Roscoe

Neither has been great the past two seasons--no points for pointing that out.

You're entitled to your opinion, but not your facts. Roscoe had a fine 2008 (15.3 YPR), as opposed to Hester's down years in 2008 and 2009...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Three other posters think Parrish is easy to cover. New Era, Mr. Weo, and Cbiscuit.

As much as I think Roscoe's a dynamic PR, he does have to prove he can perform at WR when guys are jamming him at the LOS or disrupting his routes by making him run around them.

If Gailey can find ways to motion Parrish or (as others have posted) hide him behind a bigger WR running interference, he could contribute significantly more this year.

Perhaps I chose my words poorly, but anyone watching training camp the past few years saw the exact same thing. For whatever reason, his impressive catches in practice don't translate to the field.

Most likely because he has a hard time dealing with press coverage. Timing is very important in passing game, and when pressed he has a hard time getting to his spots at the correct time. QB's will tend to look for the receivers they will know will be where supposed to be at the correct point in time, so if he cant learn to beat the press more consistently, will have a hard time getting a QB's confidence. Without that, he wont get many opportunities to show off his open field abilities.

Over Roscoe's first four seasons, he averaged 14 yards per return (1,312 on 94 punts), which is certainly the best in the past 30 years.

Last year was a train wreck for everyone and I think being in DJ's dog house certainly affected Roscoe's confidence on letting balls go over his head. If he's feeling more involved under Gailey, I'm hopeful we'll see more from his return game as well.

BTW, Hester's averaged only 6.9 yards per PR the last two seasons, with no TDs...

Both regressed at PR in the last two seasons. However:

In the last two seasons, Hester has averaged 53 receptions and 3 TDs a season at WR, with around 22 yards per KR (38).

Roscoe has had over the last two seasons 13.5 receptions and .5 TDs a season at WR in that same span, with 23 yards per KR (13).

So, in Hester's case, he's upped his production at WR while losing his edge at KR/PR in TDs and maintaining a healthy KR Average over the two years.

In Roscoe's case, he's actually regressed at WR in that two year span, with both having less than stellar OCs.

Again, yards are good but TDs are great.

Both regressed at PR in the last two seasons. However:

In the last two seasons, Hester has averaged 53 receptions and 3 TDs a season at WR, with around 22 yards per KR (38).

Roscoe has had over the last two seasons 13.5 receptions and .5 TDs a season at WR in that same span, with 23 yards per KR (13).

So, in Hester's case, he's upped his production at WR while losing his edge at KR/PR in TDs and maintaining a healthy KR Average over the two years.

In Roscoe's case, he's actually regressed at WR in that two year span, with both having less than stellar OCs.

Again, yards are good but TDs are great.

More good points. Hester became a WR, Roscoe didn't.

Again, in 2008 Parrish was hardly even a PR---only 21 returns! Fred Jackson was a better PR that year!

Nobody cares about an extra yard in his average--it does the team no good. It would have been better for him to have more positive returns at less yardage and fewer fair catches.

Before we fall all over ourselves in padless 7v7 and 12v12 drills lets see if Roscoe can get off the LoS when he's being jammed by a DB. His ability to return a kick was never in question, his ability to get off the LoS is a HUGE question.

Amen ....

Also being on the same play as the QB and the other receivers. Who knows maybe this will the magical year and Roscoe will suddenly become a playmaker. For so many years everyone has hoped this would happen. I for one believe that when the pads go on Roscoe will once again show that he is not an NFL wide receiver.

Parrish is a gadget player. Period. He was in the doghouse last season. Did they get any trade offers? Is there a demand for Roscoe Parrish around the league?

He is exciting to watch at times but was a collossal waste of a high draft pick in terms of building a winning football team. What else is new?

Parrish is a gadget player. Period. He was in the doghouse last season. Did they get any trade offers? Is there a demand for Roscoe Parrish around the league?

He is exciting to watch at times but was a collossal waste of a high draft pick in terms of building a winning football team. What else is new?

You really have to get over the fact of where Parrish was drafted, and why, and by who, when it was about four administrations ago. :thumbsup: Right now, either he is going to be a valuable slot WR, PR and back-up KR or he's not. It has less than zero to do with where he was drafted. It's about time someone who seems to know what he is doing is looking to utilize him, and it seems pretty evident as he is lining up as the starting slot receiver, and getting balls and catches every single practice.

Not to mention that Donte is all atwitter.

Roscoe may be cat-quick but he's pretty easy to cover, especially as a wideout where the sideline acts as a second defender. Just play inside technique and he's pretty easily neutralized. His quickness is obviously better suited for the slot but, once again, strong inside technique makes it difficult for him. He's weak against the press and easily gets lost in all the big bodies in traffic. He's not a great target. Another problem he has from what I can see is that he's almost as bad as Royal was when it comes to hot reads. NOT his strong suit.

Of course it would help if he had a QB who could get him the ball in space when he DOES get some.

That said, if the new braintrust can devise a way to get him the ball in space a few times a game, it could change things for him. No doubt he can be explosive. Maybe we'll see him in motion where he can create some space without being pressed. Then again, we don't have a QB that inspires ANY of my confidence to do that at the moment. I hope that changes.

GO BILLS!!!

I have been one of those non-Roscoe fans but am willing to change my opinion. It is pretty clear that Coach Dick negatively impacted Edwards' growth as a quarterback and there's a good chance we will see a new and imporved Trent Edwards leading the team now that Mr. Don't Lose the Game Boys is not our coach.

As others have suggested here ... Roscoe always looks good before the tackling starts. In prior years he was never able to do much with the ball after a reception or on reverses but this is a new decade ... it's a new coaching staff ... it is a team being designed to score points and win games.

If he can translate his punt return skills to WR and if he's in the mix with Evans, Nelson, Easley, Jackson, and Spiller ... even with a weak OL we have potential to move the ball.

GO BILLS!!! :thumbsup:

I have been one of those non-Roscoe fans but am willing to change my opinion. It is pretty clear that Coach Dick negatively impacted Edwards' growth as a quarterback and there's a good chance we will see a new and imporved Trent Edwards leading the team now that Mr. Don't Lose the Game Boys is not our coach.

As others have suggested here ... Roscoe always looks good before the tackling starts. In prior years he was never able to do much with the ball after a reception or on reverses but this is a new decade ... it's a new coaching staff ... it is a team being designed to score points and win games.

If he can translate his punt return skills to WR and if he's in the mix with Evans, Nelson, Easley, Jackson, and Spiller ... even with a weak OL we have potential to move the ball.

GO BILLS!!! :thumbsup:

Exactly. I am a Roscoe advocate but I am not going to bet that he will suddenly produce. All we have found out in the last 4-5 years is that he has certain enormous talents and certain glaring deficiencies. We have yet to see, whatsoever, someone with an ability to maximize talent and mask deficiencies try to use him enough to be effective, if not downright valuable, scary and game-plan changing. I would not at all be surprised if a lot of Roscoe haters really start to like him a few games into the season.

Just a prediction, and I have been wrong before. ;)

You really have to get over the fact of where Parrish was drafted, and why, and by who, when it was about four administrations ago. :thumbsup: Right now, either he is going to be a valuable slot WR, PR and back-up KR or he's not. It has less than zero to do with where he was drafted. It's about time someone who seems to know what he is doing is looking to utilize him, and it seems pretty evident as he is lining up as the starting slot receiver, and getting balls and catches every single practice.

Fair enough. Excuse me for being skeptical, but I don't view him as a solid player until I see results. In terms of him being properly used by Jauron, we both know that this was an impossibility. If he has any chance at all to be a solid receiver (which I doubt), it will be now.

Think Wes Welker would be successful in the league under the Bills' offense of the past three seasons?

Serious question.