Flutie was a STUD !!

I'll never forget the '98 season…

Rob Johnson was the starting QB…we were 0-3 going into the bye week.

Erkie Kailebourne was Chairman for the Business backs the Bills campaign. The team was trying to sell the suites and club seating to trigger an extension in the lease.

Tickets were not selling.

There was a very real fear that our fair city would lose its football team.

Then Flutie took over as the starting QB and suddenly that AWESOME DEFENSE WHICH STARTED THE SEASON 0-3 went 10-3 down the stretch.

People who say it was the great defense do not have a clear memory of that season.

As soon as Flutie took over for Johnson, the Bills started winning, Flutie Fever took over, the luxury seating sold out, and the Bills stadium lease was extended.

And many Bills fans are ingrates.

The 1998 Wild Card game in Miami?

The game we lost 24-17? (nice job, defense)

The game that Flutie threw for 360 yards and ran for 29 more?

The game where Eric Moulds set an NFL record with 240 yards receiving?

The game where Flutie twice (and almost 3 times) rallied the Bills from deficits?

The game where Flutie led a late heroic comeback, twice driving the Bills down the field late in the 4th quarter?

Do you remember the second last drive…the unsportsmanlike conduct call against Andre Reed? A horrible call by the officials…we had to settle for a field goal.

Do you remember the final drive? Flutie led the team on a 10 play, 64 yard drive culminating with him being stripped from behind on a great play by Trace Armstrong.

Flutie rescued the season (remember our great defense and Rob Johnson were 0-3 before Flutie took over) AND the Bills existence in Buffalo.

And people want to slam him for losing against Miami.

It was after this game that Jimmy Johnson, the Miami coach stomped on a box of Flutie Flakes.

Unbelievable, many Bills "fans" have since treated Flutie with less class than did the Miami coach.

The moron "Coach Dickerson" did one thing while polluting the airwaves on local sports radio: he was able to brainwash many idiot fans into thinking that Doug Flutie did not contribute heavily to the Bills last two playoff seasons.

Flutie was not a great quarterback. But he was the ultimate competitor and managed to win games in spite of his physical limitations. He was a resourceful, savvy, and fiery player. Don't care what kind of person he was. Wish any of our quarterbacks since Flutie had his competitive fire.

WOW !! I thought i was a Flutie fan writing this post ,I still have a box of Flutie flakes that sit on the top of my cupboard but man you got me beat ,(Great reply) but i am glad that there are other fans out there that can appreciate talent and heart when they see it .Flutie will always be one of my favorite Bills & in some ways possibley one of the ultimate Bills because in true Bills form he was always considered the underdog !!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man i just watched a Bills classic video on Rumblings & i don't care who you are or what you say Flutie was not only a winner with more heart than most but he was a Stud when it came to Q.B. :P

I just watched the same video and could not agree more. He was just a damn good football player.

Anyone who denigrates Flutie's play is advertising their football ignorance. The stats that matter are wins and losses. Flutie was smart, didn't take a lot of sacks, didn't turn the ball over much, could improvise and turn a 10 yard loss into a 5 yard gain, and when the game was on the line, more often than not, you could count on Flutie to come through in the clutch.

Part of the reason that Bills D was so good was that Flutie and co, while not a high output offense, moved the ball, ate the clock, and avoided costly plays.

Ditching Flutie for Rob "Suck My" Johnson was plain dumb. During the same stretch playing with the same team Flutie won 2/3 of the time, RJ won 1/3 of the time. The little guy was solid, and the Bills haven't had anyone as exciting to watch since.

To be fair, RJ played stiffer competition. He still sucked badly.

Bull :P !!!!!! Stiffer comp my :wallbash: !!! he was a reject just look at his career achievements & compare them to Fluties come on put some glasses on so you can read the righting on the wall right in front of you !!!!!

Man i just watched a Bills classic video on Rumblings & i don't care who you are or what you say Flutie was not only a winner with more heart than most but he was a Stud when it came to Q.B. :P

you forgot to put the "PI" in the middle of your description

There is no question that Flutie energized Buffalo fans to buy those club seats. He probably single-handedly saved the Bills that year. And he had a great game that day...BUT...he was one yard from the tying TD and he got the ball stripped from his hands. It might have been a great defensive play, but he still lost us the game.

Did the refs job us? Yes. Did Flutie play a great game? Absolutely. Did he choke on the last play of the game? Without question. To be a great QB you have to close the deal. Being a stud right up to the moment you blow it still means you blew it. Funny how no one talks about the great game JP Losman had against the Jets when he fumbled the game away. All we talk about is how he lost us the game.

Doug was awesome but his legend exceeds reality.

PTR

Again i say compare J.P.'s career accomplishments & stats to Fluties NO COMPARISON WHAT SO EVER !!NOT EVEN CLOSE END OF DISCUSSION !!

so terrible that we couldnt beat him when we played against him in SD? did we not have enough film on him a year after he was our qb for 3 years? He was always good but had a bad coordinator that couldnt adjust to defenses. I think it was Pendry, 5 wide spread??? only the best can run that, how bout a little play action w the run?, thats when flutie excelled.

worse option that rob johnson?? You dont know football. Stop posting.

How'd the rest of that season end for Flutie? Lost his next 9 starts. What I said was It did not neccesarily follow from what I was saying that I though Johnson was a better option. Nothing like misrepresenting someone's oppinion.

People saying it was the great defense are talking about the 1999 season (LEARN TO READ)...Flutie gets plenty of credit for 1998....dishonesty is a disgusting character trait...guess your parents never taught you about being honest?

...if you think the midget was any good in 99, you better keep an eye out for the DEA because you have to be on drugs...HE STUNK in 1999...ran around like a chicken with its head cut off, not throwing the ball to WIDE OPEN WRs...our #1 defense that year (AGAIN, 1999, not 1998 is what we're referring to) carried the team

Okay Philster. So according to you:

I don't know how to read.

I'm dishonest (because MY parents, not yours, didn't teach me anything).

I'm on drugs.

Anything else you'd like to add?

Congratulations. You're the first person ever on this board to accuse me of any of the above. Good job, buddy. Stay classy.

I'll never forget the '98 season…

Rob Johnson was the starting QB…we were 0-3 going into the bye week.

Erkie Kailebourne was Chairman for the Business backs the Bills campaign. The team was trying to sell the suites and club seating to trigger an extension in the lease.

Tickets were not selling.

There was a very real fear that our fair city would lose its football team.

Then Flutie took over as the starting QB and suddenly that AWESOME DEFENSE WHICH STARTED THE SEASON 0-3 went 10-3 down the stretch.

People who say it was the great defense do not have a clear memory of that season.

As soon as Flutie took over for Johnson, the Bills started winning, Flutie Fever took over, the luxury seating sold out, and the Bills stadium lease was extended.

And many Bills fans are ingrates.

The 1998 Wild Card game in Miami?

The game we lost 24-17? (nice job, defense)

The game that Flutie threw for 360 yards and ran for 29 more?

The game where Eric Moulds set an NFL record with 240 yards receiving?

The game where Flutie twice (and almost 3 times) rallied the Bills from deficits?

The game where Flutie led a late heroic comeback, twice driving the Bills down the field late in the 4th quarter?

Do you remember the second last drive…the unsportsmanlike conduct call against Andre Reed? A horrible call by the officials…we had to settle for a field goal.

Do you remember the final drive? Flutie led the team on a 10 play, 64 yard drive culminating with him being stripped from behind on a great play by Trace Armstrong.

Flutie rescued the season (remember our great defense and Rob Johnson were 0-3 before Flutie took over) AND the Bills existence in Buffalo.

And people want to slam him for losing against Miami.

It was after this game that Jimmy Johnson, the Miami coach stomped on a box of Flutie Flakes.

Unbelievable, many Bills "fans" have since treated Flutie with less class than did the Miami coach.

The moron "Coach Dickerson" did one thing while polluting the airwaves on local sports radio: he was able to brainwash many idiot fans into thinking that Doug Flutie did not contribute heavily to the Bills last two playoff seasons.

Flutie was not a great quarterback. But he was the ultimate competitor and managed to win games in spite of his physical limitations. He was a resourceful, savvy, and fiery player. Don't care what kind of person he was. Wish any of our quarterbacks since Flutie had his competitive fire.

I think this is how most religions get started.

PTR

How'd the rest of that season end for Flutie? Lost his next 9 starts. What I said was It did not neccesarily follow from what I was saying that I though Johnson was a better option. Nothing like misrepresenting someone's oppinion.

And how was that team the year before Flutie came on? And who was he throwing to? Who was blocking.

Tomlinson, in his rookie yr, only averaged 3.5 ypc that year. It was a sorry team.

And how was that team the year before Flutie came on? And who was he throwing to? Who was blocking.

Tomlinson, in his rookie yr, only averaged 3.5 ypc that year. It was a sorry team.

I thought you said Flutie raised the play of everyone around him? Whta you are saying here contradicts that.

He lost his only playoff start with the Bills when he fumbled after being sacked on the Miami 1yd line with seconds left to go. Somehow the Flutie magic escaped him that day. Funny how none of the Flutie fans remember that, but it's also telling how people blame RJ for the Titans loss when he drove us to what should have been the winning FG. I guess THAT is the Flutie magic...he's remembered for being better than he really was.

PTR

I just watched that play on the hulu link somone posted. Looks to me like the culprit on the play was Thurman Thomas. that was his man that got Flutie. Thurman's block was, shall we say, lacking. Trace Armstrong shook him like swatting a fly. Flutie had a great game. Were all 4 fumbles Flutie's fault? One was, but the other 3? He threw for 380 yards in that game.

As someone else said, it is a team game.

Jimmie Johnson though, what an ass.

Flutie was only good if teams couldn't gameplan for him. Once teams had film on him from a few games he was terrible. As soon as he was forced to be a pocket passer he couldn't do anything. Having said that it doesn't follow from what I was saying he was a wrose option than Johnson and I really don't want to re-open that debate.

IMO, the "magic" :P died on a Monday night against the Jets w/ Belichick as the DC. Instead of bringing the heat and allowing Flutie to scramble and improvise, his D held contain on him, didn't overpursue, clogged the underneath short to mid routes, and dared him and his arm to get the ball more than 10 yards downfield. The blueprint was there, and as you said, as soon as he had to be a traditional QB, it was over.

I have to give Flutie props for a lot of things but he rarely if ever accepted responsibility or blame.

I remember him being ABSOLUTELY horrendous against the NYG on a beautiful October day- the NYG had practice squad players in their secondary that day and after the game Flutie could not bring himself to say he had a bad day, of course he had an exuse for everthing.

Sorry Dougie,... when you bounce the ball to your receivers all day - YOU suck.

I don't remember him ever taking responsibility.

His followers are the same way.

It's just not his fault. It cannot be.

Let me just educate you on one of the basic truths of football...it's a team game and while he played well in 98, to say he played well in 99 is ridiculous to say the least...the #1 defense in the league carried the team and kept the team winning when the egotistical midget refused to throw the ball to wide open receivers with regularity. Moulds and Reed were wide open a lot when Flutie decided to tuck and run...drives that would've ended with TDs with a real QB stalled and brought Chris Mohr onto the field thanks to the midget.

Giving credit to any single player for wins-losses is ignorant as well as insulting to that player's teammates, regardless of position.

Couldn't say it better.

And have you noticed that more and more people, media and fans alike, discuss players in this manner (especially Qb's )? " HE just wins football games" or "HE has a x-x record" God I hate that... All Quarterbacks throughout the history of football have a 0-0 record.

But I bet you blame RJ for losing the Titans game.

PTR

Wade Phillips' quote from the Top 10 quarterback controveries: "In hindsight, Doug would have won us the game." That's coming from the coach that pulled Flutie for Johnson. What do you have to say about that Promo?

Flutie 21-10 as Bills starter. Last QB to have a winning record in a Bills uniform. I would take him over any other QB in Bills history other than Kelly.

The Bills were 21-10, not Flutie

No QB has a winning or losing record

Like Philsters example, you gonna give Flutie credit for wins in 99' ??? Seriously??

The bills D was dominant and affected games far more than the Flute-Meister.