Is Roscoe a lock to make the team?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this year is a year to get rid of him, with all the uncertanty at wr. We have a lot of young wr, but who knows if any of them will be able to produce. Roscoe's a unique weapon that has been underused the past few years. I think last year everyone wrote him off after that PR fumble during that lame 6-3 loss against the browns, and was used as a scapegoat by jauron after that, but before that he was considered one of the top returners in the league. Hopefully if he's given the chance to produce at the wr position, which he hasn't had the chance to the past few years, he'll be able to make some big plays.

I think Evans is the only vet lock to make the team, everybody else has proved nothing, they better show up in camp & pre-season. Doubt Easley will get cut regardless unless he's a total disaster, doesn't look like one so far.

I think Roscoe is a lock because of his versatility and experience. He's not a liability out there -- I honestly believe our prior coaching staff just didn't know how to use him.

I would be surprised if we kept Roscoe. He is a limited player. We already have punt catchers, and he does nothing at WR. We need punt returners and play makers. I don't see how Roscoe has a roster spot

:rolleyes:

To me he's excess baggage and easily replaced, but according to Rodney McKissic he is a lock to make the team.

penultimate paragraph

Based on what we have seen and heard from this new regime ... no one is a lock and Chan is looking for players who give 100% all the time and whose heads are into winning football.

The only receiver I would say is a lock is Evans ... Gailey wants to win this year and the offense will be his not some coordinator's. So, if Roscoe does the disappearing act again this year and gives a half hearted effort I can see him being out on the waiver wires looking for a team that wants a very short receiver who gets zero added y ardage after his catches and who has the potential of up to five yards gained every time he runs a reverse. Obviously, he is one of the best punt returners in the league when his head is into it.

Would love to see the young players step up and make a difference in some games ...

I don't think I would use the word lock, but I think a lot of us have been scratching our head over Roscoe Parrish's lack of involvement in the offense. Obviously a lot of that blame has to go to his own development, but let's also not forget that we haven't exactly had Bill Walsh calling our offensive plays the last 4 seasons.

I would like to see Roscoe get a shot with a true offensive mind like Gailey. Because, like him or not, 4.3 speed cannot be taught, and his PR ability proves his speed isn't "track star straight line". I think he can be an asset with the ball in his hands, and on a team void of playmakers, I see no reason why he wouldn't be here.

I would like to see Chan use Roscoe in the offense and see if he makes a difference or gets broken. This staff probably won't cut him any breaks because of his speed though, if he's going to be on the roster he needs to know the offense, run good routes and make good decisions. If he doesn't do these things I can see him getting cut. Assuming that Jauron didn't like him, my opinion is he does not stand much of a chance with this new staff.

As I'm writing this, what does it take to get in Jauron's doghouse? I mean really!? The "winning in the NFL is tough" coach finds something to be mad at you about, what is the "winning in the NFL is expected" coach going to do with you?

I've always liked Roscoe, but it seems we have a lot of players can and will return well, and Spiller seems to be the first bet to fill in for many of the "waterbug" roles that Roscoe is so good at. I would think he would be very good trade bait as I think he has a lot to contribute to some team.

I think Roscoe is a lock because of his versatility and experience. He's not a liability out there -- I honestly believe our prior coaching staff just didn't know how to use him.

Agreed

Its lines like this that get me started - people continue to throw out the excuse "the coaches don't know how to use him." He is a liability for a couple of reasons - one, (I do not mean this as harshly as it sounds) he does not have the brains to play in a complicated system. Two, with his size he is easily knocked down or jamed at the line.

They guy was - last year's play specifically puts this in past tense - a very good punt returner. He is a one role player and he needs to go.

Also keep in mind Gailey said he wants bigger bodied wide receivers.

As BuffBill stated, Chan is looking for big guys at WR and Parrish was routinely knocked off patterns. His route running has been questioned as well. We've seen absolutely nothing from Hardy to date that would even remotely suggest he's ready to break out/contribute and Easley would have to be a complete wash out to not make the team. IMO, only Evans & S.Johnson are 'locks' at this point. 'Rosey' has all the cred we've seen from the regimes' first draft: team record holder, leader, injury free and huge production.

"Roosevelt must emerge from a group that includes Chad Jackson, David Nelson, Felton Huggins and Donald Jones. Only Jackson has played more than two seasons in the league."

Since this is his criteria, I like his chances. :rolleyes: (lack of blazing speed notwithstanding)

BTW, how cool would it be to root for a local boy at the NFL level?