Flutie was a STUD !!

Man i just watched a Bills classic video on Rumblings & i don't care who you are or what you say Flutie was not only a winner with more heart than most but he was a Stud when it came to Q.B. :P

I don't know, that second year he couldn't make all the throws anymore. His running and playmaking was superb right up to the end, but if we'd gotten him two or three years earlier, things would really have been different, IMHO.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bull :P !!!!!! Stiffer comp my :wallbash: !!! he was a reject just look at his career achievements & compare them to Fluties come on put some glasses on so you can read the righting on the wall right in front of you !!!!!

No, it really was much tougher teams that Johnson played. Luck of the draw, but Johnson played most of the tougher teams that year. I didn't think they should have switched Flutie for Johnson, I'd have kept Flutie for that playoff game. But Johnson did as good a job as possible with that extremely tough defense and our horrible o-line.

IMO, the "magic" :P died on a Monday night against the Jets w/ Belichick as the DC. Instead of bringing the heat and allowing Flutie to scramble and improvise, his D held contain on him, didn't overpursue, clogged the underneath short to mid routes, and dared him and his arm to get the ball more than 10 yards downfield. The blueprint was there, and as you said, as soon as he had to be a traditional QB, it was over.

Exactly.

We were winning when he left the field, which is more than you can say about Doug Flutie's playoff day. This comment proves my point. People make excuses for Flutie. He never lost a game, the rest of the Bills team let him down.

PTR

Why do fans like yourself blame Flutie for the playoff loss vs Miami? Why isn't the blame put on Eric Moulds and Andre Reed?

Eric Moulds was running for a sure TD, then gets the ball popped out from behind him and the Dolphins recover.

Andre Reed gets tackled at the goaline and thinks it's a touchdown, but the ref's signal down at the goaline. Reed pleads his case but the ref still says down at the goaline. Then Reed has a hissy hit and hits the ref in the back with the football, getting a game ejection and a 15 yard personal foul penalty. So instead of it being 1st and goal at the goaline, it's 1st and goal at the 15 and we had to settle for a FG. Reed, a veteran WR on the team should have had more composure and kept his cool, he should be held accountable for the loss.

With Flutie's fumble, watch it on youtube, Flutie was in throwing motion and Trace Armstrong's helmet blasts Flutie right in the right arm pit. I'm sorry, but that wasn't a cheesy Drew Dledsoe fumble, any QB in the league would have fumbled on the hit from Trace Armstrong.

Flutie 21-10 as Bills starter. Last QB to have a winning record in a Bills uniform. I would take him over any other QB in Bills history other than Kelly.

Taking him over Ferguson or Kemp shows that you are not to be taken seriously.

Couldn't say it better.

And have you noticed that more and more people, media and fans alike, discuss players in this manner (especially Qb's )? " HE just wins football games" or "HE has a x-x record" God I hate that... All Quarterbacks throughout the history of football have a 0-0 record.

That says it all.

Wade Phillips' quote from the Top 10 quarterback controveries: "In hindsight, Doug would have won us the game." That's coming from the coach that pulled Flutie for Johnson. What do you have to say about that Promo?

To add to that, I like Rich Eisen at the end of that show laughing in disbelief saying "Rob Johnson was in a quarterback controversy?!"

He lost his only playoff start with the Bills when he fumbled after being sacked on the Miami 1yd line with seconds left to go. Somehow the Flutie magic escaped him that day. Funny how none of the Flutie fans remember that, but it's also telling how people blame RJ for the Titans loss when he drove us to what should have been the winning FG. I guess THAT is the Flutie magic...he's remembered for being better than he really was.

PTR

Funny how all Flutie haters can't remember that he also threw the game winning touchdown in that game on the first offensive play, to Moulds, who showboated and fumbled the ball when he could have jogged into the endzone. Fact is since Flutie there have been no palyoffs and no 300 yard games. Flutie and Johnson played against each other when Flutie went to SD, how did that one turn out?

Funny how all Flutie haters can't remember that he also threw the game winning touchdown in that game on the first offensive play, to Moulds, who showboated and fumbled the ball when he could have jogged into the endzone. Fact is since Flutie there have been no palyoffs and no 300 yard games. Flutie and Johnson played against each other when Flutie went to SD, how did that one turn out?

Also, funny how all of the Flutie lovers revere him like a deity... like... like... DIT-KA and da BEARS. Fact is he was a gadget player who had some good games, made some unconventional plays that were fun to watch, benefited from a great defense in '99, and ultimately wasn't the answer at QB (both from an age and talent standpoint)... a reality that people who neither loved nor hated him likely realized the entire time he was in Buffalo. The shame of the situation is his "emergence" kept the team from evaluating RJ, realizing he wasn't the answer, and finally moving on for 3 seasons longer than it should have.

You may want to check some of Bledsoe's #s, as he put up a number of 300 yard games, as well as a couple 400 yarders. I think JP had a couple, also. There may be no 300 yard games on the current roster, or in the last ~30 games, but none since Flutie is an egregious overstatement that betrays your proclivity to worship at the alter of Flutie.

You may want to check some of Bledsoe's #s. I think JP had a couple, also. There may be no 300 yard games on the current roster, or in the last ~30 games, but none since Flutie is an egregious overstatement.

You are correct, the Flutie curse does nto run that deep, there have been 300 yard games, just no playoffs...but who cares about playoffs.

He wasn't a "stud". He was embraced because he was the first QB since Kelly to play half-way decent football.

His best season as a Bill was almost identical to JP Losman's best season in Buffalo:

Player----Year----Comp.----Att.----%----Yds----YPA----TD----INT----Rat

Flutie------'99-----264-------478---55.2---3,171--6.6-----19----16-----75.1

Losman---'06-----268-------429---62.5---3,051--7.1-----19----14-----84.9

But let's not base it on one year, let's look long-term...

Here's a comparison between Flutie's career #s and the career #s of a "mystery" QB (scroll down for his identity):

Flutie

Player---Starts----Record as starter----Comp.----Att.----%----Yds----YPA----TD----INT----Rat

Flutie------66-----38-28 (57.6% wins)---1,177---2,151--54.7--14,715--6.8----86-----68----76.3

QB#2-----87-----48-34 (55.2% wins)---1,316---2,358--55.8--14,746--6.3----77-----84---70.7

QB#2 = Kordell Stewart

Are some of you serious when you call a guy who's career was only marginally better than Kordell Stewart a "stud"?

I'm sorry, but I disagree.

You are correct, the Flutie curse does nto run that deep, there have been 300 yard games, just no playoffs...but who cares about playoffs.

And who cares about fact when you have a crusade to further, right?

Taking him over Ferguson or Kemp shows that you are not to be taken seriously.

Since I didn't really see Kemp, I can't go there. Ferguson, however, was a long-term QB who shouldn't have been a franchise QB. If it weren't for OJ and the Electric Co, Ferguson would have been a career loser. Oh wait - he was. He could not lead the team to victories, despite the best back and one of the best lines in football... Flutie took a team with a makeshift line and a good defense which were losers in the hands of Rob Johnson and led them to the playoffs 2 years in a row. Yes, football is a team game, but without a LEADER at QB, your team is going no where. The reason I say leader is that talent isn't everything, some of the best QB's in NFL history were great because of leadership, not ability - perfect examples - Joe Montana, Joe Namath, Roger Staubach, Terry Bradshaw . For people who say that QB's winning record is meaningless, don't truly understand the game. Good leaders make the players around them play better. You can't create the intangibles - some guys are just winners and it affects everyone around them. Most stats are meaningless - W-L record is not.

He wasn't a "stud". He was embraced because he was the first QB since Kelly to play half-way decent football.

His best season as a Bill was almost identical to JP Losman's best season in Buffalo:

Here's a comparison between Flutie's career #s and the career #s of a "mystery" QB (scroll down for his identity):

Flutie

Player---Starts----Record as starter----Comp.----Att.----%----Yds----YPA----TD----INT----Rat

Flutie------66-----38-28 (57.6% wins)---1,177---2,151--54.7--14,715--6.8----86-----68----76.3

QB#2-----87-----48-34 (55.2% wins)---1,316---2,358--55.8--14,746--6.3----77-----84---70.7

QB#2 = Kordell Stewart

Are some of you serious when you call a guy who's career was only marginally better than Kordell Stewart a "stud"?

How dare you use statistics to make a point. It takes all the fun out of it.

What I remember most about Flutie was how he divided the team into two ... Flutie backers; and Johnson backers. He managed to do that all by himself, too. I'm not going to say they guy wasn't a winner; he was. Huge football heart; crazy competetiveness; awesome scrambling ability; love what he does for autism research funding.

But I think he single-handedly killed whatever chemistry there was at the time. To this day, my Flutie jersey is the only one to find its way to the trash. I didn't even toss my son's McGahee jersey!! Flutie was the most selfish player, in my opinion, I've ever seen in Buffalo.

Why do fans like yourself blame Flutie for the playoff loss vs Miami? Why isn't the blame put on Eric Moulds and Andre Reed?

Eric Moulds was running for a sure TD, then gets the ball popped out from behind him and the Dolphins recover.

Andre Reed gets tackled at the goaline and thinks it's a touchdown, but the ref's signal down at the goaline. Reed pleads his case but the ref still says down at the goaline. Then Reed has a hissy hit and hits the ref in the back with the football, getting a game ejection and a 15 yard personal foul penalty. So instead of it being 1st and goal at the goaline, it's 1st and goal at the 15 and we had to settle for a FG. Reed, a veteran WR on the team should have had more composure and kept his cool, he should be held accountable for the loss.

With Flutie's fumble, watch it on youtube, Flutie was in throwing motion and Trace Armstrong's helmet blasts Flutie right in the right arm pit. I'm sorry, but that wasn't a cheesy Drew Dledsoe fumble, any QB in the league would have fumbled on the hit from Trace Armstrong.

It's funny that no one even mentions Reed's childish antics. So the Bills go from 1st and goal at goaline in which they would have had 4 tries to make it less than a yard into the endzone, instead they get backed up to the 15 yard line and have to setlle for a FG, good job Reed :beer::wallbash:

Since I didn't really see Kemp, I can't go there. Ferguson, however, was a long-term QB who shouldn't have been a franchise QB. If it weren't for OJ and the Electric Co, Ferguson would have been a career loser. Oh wait - he was. He could not lead the team to victories, despite the best back and one of the best lines in football... Flutie took a team with a makeshift line and a good defense which were losers in the hands of Rob Johnson and led them to the playoffs 2 years in a row. Yes, football is a team game, but without a LEADER at QB, your team is going no where. The reason I say leader is that talent isn't everything, some of the best QB's in NFL history were great because of leadership, not ability - perfect examples - Joe Montana, Joe Namath, Roger Staubach, Terry Bradshaw . For people who say that QB's winning record is meaningless, don't truly understand the game. Good leaders make the players around them play better. You can't create the intangibles - some guys are just winners and it affects everyone around them. Most stats are meaningless - W-L record is not.

Do not confuse single mindedness nor competitive spirit with leadership. IIRC, there was a lot of dissention in the locker room among teammates when Flutie was there.

Also, using Flutie's name in the same sentence with HOF peers will not get him into the HOF.

Flutie

QB#2 = Kordell Stewart

You forget about Flutie's 8 seasons in the CFL during his prime years. He was 104-38 as a starter with 41,355 yards passing, 270 TD vs 155 Ints, a 61.4% completion %, 3 Grey Cup Championships along with 6 MOP awards.

Do not confuse single mindedness nor competitive spirit with leadership. IIRC, there was a lot of dissention in the locker room among teammates when Flutie was there.

Also, using Fluties name in the same sentence with HOF peers will not get him into the HOF.

Quite honestly, Flutie belongs in the Pro-Football Hall of Fame. Although the CFL is a slightly different game, it is still pro-football. And his time there speaks for itself.

He lost his only playoff start with the Bills when he fumbled after being sacked on the Miami 1yd line with seconds left to go. Somehow the Flutie magic escaped him that day. Funny how none of the Flutie fans remember that, but it's also telling how people blame RJ for the Titans loss when he drove us to what should have been the winning FG. I guess THAT is the Flutie magic...he's remembered for being better than he really was.

PTR

Every five years or so, I agree with the robot. This is one of these times.