Lynch arrives in Buffalo- Per PFT

OK, let's clarify something. If I'm an hourly employee, and I'm asked to come to work, without pay, I don't come to work. In my case, and Marshawn's, we are salaried. I'm paid the same amount each year, whether I work 14 hours a day, or 8 hours. If I choose to come in on a Saturday every now and than, my pay stays the same.

Marshawn gets paid the same whether he shows up or not. Don't make this a pay issue, it's not. It's about being commited, or not being commited to his profession.

That's fine. He is a salary employee. He is also a unionized employee. Per the collective bargaining agreement, he is afforded the luxury to not come to voluntary workouts.

He is exercising his right to not show up. It's not that big of a deal. As a salary employee, if your boss says "You can come in on Saturday or Not, it's not mandatory, then you're going to tell me you're showing up on Saturday?"

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lynch scored more TDs because he has had far more "and goal" carries then Fred Jackson has. Over his career Marshawn has had 46 "and goal" carries and has converted 10 (21.7%) of them while Freddy has 18 "and goal" carries and converted on 3 attempts (16.7%).

He's better than Freddy around the goal line but not by that much.

I love how everyone who was yelling TD's shut up after this post.

While it would have been nice if he'd shown-up to OTA's, missing them won't be what makes or breaks his season. And word is he reported in great shape. If he stays out of trouble and has a good season, this will all be a big "who give a frig?"

Exactly. Be very careful hysteria lurks around every corner. Getting a credible LT is more of an issue than whether ML shows up for an activity that he is not obligated to show up for.

By not coming to voluntary workouts?

Whether he comes in for OTAs or not is his choice. He is only hurting his own standing with the team and coaching staff. Lynch is smart enough to understand that with him/his agent making it known that he wanted to be traded combined with not showing up for some of the OTAs that it would stimulate a strong negative response.

I would have preferred that he come in for all of the OTAs. He chose not to. That is his prerogative. The over-sized outraged response to his non-appearance is very disproportionate to his decision not to appear.

The judicious and smart thing for him to do was to demonstrate to this new regime that he was committed to be an important player for the Bills. He decided to work out on his own. When he starts practicing he will be judged by his performance. I'm not going to invest any emotion on him as others are doing. He is not worth the bother.

My view on this must be so wrong.....

- A first round pick

- Making a boatload of money

- Probably one strike away from being out of the league for a year

I want my first round picks to be charactor guys (see CJ Spiller) when you have a large chunk of money going to someone that needs to be the guy out in front showing the others what it means to work....paying the price for success......

Now yu could argue that the bills chose to make him that pick and that the camps are not manditory.......but a real leader would be there. And we need leaders on this team.....

Exactly. Be very careful hysteria lurks around every corner. Getting a credible LT is more of an issue than whether ML shows up for an activity that he is not obligated to show up for.

Baby steps, JC. I'd settle for having a LT who got the starting reps all throughout training camp and who wasn't promoted to starter just days before the season began.

My view on this must be so wrong.....

- A first round pick

- Making a boatload of money

- Probably one strike away from being out of the league for a year

I want my first round picks to be charactor guys (see CJ Spiller) when you have a large chunk of money going to someone that needs to be the guy out in front showing the others what it means to work....paying the price for success......

Now yu could argue that the bills chose to make him that pick and that the camps are not manditory.......but a real leader would be there. And we need leaders on this team.....

Marshawn Lynch is not a leader. He never was and never will be. The Bills selected him and they got who they got. Why do you think their record over the last decade has been so miserable? It certainly wasn't due to making an abundance of smart picks.

ML has talent. That is not the issue. The issue with him is does he have the maturity to do what he has to do to develop into a prime time player? Right now his behavior speaks for itself.

Baby steps, JC. I'd settle for having a LT who got the starting reps all throughout training camp and who wasn't promoted to starter just days before the season began.

You can have a LT getting most of the reps in training camp and the preseason and still have him be inadequate and not prepared for the real season. I will take a stop gap veteran LT who can do the job at an acceptable level rather than a player who is going to get his qb killed sooner rather than later.

There is no need to compare this year to last year's follies. If you are not willing to compete then what is the point?

Whether he comes in for OTAs or not is his choice. He is only hurting his own standing with the team and coaching staff. Lynch is smart enough to understand that with him/his agent making it known that he wanted to be traded combined with not showing up for some of the OTAs that it would stimulate a strong negative response.

I would have preferred that he come in for all of the OTAs. He chose not to. That is his prerogative. The over-sized outraged response to his non-appearance is very disproportionate to his decision not to appear.

The judicious and smart thing for him to do was to demonstrate to this new regime that he was committed to be an important player for the Bills. He decided to work out on his own. When he starts practicing he will be judged by his performance. I'm not going to invest any emotion on him as others are doing. He is not worth the bother.

Hey i agree. But bottom line is if he comes in and rocks camp, he'll be fine.

Freddy is 29 years old, it doesnt matter that he's had less carries, anyone who is 29 or older and played sports knows you dont feel the same at that age as compared to 24. you are also more injury prone.

That's fine. He is a salary employee. He is also a unionized employee. Per the collective bargaining agreement, he is afforded the luxury to not come to voluntary workouts.

He is exercising his right to not show up. It's not that big of a deal. As a salary employee, if your boss says "You can come in on Saturday or Not, it's not mandatory, then you're going to tell me you're showing up on Saturday?"

yes, i probably would show up -- at the very least it would not be a situation where i said id be in a little late, and then not show.

You can have a LT getting most of the reps in training camp and the preseason and still have him be inadequate and not prepared for the real season. I will take a stop gap veteran LT who can do the job at an acceptable level rather than a player who is going to get his qb killed sooner rather than later.

There is no need to compare this year to last year's follies. If you are not willing to compete then what is the point?

It's more than merely willingness to compete JC. You need talent, and the jury is still out on whether Bell has that or not. You get better by playing, and especially playing against good/better players. Bell didn't get ANY playing time as a rookie, didn't get the starting reps in training camp and missed 2 weeks of training camp with an injury. So yes, I think identifying the starting LT early in training camp and having him get the reps and NOT cutting him before the season starts, will help the team out a lot period, as well as compared to last year. And that doesn't take into account the offensive scheme being geared towards the no-huddle and then getting scrapped, the offensive scheme being crap all along, the injuries to O-line and Bell himself, etc.

As sad as it is for some of you to believe it, Lynch is only a year short of getting a degree from one of the best universities in the country. I doubt Applebee's is in his future. But thank god, he finally showed up to VOLUNTARY offseason drills.

From what I have read he has showed up to Buffalo but not any of the off season activities. Sounds like he is still pushing for a trade, and he will get it, it is today's NFL. Remember Jason Peters? Just about all players that hold out and whine for a trade get what they want nowadays.

Once we start training camp, will anyone even care about missing a week of voluntary practice? I think not but at least Lynch gives us something to talk about in the offseason.

In most cases no they wouldn't care, but with his already shakey situation and with a new coaching staff, if he really wanted to play here and try to win his job back, not coming in isn't the way to do it. He is already getting on the bad side of this new staff.

While it would have been nice if he'd shown-up to OTA's, missing them won't be what makes or breaks his season. And word is he reported in great shape. If he stays out of trouble and has a good season, this will all be a big "who give a frig?"

Reported to whom? Where?

Isn't this what we heard about Peters when he held out?

From what I have read he has showed up to Buffalo but not any of the off season activities. Sounds like he is still pushing for a trade, and he will get it, it is today's NFL. Remember Jason Peters? Just about all players that hold out and whine for a trade get what they want nowadays.

Guess you haven't heard of a little thing called leverage. And Marshawn has none, whereas JP had plenty. We've already got 2 players on the roster who can step in and fill the void, and ML has 3 years left on his contract. He ain't going nowhere. Funny thing is, if he wants to be moved, his best bet would be to show up and help the team. But, no one ever accused ML of being smart.

Before I say anything, let me say I love Buffalo. I grew up there and most of my family still lives there. I love to come home and spend time with them and visit places I used to hang out. But it's the attitude that this guy (the poster) seems to have that I'm glad I'm not around anymore. Do the least amount of work that I need to do to get by. Don't ask, or expect me to do more. Take evry sick day that is coming to me, whether I'm sick or not. Quitin time is 4:30, don't expect me to be around at 4:31. Matter of fact I'll start shuttin down at 3:30 to me sure I'm out the door at 4:30. It's an attitude, or lazyness, that gets you nowhere. I guess that's why he has no problem with Lynch.

To answer the question, again, yeah, I would most likely show up on Saturday if asked. Doesn't get me anymore money, but most of the people I work with would also do it, and not complain.

Before I say anything, let me say I love Buffalo. I grew up there and most of my family still lives there. I love to come home and spend time with them and visit places I used to hang out. But it's the attitude that this guy (the poster) seems to have that I'm glad I'm not around anymore. Do the least amount of work that I need to do to get by. Don't ask, or expect me to do more. Take evry sick day that is coming to me, whether I'm sick or not. Quitin time is 4:30, don't expect me to be around at 4:31. Matter of fact I'll start shuttin down at 3:30 to me sure I'm out the door at 4:30. It's an attitude, or lazyness, that gets you nowhere. I guess that's why he has no problem with Lynch.

To answer the question, again, yeah, I would most likely show up on Saturday if asked. Doesn't get me anymore money, but most of the people I work with would also do it, and not complain.

that attitude does not apply to only Buffalo. that is most of America, my friend.

How about a reasonable deal for LT Jammal Brown from the Saints? The assumption is that he is healthy. In my view the best way to develop D. Bell is to incrementally work him in and let him develop through increased playing time. You can periodically play Bell on both the right side and left side to give him an opportunity to learn and develop. In addition, he can be an important depth player for us.

Last year D. Bell was clearly over-matched. It wasn't his fault. He was put in a situation he wasn't ready for. Counting on him to be a starting LT is taking a big risk. I'm just not comfortable with the present LT situation outlook.

Reported to whom? Where?

Isn't this what we heard about Peters when he held out?

That was per Scouts.com's Adam Caplan. And Jauron said that Peters reported in shape, although not game shape since he hadn't practiced in months. And that was days before the season started. The season is a long ways off still and I doubt Lynch holds-out.

That was per Scouts.com's Adam Caplan. And Jauron said that Peters reported in shape, although not game shape since he hadn't practiced in months. And that was days before the season started. The season is a long ways off still and I doubt Lynch holds-out.

Where did Caplan see Lynch working out?

Peters was a mess when he arrived. Was sucking supplemental O2 for the most of the season. Jauron also said how happy the Bills were to learn that McCargo was bouncing back from a trade to Indy. Zero credibility (well, almost zero, apparently..).

Where did Caplan see Lynch working out?

Peters was a mess when he arrived. Was sucking supplemental O2 for the most of the season. Jauron also said how happy the Bills were to learn that McCargo was bouncing back from a trade to Indy. Zero credibility (well, almost zero, apparently..).

Caplan didn't say. But we'll find out soon enough whether he's in shape or not.

As for Peters, I recall him sucking O2 for the first month, and then just playing poorly because he didn't give a ****. It was obvious that he'd be out of game shape when he reported, on the eve of the season.

Caplan didn't say. But we'll find out soon enough whether he's in shape or not.

As for Peters, I recall him sucking O2 for the first month, and then just playing poorly because he didn't give a ****. It was obvious that he'd be out of game shape when he reported, on the eve of the season.

Since he hasn't reported after all, guess we will have to wait.

Marshawn is a young kid who has been thrust into the limelight and been given a ton of money then proceeded to do what many young rich kids do and make bad decisions.... He didn't shoot or rape someone, he made mistake many others have made. I am not apologizing for those transgressions I just think that we should allow Marshawn the opportunity to learn from the mistakes and become a man.... AND a great back. Let's not forget that Marshawn is only a tenth slower in the 40y than CJ is....

You are correct he didn't shoot or rape anyone, but he could have killed someone! He could have shot someone too with that gun he was carrying in the trunk. I, like many Bills fans had such high hopes and excitement for Lynch after the first two seasons, then he started getting in trouble. Last season he came in, obviously weighing more than before, and it wasn't in muscle. He seemed like he lost a step and starting dancing around instead of hitting the holes like he used to. I would love nothing more to see Lynch get his head out of his anus, get in shape, come in with a positive attitude, ok first he just has to come in, when he does come in to run like he used to. NFL coaches get paid to win, if Lynch came into OTAs in shape, and busted his ass and showed everyone he is the best back on this roster like he can be, he will be the starter. As it is now, not coming in, even if it is voluntary, is only putting him behind in learning the new staff's offense, getting on the sh*t list of Gailey and isn't getting tighter with his teammates. He is under contract for the next 3 years, at a relatively cheap price too, so the Bills are under no pressure to get rid of him, which is probably the reason for the high asking price. He has the potential to be a Pro Bowl running back again, but sadly, his attitude and lack of efforts are probably going to get him out of the league before it gets him back in the Pro Bowl. That 10th of a second slower than CJ obviously wasn't measured last season, he looked more like 10 seconds slower, maybe that was a result of the month long vacation he got to start the season that the rest of his teammates didn't get.

Do you foresee a holdout?

Not necessarily. You earlier claimed that "word is he reported in great shape", when, actually, he had not reported. And may or may not be in great shape.

And what, exactly would he be holding out for? His starting position?

Not necessarily. You earlier claimed that "word is he reported in great shape", when, actually, he had not reported. And may or may not be in great shape.

Well, reports are that he's been working out at OBD. I guess we could argue over what "reporting" entails.

And what, exactly would he be holding out for? His starting position?

A trade?

Why is Lynch such a hot topic? If you are crying about or wishing that Lynch is trade, you are wasting your time. No one wants him. Is he a lemon? Depends on the coaching. If they can get Lynch back into "Beastmode" everyone would be in a better mood. If they can't reach him, they will waive him. Either way is a win for the fans.

I am about the positive. I want to see the thug do well. I know he took twenty dollar from a defenseless lady but I am seeing him doing things that the other two backs can't do which is the body type to bang it up the middle. If he runs like he cares, Lynch will get the 2-3+ needed yards without wearing out the other to RBs. Many of you will say that Freddy did it last year. But, I am here to tell you that Freddy is not going to be the same kind of Freddy that we saw last year. Last year, he was out to prove to the world that he belongs in this league. Plus, Freddy had so many touches because that he was only option that the Bills had because Lynch head was not into football. Lynch suspension made it so his mind be on suspension for the rest of the season.

Back to the positive. With Spiller in the picture, we are going to see the same thing that you see in the Saints, running back by committee (they used three backs and a full back). I would hope we see some formation with two running backs in the back field. Crap is written saying that the running backs have a hard time finding rhythm when they don't have enough touches. OK, I guess. However, they don't ask the running back if they did have that many touches would they be around for the entire season because they will be injured. Having three running backs in the game will save the legs of all three running backs. I agree they won't be the headlines like the single backs. But all three backs have a good chance of being strong through out the entire season. Who knows?