OMFG

The best baseball writer (IMHO) gives us his take

As with the Halladay game, the strike zone was ENORMOUS! I'm beginning to think that after Joe West's comments about the games taking forever, the umps have taken it upon themselves to speed up the games. Scores/ERAs seem to be dropping and we've had 3 2 perfect games and a no-hitter.

This game was played in 1 hour and 44 minutes.

If they want to speed up the games, all the umpires have to do is call the actual strike zone instead of the six inch, slightly wider than the plate rectangle they normally call.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they want to speed up the games, all the umpires have to do is call the actual strike zone instead of the six inch, slightly wider than the plate rectangle they normally call.

Yup

My biggest gripe with the strikezone is the upper-limit. In the rulebook, the zone is supposed to extend to the armpits of the crouched batter. Tends to be these days that any pitch above the belt is called a ball-high.

I'm glad Joyce manned up about the call. It was the right move. But, his career is still going to be defined by this call.

I've been a baseball fan for almost 25 years, and i think MLB needs instant replay in the worst way. There's no reason to live with a horribly bad call when the right call can be made. And spare me the "tradition" arguments. Just because something is a tradition doesn't mean that its not incredibly stupid. Let the umps call balls and strikes, but with any other questionable play, allow the manager to challenge the call, similar to football.

If you want the game sped up, stop focusing on insignificant issues like the additional few minutes for a replay, and focus on the real time wasters, like the batter spending 15 seconds rearranging his batting gloves after every single pitch.

I'm glad Joyce manned up about the call. It was the right move. But, his career is still going to be defined by this call.

Who ever remembers the umps' names? We'll quickly forget this guy's name. And for all the talk of how Galarraga was robbed of his historic moment, I think people will remember this one far longer than the other two perfect games this year. He threw a perfect game and everyone knows it. I think this result may actually be better for him.

Who ever remembers the umps' names? We'll quickly forget this guy's name. And for all the talk of how Galarraga was robbed of his historic moment, I think people will remember this one far longer than the other two perfect games this year. He threw a perfect game and everyone knows it. I think this result may actually be better for him.

The second I saw the play, I immediately thought "Don Denkinger finally has someone to take the pressure off." I'll never forget Jim Joyce. First for the call, then for doing EXACTLY the right things after.

Man, if the last 24 hours don't make you think "finally! for one day baseball wasn't about millionaires and bull ****" nothing will.

Today when Galarraga handed the lineup to Joyce, and Joyce started to tear up, I thought "this is one of those stories you see that happen in HS sports that you WISH would happen in the big leagues".

The guy messed up, sure. And to say he didn't mess up at a more important time than, say, the 3rd inning is clearly asinine.

BUT, to compare it to a major screw up in the workplace is far more asinine. "If I put a staple through a document that says "do not staple" at work, nothing much would happen. But if that document was the original Declaration of Independence, I would get FIRED!"

The fact that he has to live in a world of morons calling for his job/life for the rest of his days is punishment enough (actually, far more than enough). Fire him? For one really bad call, at a horrendous time, after 22 years of excellence? Yeah, that's reasonable. :rolleyes:

Man, if the last 24 hours don't make you think "finally! for one day baseball wasn't about millionaires and bull ****" nothing will.

Today when Galarraga handed the lineup to Joyce, and Joyce started to tear up, I thought "this is one of those stories you see that happen in HS sports that you WISH would happen in the big leagues".

The guy messed up, sure. And to say he didn't mess up at a more important time than, say, the 3rd inning is clearly asinine.

BUT, to compare it to a major screw up in the workplace is far more asinine. "If I put a staple through a document that says "do not staple" at work, nothing much would happen. But if that document was the original Declaration of Independence, I would get FIRED!"

The fact that he has to live in a world of morons calling for his job/life for the rest of his days is punishment enough (actually, far more than enough). Fire him? For one really bad call, at a horrendous time, after 22 years of excellence? Yeah, that's reasonable. :death:

Yep, well said.

A few acts of decency and sportsmanship between two guys who COULD be feuding with each other have turned this from a sad story into an inspiring one. For those among us who like to wax philosophical about why athletes can't be better role models, just tell your children about Armando Galarraga :rolleyes:

The second I saw the play, I immediately thought "Don Denkinger finally has someone to take the pressure off." I'll never forget Jim Joyce. First for the call, then for doing EXACTLY the right things after.

Well said. I'll remember Armando Gallaraga too.

The fact that he has to live in a world of morons calling for his job/life for the rest of his days is punishment enough (actually, far more than enough). Fire him? For one really bad call, at a horrendous time, after 22 years of excellence? Yeah, that's reasonable. :rolleyes:

There was a guy on one of the radio shows I was listening to who said: "I'd have gone back to the dugout and gotten a bat, taken it out there and made him change the call. That's what's wrong with this country. People accept getting cheated out of things."

Yeah, dumbass. That's what wrong with the country. :death:

Thumbs up to Gallaraga, Joyce, Jimmy Leyland, and the fans who cheered.

Since this guy is from Oregon this is all I've heard about all day. :rolleyes:

Joyce indicated in a brief interview with reporters that his family had been targeted. MLB officials wouldn’t confirm whether any specific threats of harm had been made.

“I wish my family was out of this,” Joyce said, still teary-eyed some 12 hours later. “I wish they would just direct it all to me.

“My wife is a rock. My kids are very strong. But they don’t deserve this. I’ll take it. I’ll take it. I’ll take whatever you can give me. I’ll handle it like a man. And I’ll do the best I can.”

Joyce didn’t specify what “it” was, but he said, “It’s a big problem.”

Joyce indicated in a brief interview with reporters that his family had been targeted. MLB officials wouldn’t confirm whether any specific threats of harm had been made.

“I wish my family was out of this,” Joyce said, still teary-eyed some 12 hours later. “I wish they would just direct it all to me.

“My wife is a rock. My kids are very strong. But they don’t deserve this. I’ll take it. I’ll take it. I’ll take whatever you can give me. I’ll handle it like a man. And I’ll do the best I can.”

Joyce didn’t specify what “it” was, but he said, “It’s a big problem.”

The people harassing Joyce's family deserve to be drawn and quartered.