"Next year" is always the best year for drafting quarterback

SDS

Guest dog14787
I was hoping the Bills would take Clausen in the 2nd round. But they didn't.

Putting Clausen aside for a second, I like the Troup pick quite a bit.

And we can't expect a team to pick a player if they don't like him/don't think they can work with him/think he doesn't fit the system/etc. It's pretty clear they rejected Clausen as their potential QB. What good would it do to draft him in the 2nd round? That's the part I don't understand about the hissy fit being thrown by those who wanted Calusen (or any other player the Bills decided not to choose). If the new coach and GM don't think a particular player will work, you can't expect them to draft that player...particularly in the early rounds. Judge them by the players they picked, not by those they didn't.

I agree, and one day when players like Marcus Easley and CJ Spiller are household names for most Bills fans folks will look back and say," you know what, Nix/Gailey drafted some real good players that really helped turn this team around".

Ask Thurman Thomas what this Bills team has been lacking over the last few years and he will tell you its big play makers. Players that take it to the house and score TD's, game breakers. CJ Spiller averaged over a TD a game through college.

7 extra points a game could very well be enough to propel us into the playoffs.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here you guys are... still talking QB's when the Bills will field an inferior O line again this year, and without proper protections and time to throw it won't matter which QB gets the starting job this season.

On a 1-10 scale Sam Bradford was a 9 as QB and the only reason he wasn't a solid 10 and a good reason for Buffalo to try and obtain him from the Rams is his shoulder injury history. Plus the fact he was never under the duress like some QB's are, he was protected well and he played well. In games where protections broke down he wasn't as sharp.

Locker, Luck, Mallet or any of next years QB's don't compare to Bradford just yet, although they might after this coming season is over. As of right now Bradford would be still drafted #1 ahead of all of next years crop. JMO

"IF" the Bills were to draft a a QB it will take around 3 years for him to fully develop, which he wouldn't / couldn't do with the O line the Bills are attempting field this year.

Chan Gailey is an "idiot" if he thinks that any rookie running back will improve pass protections and give the QB time to throw. I suppose you all will need to see that once the season starts.

I don't recall anyone calling this a great year for drafting QB's, once Locker pulled out. And even then it was between he and Bradford, who was a begrudging first overall pick.

Yeah, this year's group (top 4) really didn't accomplish much in college.

Locker would have been the number one pick, if not Bradford??

I don't recall anyone calling this a great year for drafting QB's, once Locker pulled out. And even then it was between he and Bradford, who was a begrudging first overall pick.

Exactly. No one ever thoguht this was going to be a good year for a top flight QB. Snead was the wild card but he should have went back to school anyways. Jake Locker probably would have been the first pick and he went back to school. Every other QB had major questions - Bradford (injuries, system QB?), Clausen (character, Brady Quinn, lack of wins), Tebow (completely re-inventing his throwing motion). It was a terrible year.

All I can guarantee about next year is a guy who has to learn how to take snaps under center (overrated to learn) and completely change how he throws a football won't be a 1st round pick because the rest of his position is so bad.

If the Bills struggle with QB play again and don't draft a QB next year, I'm done. But they tried to acquire McNabb (won't sign an extension) and had no real interest in any of the early QBs. I have no problem with this and I'm fine with Brown for this year.

I'll sound like a homer, but don't sleep on FSU's Christian Ponder. Kid's a real threat as a QB, and i wouldn't be shocked to see him go in round 1 next year. Barring injury, he should also contend for the Heisman.

:thumbsup:

You are a homer. Saw him play against Miami last season. Was NOT impressed.

Not before the 2010 season, it wasn't. Locker, Jevan Snead, Bradford and Clausen. It looked fantastic. After the season, when Snead looked lousy and Locker backed out, then and only then it suddenly looked below average.

And how below average will it turn out to have been if Bradford, Tebow and Clausen all become franchise QBs. Not saying they will, but it's certainly still a possibility. We'll see in a few years.

You are correct, sir; But the point still stands the 2010 QB draft class going into the draft was considered very sub par.

This whole string is based on non-sense.

And you can tell the level of knowledge of the posters when you see "Bills shouldn't have passed on Tebow in the 2nd."

Tebow was gone in the 1st. It's not wise to doubt a guy like Tebow, but #9 overall is a huge reach.

2011 is TBD, but already there are 5 QBs that look like better NFL prospects than Tebow or Clausen and 3 that look better than Bradford.

Watch those Stanford, U Dub, and Arkansas games this season.

If Luck and Mallet don't come out or don't perform this season; You will have almost repeat of 2010. Because Locker, Devlin, and Ponder are probably on par or a better class than Bradford, Tebow and Claussen. Although you won't have the Catholic boys whining about how great Claussen is; you'll have the Florida State people talking about how Ponder is the greatest Seminole QB ever (which is like being the fastest swimmer in the special Olympics.)

Yeah, this year's group (top 4) really didn't accomplish much in college.

The NFL doesn't go by what QB's did in college, otherwise Tebow would have been considered a great prospect and taken first overall (maybe they learned from watching your boy Matt Leinart?). All along everyone's been saying he would be a project. And McCoy's arm thrilled no one. Clausen was considered a top prospect and had a good year, but the Irish struggled and he was taken in the 2nd. Who out of them becomes a good QB remains to be seen.

Locker would have been the number one pick, if not Bradford??

There was talk of that, yes. Bradford's durability was a major concern.

The NFL doesn't go by what QB's did in college, otherwise Tebow would have been considered a great prospect and taken first overall (maybe they learned from watching your boy Matt Leinart?). All along everyone's been saying he would be a project. And McCoy's arm thrilled no one. Clausen was considered a top prospect and had a good year, but the Irish struggled and he was taken in the 2nd. Who out of them becomes a good QB remains to be seen.

There was talk of that, yes. Bradford's durability was a major concern.

They don't huh? wow.

:thumbsup:

You are a homer. Saw him play against Miami last season. Was NOT impressed.

Ok smartass, what part of the Miami game left you unimpressed? Was it his 24-41 for 294 (along with 50 rushing) and 3 TDs (2 passing, 1 rushing) versus only 1 int? Was it when he drove the noles down inside the miami 5 yard line at the end of the game only to watch a wide open WR drop the game winning TD as time expired?

Also, did you watch him play any other games? I thought not.

Matt Leinart.

Leinart was a Heisman trophy winner and national champion who was drafted in the first round. Clearly "the NFL" didn't consider this when he was drafted, huh?

You should go back and reread your own original post.

Mentioning JPL, I was trying to help you out--he was clearly a guy who "the NFL" didn't consider what he did in college.

You can knock on Leinart all you wish----he is the likely starter after sitting behind a HOF QB. JPL sat (or was benched) behind such stars as Kelly Holcomb, Trent Edwards and Jamrcus Russell.

I still like my pick better.

Now I understant everyone has their opinion, but I just cannot justify passing on clausen that late. I really wanted the Bills to land Tebow by trading back a bit becasue I think he is going to be great. There are so many things I cannot justify, like wanting Ngata so bad and taking Whitner, thinking we just traded up for Mangold and landing McCargo, Screaming to trade up infront of the 9ers to land Willis, wondering why we took McKelvin over DRC and why we even needed another corner, still cannot figure out Maybin over Orakpo....

I dont think this years draft panned out any differednt. Again, just venting..

Excellent knowledge and I couldn''t agree with you more. We need more guys like you on this forum.

You are correct, sir; But the point still stands the 2010 QB draft class going into the draft was considered very sub par.

This whole string is based on non-sense.

And you can tell the level of knowledge of the posters when you see "Bills shouldn't have passed on Tebow in the 2nd."

Tebow was gone in the 1st. It's not wise to doubt a guy like Tebow, but #9 overall is a huge reach.

2011 is TBD, but already there are 5 QBs that look like better NFL prospects than Tebow or Clausen and 3 that look better than Bradford.

Watch those Stanford, U Dub, and Arkansas games this season.

If Luck and Mallet don't come out or don't perform this season; You will have almost repeat of 2010. Because Locker, Devlin, and Ponder are probably on par or a better class than Bradford, Tebow and Claussen. Although you won't have the Catholic boys whining about how great Claussen is; you'll have the Florida State people talking about how Ponder is the greatest Seminole QB ever (which is like being the fastest swimmer in the special Olympics.)

You said "But the point still stands the 2010 QB draft class going into the draft was considered very sub par." You're right about that. But the reason that is true is that there was huge movement during the season. Which almost always happens. Which means that it is now very very much too early to say anything about next year's draft class of QBs and expect it to be treated as anything but pure desperate hope.

We'll know after the season what kind of class this is. Now, we simply have no idea.

The OP was right. Before the season, it always seems like it's going to be a fantastic year.

Leinart was a Heisman trophy winner and national champion who was drafted in the first round. Clearly "the NFL" didn't consider this when he was drafted, huh?

You should go back and reread your own original post.

Mentioning JPL, I was trying to help you out--he was clearly a guy who "the NFL" didn't consider what he did in college.

You can knock on Leinart all you wish----he is the likely starter after sitting behind a HOF QB. JPL sat (or was benched) behind such stars as Kelly Holcomb, Trent Edwards and Jamrcus Russell.

I still like my pick better.

Yeah, mostly because you'd actually heard of Leinart before he was drafted. My point was that teams have seen what a bust he's been given the chances he'd been given and the offense he had, versus his college production. And this probably led to a re-evaluation of a guy like Tebow, who had a similar pedigree, and who probably would have lasted well into the 2nd round had the Broncos not panicked and reached for him, based on erroneous reports that the Bills were "desperately trying to trade up to get him."

But hey, it's not his fault he was the 10th pick. I'm sure he'll do well in the UFL next season.

I wouldn't mind seeing how Houston's Case Keenum winds up doing next season. He's already posted back to back 5,000 yard seasons and with the only potentially "big game" that UCLA his he could be primed for another. His highlight reel against the powerhouse schools might be limited, but the numbers don't lie. Just another name out there

I wouldn't mind seeing how Houston's Case Keenum winds up doing next season. He's already posted back to back 5,000 yard seasons and with the only potentially "big game" that UCLA his he could be primed for another. His highlight reel against the powerhouse schools might be limited, but the numbers don't lie. Just another name out there

The idea of waiting for another year for a QB is specious at best. And I doubt anyone does that. If you think a guy is good, you take him. You don't wait for a potentially better player next year. I don't think the Bills liked anyone outside of Bradford and consider Brown a developmental longshot, given where they drafted him.

The idea of waiting for another year for a QB is specious at best. And I doubt anyone does that. If you think a guy is good, you take him. You don't wait for a potentially better player next year. I don't think the Bills liked anyone outside of Bradford and consider Brown a developmental longshot, given where they drafted him.

Well I dont think the guy we wanted under center was in this years draft, I also dont think that Nix wanted to get whoever we thought was our guy murdered in his first year behind our line. The league is win now and we all know that. But as of now we have 0 quality starters at QB, we have back ups. So if you think that waiting for a certain guy thats going to be in next years draft when we are already looking at having one of the top 10-15 picks is wrong, I dont follow. I'm sure the Rams knew that Bradford was their guy before the season ended and if we know we selecting 1st we're also probably going to know who we want before it gets close to draft time.

Exactly. No one ever thoguht this was going to be a good year for a top flight QB. Snead was the wild card but he should have went back to school anyways. Jake Locker probably would have been the first pick and he went back to school. Every other QB had major questions - Bradford (injuries, system QB?), Clausen (character, Brady Quinn, lack of wins), Tebow (completely re-inventing his throwing motion). It was a terrible year.

Some links about QBs for the last draft...

This article mentions 3 QBs as possible top 10 picks. It doesn't even mention Snead, Locker, or Clausen.

This article has 3 "franchise" QBs (I won't count Snead since he didn't come out) and 4 possible starters.

Here's an article about darkhorse John Skelton.

Hope springs eternal. The marketing genius is out in the summer and there are plenty of kids being hyped for the upcoming NCAA season and their chances in the NFL. The only constant is that things change from the hope and hype of the summer to the final evaluations in the spring between the combine and the draft.