill in the 2nd round 4 years ago.

So how bout we stick with what we do know?

Nix was the Assistant General Manager and Director of College Scouting for the Chargers.

Nix specifically scouted the SEC.

McNeill played at Auburn.

Auburn is in the SEC.

So in light of all this, what are the chances that I am wrong and that maybe AJ Smith overruled strenuous objections from Nix in order to draft McNeill?

What do you think happened in that war room on the day that McNeill was drafted?

I still think the Bills are taking a wait and see attitude towards the situation at left tackle.

Between OTA's and minicamp, the team has 7 more workouts scheduled before training camp begins in late July.

They've already had the team in for 15 workouts so far.

At the end of these 22 workouts, they will have a pretty good idea of what they have. At that point there's a one month period between the last mini-camp workout and the first day of training camp.

We don't know if Marcus McNeill will be made available but it's possible. We know Flozell Adams is still out there. We know that Jamaal Brown and Jared Gaither could probably be had for the right price.

If the Bills make a move for a left tackle, I would expect it to happen sometime before the middle of July and as early as late June.