"Next year" is always the best year for drafting quarterback

SDS

Just a casual observation from reading the draft banter every year. I can't remember the last time someone didn't think that "next year" wasn't the bumper crop of top flight QB's. And every year rolls around and the prospects fade and we hear about the next great class coming up the year after...

That's it. :ph34r:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a casual observation from reading the draft banter every year. I can't remember the last time someone didn't think that "next year" wasn't the bumper crop of top flight QB's. And every year rolls around and the prospects fade and we hear about the next great class coming up the year after...

This is a great point! Look at the crop of QBs everyone is trying to get us excited about next year ("much better than this years' group").

This is a great point! Look at the crop of QBs everyone is trying to get us excited about next year ("much better than this years' group").

Well in this case I think it is true. Looks like there is some blue chip QBs coming out next year.

Unfortunately, when drafting a QB you never know.

Well in this case I think it is true. Looks like there is some blue chip QBs coming out next year.

Everyone said the same thing about Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow and Sam Bradford. Even though Bradford went #1 there were still a ton of questions around him.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

Hope springs eternal!

ha!

ive thought the same thing for years (re every year is a 'good' year for qbs)

picks are always a crapshoot but no more than with qbs. just tick off all the 1st round busts and you realize its much more likely to get a flop or a backup than a franchise

just look at leaf/manning. leaf goes first and was absolutely horrible (except of course winning his first game ever against the bills AT the ralph), and manning is a first ballot hofer

but yeah, next year we get our savior!

I think it's retarded to even talk about next year's draft before this season even gets started. How about making sure we suck first? It's like these guys are rooting for 1-15.

PTR

Always the argument from people who just can't accept that the bullet needs to be bitten at some point.

Waiting, putting it off all the time, grasping at straws from others teams' jetsam, then forever comparing young QBs to your previous HOFer, and you get the situation we've had post-Jim Kelly.

Next year's class includes Ryan Mallet and Jake Locker. If the past is any indication of the future, the top prospects will fade a bit in measurables, have injury concerns, or something that will cause second-guessing. Also, some guys not on the radar now will light it up, and the second-guessing about them will be whether they're one-year wonders. And then, the talk will be all about some junior who decided to go back for his senior year or a soph who will enter the draft as a junior next year, and the process repeats again. It's always something. A GM has to identify a guy that has reasonable or close-enough fundamentals required for their type of offense and then put in the resources required to get that guy.

Basing anything on what may be the case next year and the "paralysis of analysis" is a very good recipe for failure.

Here is what is also bad, the Bills org has always (and apperantly is still going to under Gailey) Keep giving losers like RJ, JP, Edwards etal more chances 'just in case' Instead of just cutting ties and going out and getting a top prospect. I dont care if you have to trade up or what it costs, at some point you gotta pull the trigger and do it.

So it looks like 'next year' will be the time as it seems they are going to let Edwards stink up the field one more year 'just to make sure' he wasn't the one.

You never ever know. Never.

It would certainly be nice to believe, but things change, and Luck is likely to stay in school for another year or two and Locker may decide to play baseball rather than football. Throw in one guy having a sub-par year like Jevan Snead (last year he was a sure-thing first-rounder ... till they actually played the season) and there IS nobody who looks like a first-rounder.

And beyond that, you're right, you never know.

It's certainly possible, but ... hey wait a minute, is the grass in that other field greener ... I think it is.

1983 would be a clear exception.

I don't recall anyone calling this a great year for drafting QB's, once Locker pulled out. And even then it was between he and Bradford, who was a begrudging first overall pick.

ha!

ive thought the same thing for years (re every year is a 'good' year for qbs)

picks are always a crapshoot but no more than with qbs. just tick off all the 1st round busts and you realize its much more likely to get a flop or a backup than a franchise

just look at leaf/manning. leaf goes first and was absolutely horrible (except of course winning his first game ever against the bills AT the ralph), and manning is a first ballot hofer

but yeah, next year we get our savior!

As previously stated Manning went 1st.

Also, his 1st game was in SD, not RWS, I know because I watched it on TV & in those years I never missed a home game.

That draft was not the crapshoot everyone with revisionist leanings makes it out to be. Manning was a senior, staying an extra year at Tennessee when he would have been #1 the prior draft. He was rock solid on & off the field & was one of the surest picks to come along. Leaf was a 1 year wonder, with size & arm strength that dazzled some scouts, but a guy who came to the combine overweight & with an attitude. Anyone who truly remembers that year knows that red flags were waiving on Leaf the moment he pulled that combine nonsense. On top of that, Leaf came out early, which back then non-senior QBs entering the draft mostly busted or greatly underachieved. SD got taken, just like Oakland did 3 years ago with Russell.

The funniest story I heard about Leaf was in an interview on the radio that ESPN did one morning this April. One of the guys who was with SD told the story of when SD started to question Leaf's commitment to the organization. After the draft, SD asked Leaf to come to SD to meet with them & the media. Leaf told them he had a buddy's bachelor party in Las Vegas & they would have to wait for him to finish up in Las Vegas 1st.

So looking at busts & hits without examining the stories behind each case does not accurately reflect who to avoid & who to draft-something we all hope Nix has enough experience in doing to avoid taking the Leafs & Russells. Based on the high premium Nix places on character & talent combined, I'm not worried about him choosing a Leaf or Russell like SD & Oak foolishly did in spite of work ethic problems that both clearly displayed before the draft.

That's it. :thumbdown:

Good point. Next years is always the best for everything for this team lately, might explain the decade of shame we have been going through. Someday they will plan for the present and not the future. The days in the NFL of playing for the future are long gone, teams every year go from last to first, yet Buffalo continues to try to build like it it still the 1970s or the 1980s.

Here is what is also bad, the Bills org has always (and apperantly is still going to under Gailey) Keep giving losers like RJ, JP, Edwards etal more chances 'just in case' Instead of just cutting ties and going out and getting a top prospect. I dont care if you have to trade up or what it costs, at some point you gotta pull the trigger and do it.

So it looks like 'next year' will be the time as it seems they are going to let Edwards stink up the field one more year 'just to make sure' he wasn't the one.

You won't ever let this go, will you?

You won't ever let this go, will you?

Letting it go is the first step towards acceptance. I won't accept TE as the starter unless he pulls a miracle off and becomes someone else. I'm glad the Bills didn't reach out and use a valuable resource on a QB this offseason because I felt the options were fairly weak. This is hardly a vote of confidence for TE though.

I hope he succeeds and wish him the best but let's be real, he has his job by default and even that is suposedly undetermined. When I think of the QB position in Buffalo, I'm certainly not thinking TE. It's far more comforting to daydream about future scenarios that involve the Bills and a legit starting QB.