Roscoe

It looks like Roscoe is the early story in the offseason thus far. Is it possible that Jauron simply didn't know how to use him? People dismiss him and talk about him getting cut, meanwhile they tend to forget that he was 1a behind Hester in terms of returners in the NFL for about three years before last year when he found his way into Jauron's doghouse. Jauron never figured out a way to get Roscoe the ball in space. Can Gailey? Roscoe haters: he's not getting cut so deal with it. I for one am really pulling for the guy right now. Who's with me?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He is uncoverable. Jauron couldnt use him. I have made many longwinded posts upon the subject, but we have to get him the ball. There are ways to do it, and Jauron didnt try them.

Roscoe was working short patterns on the inside today, while the bigger guys ran off the defensive backs. He ran comeback routes and outs and was able to find plenty of space against what was an admittedly confused 3-4. Gailey tended to have the receivers running deep to the outside, and the tight ends and backs running drags and outs underneath.

Today he was the best player on the field. The quarterbacks looked to him first.

It looks like Roscoe is the early story in the offseason thus far. Is it possible that Jauron simply didn't know how to use him? People dismiss him and talk about him getting cut, meanwhile they tend to forget that he was 1a behind Hester in terms of returners in the NFL for about three years before last year when he found his way into Jauron's doghouse. Jauron never figured out a way to get Roscoe the ball in space. Can Gailey? Roscoe haters: he's not getting cut so deal with it. I for one am really pulling for the guy right now. Who's with me?

Pete, i want Roscoe to succeed too. DJ didn't know how to use him. In all of football there must be at least a few offensive coordinators who know how to use a WR of his size and speed. Gailey is a creative one and he will find a way to use Roscoe. If it wasn't for Gailey being here i think Roscoe would have seen his last days as a Bill. But Chan has a history of making the most out of some player positions. I hope for the best and i'm optimistic about what might happen.

Anyone who watched training camp during the Jauron years saw the same thing we are seeing now. Wait until he does something when there's tackling.

I hear ya, but he was/is? THAT GOOD as a returner that at some point you have to figure out a way to get him the ball. Look at the Bears with Hester. I'm convinced Gailey is thinking the same thing. It looks like he has the inside edge on the starting slot position that pretty much everyone on here handed to Stevie Johnson before camp started.

As I'd stated in a thread last week, I think Roscoe showed some chops for having apologized for the Cleveland debacle. Leaving that nightmare in the past, look at the PR stats. The odds are good that everytime this guy gets his hands on the ball, the Bills are looking at 10 yards. Or more.

Okay, brain surgeons, here's the next question...which OTHER player on the team gives you that kind of production when he touches the ball? Evans? Lynch? Nelson? Let's man-up and face facts - ten yards per play is a BIG DEAL for this team. I'd keep him just for punt returns. If he adds a few catches per game in the slot, I'm pointing at the scoreboard and spilling my Labatts on the guy in front of me.

What is the basis for the Roscoe hate? The Cleveland game? He's apologized. Get over it. Go Roscoe.

"Sneaking Sally Through The Alley" - Robert Palmer

Best punt returner in the history of the game?? Put down the crack pipe.

Going into last season he was the all-time PR in the history of the NFL. At some point last season, I imagine he no longer held that title because he had a bad year. The year before, he was second to Hester by a small percentage point, but I think he passed Hester by the end of 2008. So after the 2008 season, and into the 2009 season, he was the all-time best PR, yes.

Going into last season he was the all-time PR in the history of the NFL. At some point last season, I imagine he no longer held that title because he had a bad year. The year before, he was second to Hester by a small percentage point, but I think he passed Hester by the end of 2008. So after the 2008 season, and into the 2009 season, he was the all-time best PR, yes.

What criteria are you using to measuring "all time best"?

What criteria are you using to measuring "all time best"?

Yards per return. What else would you use? I just looked it up. In modern football, he's pretty much still the best ever at 12.2. In the NFL record book he would be listed as 4th best all time, but the three guys above him were real old timers. The NFL Reference book which is the link provided below also lists a couple other guys ahead of him that don't qualify for the all-time leaders because the NFL records state you must have at least 75 career returns to qualify.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/lead..._ret_career.htm

Yards per return. What else would you use? I just looked it up. In modern football, he's pretty much still the best ever at 12.2. In the NFL record book he would be listed as 4th best all time, but the three guys above him were real old timers. The NFL Reference book which is the link provided below also lists a couple other guys ahead of him that don't qualify for the all-time leaders because the NFL records state you must have at least 75 career returns to qualify.

I wouldn't use any single measure, as it doesn't paint a complete picture. Average return is fine, but it doesn't account for bad fair catch decisions, failure to field the ball and letting it roll to the 3, fumbles, running backward 30 yards in a tie game, etc.

Also, the difference between Parrish and any of the two dozen guys behind him on that list works out to about 1-2 yards per game. I wouldn't hang my hat on that while ignoring the other factors above any more than I'd conclude Schaub is a better QB than Manning because his YPA is higher.

I am very surprised that you even had to take the time to post something which should be very obvious to anyone who follows the Bills even in passing.

The guy is a great punt returner in a league in which field position is as important as anything else.

I am glad that we finally have a coaching staff that knows how to use Roscoe. I watched him in college and he was a game breaker. I think that he can do the same thing if given the chance. The Roscoe haters probably will just keep on hating whatever he does though.

I wouldn't use any single measure, as it doesn't paint a complete picture. Average return is fine, but it doesn't account for bad fair catch decisions, failure to field the ball and letting it roll to the 3, fumbles, running backward 30 yards in a tie game, etc.

Also, the difference between Parrish and any of the two dozen guys behind him on that list works out to about 1-2 yards per game. I wouldn't hang my hat on that while ignoring the other factors above any more than I'd conclude Schaub is a better QB than Manning because his YPA is higher.

While I agree with most of that, the NFL regards return average for both kickoffs and punts as the league leader each year. When you say player A or player B "led the league" in KR or PR it's always based on average per return, as long as you have enough to qualify. That's just the way it is for those two categories, the same way that yards rushing, and QB rating are the two measures of RBs and QBs. It's not completely accurate, it's not the entire picture, but it's how it's qualified by the league and by the fans.

FWIW, it's pretty damn impressive that Roscoe Parrish has a better career PR average than, say, Rick Upchurch, who was tremendous. And he's ahead of Hester by almost a full yard per return.

It's far more than possible. It's a certainty. I'm on record (before these OTAs) that Roscoe is finally going to get a chance to show what he can do, and that should excite Bills fans.

Yeah, because he couldn't elude or break tackles while becoming the best PR in the history of the game.

Perhaps I chose my words poorly, but anyone watching training camp the past few years saw the exact same thing. For whatever reason, his impressive catches in practice don't translate to the field.